Print Thread
Why Are So Many Scared to Ship A Long Gun? #6958095 11/13/17 02:42 PM
T
Texasteach Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
Out of all the forums that I frequent (which are many) this is the only forum that sells firearms where no one wants to seem to ship. One of the things about ATF and Texas law is that you can ship that firearm door to door with no FFL within the state. Why are so many reluctant to do so? It is SOOOOOOO simple to do. Scared? Buy only from known members. Transfer money via USPS, ship gun. I have done many this way and never been burned.

You did what?
Re: Why Are So Many Scared to Ship A Long Gun? [Re: Texasteach] #6958127 11/13/17 03:06 PM
The Dude Abides Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Most want cash in hand at the exchange.
Most probably do not have packaging materials (FFL typically will).
Hassle (packaging, going to the post office, dealing with postal clerks that DO NOT know the rules/regs).
Every day Joe may not know what the laws are.

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: Why Are So Many Scared to Ship A Long Gun? [Re: Texasteach] #6958131 11/13/17 03:08 PM
T
Texasteach Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
Lots of sales lost. But, I can see your point.

You did what?
Re: Why Are So Many Scared to Ship A Long Gun? [Re: Texasteach] #6958144 11/13/17 03:16 PM
P
patriot07 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
I agree that most folks just want cash in hand. Having to deal with a money order, cashier's check, personal check, etc. is a pain. Finding a box to ship in is a pain. Finding time to go to a UPS store or USPS that will accept a gun is a pain. I'd much rather give a discount to deal with it locally.

Re: Why Are So Many Scared to Ship A Long Gun? [Re: Texasteach] #6958948 11/14/17 12:05 AM
R
rickt300 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
I believe the rule is you can ship a rifle door to door with no FFL, handguns still have to go through a FFL or is that different now?

Last edited by rickt300; 11/14/17 12:06 AM.
Re: Why Are So Many Scared to Ship A Long Gun? [Re: patriot07] #6958954 11/14/17 12:08 AM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted By: patriot07
I agree that most folks just want cash in hand. Having to deal with a money order, cashier's check, personal check, etc. is a pain. Finding a box to ship in is a pain. Finding time to go to a UPS store or USPS that will accept a gun is a pain. I'd much rather give a discount to deal with it locally.

this, its a PITA

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Why Are So Many Scared to Ship A Long Gun? [Re: Texasteach] #6959074 11/14/17 01:22 AM
M
mbscdh Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
M
For all the reasons listed above. But also, if I am selling I want the person to physically inspect it before they buy it. Also if I am buying I want to physically inspect before I buy.

Re: Why Are So Many Scared to Ship A Long Gun? [Re: Texasteach] #6959348 11/14/17 04:10 AM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I've bought two from this forum.

First was a guy I didn't know well. He gave me a home address to mail payment to, and I did. He confirmed payment, and sent it USPS. Zero trouble.

Second was a guy I had seen quite a bit. I told him I would take it on a Thursday, but would not be able to send payment until Monday. Saturday it was at my gate, and I had not paid for it yet. I let him know it arrived, and was so surprised he already sent it. He said, "I know you'll pay for it, I've seen you around." Monday morning I didn't put it in my mailbox, but walked it into the post office.

So, it boils down to whom is selling, and whom is buying. There's plenty of guys arohnd here that if they said they wanted it, I'd send it without having been paid for it. If they said they'd pay for it, they will. Then there's plenty I don't know well enough that I would require face to face, and cash.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Why Are So Many Scared to Ship A Long Gun? [Re: Texasteach] #6960621 11/15/17 01:34 AM
B
Bradgrace Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
I sold one recently on here and shipped it. Boxed it up in the original box then when by my ffl to put it in another box so it wouldn't be obvious it was a gun. I went to a a ups store and they asked me what it was as soon as I walked in the door, not wanting to cause any issues further down the road I told them it was a rifle. The guy shut me down and said go to the regional ups hub. Went there they asked what it was and I was told no again. Called fed ex and usps they all said no as we'll. I ended up printing a ups label online and taking it to a staples drop off center and it arrived without a hiccup to my buyer.

Yes it's legal to do but it sure doesnt seem like the shipping places want any part of it. It's pretty obvious its a rifle in a box that size so I'm sure that's why they asked but at the end of the day I guess you don't have to tell them what's in the box.

Re: Why Are So Many Scared to Ship A Long Gun? [Re: Texasteach] #6960668 11/15/17 02:13 AM
G
Growley Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
G
I sold and shipped one recently. Went to a UPS hub and was told no and that it was company policy. Went to
a FedEx hub and it was no problem at all. I was in and out in a few minutes. Very easy.

Re: Why Are So Many Scared to Ship A Long Gun? [Re: J.G.] #6960936 11/15/17 12:37 PM
M
Marc K Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
M
I ship rifles and shotguns all of the time, via FedEx Ground. I ship them in a locked hard case, which goes in a cardboard box. No markings indicating that it a firearm and no ammo in the same box of course.

I also ship guns to myself in other states where I will be shooting. This does not require an FFL. It is perfectly legal according to ATF rules as long as the receiving party outside of Texas holds it for me and does open the package. I mark the packages "Hold for Marc Kurth only - do not open package"

Some folks ship their "golf clubs" all over the country, ahead of a trip..........

Marc

Last edited by Marc in Bastrop; 11/15/17 12:45 PM.

A Democracy is when two wolves and a lamb vote on the dinner menu. That is why this country was specifically not designed as a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.
Re: Why Are So Many Scared to Ship A Long Gun? [Re: Texasteach] #6960941 11/15/17 12:47 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I simply don’t want to mess with shipping.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Why Are So Many Scared to Ship A Long Gun? [Re: Texasteach] #6961506 11/15/17 06:49 PM
T
Texasteach Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
I ship from the U.S. Post Office quite a bit. Nothing to it. Sure the heck beats driving two hours to meet someone. But, I value my time.

You did what?
Re: Why Are So Many Scared to Ship A Long Gun? [Re: The Dude Abides] #6961526 11/15/17 06:59 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Originally Posted By: TXGUNNER308
Most want cash in hand at the exchange.
Most probably do not have packaging materials (FFL typically will).
Hassle (packaging, going to the post office, dealing with postal clerks that DO NOT know the rules/regs).

Every day Joe may not know what the laws are.

For me it's those two items.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Why Are So Many Scared to Ship A Long Gun? [Re: J.G.] #6961660 11/15/17 08:39 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
I've bought two from this forum.

First was a guy I didn't know well. He gave me a home address to mail payment to, and I did. He confirmed payment, and sent it USPS. Zero trouble.

Second was a guy I had seen quite a bit. I told him I would take it on a Thursday, but would not be able to send payment until Monday. Saturday it was at my gate, and I had not paid for it yet. I let him know it arrived, and was so surprised he already sent it. He said, "I know you'll pay for it, I've seen you around." Monday morning I didn't put it in my mailbox, but walked it into the post office.

So, it boils down to whom is selling, and whom is buying. There's plenty of guys arohnd here that if they said they wanted it, I'd send it without having been paid for it. If they said they'd pay for it, they will. Then there's plenty I don't know well enough that I would require face to face, and cash.

This has been my experience. No problems whatsoever when following these guidelines. Much easier to sell to the whole state rather than the area you live in. up

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Why Are So Many Scared to Ship A Long Gun? [Re: Texasteach] #6961837 11/15/17 11:15 PM
B
breadman Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
B
fedex has always been hassle free for me. no problems at all.

Re: Why Are So Many Scared to Ship A Long Gun? [Re: Texasteach] #6962123 11/16/17 02:37 AM
B
bphillips Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Any time I have one for sale its one I'm willing to sell not one I have to. Since there is no urgency or really no need to get it gone I won't deal with the hassle of going place to place or finding the boxes and packing material necessary. If the buyer just has to have it and wants it shipped they could pay the extra for FFL shipping and transfer

[Linked Image]
Re: Why Are So Many Scared to Ship A Long Gun? [Re: bphillips] #6962269 11/16/17 04:47 AM
T
Tactical Cowboy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: bphillips
Any time I have one for sale its one I'm willing to sell not one I have to. Since there is no urgency or really no need to get it gone I won't deal with the hassle of going place to place or finding the boxes and packing material necessary. If the buyer just has to have it and wants it shipped they could pay the extra for FFL shipping and transfer

But ffl/transfer isn't needed within the state...

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Re: Why Are So Many Scared to Ship A Long Gun? [Re: Texasteach] #6962299 11/16/17 05:39 AM
Bee'z Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Too much trouble and Buzz is only 40 minutes away anyway lol. He has good chit too.

[Linked Image]
Re: Why Are So Many Scared to Ship A Long Gun? [Re: Texasteach] #6962321 11/16/17 06:38 AM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
On a rifle I sold on this forum that I had originally purchased from the importer years before, I was contacted by ATF doing a reverse trace. When I asked why, all they could tell me was it was involved in a criminal investigation but some little things in in our conversation made me think the person was probably being investigated for unlicensed dealing. It could have been anything. I had an FFL when the rifle was purchased, but since expired. I had required a copy of drivers license from the buyer and logged the info in my bound book anyway. ATF was happy with that info and it took me out of the loop so I was happy too. I have no problem shipping person to person in State, but CYA if the buyer balks at providing identification, it kills the deal with me as it should with anyone.

Re: Why Are So Many Scared to Ship A Long Gun? [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #6962327 11/16/17 07:21 AM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Originally Posted By: Tactical Cowboy
Originally Posted By: bphillips

But ffl/transfer isn't needed within the state...

Not needed but simplifies shipping a lot. What with the USPS not knowing their rules a lot of the time and driving to a UPS hub to get it done correctly.

Last edited by kmon1; 11/16/17 07:22 AM.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide