Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics537,757
Posts9,728,736
Members87,039
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
My ultimate packable wilderness survival weapon setup. #6945029 11/03/17 04:25 PM
J
Jungleexplorer Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
J
After a lot of searching and trial and error, I think I have finally created a setup I would be comfortable walking off in the woods with. My focus was three main areas. Reliability, Flexibility and Packability. I chose the .22LR because there is a wide array of ammo for it and a person can carry a large quantity of ammo in different classes (i.e. Hyper velocity, Standard velocity, sub-sonic, etc) for different sizes if game. I chose the Ruger 10/22 Takedown Marine because the platform has been time tested and the gun has less maintenance then others. It is a full size rifle, but also can be taken apart easily and packed in a medium size backpack. When it came to sights, I wanted a simple lightweight compact scope without sacrificing the fixed sights, but I also wanted the scope to be easy to remove for packing. This presented probably the greatest challenge. At long last I have found a system that meets all those criteria.

Here is a video of my setup.

Last edited by Jungleexplorer; 11/03/17 04:28 PM.

I'm sorry for my sins Jesus, please forgive me.

https://sorryformysins.com/

Re: My ultimate packable wilderness survival weapon setup. [Re: Jungleexplorer] #6945085 11/03/17 05:19 PM
P_102 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Personally, since your eyes are going anyway, I'd forget about the irons and go scope only. With that setup you will most likely not have a decent cheek weld for accuracy. Also, when you remove the scope for packing it will not be zeroed when you put it back on. Just my $.02. P_102

Do not trifle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Re: My ultimate packable wilderness survival weapon setup. [Re: Jungleexplorer] #6945275 11/03/17 09:03 PM
B
Bigfoot Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I agree that you have made a good decision. I have also decided to ditch the 556 & switch to the 22lr for a bug out situation. It just makes sense. The riund is plenty capable with different ammo

GO TRUMP!
Re: My ultimate packable wilderness survival weapon setup. [Re: Jungleexplorer] #6945300 11/03/17 09:24 PM
S
SapperTitan Online Content
Taking Requests
Online Content
Taking Requests
S
Jungle do you still hate game wardens?

Re: My ultimate packable wilderness survival weapon setup. [Re: SapperTitan] #6945532 11/04/17 02:13 AM
J
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
J
Originally Posted By: SapperTitan

I never said I hate game wardens and I resent the implication. I have some serious political disagreements with how the institution is setup, but I have nothing against other humans that may hold a position in that institution. They are just people trying to make a living and take care of their family like everyone else.

I respectfully ask you to stop trying to cause an issue on my threads. This thread is about building a compact packable survival weapon, not game wardens. If you want to talk about that, please start your own thread. Thank you.

Re: My ultimate packable wilderness survival weapon setup. [Re: Jungleexplorer] #6945594 11/04/17 03:19 AM
T
tehachapi Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Nicely presented, thanks for the effort.

Re: My ultimate packable wilderness survival weapon setup. [Re: P_102] #6945612 11/04/17 03:55 AM
J
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
J
Originally Posted By: P_102
Personally, since your eyes are going anyway, I'd forget about the irons and go scope only. With that setup you will most likely not have a decent cheek weld for accuracy. Also, when you remove the scope for packing it will not be zeroed when you put it back on. Just my $.02. P_102

To answer your questions. I have had too many scopes fail me in my life to ever rely exclusively on them for a survival weapon. Fixed sights have never failed me and they will always be the most dependable sighting system. This is a survival weapon and Ruger 10/22, not a World class Olympic target rifle. So, accuracy is only going to get so good. I have no trouble putting three bullet in a 1/4 inch group at 30 yards with this setup. That is good enough for survival purposes, so I am not worried about "Check Weld". As far as removing the scope effecting the accuracy. Not on this setup. I have removed and replaced the scope dozens of times and it still shoots in the same place. I actually made a video proving this, but have not published it yet. As soon as I do, I will post it for you so you can see it with your own eyes. I used to be of the same opinion as you though, and did not believe it would hold zero until I actually did some real life testing. I will say this. In order for it to stay true, all systems must be tight.

Re: My ultimate packable wilderness survival weapon setup. [Re: Bigfoot] #6945616 11/04/17 04:01 AM
J
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
J
Originally Posted By: Bigfoot
I agree that you have made a good decision. I have also decided to ditch the 556 & switch to the 22lr for a bug out situation. It just makes sense. The riund is plenty capable with different ammo

For wilderness survival, there is none better then the 22lr. I have killed some pretty large animals with standard velocity (1100 fps +or-) rounds (600lb tapir in the Amazon), so I know that these new Hyper velocity rounds like the Aguilla Interceptor at over 1400 FPS it could do a lot more.

Re: My ultimate packable wilderness survival weapon setup. [Re: Jungleexplorer] #6946512 11/05/17 12:15 AM
B
bigjoe8565 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Love my 10/22 takedown. I have quick detach rings, 3-9x40 scope and threaded for my suppressor. Awesome gun.

Re: My ultimate packable wilderness survival weapon setup. [Re: Jungleexplorer] #6947736 11/06/17 04:35 AM
I
ImTheReasonDovesMourn Offline
Snarky Mark
Snarky Mark
I
Originally Posted By: Jungleexplorer

I never said I hate game wardens and I resent the implication. I have some serious political disagreements with how the institution is setup, but I have nothing against other humans that may hold a position in that institution. They are just people trying to make a living and take care of their family like everyone else.

I respectfully ask you to stop trying to cause an issue on my threads. This thread is about building a compact packable survival weapon, not game wardens. If you want to talk about that, please start your own thread. Thank you.

Don't sweat that clown. He's the biggest troll on this entire forum. Read any of his 22,000+ posts and you'll see that he trolls every subforum and makes dumbass comments that have zero contribution to any topic. If I ever amass 22,000+ comments on any online site, please shoot me, because I will be a no-life, moderator-wanna-be loser.

Your article was very well written and informative. Thank you for contributing.

Originally Posted by KRoyal
Haha yea I polished that thing for hours.
Re: My ultimate packable wilderness survival weapon setup. [Re: ImTheReasonDovesMourn] #6947743 11/06/17 04:53 AM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

Don't sweat that clown. He's the biggest troll on this entire forum. Read any of his 22,000+ posts and you'll see that he trolls every subforum and makes dumbass comments that have zero contribution to any topic. If I ever amass 22,000+ comments on any online site, please shoot me, because I will be a no-life, moderator-wanna-be loser.

up up up clap

Re: My ultimate packable wilderness survival weapon setup. [Re: ImTheReasonDovesMourn] #6948706 11/06/17 09:26 PM
S
Taking Requests
Online Content
Taking Requests
S

Somebody returned from camp grouchy.

Re: My ultimate packable wilderness survival weapon setup. [Re: SapperTitan] #6952496 11/09/17 04:42 AM
I
ImTheReasonDovesMourn Offline
Snarky Mark
Snarky Mark
I

Somebody returned from camp grouchy.

Na, Scotty boy. I'm not grouchy at all. I just don't put up with dudes that talk smack all the time. Not on the internet and sure as hell not in real life. If somebody came off in person the way you come off on the forum, I'd make them back up that nonsense. Although I think your chubby body is better suited for birthing children than backing up your big mouth.

Originally Posted by KRoyal
Haha yea I polished that thing for hours.
Re: My ultimate packable wilderness survival weapon setup. [Re: Jungleexplorer] #6952514 11/09/17 05:02 AM
Bee'z Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Easy Jeremy lol.

[Linked Image]
Re: My ultimate packable wilderness survival weapon setup. [Re: Jungleexplorer] #6952619 11/09/17 12:55 PM
S
Taking Requests
Online Content
Taking Requests
S
Geez remember when this forum was full of men that could talk smack back and fourth without getting butthurt and sensitive about it? Last time I seen jungle he was bad mouthing GWs so I ask a simple question he didn’t take it as funny and I didn’t say anything else and now here you are trying to escalate the whole thing but I’m the troll lol.

Re: My ultimate packable wilderness survival weapon setup. [Re: Jungleexplorer] #6952721 11/09/17 02:07 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
mine is the savage camper 22lr over 20ga, covers a wide variety of small game

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide