Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Can you train a 1yr old dog? #6943190 11/02/17 09:00 AM
JohnRussell Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Okay, can you train a dog that is 1yr old and never been trained before?

This is a Llewellin Setter and comes from a great line... but I was unable to walk before, coupled with my lack of experience in doing this from 0-60, is it even worth trying?

I just got ahold of quail wings, but wondering if it is a waste of time to expect her to be that great... add to the issues, she has him dysplacia... which we are going to work on as well.

I am thinking she may just need to be a family member...which is fine too as I really have nowhere to hunt quail anyway, just figured she deserved some sort of attempt.

Russ

Hunting is easy..it's getting permission from your wife that is tough.
Re: Can you train a 1yr old dog? [Re: JohnRussell] #6943257 11/02/17 11:16 AM
H
HCHunter28 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
Age is not the issue. Hip displacia is.

Re: Can you train a 1yr old dog? [Re: HCHunter28] #6943384 11/02/17 01:21 PM
Q
quailg Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Q
HC Hunter is correct.

Re: Can you train a 1yr old dog? [Re: JohnRussell] #6943477 11/02/17 02:11 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Why train it if you don't plan to hunt it?

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Can you train a 1yr old dog? [Re: JohnRussell] #6947990 11/06/17 02:21 PM
JohnRussell Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Sorry, was out deer hunting.

1 - Yes, and we have started looking into the HD issue.

2 - I would like to hunt her, but the cost of hunting is crazy compared to when I was younger and I have zero idea if there is anywhere around here to hunt. Not paying 1000 a month... which is the one place I did find. So, would I hunt her? probably. I get a lot of invites from other ranchers and, well.. would be nice, but do I plan to be able to go as much as all of you? No. Does not mean I would not enjoy training her for what she was bred for.

I could buy a hot rod and enjoy keeping it well maintained, does not mean I have to take it racing all the time, just seems right to try, now that I am able to walk better.

Also, who knows.. maybe I will find a place around here. I used to live in Odessa, TX.. and hunting quail and dove was a given.. heh. We had 9 sections we hunted for years. Here around Austin.. yea.. not that well connected any longer :P

But.... I can prepare her just in case.

Besides, I doubt she will be able to hunt all day like most dogs... but she sure does love going outside and getting in the truck.

Russ

Re: Can you train a 1yr old dog? [Re: JohnRussell] #6948335 11/06/17 05:19 PM
kmon11 Offline
junior
junior
heck you could train here and take here out on a few put and take hunts, watch her work and get more training in. Always like watching a dog work and do its job. They seem to love it to and take pride in their work

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Can you train a 1yr old dog? [Re: JohnRussell] #6948380 11/06/17 05:45 PM
JohnRussell Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
That is exactly what I was thinking. Whether I can afford to hunt around Austin or not, she wants to do it.. so, gotta spend time training her. Wish there was a local place where the other hunters / dog owners hung out. Sure would love to sit around with them.

I found some "club" north of Austin.. but good lord.. the prices. I passed.. heh

Yep, just looked again, bare minimum is $300 a day. The annual thing is like $2200 to join then 180 a month.

I'll stick to hunting deer :P

R

Re: Can you train a 1yr old dog? [Re: JohnRussell] #6948774 11/06/17 10:14 PM
T
Texasphez Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Ok this is going to come across as really harsh, but you asked!

Can a one year old dog be trained?

Yes absolutely, most formal training doesn't begin until a pup is around one anyway. Are you capable of doing it? I have no earthly idea, but if you are dedicated to it and it is a high enough priority to you then yes you more than likely can.

Is it worth trying?

I would say yes it is. To me the pleasure of owning birddogs is watching them do what they were bred to do. Even as a family member my non sporting dogs get trained. It makes them monumentally more enjoyable to be around! Now we are talking about a dog with hip displacia so you will have to be the judge of how far she can go.

As far as opportunity goes.

Get yourself some pigeons, and get set up where you can take her out and let her work them. They are cheap to keep, relatively easy to care for, and don't require any special permits. You can put them out and let her work, which she will love, and you're not out much by shooting them for her.

Now the really harsh part; 90% of training a dog is common sense, which most people lack! That and persistence.
Example: if you don't like your dog to beg at the table, don't EVER feed them from the table and they will never learn to beg!
If they only get fed from their dog bowl they have no idea that food comes from anywhere else! If you're going to train a command, then stick with it! If you say sit, she has to sit, every time you tell her to.

I could go on, but I'll stop there.
Worth what you paid for it!

Re: Can you train a 1yr old dog? [Re: JohnRussell] #6949516 11/07/17 12:24 PM
JohnRussell Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Not sure how that is harsh, it is common sense whether you are training a dog or a kid or yourself.

We have trained dogs in the past, but it has been.. lord.. 30 years.. blech.. so, while I have all the books and have helped in the past.. it has been so long it is like starting over.

Anyway, I do not expect her to be awesome, I just want to let her do what she was born to do, even if all it is is getting live raised quail and letting her point them.

I still remember how to put them asleep under a bush.. lol.. you can never forget that trick :P

Anyway, thanks for the input.

Russ

Re: Can you train a 1yr old dog? [Re: JohnRussell] #6949845 11/07/17 03:52 PM
U
usmc826 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
U
Dogs love to do what they are made for. I would say train it. But with the hip dysplasia you'll most likely need to temper the training down to make sure she can handle it . Also another issue you might want to do the training yourself not invest tons of money into a dog that will most likely have a shorter hunting spand.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide