Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics537,006
Posts9,719,380
Members86,987
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
My draw hunt experience- Albert and Bessie Kronkosky SNA #6947620 11/06/17 02:48 AM
J
Jacob645 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
J
Well guys, I'm disappointed to say the least. Before I get into the negative, I would like to say that the staff and volunteers there were all great! Treated us wonderfully and we're super nice. My first complaint was that this hunt is under the Gun Deer Either Sex category. We were only allowed to shoot a spike and a doe. Shouldn't that be Gun Deer Management? We have now lost all of our points in that category since we got drawn. I don't feel like that is fair. Also, in the description it should have noted specifically that the whitetail population was extremely low. It was a high fenced 3,000 acre ranch that was donated to TPWD. Apparently there was a large deer die off about 10 years ago. They noticed some native vegetation thriving without the whitetail in there, so now their goal on this place was to keep the deer population WAY under carrying capacity to keep nurturing the vegetation.

This is in Boerne, TX- the hill country which is loaded with deer and exotics. My Dad sat for 8 hours on the first day and didn't see a deer. This was after "the worst ride to a deer stand he's ever experienced." The roads were TERRIBLE because they don't have the funding to fix them. One guy shot a spike. None of the other 5 hunters saw a deer. I met him up there and hunted Saturday morning. He hunted in the stand with me because they wouldn't let anyone change stands, but they told him he could hunt with me if he wanted. The stand I was in actually had a decent road that we could take our own vehicle to. I shot a spike about 8ish. Another one came out about 30 minutes later which he shot. No one else saw a deer. That evening, we sat in the same blind. Saw nothing until about 4 minutes before legal shooting light ended. A doe and yearling came out, but it was too dark to ethically take a shot. We got back and no one else had gotten anything. One guy sat literally all day long and never saw a deer. There were feeders with corn throwing at all the blinds too. They had been feeding since August. Went this morning, and we didn't see a deer. No one else saw anything either that we heard of.

No one ever saw an exotic, even though it stated unlimited exotics. Why even advertise them if they aren't on the property? I guess they could've said unlimited pterodactyls and velociraptors too. We were VERY fortunate to have gotten our 2 deer. I just feel like it should be known that the goal of this place is to have as few deer as possible, so don't expect typical hill country hunting. My mom saw more deer and exotics from the hotel window than we saw the entire hunt. She had several axis and whitetail come and eat acorns behind the Comfort Inn while we could barely see a deer at all.

I feel even more bad for the youth hunts there. Kids (and parents) are probably expecting to see lots of deer when the put in for a hill country hunt. Only one deer was shot on the youth hunt. It was a 3 point. One thing I thought about was if it is high fenced, with very few deer for the past 10 years, wouldn't there be a ton of inbreeding going on? Is that good for the herd?

Like I said, the staff there was outstanding, but I think TPWD misrepresented this hunt. It should be a Gun Deer Antlerless/Spike hunt with a note that whitetails populations are limited.

Last edited by Jacob645; 11/06/17 03:14 AM.
Re: My draw hunt experience- Albert and Bessie Kronkosky SNA [Re: Jacob645] #6947636 11/06/17 03:00 AM
E
Erny Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
Yikes I drew the either sex hunt in early December. I burned 17 years of points on it. Oh well I still plan on going.

Re: My draw hunt experience- Albert and Bessie Kronkosky SNA [Re: Erny] #6947660 11/06/17 03:17 AM
J
Jacob645 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: Erny
Yikes I drew the either sex hunt in early December. I burned 17 years of points on it. Oh well I still plan on going.

We burned 10 years worth. I'm going to try to contact TPWD and see if they'll reinstate our loyalty points in Gun Deer Either Sex.

We hunted the future "Campsite." It was an old ag field. You had a good field of view there. We were the only ones that did much good. I sincerely hope you see more than we did.

Last edited by Jacob645; 11/06/17 03:18 AM.
Re: My draw hunt experience- Albert and Bessie Kronkosky SNA [Re: Jacob645] #6947679 11/06/17 03:32 AM
E
Erny Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
Good luck on getting the points reinstated. If you do please let me know.

Re: My draw hunt experience- Albert and Bessie Kronkosky SNA [Re: Jacob645] #6947730 11/06/17 04:28 AM
S
swampthang Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
I dont see a tag on my license for pterodactyls? grin Seriously though,sorry you had a bad experience.

Re: My draw hunt experience- Albert and Bessie Kronkosky SNA [Re: Jacob645] #6947742 11/06/17 04:53 AM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Sorry to hear you had a bad experience. I remember seeing that hunt was spike/doe only and wondered why it was there, but they did have that info upfront. The road issue was up front too with the 4x4 recommended statement too. They probably should have put the "exotics in limited numbers" or the no exotics guarantee statement like they do with several other hunts in the category, but I doubt they are going to reinstate your points on those grounds since it was not a drawn exotic or feral hog hunt. Can't hurt to try I guess. I know before they reinstated points for a private lands hunt in grayson county once when some hunters did not notice that county is bow only.

HUNT DATES Nov 03, 2017 – Nov 05, 2017 Dec 01, 2017 – Dec 03, 2017
BAG LIMIT Two White-tailed Deer; Antlerless or Spike Buck; Limit One Buck
Unlimited Feral Hogs
Unlimited Exotic Mammals
HUNT METHODAssigned Blind or Compartment; Vehicles with 4-wheel drive recommended
BAITINGAllowed
PERMITSAvailable: 14Fee per adult: $80.00Fee per youth: $0.00
AGE REQUIREMENTSYouth ages: 8-16Adult minimum age: 17Supervising adult minimum age: 18

Re: My draw hunt experience- Albert and Bessie Kronkosky SNA [Re: Jacob645] #6947884 11/06/17 01:16 PM
J
Jacob645 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
J
I just wish they'd reinstate our points for gun Deer Either sex. I'd be ok with them taking all of our antlerless/spike, since that's what the hunt was. My Dad signed us up for the hunts and assumed all the Gun Deer Either sex included a chance at a big buck.

Re: My draw hunt experience- Albert and Bessie Kronkosky SNA [Re: Jacob645] #6949447 11/07/17 10:28 AM
P
pigplinker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
Originally Posted By: Jacob645
I just wish they'd reinstate our points for gun Deer Either sex. I'd be ok with them taking all of our antlerless/spike, since that's what the hunt was. My Dad signed us up for the hunts and assumed all the Gun Deer Either sex included a chance at a big buck.

I have been on several hunts like this over the last 35+ years. Some you are successful and others not. You were able to take some deer as you stated. I don't think they would likely reinstate your points. You have to read all of the information in the drawings. Not every site has the same rules or bag limits. Good luck next time and enjoy the time with your dad. Some of us don't have that option anymore.

Re: My draw hunt experience- Albert and Bessie Kronkosky SNA [Re: Jacob645] #6952170 11/09/17 12:11 AM
J
Johnny Rocket Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
Two harvested, seemed like a pretty successful hunt to me! It’s called hunting not catching....

Re: My draw hunt experience- Albert and Bessie Kronkosky SNA [Re: Jacob645] #6954409 11/10/17 05:36 PM
B
bossbowman Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: Jacob645
We were only allowed to shoot a spike and a doe. Shouldn't that be Gun Deer Management?
Yes, if they only allowed bucks with spike on both sides should have been gun deer antlerless/spike.

Last edited by bossbowman; 11/10/17 05:37 PM.
Re: My draw hunt experience- Albert and Bessie Kronkosky SNA [Re: Johnny Rocket] #6954445 11/10/17 06:06 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: Johnny Rocket
Two harvested, seemed like a pretty successful hunt to me! It’s called hunting not catching....

Thats what i was thinking.. went on a hunt.. got two deer in the bag... now complaining

Re: My draw hunt experience- Albert and Bessie Kronkosky SNA [Re: Navasot] #6954528 11/10/17 07:33 PM
J
Jacob645 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: Navasot
Originally Posted By: Johnny Rocket

Thats what i was thinking.. went on a hunt.. got two deer in the bag... now complaining

Not complaining about the hunt, just the way it was categorized. You'd be mad if you lost a decade of preference points in the wrong category too.

Re: My draw hunt experience- Albert and Bessie Kronkosky SNA [Re: Jacob645] #6954923 11/11/17 01:25 AM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
I will give you this. If you have been putting in for this hunt every year and assumed the bag limit was the same as it had always been, I could see your argument. For example I looked at the 2014 drawn hunt book and the Albert and Bessie Kronkosky SNA hunt and it had a bag limit then off Two White-tailed Deer; Either Sex; Limit One Buck. But if this year was your first time to apply there and you simply did not bother to read the bag limit before applying, I don't think you have an argument especially since y'all still went on the hunt anyway and came home with the published bag limit for this year.

Re: My draw hunt experience- Albert and Bessie Kronkosky SNA [Re: Jacob645] #6955496 11/11/17 04:07 PM
J
Jacob645 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
J
We've been putting in for it for at least 3 years. We went on the hunt after we found out because we were going to lose our points anyway since we got drawn, so we figured we might as well at least go to try to get something out of it.

Re: My draw hunt experience- Albert and Bessie Kronkosky SNA [Re: Jacob645] #6957819 11/13/17 05:05 AM
B
BowsnRods Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
The 3K ranch before it was taken over by TPWD was loaded with whitetail deer and some really good hill country bucks, I pass by the ranch everyday while traveling on hwy 46. The Kronkowskys and their foundation believed in supplement feeding and growing big whitetail bucks. I had pulled off to the side of the road on numerous occasions to take pictures of the bucks under the oak trees by the caretakers house. This all ended pretty quick after the ranch was turned over to TPWD. I stopped by and visited one day when I say several brand new TPWD trucks parked up at the house and was told they were planning on turning the ranch into the new TPWD regional office and when I asked about opening the ranch to public hunting, I was told there was no plans anytime soon and no funding. I continued to see lots of traffic in and out of the ranch of bird watchers. TPWD spent a ton on remolding the old house for their office and bought more trucks. I never once saw any feed being brought in for the deer to include corn. The deer that I see now in passing which is rare are starving. The only reason there would have been a deer die off on the 3K would have been from neglect in my opinion. This is a true shame for this ranch which was thriving before TPWD took over ownership.

Re: My draw hunt experience- Albert and Bessie Kronkosky SNA [Re: BowsnRods] #6957956 11/13/17 01:15 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: BowsnRods
The 3K ranch before it was taken over by TPWD was loaded with whitetail deer and some really good hill country bucks, I pass by the ranch everyday while traveling on hwy 46. The Kronkowskys and their foundation believed in supplement feeding and growing big whitetail bucks. I had pulled off to the side of the road on numerous occasions to take pictures of the bucks under the oak trees by the caretakers house. This all ended pretty quick after the ranch was turned over to TPWD. I stopped by and visited one day when I say several brand new TPWD trucks parked up at the house and was told they were planning on turning the ranch into the new TPWD regional office and when I asked about opening the ranch to public hunting, I was told there was no plans anytime soon and no funding. I continued to see lots of traffic in and out of the ranch of bird watchers. TPWD spent a ton on remolding the old house for their office and bought more trucks. I never once saw any feed being brought in for the deer to include corn. The deer that I see now in passing which is rare are starving. The only reason there would have been a deer die off on the 3K would have been from neglect in my opinion. This is a true shame for this ranch which was thriving before TPWD took over ownership.
Very true. There were many times I stopped across the road from the house and marveled at the size and amount of Bucks you could see.

Re: My draw hunt experience- Albert and Bessie Kronkosky SNA [Re: BowsnRods] #6958875 11/13/17 11:20 PM
J
Jacob645 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: BowsnRods

We had hunted in Brady the week before, and all they feed was corn. Deer had fat 3/4" thick in places. At the SNA, we both noticed that the spikes we killed had almost no fat reserves on them. After the acorns stop falling, I don't know what they'll eat.

Re: My draw hunt experience- Albert and Bessie Kronkosky SNA [Re: Jacob645] #6959318 11/14/17 03:50 AM
S
Simple Searcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
So they have great vegetation.
They have low deer population.
And you wonder what the few deer are going to eat? Sounds to me like the deer are in pretty dang good shape.
I didn't see the management hunt draw for 3Ks, I must have missed it.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: My draw hunt experience- Albert and Bessie Kronkosky SNA [Re: Simple Searcher] #6959344 11/14/17 04:07 AM
J
Jacob645 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
So they have great vegetation.
They have low deer population.
And you wonder what the few deer are going to eat? Sounds to me like the deer are in pretty dang good shape.
I didn't see the management hunt draw for 3Ks, I must have missed it.

The vegetation that they are trying to preserve is some sort of rare tree. Deer were killing the saplings. I don't know if they were eating them or rubbing on them.

Re: My draw hunt experience- Albert and Bessie Kronkosky SNA [Re: Jacob645] #6959354 11/14/17 04:19 AM
B
BowsnRods Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
The 3K ranch was also known for a very secluded area of the ranch with a stand of maple trees. The saplings in question are most likely maple.

Last edited by BowsnRods; 11/14/17 04:26 AM.
Re: My draw hunt experience- Albert and Bessie Kronkosky SNA [Re: Jacob645] #8377250 09/07/21 10:09 AM
Y
yakinthebox Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Y
I won't lie, after seeing this and several other posts/searches on this and other forums, I called TPWD and withdrew my permit for this place. Maybe it's better now than 4 years ago(probably not), but I'm not willing to burn my points on a crappy hunt.

To the OP, I feel where you're coming from, but man, y'all brought home meat! I've been on 4 different drawn hunts now over the last 5 years and have yet to connect. I'd be very hard pressed to complain if I got anything. But, I do understand because 10 years worth of points is a lot and I might have cried. Lol

Out of curiosity, did you ever call TPWD? Did they help you out?

If you stay ready, you don't have to get ready!
-Anonymous
Re: My draw hunt experience- Albert and Bessie Kronkosky SNA [Re: Jacob645] #8378179 09/08/21 01:24 AM
J
Jacob645 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
J
We called TPWD and reported our experience. Told them that the hunt advertised was not what we were told when we got there. They restored our points in that category.

Re: My draw hunt experience- Albert and Bessie Kronkosky SNA [Re: Jacob645] #8378430 09/08/21 11:37 AM
D
Dodge_Rock Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Jacob645
We called TPWD and reported our experience. Told them that the hunt advertised was not what we were told when we got there. They restored our points in that category.

Folks that work at the TPWD are good people. Glad they made it right for you.

Why I haven't entered the draw for this unit:

https://texashuntingforum.com/forum...6967/re-albert-bessie-kronkosky-sna-hunt

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide