Forums45
Topics447,093
Posts6,486,570
Members66,331
Most Online19,184
Feb 5th, 2020
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: 'Lock her up': Girl who mistakenly shot elk 'bullied' as wildlife officials decide her fate [Re: Bucks and Ducks] #6961540 11/15/17 07:08 PM
B
beaversnipe Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted By: Bucks and Ducks
Originally Posted By: beaversnipe
Bad parenting

hammer hammer hammer

Bad parenting
Global warming
Fake news

Next in line please, i said next!

www.TexasPondPoppers.com
Originally Posted by bill oxner
Loved my 4 inches. Well needed.

Hate Russians. Love happy endings. I saw snot fly. cheers

Re: 'Lock her up': Girl who mistakenly shot elk 'bullied' as wildlife officials decide her fate [Re: beaversnipe] #6961541 11/15/17 07:09 PM
hopalong Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: Bucks and Ducks
Bad parenting

hammer hammer hammer

Bad parenting
Global warming
Fake news

Next in line please, i said next!

bush's fault, DAMIT!

lake fork FISHERMANS COVE MARINA - 903 474 7479 reservations

Re: 'Lock her up': Girl who mistakenly shot elk 'bullied' as wildlife officials decide her fate [Re: hetman] #6961542 11/15/17 07:11 PM
B
bassfishinglawyer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
If they aren't specifically permitted, they are considered illegal, according to the code.
"Since there are no rules specifically permitting the shooting/hunting/killing of an elk it is prohibited to do so..."

I wonder if there are rules specifically permitting the killing of a mouse, gerbil, or other similar mammal? If not, that makes for some really bad law and reasoning.

Re: 'Lock her up': Girl who mistakenly shot elk 'bullied' as wildlife officials decide her fate [Re: hetman] #6961549 11/15/17 07:17 PM
B
Brother in-law Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
I'm glad some of y'all aren't in LE

Re: 'Lock her up': Girl who mistakenly shot elk 'bullied' as wildlife officials decide her fate [Re: hetman] #6961550 11/15/17 07:18 PM
B
beaversnipe Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
But then, its perfectly legal to shoot those animals who have been darted and underfed inside a 39 acre high fenced Ďranchetteí
Lmfao

www.TexasPondPoppers.com
Loved my 4 inches. Well needed.

Hate Russians. Love happy endings. I saw snot fly. cheers

Re: 'Lock her up': Girl who mistakenly shot elk 'bullied' as wildlife officials decide her fate [Re: Simple Searcher] #6961561 11/15/17 07:25 PM
D
Duck_Hunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
I wonder how this even hit the media. If the dad did it trying to lobby for support he is an idiot. If a warden did it, he is a turd.
Everything is sensational these days. She should have got a fine, suspended license, etc. and then moved on. But nooooo... everything has got to be on Facebook these days. Crazy.

Good question. I suspect part of it is the news that there are elk in an area elk haven't been seen before. The picture of the dead elk is of the shooter (14 year old girl) and a Missouri Department of Conservation agent that was on site after her dad reported it, which struck me as kind of odd that an MDC agent would pose for a picture with an animal that is under investigation. It makes me feel like even MDC is more shocked that there was an elk in the area than it is concerning a young hunter shot an animal she shouldn't have.

The USA Today article says there is a ranch that has captive elk on the west side of the county, but has not reported any elk escaping.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati...deer/860605001/

Originally Posted By: bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

Re: 'Lock her up': Girl who mistakenly shot elk 'bullied' as wildlife officials decide her fate [Re: hetman] #6961750 11/15/17 09:54 PM
S
Sneaky Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
I bet the ones that want her strung up are the ones that whine the loudest when they get busted.

Re: 'Lock her up': Girl who mistakenly shot elk 'bullied' as wildlife officials decide her fate [Re: Sneaky] #6961756 11/15/17 09:58 PM
G
General Guts Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G
Originally Posted By: Sneaky
I bet the ones that want her strung up are the ones that whine the loudest when they get busted.
whip

Re: 'Lock her up': Girl who mistakenly shot elk 'bullied' as wildlife officials decide her fate [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6961781 11/15/17 10:14 PM
O
Ojai Hunter Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
O
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted By: Navasot
Hard spot but she shouldnt be hunting alone if she cat tell the difference... shes just lucky shes a minor

But she is, and I donít disagree with the alone segment, but she is a minor so I would let her keep some meat, donate rest, and verbally mandate she retake hunters ed.

No way I would be prosecuting this. None zero nada,

I agree, but I don't recall Hunters Ed class teaching us how to identify big game, did yours ?

Re: 'Lock her up': Girl who mistakenly shot elk 'bullied' as wildlife officials decide her fate [Re: Ojai Hunter] #6961786 11/15/17 10:21 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
decoy
decoy
Originally Posted By: Ojai Hunter
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted By: Navasot
Hard spot but she shouldnt be hunting alone if she cat tell the difference... shes just lucky shes a minor

But she is, and I donít disagree with the alone segment, but she is a minor so I would let her keep some meat, donate rest, and verbally mandate she retake hunters ed.

No way I would be prosecuting this. None zero nada,

I agree, but I don't recall Hunters Ed class teaching us how to identify big game, did yours ?

Yes had a picture of an antelope, whitetail and elk, had to pick Whitetail. There was also a trick dove species question...but thatís Texasís Hunter Ed.

No way I would ticket her for an HF escapee

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: 'Lock her up': Girl who mistakenly shot elk 'bullied' as wildlife officials decide her fate [Re: hetman] #6961791 11/15/17 10:27 PM
G
General Guts Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G

Re: 'Lock her up': Girl who mistakenly shot elk 'bullied' as wildlife officials decide her fate [Re: hopalong] #6962004 11/16/17 01:26 AM
G
Grizz Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G
Originally Posted By: hopalong
lol, y'all are funny.

had this been a 35 yo male my guess is that hanging would be the lesser of punishments suggested.

no need to totally screw them over but rules are rules and she broke a few, not intentionally but she still did wrong.

suppose they let her off with a stiff warning, the next guy comes along and shoots a boone and crockett trophy and claims he thought it was a whitetail. they now have a precedent for the next one to get a pass as well.

sorry but it should be the same across the board regardless of age/sex/national origin etc.

jmo

We expect more out of a 35 year old person than a 14 year old. They don't have the same cognitive ability or maturity as an adult. As I stated in the other thread, if she's shooting at brown patches and doesn't know the difference between an elk and a deer she's obviously not ready to hunt on her own. That doesn't mean she needs to be hung out to dry. I think the way the state is handling it is reasonable and fair for all parties. In cases like this, her punishment shouldn't be the same as if I did it. She has the defense of being a dumb kid, I have no defense.

Re: 'Lock her up': Girl who mistakenly shot elk 'bullied' as wildlife officials decide her fate [Re: hetman] #6962301 11/16/17 05:39 AM
T
Txduckman Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
T
I have heard of way more rediculous game being shot by adults only to find out it wasn't what they thought it was. Unless you are that person, who knows what they were thinking. I would give her the benefit of the doubt based on everything I read about it. Dad did right immediately.

Re: 'Lock her up': Girl who mistakenly shot elk 'bullied' as wildlife officials decide her fate [Re: hetman] #6962307 11/16/17 05:47 AM
2Beez Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
No meat, no cape, no horns and no fine. Cool by me but we shall see.

[Linked Image]
Re: 'Lock her up': Girl who mistakenly shot elk 'bullied' as wildlife officials decide her fate [Re: Grizz] #6962334 11/16/17 09:32 AM
hopalong Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: Grizz
lol, y'all are funny.

had this been a 35 yo male my guess is that hanging would be the lesser of punishments suggested.

no need to totally screw them over but rules are rules and she broke a few, not intentionally but she still did wrong.

suppose they let her off with a stiff warning, the next guy comes along and shoots a boone and crockett trophy and claims he thought it was a whitetail. they now have a precedent for the next one to get a pass as well.

sorry but it should be the same across the board regardless of age/sex/national origin etc.

jmo

We expect more out of a 35 year old person than a 14 year old. They don't have the same cognitive ability or maturity as an adult. As I stated in the other thread, if she's shooting at brown patches and doesn't know the difference between an elk and a deer she's obviously not ready to hunt on her own. That doesn't mean she needs to be hung out to dry. I think the way the state is handling it is reasonable and fair for all parties. In cases like this, her punishment shouldn't be the same as if I did it. She has the defense of being a dumb kid, I have no defense.

while I agree with you on a personal level, I think the rules apply straight across the board regardless of age/excuse. if she was on a boys football team should the rules be different for her? once she and dad decided she could hunt solo she became responsible for her actions then dad. to just say "oooops" and do nothing sends a bad msg to others imo, what I suggested earlier was likely lenient compared to what the law says.

I have seen idiots shoot cows, had 2 horses shot, morons that paid 5,000.00 to hunt mule deer and had not a clue what they even looked like. once you start making exceptions you have to make more at some point.

sorry but that is how I think it should be.

I will add that if it was on federal land and you shot an illegal elk you get your backside hung out to dry. back in the early 90s I had to turn in 2 of my elk hunters for a really stupid and really illegal kill, the fbi actually investigated it. 10k ea. for the kill, confiscated custom weatherby rifles from both, lost lifetime hunting in colorado and had to sell their hunting home. most state laws on illegal kills are stiff as well. animals are considered a ward of the govt.

Last edited by hopalong; 11/16/17 09:37 AM.

Re: 'Lock her up': Girl who mistakenly shot elk 'bullied' as wildlife officials decide her fate [Re: hetman] #6962342 11/16/17 10:35 AM
S
scalebuster Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
I shake my head when someone calls law enforcement on themselves and then wonder why they got in trouble. I've even seen people on this forum say they would call the game warden if they shot a short deer in an AR county. I'll bet he wishes he would have left it where it fell or put it in coolers and eased on home.

Re: 'Lock her up': Girl who mistakenly shot elk 'bullied' as wildlife officials decide her fate [Re: hetman] #6962343 11/16/17 10:40 AM
S
Sneaky Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
They typically go easy on anyone, anywhere, if you turn yourself in and itís an obvious mistake. Iíve seen wardens in Colorado issue minor citations for illegally killed elk, and nothing more. They confiscate the animal and send them on their way as if they were writing a speeding ticket. Your example does not relate to this story because you turned the hunters in. They did not turn themselves in.

Re: 'Lock her up': Girl who mistakenly shot elk 'bullied' as wildlife officials decide her fate [Re: Sneaky] #6962363 11/16/17 11:51 AM
hopalong Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
They typically go easy on anyone, anywhere, if you turn yourself in and itís an obvious mistake. Iíve seen wardens in Colorado issue minor citations for illegally killed elk, and nothing more. They confiscate the animal and send them on their way as if they were writing a speeding ticket. Your example does not relate to this story because you turned the hunters in. They did not turn themselves in.

I have seen the same happen a lot, mistakes are made and those who turned themselves in got a lighter treatment. no arguement there. point is they got a citation, some form of punishment was delivered.

my whole point is simple, if you go hunt with the grownups you are susceptible to the same laws/rules etc. as everyone else and responsible for your own actions. they did the right thing but to just say oh well and let it slide sends the wrong message to me.

Re: 'Lock her up': Girl who mistakenly shot elk 'bullied' as wildlife officials decide her fate [Re: hopalong] #6962398 11/16/17 12:45 PM
S
Sneaky Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S

I have seen the same happen a lot, mistakes are made and those who turned themselves in got a lighter treatment. no arguement there. point is they got a citation, some form of punishment was delivered.

my whole point is simple, if you go hunt with the grownups you are susceptible to the same laws/rules etc. as everyone else and responsible for your own actions. they did the right thing but to just say oh well and let it slide sends the wrong message to me.

I can see that. I wouldnít have a problem with a citation. I just donít think it needs to go any further than that.

Re: 'Lock her up': Girl who mistakenly shot elk 'bullied' as wildlife officials decide her fate [Re: hetman] #6962405 11/16/17 12:54 PM
W
whitewing maniac Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Make the girl watch the old wild kingdom shows and nothing else for a year.

Other than that, don't reward family for a huge mistake, donate meat to needy families. Learn from the mistake and move along.

Re: 'Lock her up': Girl who mistakenly shot elk 'bullied' as wildlife officials decide her fate [Re: hetman] #6962406 11/16/17 12:55 PM
D
DPirates80 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Atleast she didn't kill a whooping crane...they would've shown no mercy and send her straight to the gallows hanged

Re: 'Lock her up': Girl who mistakenly shot elk 'bullied' as wildlife officials decide her fate [Re: hetman] #6962423 11/16/17 01:09 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Citation and confiscate animal? Reasonable.
No citation but confiscate animal because sheís a minor? Reasonable.

No citation and letting them keep all of any part of the animal? Uhh, no. Leniency is one thing, coddling is another.

Originally Posted By: Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: 'Lock her up': Girl who mistakenly shot elk 'bullied' as wildlife officials decide her fate [Re: Grizz] #6962504 11/16/17 02:12 PM
H
Hunt n Fish Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted By: Grizz

We expect more out of a 35 year old person than a 14 year old. They don't have the same cognitive ability or maturity as an adult.

Don't know about this. I've met quite a few 35 year olds (and older) who couldn't pour pee out of a boot with the instructions written on the bottom....... 2cents bolt

HnF

"Prayer is when you talk to the Lord, Meditation is when you listen to what he says"
Re: 'Lock her up': Girl who mistakenly shot elk 'bullied' as wildlife officials decide her fate [Re: hetman] #6962513 11/16/17 02:20 PM
G
General Guts Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G
The continuation of sexism on young girls.

Re: 'Lock her up': Girl who mistakenly shot elk 'bullied' as wildlife officials decide her fate [Re: hetman] #6962590 11/16/17 03:07 PM
My stand is pink camo Offline
Kickingbird
Kickingbird
The girl should receive a citation, not allowed to keep the elk, and required to retake the hunters safety course.
Whoever posted it to social media asked for all the critics to voice their negative opinions bang

ďIíll take a good rain or a new calf whenever I can get itĒ -Jack Ratjen
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2019 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide