Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Youth Weekend Success!!! #6938758 10/30/17 04:10 AM
txshntr Online Content OP
T-Rex Arms
OP Online Content
T-Rex Arms
I will warn you, this is going to be a long post but there are pictures below the long post grin

I honestly don't even know where to start, so I will start at the beginning....

As most of you know, and I am sure can relate too, I am an avid hunter and have been my entire life. I was blessed with a father that is my best friend and raised me in the woods or on a lake. I have had the pleasure of hunting multiple states, multiple species, and whitetail all over the state of Texas. I have vowed to strive to be the father to my two children that he was to me. I was blessed with two outstanding kids and I have introduced them to the life I live every chance I get. This weekend, all that effort came together the moment my daughter pulled the trigger on her first deer.

She has been shooting guns since she was three. I have the proof in a picture that a gamko bb gun kicks, because mamma bear took a picture of the black eye that my daughter got when she three. I tried to tell her over and over not to put her eye up to the scope (not because I thought it would kick, but because I wanted her to learn right), but would you believe that a three year has their own way of doing it?

Fast forward all the rest to this weekend, because that is what matters...She was off school Friday, so we decided to make it an extended weekend. Since she couldn't hunt yet, she sat in the bow blind with me. It was the first time she has done this and seeing deer at 15 yards was an eye opening experience for her. We had a great time and while I have talked to her about management and what we do and why we do it, she could not understand why I was trying to shoot an old ten that had half the antlers of the 4yo we call "Kickers". Well, I took the shot on the old ten and ended up shooting low through the brisket. We gave him about 4 hours and set to tracking him. We tracked him together for about 400 yards and about 5 hours of searching and he made circle back to within 40 yards of where I shot him. We weren't able to collect our deer and I was a little upset about it. I haven't lost many deer over the years and sure didn't want to do it with a buck she was involved with, but so is life. She was there to comfort me in my time of need.

While we were out tracking, my sister and her family made it in because her kids were off also. So it was me, my daughter, my BIL and both my nieces. A few of the other hunters, which I count as family and friends because some of us have hunted on the same place together for 24 years, also came in. It was shaping up to be a great weekend.

That afternoon, my daughter stayed at camp with my sister and nieces to play and my BIL and I went out for one last bow hunt. He was able to connect with a big bodied 7 we had been after.

The next morning came quick. My daughter was reluctant to get out of the warm bed and head out into the upper 20 degree temps, but when I reminded her it was her turn, we headed out. We headed out to the stand and shortly after arriving, realized that the heater someone let us borrow was out of propane...I was dressed to sit in a blind with a heater and my daughter got the blanket AND my coat. Did I mention that the West facing window was missing in the stand? Needless to say, I was froze...

We had deer early but the wind was variable and they seemed to have an idea something was wrong. Every deer we saw, I was asked "is that a shooter", to which the answer was a lot of "no's". Around 9:00, I couldn't feel my toes anymore so I decided it was time to pack it up. I packed backpack up, was situating the stand, and looked up to see bodies moving toward the corn. I dug the binoculars back out and low and behold, there was a spike. To my daughter, it was a B&C record buck because I finally said "yes."

At this point, it should be noted that I had told her she was limited to spikes and does.

Anyway, Spikey as she called him, came walking in with he 7 point buddy and started to vacuum up the rest of our corn. We got my daughter set up, she located him in the scope without a problem and the wait was on. I swear, every time he gave us a "shot" by turning broadside, something kept her from being able to actually get the shot. "Dad, there is a limb", "Dad, the other buck is too close", "Dad, he almost turned the right way", "Dad.....", and the list went on. FOR 45 minutes. I have never gotten excited and deflated so many times in a short amount of time. Finally, Spikey walked off into the woods and we headed back to camp.

Saturday was a day of fun. We ate breakfast and then shot our bows. I just recently bought her one off the forum and she loves it. Both her nieces had theirs, so we made a game of it. After that, we headed to the gravel pit to fire off some rounds. The kids took turns with all the different rifles. All in all, there were 7 kids shooting and the adults had to get in a few here and there also.

Saturday night is when everything went sideways. I took my daughter and my youngest niece, my BIL took my oldest niece, my sister stayed at camp, my buddy took the kid he brought (sam), and a long time hunting buddy took his oldest son. A good friend that is on the forum was also out there bow hunting, but his kids aren't old enough.

He was kind enough to let me hunt one of his blinds. His blind is an 8' circle, so me, an 8 year old and a 9 year old would have all the room we needed. I loaded up and headed out only to find that the blind was locked (he didn't know). By the time we got everything out of the truck and herded the kids to the stand and back to the truck, it was getting about 5:00...my ford flew across the pasture to the closest stand I could hunt which was a 4x4 square...if you haven't met me, I am not tall but I make up for it in girth...So, me, an 8 year old and a 9 year old ended up fitting into a 4' square with 2 chairs, one gun, a backpack and shelf. How we saw a deer is beyond me!!!

The feeder went off and I started seeing deer off in the distance. The closer the deer got, the harder I tried to keep the 2 girls calm and occupied, but the closer the deer got the more excited they both got. This of course was counter productive to deer hunting. We had 4 deer come by and they didn't pay us any attention, so we were good so far. During this time, a crop duster was flying over the ranch and my BIL had texted me twice that it had ran his deer off when they were about to shoot a doe. He was getting frustrated, but I didn't have time to deal with his problems, I had my own issues to handle. Then, my other buddy that was bow hunting was having cow problems. I have to admit, I took the time to revel in his problems because I could see his stand from where I was and he is fun to jack with.

A little after 6:00, I noticed a big bodied deer about 500 yards out heading our way. I had a good feeling he was coming, just didn't know if the girls would be able to stay still that long, but we were going to give it a try. I finally found him again at about 250 yards and knew he was coming. I had a pretty good idea what he was, but wasn't 100% sure.

Again, my daughter played the game of "can I shoot that" as some other deer moved in and of course, her and my niece were getting frustrated hearing the word NO over and over. Finally, the buck I had been watching came up the ridge behind the feeder and my niece spotted it. My daughter asked one last time and after a quick look it was obviously a big bodied cull crab claw, and I told her YES.

We went over shot placement one last time and she wanted to be sure. I pulled a picture of a whitetail up on my phone and pointed it out. The answer I got was classic Maggie: "Dad, I got this".

And she did. The deer wasn't there for corn, he was checking scrapes and working his way away while we got set up. I got her on the deer and went over her preshot routine one last time. Before I could sit back down in my cramped space to watch impact, she had pulled the trigger. I watched the deer trot like he wasn't touched toward the ridge. He went behind a bush and I couldn't tell if he went down, or off the ridge. It was all high fives and hugs. I was so proud of her and how she had handled the day. I thought I was shaking more than her too.

I was still glassing to see if I could find the buck when my BIL sent me a text that simply said "Buck down." My niece had dropped a good one.

We waited about 20 minutes and watched the other deer that didn't run off at the report and a doe came in. I told her she could shoot the doe if she wanted. She laughed and said "Dad, my legs are shaking so bad that I don't think I could stand, much less shoot another deer"

While there was still light, we got down. I left the girls about 40 yards up the hill in case he was injured and headed down to find him. He had piled up just behind the bush. I whistled for her to come down and got to watch her expression as she saw her buck for the first time. Truly an experience I will never forget. She had hit him exactly where I had told her and he was better than I expected. Great cull and great first buck. I couldn't believe it and the hugs and high fives started all over again.

I loaded him up and went to help my BIL load my nieces buck. We got some pictures and finally made it back to camp. At camp, there was another first. Sam had killed his first deer ever also and it was a spike. The other kid was able to connect with an old 10 that we were after to get out of the herd also!!! That night, the excitement around camp was unbelievable as the kids and adults compared stories and tales.

The next morning, the only hunter left that hadn't connected was able to connect with a doe, so every kid was able to take home some meat and some great stories.

If you are still with me after my novel, thanks for reading. If you skipped to the pictures, they are finally here. Thanks for letting me share, I am still riding this cloud that is the beginning of the next chapter of my hunting.

My daughters buck weighed in at 154lbs field dressed. This is the second heaviest buck we have killed off our place.

Also, a special thanks to Bobo the Clown for letting my daughter borrow a couple of his guns to use to take her first buck. She used a Remington 700 chambered in a 6.5 Creedmore. Can't thank you enough sir cheers

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Youth Weekend Success!!! [Re: txshntr] #6938761 10/30/17 04:12 AM
T-Rex Arms
OP Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Some weekend fun pictures cheers

Re: Youth Weekend Success!!! [Re: txshntr] #6938776 10/30/17 04:30 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Congrats

Re: Youth Weekend Success!!! [Re: txshntr] #6938783 10/30/17 04:34 AM
G
Grosvenor Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
Way to go kiddos!

Re: Youth Weekend Success!!! [Re: txshntr] #6938804 10/30/17 04:48 AM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Excellent!

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Youth Weekend Success!!! [Re: txshntr] #6938808 10/30/17 04:51 AM
B
Big_Ag Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
What an awesome weekend! Congrats to your daughter and her hunting buddies!

Re: Youth Weekend Success!!! [Re: txshntr] #6938826 10/30/17 05:09 AM
D
dkershen Offline
Rev Dave
Rev Dave
D
"Dad, I got this". GREATNESS. cheers Super job all around Dave!!

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: Youth Weekend Success!!! [Re: txshntr] #6938910 10/30/17 11:44 AM
M
mbavo Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
M
That is great !!!
That is what it is all about !!!
Congrats to all !!!

Re: Youth Weekend Success!!! [Re: txshntr] #6938916 10/30/17 11:53 AM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Good read as usual up Congrats to all of the kiddos, what a special weekend for all cheers

texas flag

Re: Youth Weekend Success!!! [Re: txshntr] #6938918 10/30/17 11:54 AM
C
copperhead Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
That's what its all about.

Re: Youth Weekend Success!!! [Re: Big_Ag] #6938927 10/30/17 12:04 PM
D
Deerhunter61 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted By: Big_Ag

Re: Youth Weekend Success!!! [Re: txshntr] #6938968 10/30/17 12:44 PM
H
heredeer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
great weekend... texas

Re: Youth Weekend Success!!! [Re: txshntr] #6938975 10/30/17 12:48 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
banana chicken fried backstrap!

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Youth Weekend Success!!! [Re: txshntr] #6938982 10/30/17 12:51 PM
janie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Congrat's to the youngin's! Great job kids. up

He is your friend defender your dog. Be worthy of such devotion

[Linked Image]
Re: Youth Weekend Success!!! [Re: txshntr] #6938990 10/30/17 12:58 PM
W
westtexaswatkins Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
That right there is what it is all about. Love the smiles on all those youngsters. Congrats all the way around up

Re: Youth Weekend Success!!! [Re: txshntr] #6938994 10/30/17 12:59 PM
S
Stevarino Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
Awesome!

Re: Youth Weekend Success!!! [Re: txshntr] #6938996 10/30/17 01:00 PM
E
Elkhunter49 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
E
Great read and thanks for sharing your photos! Congrats to all up

A true friend reaches for your hand but touches your heart.
Re: Youth Weekend Success!!! [Re: dkershen] #6939443 10/30/17 04:47 PM
T-Rex Arms
OP Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: dkershen
"Dad, I got this". GREATNESS. cheers Super job all around Dave!!

Appreciate it everyone.

Man, have to say...she is a great kid and handled everything better than I expected.

Re: Youth Weekend Success!!! [Re: Big_Ag] #6939487 10/30/17 05:12 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: Big_Ag
That's awesome Dave! Congrats!

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Youth Weekend Success!!! [Re: txshntr] #6939492 10/30/17 05:14 PM
T
TyBU Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
That is awesome. Congrats on a great weekend.

Re: Youth Weekend Success!!! [Re: txshntr] #6939521 10/30/17 05:30 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Congrats!

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Youth Weekend Success!!! [Re: txshntr] #6939561 10/30/17 05:56 PM
R
rdhibbs Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Tell those young guys and galls they did a great Job

Thank You
Robert

To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, right or wrong - is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.

Theodore Roosevelt
Re: Youth Weekend Success!!! [Re: txshntr] #6939584 10/30/17 06:21 PM
Bee'z Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Online Happy
The Beedazzler
That is awesome David. Congrats Maggie and the rest of the crew up

[Linked Image]
Re: Youth Weekend Success!!! [Re: Elkhunter49] #6939627 10/30/17 06:59 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: Elkhunter49
Great read and thanks for sharing your photos! Congrats to all up

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Youth Weekend Success!!! [Re: txshntr] #6939632 10/30/17 07:02 PM
B
BarneyWho Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
B
Sorry about your black panther party.......errrrrr I mean heater. I did give your BIL and extra unopened bottle though. grin

Congrats to Maggie. I have a few more down on the island she can shoot! up

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide