Page 1 of 2 1 2
Opening weekend tips #6936325 10/27/17 11:05 PM
C
crozierk Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
C
Hey y'all, just wanted to thank everyone so much for the great info you guys have been sharing. I am headed out to my first deer hunt next weekend on my FIL's place, and all your tips and experience have helped me set up for what I hope will be a good season. I've got a few bucks and a ton of doe showing up on my cameras. First time there have been any game cams out there, so it has been pretty neat seeing what all has showed up. Any last minute tips or tricks for a good opening weekend? Really I am just looking forward to a nice weekend out on the property, but was curious to hear any preparations you guys might make as far as setting yourself up for success in the last couple weeks before gun season opens up. Thanks again for all of yall's info, and hopefully I will have a picture or two to add come November 6! I'll be hunting out in Hamilton County on about 50 acres, FWIW.

Re: Opening weekend tips [Re: crozierk] #6936343 10/27/17 11:26 PM
S
Slow Drifter Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Don't eat or drink anything unusual to your system the night before the opener. (don't want any opening morning surprises) Don't shoot a doe by herself. Bring a sandwich and a couple bottles of water, be prepared to stay longer than you plan. If all you're seeing is does, don't get discouraged. Where there are girls, there will be boys. When you do shoot the big boy, don't panic. It may be tough, but sit tight and be still and quiet for about 10-15 minutes no matter how good a shot you think it was. Nothing worse than jumping up a dying deer and still trying to find it three hours later. Give him time to die. If you're hunting with friends, politely request that they don't immediately come to help if you shoot. Well intentioned buds can often turn a "there he is right there," into a "I think he ran that way." Best of luck and be safe. Congrats on the first hunt, we're all pulling for ya'!

"I have no idea what WW-III will be fought with, but WW-IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

A. Einstein

Re: Opening weekend tips [Re: crozierk] #6936347 10/27/17 11:31 PM
C
crozierk Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
C
Thanks drifter! Out of curiosity, what is the reasoning behind not shooting a doe by herself? Good tips. My over-excited behind probably would've gone barreling out of the stand as soon as I pulled the trigger. haha.

Re: Opening weekend tips [Re: crozierk] #6936358 10/27/17 11:42 PM
S
Slow Drifter Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
The lone doe is frequently a fawn, maybe even a button buck. No offense, but especially to a new hunter. You need other deer to compare size.

edited to add: If you see two doe the same size, they're probably twins.

Last edited by Slow Drifter; 10/27/17 11:44 PM.

"I have no idea what WW-III will be fought with, but WW-IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

A. Einstein

Re: Opening weekend tips [Re: crozierk] #6936416 10/28/17 12:32 AM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Remember that deer can easily run some distance and show little or no sign of being hit. Pay close attention to where the deer ran after the shot by noticing specific trees or brush it passed as it disappeared out of sight. The heart and lung area just behind the front shoulder is the most forgiving area and carries the broadest margin for error. And if you don't spend at least 30 minutes looking for the deer and look as far as 200 yards away from where you hit it, you haven't looked at all. Some might even suggest twice that time and distance as the minimum.

Good luck.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Opening weekend tips [Re: crozierk] #6936434 10/28/17 12:52 AM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
What part of Hamilton county? just curious, used to work and live in the area. Depending where you are there, be extra patient, there can be some impressive bucks in some areas of Hamilton Co.

I'd say to maximize your odds, especially as rut approaches, stay in the stand as long as you can handle it, aim for 11am if you even need to leave, then get back in early, like 1-2ish.

Go through scenarios in your head while your in the blind, like "if a buck comes out here, what do I need to do to get a shot", the more you prepare mentally, the better you will handle the jitters and act.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Opening weekend tips [Re: crozierk] #6936445 10/28/17 01:08 AM
G
Greg Z Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
1 Find some Neutrogena sent free soap and scent free deodorant and start using them by Wed. use no aftershave till after the hunt.

2 Have fun... these are the best of times!

Greg Ziemer
Sewell Lexus
214-597-6006
Life's short... Enjoy the ride!
Re: Opening weekend tips [Re: crozierk] #6936460 10/28/17 01:29 AM
S
soonersorlaters Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: crozierk
Hey y'all, just wanted to thank everyone so much for the great info you guys have been sharing. I am headed out to my first deer hunt next weekend on my FIL's place, and all your tips and experience have helped me set up for what I hope will be a good season. I've got a few bucks and a ton of doe showing up on my cameras. First time there have been any game cams out there, so it has been pretty neat seeing what all has showed up. Any last minute tips or tricks for a good opening weekend? Really I am just looking forward to a nice weekend out on the property, but was curious to hear any preparations you guys might make as far as setting yourself up for success in the last couple weeks before gun season opens up. Thanks again for all of yall's info, and hopefully I will have a picture or two to add come November 6! I'll be hunting out in Hamilton County on about 50 acres, FWIW.

Get in the stand early, an hour before throw time / first light is not unreasonable, assuming you use feeders. Don't try a bunch of gimmicky stuff.........the deer are there for a reason already. Squeeze (don't pull) the trigger. The shot should surprise you, not be anticipated to recoil / kick of the rifle. Have a sharp knife and a plan to get the deer gutted and cooled as soon as you can but don't rush straight to trailing the deer immediately after the shot. If you have access to running water, clean the body cavity well. Processors appreciate deer that are well taken care of in the field. Most of all, just enjoy the time. The thrill is not always the kill. Hunting is fun in and of itself. A kill is a bonus. Never forget that. Best of luck buddy!

Re: Opening weekend tips [Re: crozierk] #6936503 10/28/17 02:19 AM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Two words: toilet paper.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Opening weekend tips [Re: crozierk] #6936535 10/28/17 02:41 AM
C
crozierk Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
C
Thanks y'all! I work 6 days a week so regardless of what happens I'm gonna have a good time. If it ends with a deer, great. If not, there's always the next weekend!

Re: Opening weekend tips [Re: crozierk] #6936609 10/28/17 04:27 AM
B
Big_Ag Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Pack everything you need the night before the hunt. Nothing sucks more than getting in the blind and realizing you forgot shells, binoculars or a flashlight.

Re: Opening weekend tips [Re: Western] #6936624 10/28/17 04:47 AM
C
crozierk Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
C
Originally Posted By: Western
What part of Hamilton county? just curious, used to work and live in the area. Depending where you are there, be extra patient, there can be some impressive bucks in some areas of Hamilton Co.

I'd say to maximize your odds, especially as rut approaches, stay in the stand as long as you can handle it, aim for 11am if you even need to leave, then get back in early, like 1-2ish.

Go through scenarios in your head while your in the blind, like "if a buck comes out here, what do I need to do to get a shot", the more you prepare mentally, the better you will handle the jitters and act.

It's down towards Purmela area, South of Hamilton

Re: Opening weekend tips [Re: Greg Z] #6936626 10/28/17 04:48 AM
C
crozierk Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
C
Originally Posted By: Greg Z
1 Find some Neutrogena sent free soap and scent free deodorant and start using them by Wed. use no aftershave till after the hunt.

2 Have fun... these are the best of times!

I was wondering about the different scent control methods. Based on the winds in that area I've got a really great approach to the blinds, as long as it doesn't change on me. But I did want to take some extra steps.

Re: Opening weekend tips [Re: crozierk] #6936747 10/28/17 01:35 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: crozierk
Originally Posted By: Western

It's down towards Purmela area, South of Hamilton

Should be plenty of deer around there, I have a buddy that has a lease outside Evant, has been on it since the mid 90's, a lot of places are mld around him.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Opening weekend tips [Re: crozierk] #6936858 10/28/17 03:25 PM
T
TBirdFF4 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
Opening Weekend is usually right around the beginning of the rut. Be patient, and hunt late. I hunt around Shive, and 3 years ago shot this guy at 12:15.

These guys are on camera this year.

Re: Opening weekend tips [Re: crozierk] #6936862 10/28/17 03:27 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Don’t get drunk and sleep in

Set two alarms Incase one has an issue

Don’t screw up and miss the shot

Re: Opening weekend tips [Re: crozierk] #6936866 10/28/17 03:40 PM
T
TexasKC Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
I never hunt without a range finder.

In the end, it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.
Re: Opening weekend tips [Re: crozierk] #6936877 10/28/17 03:54 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
opening weekend is a good time to plan on spending the whole day in the stand. lots of people out hunting that will be moving around and pushing deer keeping many of them moving with their impatience to get back to camp. That really works well on a place like I hunt that is 140 acres with places about that size around me. Let them push the deer to me when they get out of the blind and start moving around about 9:30 or 10.
Deer pattern us a lot better than we pattern deer

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Opening weekend tips [Re: TBirdFF4] #6936906 10/28/17 04:35 PM
C
crozierk Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
C
Originally Posted By: TBirdFF4
Opening Weekend is usually right around the beginning of the rut. Be patient, and hunt late. I hunt around Shive, and 3 years ago shot this guy at 12:15.

These guys are on camera this year.

WOW. We haven't had anything that big show up to the feeders so far. I had an 8 or 10 point show up one day around 9 am. A couple 6 pointers. Seems to be younger bucks mostly based on what I can tell. Lotttsss of doe though. And a big paint boar I am waiting on if he slips up. haha

Re: Opening weekend tips [Re: crozierk] #6937215 10/28/17 11:18 PM
H
Hogflyer Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
Well, good luck to you all who hunt with you this coming weekend, first of all think safe! without the typical usuall hunting stuff you take, enjoy and remember the day. Then go from there, no ones perfect and mistakes will be made I know, after 40+ yrs of hunting sometimes you all forget something!
My worst weekend i forgot my binocs! hated it with a passion! now i keep an extra pair down at our farm.
Also a pee jug with you in the blind, never know when you have that urge. If your not a coffee drinker you wont have to worry about that too much!

Post some pics if you down something nice, some young bucks around the Brenham area already sniffing some does, so some rutting cant be far!

hunt safe...

"Buy more ammo, save it for a rainy day."
Re: Opening weekend tips [Re: crozierk] #6937575 10/29/17 12:21 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Get in the stand 30 minutes before first light, sunrise 11/04/2017 is 7:51, first legal shooting time 7:21 be in the stand by 6:50 am up
Eat something not spicy before you leave or bring a snack, I like plain strawberry pop tarts, filling and plugging on the back end grin

If you shoot a deer and it is still standing there. calmly reload and shoot again, if you shoot a deer and it runs a short distance and stops, shoot it again, moral of the story shoot until the deer is down!

When you are in the blind stay as far into the back of the blind as you can get with good vision of your hunting area, keep motion in the blind to a minimum. Any moves you make inn the blind make them slow and methodical, deer spot quick movement.

When I am not hunting I hang my outer clothes on a clothes line or tree branch to air out. I you have a cedar trees around, brake a small branch of and brush your hunting clothes with them, natural cover scent.

Sun and Moon Data for One Day

U.S. Naval Observatory
Astronomical Applications Department

Hamilton, Hamilton County, TX (Longitude W98° 7', Latitude N31° 42')

Sunrise 7:51 a.m.
Sunset 6:40 p.m.

Have fun and good luck cheers

Last edited by Stub; 10/29/17 01:16 PM.

texas flag

Re: Opening weekend tips [Re: crozierk] #6939135 10/30/17 01:59 PM
P
Pinky3169 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P
All great suggestions. I'll add on to it.. Like stated numerous times... Get in early and stay as late as you can.. Bucks are cruising and I was seeing them all throughout the day.. I stayed until about noon and went back to eat and went out for the rest of the day.. When it comes to shooting, several mistakes are commonly made.. When you're looking though the scope at a deer and your heart rate is elevated, don't wait for your crosshairs to get on the vitals and jerk the trigger.. Let the crosshairs move and add a constant press until the shot breaks. You're not moving as much as you think. After the shot breaks, try to find the deer in your scope (follow through). You will be able to see better through the scope, so there is no need to lift your head up. This is a common habit for people I teach. Lastly, have fun, enjoy your time in the field. I don't care if I see deer, I get to enjoy every sunrise and sunset, and watch the woods come alive.. No better feeling to me.. Good luck

Re: Opening weekend tips [Re: crozierk] #6940030 10/31/17 12:00 AM
S
sbushee Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
S
If you’re hunting Sunday. Don’t forget to set your clock back Saturday night for daylight savings

Re: Opening weekend tips [Re: crozierk] #6940071 10/31/17 12:32 AM
RedSnake Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Should be a good weekend. Good luck

Here’s all you need to know....

Re: Opening weekend tips [Re: sbushee] #6940220 10/31/17 02:17 AM
dogcatcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: sbushee
If you’re hunting Sunday. Don’t forget to set your clock back Saturday night for daylight savings

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide