Forums46
Topics536,986
Posts9,719,146
Members86,987
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Anyone have a big pup that just doesn't want to stay with you?? #6956742 11/12/17 02:29 PM
P
pharmvet Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
P
Took my 10 mo old pup out this weekend. Put him on the ground several times and he just doesn't have any interest in staying with me. Had a Garmin on him and he would routinely be 500-700 yds from me. Just doing his own thing. Might come through once during a hunting round. Would drink some water, then just head out on another solo adventure. Very discouraging. Any hope for him? Have you ever had one act like this? Did they ever start hunting with you? Suggestions welcome.

Re: Anyone have a big pup that just doesn't want to stay with you?? [Re: pharmvet] #6956782 11/12/17 03:08 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
The one I now have would simply bolt a few times. Other times she was right where I wanted her to be.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Anyone have a big pup that just doesn't want to stay with you?? [Re: pharmvet] #6956783 11/12/17 03:09 PM
68rustbucket Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I have one. 3 months at trainer, 1 month in Montana. Lost dog twice when first put on the ground in Montana. She finally came around in Montana, according to trainer. Will hunt her next weekend and see for myself

Re: Anyone have a big pup that just doesn't want to stay with you?? [Re: pharmvet] #6956793 11/12/17 03:24 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
The rancher is still seeing one I lost last February like that. I never thought a dog could live this long on its own. He never did care for people, and was scared of everyone.The rancher has tried to trap him several times but he won't fall for it. He said the check cord was shorter every time he saw him and is now down to nothing. I don't know why he hasn't shot him, the collar is bound to be cutting into his neck.

Re: Anyone have a big pup that just doesn't want to stay with you?? [Re: pharmvet] #6956808 11/12/17 03:41 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
wouldn't do that but one time with me.

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Anyone have a big pup that just doesn't want to stay with you?? [Re: colt45-90] #6956816 11/12/17 03:53 PM
B
bobcat1 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I'd be mounted horseback if I had him. You could see him and correct him when he did not turn to your voice or whistle. You can take range out of them but you can't put it in them. My kind of dog. He may be a wild and rambunctious pup and start hunting for you. Just go your way since you have a Garmin. When he is not going with you turn him with the collar. I won National dog of the year with one just like that and he went on to win a Horseback Shooting Dog Championship and a couple of Runner-Ups. He was not meant to foot hunt though. Horse or 4 wheeler but he would turn and go to the front with my voice or whistle.

Bobby Barnett

Re: Anyone have a big pup that just doesn't want to stay with you?? [Re: pharmvet] #6956827 11/12/17 03:59 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Direction is more important than distance up to a point.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Anyone have a big pup that just doesn't want to stay with you?? [Re: pharmvet] #6956917 11/12/17 05:50 PM
68rustbucket Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I had mine turning to go with me using the collar late last season. But I would never put her on the ground without the GPS collar, also it was her first season to hunt. I should be able to have more control this season, The shinnery will slow her down

Re: Anyone have a big pup that just doesn't want to stay with you?? [Re: pharmvet] #6956977 11/12/17 06:43 PM
L
LABIRDDOG Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
L
Time and birds will help sometime with collar corrects. Seen one like to hang out at 700 and 800 yds when she was young. Made hell of a bird in the end. She became the type of dog that if she went thru a place and found no birds. It probably wasn't worth going back. She never wasted time on dead birds, didn't care to back either, but on birds she was money. Lived life to find live ones was her motto.

Re: Anyone have a big pup that just doesn't want to stay with you?? [Re: pharmvet] #6956983 11/12/17 06:48 PM
L
LABIRDDOG Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
L
Sent you a PM

Re: Anyone have a big pup that just doesn't want to stay with you?? [Re: pharmvet] #6957107 11/12/17 08:37 PM
A
arandy Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
A
pharmvet have you done any whistle training with an e collar on the pup? I have one that would not pay me any respect until I put a second collar around his middle and now he pays more attention to the whistle. He wants to love on me now when he hears the beep.First time I shocked his belly the light came on. I've been letting the dog run loose a lot with a gps collar on him and he rolls on out but where he used to go miles it's now usually less than 500 yards and then he comes to see about me so I think me and him are going to be alright. I would not be too disappointed over any of it at 10 months though. A wide running pup equals potential.

Re: Anyone have a big pup that just doesn't want to stay with you?? [Re: pharmvet] #6957162 11/12/17 09:35 PM
B
blanked Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Bond with the pup. Don't leave him outside in the kennel at night. As long as he is pointing and holding birds let him roll. That's why you have a GPS on him

Re: Anyone have a big pup that just doesn't want to stay with you?? [Re: pharmvet] #6957194 11/12/17 10:10 PM
T
TDH09 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
This is an easy fix.

Take your pup out to grounds you are familiar with.

When he is out running, hide from the dog. He’ll look for you and when he finds you shower himwith praise. Repeat a few times and he will learn to keep you in sight or at least check in to make sure you are in the area.

Last thing I would do is light the dog up with a shock collar. Not at least until after you have taught him not to run off.

Good luck

Re: Anyone have a big pup that just doesn't want to stay with you?? [Re: pharmvet] #6957403 11/13/17 12:50 AM
T
tigger Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
I love the comments and advice

Tigger
If it isn't white it is not a birddog.

KC
Lying is lying. Don't bitch about one doing it and condone another. That's called hypocrisy.
Re: Anyone have a big pup that just doesn't want to stay with you?? [Re: pharmvet] #6957683 11/13/17 03:17 AM
D
danceswithquail Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
I am real big on a lot of puppy walks, changing direction in an open field, working in hand signals, etc. (e.g. using the old Wolters Gun Dog book method), trying to do at least 5 walks a week. Then switch to a check cord when they get about 14 weeks or so. Have never had a dog that didn't handle when I got them at 7 or 8 weeks old, gotten two started dogs including a year old that self-hunted pretty bad in the pre-GPS day. I got lots of extra walking in chasing Ruby.

Re: Anyone have a big pup that just doesn't want to stay with you?? [Re: pharmvet] #6958123 11/13/17 03:04 PM
R
reeltexan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R

I'll second that. Walks can make a huge difference.

I do like a big runner though. In the field, let her go.

[Linked Image]

"Give me an Army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle... Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war." - General Patton

Re: Anyone have a big pup that just doesn't want to stay with you?? [Re: danceswithquail] #6958398 11/13/17 05:40 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
Originally Posted By: danceswithquail
I am real big on a lot of puppy walks, changing direction in an open field, working in hand signals, etc. (e.g. using the old Wolters Gun Dog book method), trying to do at least 5 walks a week. Then switch to a check cord when they get about 14 weeks or so. Have never had a dog that didn't handle when I got them at 7 or 8 weeks old, gotten two started dogs including a year old that self-hunted pretty bad in the pre-GPS day. I got lots of extra walking in chasing Ruby.
this is the way to go

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Anyone have a big pup that just doesn't want to stay with you?? [Re: scalebuster] #6958682 11/13/17 09:10 PM
W
Wacm Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
Originally Posted By: scalebuster
The rancher is still seeing one I lost last February like that. I never thought a dog could live this long on its own. He never did care for people, and was scared of everyone.The rancher has tried to trap him several times but he won't fall for it. He said the check cord was shorter every time he saw him and is now down to nothing. I don't know why he hasn't shot him, the collar is bound to be cutting into his neck.

Dude I'm sorry but that's crazy and even a bit funny....especially the check cord part...holy cow...that is unreal.

As for your dog Pharmvet...mine was like that and I ended up taking her everywhere with me for a few weeks and she got better. A good friend who is a trainer had me working on whoa. He David she has to see the difference. We shot a ton of pen birds over her so she saw when she hunts with me we get to kill birds. I did all sorts of things though... honestly I think the time spent with her did it though.

Re: Anyone have a big pup that just doesn't want to stay with you?? [Re: pharmvet] #6958688 11/13/17 09:14 PM
W
Wacm Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
Sorry auto correct messed that up. Point I was making...when she would get way out there.....hunting by herself. She would push birds.
We kept working her on whoa and when she pointed I would tell her whoa....trainer said it's mostly to let her know I'm coming...we are together. I hate yelling whoa...eventually you won't have to...it worked with mine.

Re: Anyone have a big pup that just doesn't want to stay with you?? [Re: pharmvet] #6958955 11/14/17 12:09 AM
68rustbucket Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Quick touch on e-collar is easier than yelling whoa

Re: Anyone have a big pup that just doesn't want to stay with you?? [Re: 68rustbucket] #6958999 11/14/17 12:38 AM
N
NorthTXbirdhunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
^^^^THIS^^^^

Plus add the Check Cord to grind him down a little.

However you do it, you have got to get his attention.

A little light dose of electricity may clean his ears out a little.

Re: Anyone have a big pup that just doesn't want to stay with you?? [Re: Wacm] #6959025 11/14/17 12:55 AM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted By: Wacm
Originally Posted By: scalebuster

Dude I'm sorry but that's crazy and even a bit funny....especially the check cord part...holy cow...that is unreal.

As for your dog Pharmvet...mine was like that and I ended up taking her everywhere with me for a few weeks and she got better. A good friend who is a trainer had me working on whoa. He David she has to see the difference. We shot a ton of pen birds over her so she saw when she hunts with me we get to kill birds. I did all sorts of things though... honestly I think the time spent with her did it though.

A buddy of mine gave me this dog. He was 6 months old when I got him and the last pup out of a litter he had. He was a fine looking dog but no one wanted him because he was standoffish as a pup. He spent the next 6 months in a kennel before I got him and didn't know his name. My friend gave him to me to see if I could do anything with him. I had him a week before I could touch him. I kept him a month and had him coming to me but not collar conditioned. He was strange and I wanted to see how he ran before I put anymore time into him. I'll never put another dog down before I have them trained on the shock collar. I put him out on a pasture where I could see him for a mile. I spent the rest of the day trying to catch that goofy bastard. I'm glad I didn't have a GPS collar on him. The only way I would have gotten it back would have been with my 22-250.

I don't know if it was a blessing or a curse that I lost him. He must be a hell of a hunter and tough as nails to survive with all of the coyotes we have. Probably would have made a good one after he was broke. There's a friendly dog in the kennel where he was. She pointed her first wild birds last weekend, and I really like her.

Re: Anyone have a big pup that just doesn't want to stay with you?? [Re: pharmvet] #6959061 11/14/17 01:12 AM
68rustbucket Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
My pup acted the same, last one in the litter and standoffish. Wish I could have been in Montana when she took off. Trainer found her, released her and she broke and ran again. He said the first time the gps said 990 yards then she dropped off into a “coolie”, then lost communication. Got her stopped with e-collar. Still had to walk in 500 yards to where she was standing. Didn’t get much info on the second break and run, and didn’t ask

Re: Anyone have a big pup that just doesn't want to stay with you?? [Re: pharmvet] #6960761 11/15/17 03:42 AM
M
Mundo Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
U should be able to whoa a dog anywhere in the field. I like the Smith method that teaches the dog to whoa on very low level of stimulation. I stopped a dog trained this way 300 yards out today and changed her direction.

Last edited by Mundo; 11/15/17 03:44 AM.
Re: Anyone have a big pup that just doesn't want to stay with you?? [Re: pharmvet] #6960898 11/15/17 11:58 AM
D
danceswithquail Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
on scalebusters "feral pointer" above I bought my dad a pup about 12 years ago for his birthday, mainly because my wife drew the line at three dogs and I wanted a fourth to be able to have two braces going all day. He took her out once when she about 10 mos old and he and buddy couldnt control her. Dad and I went to a lease we had at the time in Archer City, and I drove up to the top of a hill that was about 80 foot higher than rest of the pasture. We let her out and dad stepped into a rabbit hole and then fell onto a rock and banged his ribs pretty hard. It took me about 3 minutes to get him up and walking. When I ran to edge of hill, Abbey had vanished out of the mile visibility we had from the hill. I started shocking her to no avail, and we spent about three hours driving the 2000 acres and never saw her. I put up signs before we left in town and probably got two calls a day from locals that would see her run down main street or be running in a bar ditch, but when you approached she would kick it into high gear and skedaddle. When she finally got hungry 10 days later, a rancher that had seen her three or four times coaxed her up to him with a piece of bread. Called me said he had caught finally caught the town mascot, and looks like a coyote might have bit her tail but then probably got left in the dust after that because no other wounds on her. We took her to a trainer to see if he could break her and he said he had lost her twice, this dog is a horseback dog and will always be a horseback dog, and you better have a horse that is in damn good shape so we traded her for a walking dog that dad still has. The trainer put a little time into her and sold her for big dollars and she placed second in her first 3 hr horseback trial. I made contact with the handler in NC and called him about 18 mos later and she had placed or won in about every regional trial she was entered in and was working her way her up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide