Print Thread
Fayette County ??'s #6952145 11/08/17 11:54 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Looks like I'll get to "hunt" with my BinL down there this weekend...gonna be more of a 2 old farts telling war stories while sharing a blind, hiding out from the sister's shopping trips looking for antiques somewhere, most likely. Would be nice to spend some $$'s at Eckerman's on VENISON for a change.

Ya'll get any rain today? Anderson County got a little and a lot of drizzle, but it was sumthin enough to get the pine needles to drop some more...NOT the retirement career I had envisioned, trying to get away from Lake Texoma's feet deep oak leaf blizzards every time the wind blows in November.
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: Fayette County ??'s [Re: WileyCoyote] #6952157 11/09/17 12:04 AM
B
Big8 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I am on the edge of Bastrop and Lee county line and we didn't see much, The rain seemed to be more north and west. There should be descent rut activity this weekend, good luck to you!

Re: Fayette County ??'s [Re: WileyCoyote] #6952191 11/09/17 12:30 AM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
'8 ...thx for the response. This is a last minute deal that's been talked about for years, and put together in the last 24 hours...so I'm not expecting to see a Bambi's grandaddy. I AM taking a shooter though so we'll see what happens. Saw a nice 8 last spring out the back window, sitting at the breakfast table, with lots of mass, that'd I'd not hesitate on.
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

Re: Fayette County ??'s [Re: WileyCoyote] #6952211 11/09/17 12:43 AM
B
Big8 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
You can't go wrong hunting with family, I wish you the best of luck.

Re: Fayette County ??'s [Re: WileyCoyote] #6952300 11/09/17 01:56 AM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Good luck and yall have fun.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Fayette County ??'s [Re: WileyCoyote] #6953000 11/09/17 04:37 PM
C
CisternStoreHunter Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
C
Where about in Fayette County will you be? In my part I still havent had bucks running crazy, but we're close

Re: Fayette County ??'s [Re: WileyCoyote] #6956714 11/12/17 01:59 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Well the "Family Deer Hunt" went well enough that everybody is smiling, and making plans for future hunts are in the works. As mentioned earlier the I am the "baby" of the family at 73 and the BinL and his other BinL are both in their early 80's...and all of us qualify as grumpy old farts used to being in charge of anything and everything around us.

My last box of several years old leftover 270 reloads, in the recipe right off the Hodgdon 4831SC bottle, WLR's, under pre NBT 130gr Nosler FBSP's load still work as well on game as it did from the '70's, and the BACO M70 shoots them in MOA'ish +/- groups when I am able to get past my old age & medical issues at my normal hunting range distances.... life is good...now if the other 3 shooters in the rack will perform as well I'm gonna be done swapping deer shooters.

We saw lots of does in small family groups, everywhere from the back yard to the side of the hiway from south of Round Top down to Fayetteville and several very young bucks with delusions of granduer trying to get the does interested, but no educational shows.

We never did see a prime buck, but the does were always nervously checking their "six". Thought I'd bust a gut trying not to laugh out loud watching a dominant doe chasing one pencil headed young feller away from a very young coy acting doe..reminding me of a watchful grandma with her broom wail on a older teen aged boy I saw one time in Mexico, protecting her barely teen aged grand daughter.

The cull buck I shot was beat to crap with one antler busted off about 3-4"s over his head, with the clean break broomed off about double the diameter of the antler shaft, and a knarly fork horn on the other side he was so old and in obvious decline, and heavy enough that we nearly didn't get him up into the back of the ATV. He was running with a yearling unforked pencil headed buck that boogied at my shot, but turned to watch us at about 100 yards away, but I didn't want to take 2 of them anyway, and BinL has his sights on something he's targeted for the last remaining spot on his trophy wall and been watching for a couple years as probably his Last Deer, and not willing to just shoot anything that wanders along at this point, even to the point of carrying his heavily sporterized late 50's era '03A3 30'06 1st good deer rifle on this hunt with me.

IMO the Rut down there is reeeal close but we did not see any rubs or scrapes, but then the pasture grass is knee deep where it's not not been mowed for hay. BinL's place is a ways north of Fayetteville. Only downer on this trip was not being able to work out the time and distance logistics to have Eckermans process this deer.
Ron

Re: Fayette County ??'s [Re: WileyCoyote] #6956866 11/12/17 04:45 PM
D
dctcbs247 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
D
We hunt in Muldoon. On opening weekend, there wasn’t much rutting activity. The weather sucked....89 deg and 10 mph SSE winds. We saw a fair amount of young deer. My buddy shot a nice mature 8pt, and I passed on a yearling 3 pt. Even though legal, I just couldn’t bring myself to taking him out. We’ll save him for the kids.

I suspect the rut is progressing well this weekend, but unfortunately, I cannot go again until Thanksgiving week. TPWD shows peak rut right now for S Post Oak Savannah, but the old timers say peak rut is around Thanksgiving. We’ve got some monsters on the cams, so hoping the cooler weather will make them frisky. Best of luck.

Re: Fayette County ??'s [Re: WileyCoyote] #6956881 11/12/17 05:02 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
I'm already "selling" the idea of going back down sometime around the 1st couple weeks of December...just gotta work out all the Holiday travel arrangements for BinL's long list of extended family and friends, as well as my own family obligations.

I was real surprised at not seeing any hog activity, but he sez they are out there, just not a huge problem for him, like they are here in Anderson County.
Ron

Re: Fayette County ??'s [Re: WileyCoyote] #6956889 11/12/17 05:13 PM
D
dctcbs247 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
D
In our area, the hogs are definitely a big problem. Since we installed feeder pens, our sightings have decreased. They do stil tear up the land quite a bit, but their activity is limted to the night. Smart little suckers.

Re: Fayette County ??'s [Re: WileyCoyote] #6957545 11/13/17 01:57 AM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Awesome story, Glad y'all had a great time.

Last edited by Erathkid; 11/13/17 02:32 AM.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Fayette County ??'s [Re: WileyCoyote] #6959638 11/14/17 02:15 PM
C
CisternStoreHunter Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
C
I'm from Fayetteville and hunt near Muldoon/Cistern. I would agree with the rut being real close or just now firing up. Only day we have seen anything resembling a rut was a week ago on our coldest day. A lot of big deer around Fayetteville if you're in the right spot.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide