texashuntingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Potter14, MMcAloon, Genhunter, HogNArrow, Wyohunter1
64371 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
dogcatcher 90,181
stxranchman 53,762
bill oxner 49,830
RKHarm24 44,577
rifleman 44,414
BMD 41,009
SnakeWrangler 39,638
Big Orn 37,484
txshntr 35,378
Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums45
Topics418,055
Posts6,077,331
Members64,371
Most Online16,728
Mar 25th, 2012
Print Thread
Question pertaining to hogs and coyotes #6942098
11/01/17 03:50 PM
11/01/17 03:50 PM
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 26,978
Killeen/Ft Hood, TX
S
SapperTitan Online content OP
Taking Requests
SapperTitan  Online Content OP
Taking Requests
S

Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 26,978
Killeen/Ft Hood, TX
Why do people always use the excuse that they are killing hogs because of all the damage they do to farmers and why do people always use the coyotes eat fawn and calves to justify their killing of them? I kill both of them because it is fun. I like calling in coyotes and shooting them in the face. I love shooting hogs and hearing them squeal in agony. I know lots of people kill both for specific reasons but it seems these are the main arguments even for people not killing them in these situations. Is it to make them feel better about killing? Is it a form of defense against people against killing either of these animals? Ill say I've used both these reasons in defense in the past even know I'm hunting on Ft Hood mostly where there is no agriculture. The truth is I just enjoy killing hogs, every single one I can. During winter months I gut them and give them to soldiers but in the hot months I love em lay. As far as coyotes we have way too many so I shoot them for fun too and its good target practice.


Originally Posted by bill oxner
I plowed mules.
Originally Posted by Roll-Tide
I did build a cabin. Aka the brokeback shack.

[Linked Image]
Re: Question pertaining to hogs and coyotes [Re: SapperTitan] #6942123
11/01/17 04:01 PM
11/01/17 04:01 PM
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 725
Pittsburg, TX
A
Aggieman775 Offline
Tracker
Aggieman775  Offline
Tracker
A

Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 725
Pittsburg, TX
It may be a society thing on how people look at you I guess? So you can say a reason without looking like a stone cold killer to them I guess, but I really donít know. While I do think itís fun I guess if they didnít eat all of my corn and tearing up feeders and there werenít so many of them I guess I wouldnít mind them. Similar to coons With coons I donít care if they are just eating under the feeder every once in a while. Itís when they show up in groups of at least 5 and climb on it and throw all of the corn out is when I shoot them.

Last edited by Aggieman775; 11/01/17 04:08 PM.

TSmith
Re: Question pertaining to hogs and coyotes [Re: SapperTitan] #6942132
11/01/17 04:08 PM
11/01/17 04:08 PM
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 27,738
Normangee/Navasota TX
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Navasot  Offline
Hollywood
N

Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 27,738
Normangee/Navasota TX
lol made me giggle most just not as honest

BUT

if you own livestock/hay property you will know the struggle with both these is very real... I absolutely despise wild hogs... i center punch everyone that comes to my bow stand so i can get a clean pass through and get my arrow back... then wave by to them

Re: Question pertaining to hogs and coyotes [Re: Navasot] #6942147
11/01/17 04:22 PM
11/01/17 04:22 PM
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 26,978
Killeen/Ft Hood, TX
S
SapperTitan Online content OP
Taking Requests
SapperTitan  Online Content OP
Taking Requests
S

Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 26,978
Killeen/Ft Hood, TX
Originally Posted By: Navasot
lol made me giggle most just not as honest

BUT

if you own livestock/hay property you will know the struggle with both these is very real... I absolutely despise wild hogs... i center punch everyone that comes to my bow stand so i can get a clean pass through and get my arrow back... then wave by to them
I completely agree the struggle is real when they are actually effecting your property or livelihood but I know many that kill them for neither of those reasons.


Originally Posted by bill oxner
I plowed mules.
Originally Posted by Roll-Tide
I did build a cabin. Aka the brokeback shack.

[Linked Image]
Re: Question pertaining to hogs and coyotes [Re: SapperTitan] #6942154
11/01/17 04:24 PM
11/01/17 04:24 PM
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 26,978
Killeen/Ft Hood, TX
S
SapperTitan Online content OP
Taking Requests
SapperTitan  Online Content OP
Taking Requests
S

Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 26,978
Killeen/Ft Hood, TX
I guess I just don't like the blanket statements or social media posts. People will post a picture of a coyote eating a fawn or something and then say "This is why predator hunters do what we do" No I do what I do for my own reasons and mostly because its fun.


Originally Posted by bill oxner
I plowed mules.
Originally Posted by Roll-Tide
I did build a cabin. Aka the brokeback shack.

[Linked Image]
Re: Question pertaining to hogs and coyotes [Re: SapperTitan] #6942167
11/01/17 04:33 PM
11/01/17 04:33 PM
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,316
Central Texas
D
der Teufel Offline
Pro Tracker
der Teufel  Offline
Pro Tracker
D

Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,316
Central Texas
There doesn't have to be a single reason.


You can never have too much ammo ó unless you're swimming.
Re: Question pertaining to hogs and coyotes [Re: SapperTitan] #6942220
11/01/17 05:11 PM
11/01/17 05:11 PM
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,838
Mineral Wells, Texas
A
aggiehunter03 Offline
Veteran Tracker
aggiehunter03  Offline
Veteran Tracker
A

Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,838
Mineral Wells, Texas
They have destroyed a lot of wheat and coastal fields at the ranch. I don't use that as my excuse though. I just enjoy shooting them and hearing them squeal. I love calling predators and shooting them also. I don't care if they kill a few fawns.



Re: Question pertaining to hogs and coyotes [Re: SapperTitan] #6942250
11/01/17 05:40 PM
11/01/17 05:40 PM
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 5,842
Forestburg, Montague Cnty, TX
Double Naught Spy Online content
THF Trophy Hunter
Double Naught Spy  Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter

Joined: May 2011
Posts: 5,842
Forestburg, Montague Cnty, TX
The issue of worrying about coyotes killing fawns is pretty silly in my book. Coyotes and deer have always lived together. That is just part of the natural cycle. It isn't like the deer population is in decline. In fact, it is still growing here in Texas.

However, I take out whatever the landowner says needs to go. For that, I get the opportunity to hunt, which I enjoy. I have landowners who only want me to take hogs. One wants me to shoot hogs and predators, but NOT mountain lions, not that I see a lot of them, LOL.


Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Question pertaining to hogs and coyotes [Re: Double Naught Spy] #6942303
11/01/17 06:07 PM
11/01/17 06:07 PM
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 26,978
Killeen/Ft Hood, TX
S
SapperTitan Online content OP
Taking Requests
SapperTitan  Online Content OP
Taking Requests
S

Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 26,978
Killeen/Ft Hood, TX
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
The issue of worrying about coyotes killing fawns is pretty silly in my book. Coyotes and deer have always lived together. That is just part of the natural cycle. It isn't like the deer population is in decline. In fact, it is still growing here in Texas.

However, I take out whatever the landowner says needs to go. For that, I get the opportunity to hunt, which I enjoy. I have landowners who only want me to take hogs. One wants me to shoot hogs and predators, but NOT mountain lions, not that I see a lot of them, LOL.

By the way does that look like a tail? roflmao



Originally Posted by bill oxner
I plowed mules.
Originally Posted by Roll-Tide
I did build a cabin. Aka the brokeback shack.

[Linked Image]
Re: Question pertaining to hogs and coyotes [Re: SapperTitan] #6942332
11/01/17 06:25 PM
11/01/17 06:25 PM
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,298
Azle, TX
H
HornSlayer Offline
Pro Tracker
HornSlayer  Offline
Pro Tracker
H

Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,298
Azle, TX
It is wrong to kill for the fun of it. Sorry man but that's the way I was raised back in the day. It is what separates us from the animal. I kill for food and out of necessity. I hunt for the sport. When I was a young man my mentor would take me hunting coons with his hounds. The dogs would track the coon to a tree where we tied the dogs off before shaking the coon out of the tree. We would let 5 or 10 minutes pass before we released the dogs again. We might do this 2 or 3 times before leaving the coon for next weeks race. My point is, I not being a religious man do think that with our dominion over the animals, also comes with a certain amount of restraint required when making life and death decisions over the animals.

Last edited by HornSlayer; 11/01/17 06:26 PM.
Re: Question pertaining to hogs and coyotes [Re: SapperTitan] #6942337
11/01/17 06:27 PM
11/01/17 06:27 PM
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 8,506
bastrop county
C
colt45 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
colt45  Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
C

Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 8,506
bastrop county
I shot them for the reasons stated, never felt guilty, some counties the deer population is far behind others, so any fawn saved is a good thing. like parts of the anatomy every one has their own reasons


hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Question pertaining to hogs and coyotes [Re: HornSlayer] #6942430
11/01/17 07:28 PM
11/01/17 07:28 PM
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,838
Mineral Wells, Texas
A
aggiehunter03 Offline
Veteran Tracker
aggiehunter03  Offline
Veteran Tracker
A

Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,838
Mineral Wells, Texas
Originally Posted By: HornSlayer
It is wrong to kill for the fun of it. Sorry man but that's the way I was raised back in the day. It is what separates us from the animal. I kill for food and out of necessity. I hunt for the sport. When I was a young man my mentor would take me hunting coons with his hounds. The dogs would track the coon to a tree where we tied the dogs off before shaking the coon out of the tree. We would let 5 or 10 minutes pass before we released the dogs again. We might do this 2 or 3 times before leaving the coon for next weeks race. My point is, I not being a religious man do think that with our dominion over the animals, also comes with a certain amount of restraint required when making life and death decisions over the animals.


I am a religious man and you are entitled to your opinion for sure. But those coons you speak of kill for fun. Dogs kill for fun. Lots of animals kill for fun. I rank hogs on the same level of worthlessness as fire ants. Kill them all.



Re: Question pertaining to hogs and coyotes [Re: SapperTitan] #6942559
11/01/17 08:52 PM
11/01/17 08:52 PM
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 26,978
Killeen/Ft Hood, TX
S
SapperTitan Online content OP
Taking Requests
SapperTitan  Online Content OP
Taking Requests
S

Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 26,978
Killeen/Ft Hood, TX
I wish I could record a hog squealing in agony and make it my alarm clock sound


Originally Posted by bill oxner
I plowed mules.
Originally Posted by Roll-Tide
I did build a cabin. Aka the brokeback shack.

[Linked Image]
Re: Question pertaining to hogs and coyotes [Re: SapperTitan] #6942608
11/01/17 09:39 PM
11/01/17 09:39 PM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,576
D
djones Offline
Veteran Tracker
djones  Offline
Veteran Tracker
D

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,576
some of my best friends are pigs

Re: Question pertaining to hogs and coyotes [Re: HornSlayer] #6942618
11/01/17 09:55 PM
11/01/17 09:55 PM
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 27,738
Normangee/Navasota TX
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Navasot  Offline
Hollywood
N

Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 27,738
Normangee/Navasota TX
Originally Posted By: HornSlayer
It is wrong to kill for the fun of it. Sorry man but that's the way I was raised back in the day. It is what separates us from the animal. I kill for food and out of necessity. I hunt for the sport. When I was a young man my mentor would take me hunting coons with his hounds. The dogs would track the coon to a tree where we tied the dogs off before shaking the coon out of the tree. We would let 5 or 10 minutes pass before we released the dogs again. We might do this 2 or 3 times before leaving the coon for next weeks race. My point is, I not being a religious man do think that with our dominion over the animals, also comes with a certain amount of restraint required when making life and death decisions over the animals.


I was to but when we are talking about pest animals pigs being THE worst one in Texas you don't need a reason... you see one you shoot it.... if its a hunt have fun doing it... if your not having fun I don't care you still shoot it... anyone I let come to shoot deer knows if they pass a hog they wont be coming back lol.

Re: Question pertaining to hogs and coyotes [Re: djones] #6942619
11/01/17 09:55 PM
11/01/17 09:55 PM
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 27,738
Normangee/Navasota TX
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Navasot  Offline
Hollywood
N

Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 27,738
Normangee/Navasota TX
Originally Posted By: djones
some of my best friends are pigs


here we go

Re: Question pertaining to hogs and coyotes [Re: SapperTitan] #6942654
11/01/17 10:24 PM
11/01/17 10:24 PM
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 623
Pittsburg Tx
R
Retired Sgt. Gilliam Offline
Tracker
Retired Sgt. Gilliam  Offline
Tracker
R

Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 623
Pittsburg Tx
Deer hunt? What's that. All I do is shoot pigs. Missed a few last night. Got spooked



Matthew 5:9
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God.
Re: Question pertaining to hogs and coyotes [Re: SapperTitan] #6942707
11/01/17 11:20 PM
11/01/17 11:20 PM
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,728
R
REALKILLER Offline
Pro Tracker
REALKILLER  Offline
Pro Tracker
R

Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,728
Did not read your big right up. Sorrry. Just saw kill and kill. Always


Runnin'em down like a dog has always worked best for me.
Re: Question pertaining to hogs and coyotes [Re: HornSlayer] #6942712
11/01/17 11:23 PM
11/01/17 11:23 PM
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 5,842
Forestburg, Montague Cnty, TX
Double Naught Spy Online content
THF Trophy Hunter
Double Naught Spy  Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter

Joined: May 2011
Posts: 5,842
Forestburg, Montague Cnty, TX
Originally Posted By: HornSlayer
It is wrong to kill for the fun of it. Sorry man but that's the way I was raised back in the day. It is what separates us from the animal. I kill for food and out of necessity. I hunt for the sport. When I was a young man my mentor would take me hunting coons with his hounds. The dogs would track the coon to a tree where we tied the dogs off before shaking the coon out of the tree. We would let 5 or 10 minutes pass before we released the dogs again. We might do this 2 or 3 times before leaving the coon for next weeks race. My point is, I not being a religious man do think that with our dominion over the animals, also comes with a certain amount of restraint required when making life and death decisions over the animals.


I see we are back to "if you don't hunt the way I hunt for the reasons I hunt then you are doing it wrong' mentality.


Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Question pertaining to hogs and coyotes [Re: SapperTitan] #6942954
11/02/17 02:13 AM
11/02/17 02:13 AM
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 12,852
Grayson County
Ramsey Online content
Pepe' Le Pew
Ramsey  Online Content
Pepe' Le Pew

Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 12,852
Grayson County
I kill because I like to, I get permission to kill because the landowner loses crops and or livestock


GET A MORTGAGE HERE AND GET Anything but a free Yeti! For now $350 gift card to store of your choice.
Re: Question pertaining to hogs and coyotes [Re: SapperTitan] #6943115
11/02/17 04:03 AM
11/02/17 04:03 AM
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,838
Mineral Wells, Texas
A
aggiehunter03 Offline
Veteran Tracker
aggiehunter03  Offline
Veteran Tracker
A

Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,838
Mineral Wells, Texas
Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
I wish I could record a hog squealing in agony and make it my alarm clock sound


You have it on your Hellfire. Crank it to 20 and sit back and enjoy the relaxing sounds of piglets squealing



Re: Question pertaining to hogs and coyotes [Re: djones] #6943119
11/02/17 04:05 AM
11/02/17 04:05 AM
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,838
Mineral Wells, Texas
A
aggiehunter03 Offline
Veteran Tracker
aggiehunter03  Offline
Veteran Tracker
A

Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,838
Mineral Wells, Texas
Originally Posted By: djones
some of my best friends are pigs


What are your thoughts on javelina?



Re: Question pertaining to hogs and coyotes [Re: Double Naught Spy] #6943168
11/02/17 05:31 AM
11/02/17 05:31 AM
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,298
Azle, TX
H
HornSlayer Offline
Pro Tracker
HornSlayer  Offline
Pro Tracker
H

Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,298
Azle, TX
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy

I see we are back to "if you don't hunt the way I hunt for the reasons I hunt then you are doing it wrong' mentality.


I guess you missed my point. If you kill for the fun of it with out any reason other than it is fun for you; I do not agree with that reasoning. Follow that path and you might well be trying to explain to your 5 yr old why it's wrong to mow over the neighbors kitten even though it was fun to do. Based on this line of thinking you might as well go to a slaughter house and take a job killing livestock, if it is that enjoyable. Fact is there is a reason to kill every feral hog, dog or cat you see in the field. So kill away and sleep good at night, I will.

Last edited by HornSlayer; 11/02/17 05:32 AM.
Re: Question pertaining to hogs and coyotes [Re: SapperTitan] #6943182
11/02/17 06:53 AM
11/02/17 06:53 AM
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 5,842
Forestburg, Montague Cnty, TX
Double Naught Spy Online content
THF Trophy Hunter
Double Naught Spy  Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter

Joined: May 2011
Posts: 5,842
Forestburg, Montague Cnty, TX
I guess you failed to explain your point.


Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Question pertaining to hogs and coyotes [Re: SapperTitan] #6943188
11/02/17 08:46 AM
11/02/17 08:46 AM
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,125
Ben Wheeler,Tx
P
pigplinker Offline
Veteran Tracker
pigplinker  Offline
Veteran Tracker
P

Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,125
Ben Wheeler,Tx
Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
I wish I could record a hog squealing in agony and make it my alarm clock sound


roflmao up

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread


© 2004-2019 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide
UBB.threads™ 7.6.2