Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics536,990
Posts9,719,208
Members86,987
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Interesting parallax observation, wearing corrective lenses (glasses) #6933918 10/26/17 01:26 AM
S
Sigmund Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
I had the rifle out a couple weeks ago, and found i was having a hard time getting the parallax adjusted just right. The target and reticle both appeared to be in focus, but if i would wiggle my head vertically, the crosshairs would stay on target. If i tried to do this horizontally, the crosshairs appeared to move. I've used this approach several times with a fully supported rifle (bipod and rear bag) as a sanity check for my parallax adjustment. So I'm quite confident i was not moving the rifle while wiggling my head around.

While doing some experiments, i tried moving my face closer to the scope, so that i could see the "tunnel" start to close like it does when you get too close to the scope. At this point i was expecting the tunnel to look like a circle, but instead it looked more like an approximately horizontal ellipse. Now starting to pay closer attention to what i was doing, i realized that i was looking through the top-left corner of my glasses. If i rotated my face to be more perpendicular to the scope, the tunnel changed from an ellipse to a circle, and the parallax appeared to be good in both windage and elevation.

The prescription for my glasses is kind of strong at -5.25. They aren't quite "Coke-bottle" lenses, but they do get a little thick around the edges. The scope on this rifle is also mounted a bit further forward than i would prefer, but i put it there so i could still operate the charging handle easily. I think this is how i got into a position where i was looking more through the corner of my glasses lens than the middle.

This phenomenon is something that i haven't noticed before, so I'm wondering if this is normal with corrective lenses? or is there something wrong with this scope? I was planning on trying the same experiment with some other rifles/scopes i have, but it will probably have to wait until this weekend. It's usually dark by the time i get home.

Does anyone else out there have experience with this?

Re: Interesting parallax observation, wearing corrective lenses (glasses) [Re: Sigmund] #6933939 10/26/17 01:36 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
My older customers frequently shoot without their glasses. They get the diopter correct, and adjust focus to their liking. Without their glasses they cannot read the turrets, so they put their glasses back on to read the turret designations. Then they remove their glasses to shoot again.

That's the best I can offer.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Interesting parallax observation, wearing corrective lenses (glasses) [Re: Sigmund] #6934007 10/26/17 02:31 AM
W
Walkabout Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
W
Yep it's like looking through two corrective lenses. They both cancel each other's performance.

Re: Interesting parallax observation, wearing corrective lenses (glasses) [Re: J.G.] #6934247 10/26/17 12:19 PM
B
Bar-D Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
My older customers frequently shoot without their glasses. They get the diopter correct, and adjust focus to their liking. Without their glasses they cannot read the turrets, so they put their glasses back on to read the turret designations. Then they remove their glasses to shoot again.

That's the best I can offer.

This is what I have to do. Nearly wore out the earpieces on my bifocals yesterday sighting in three rifles.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf
Re: Interesting parallax observation, wearing corrective lenses (glasses) [Re: Sigmund] #6934299 10/26/17 01:15 PM
D
dee Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I take my glasses of while shooting. I've noticed a parallax issue on some things but a majority of the time image isn't as crisp as it is without. My turrets are fairly large so there's no issue there but I'm also near sighted.

"A vote is like a rifle; it's usefulness depends on the character of the user" Theodore Roosevelt
Re: Interesting parallax observation, wearing corrective lenses (glasses) [Re: Sigmund] #6935364 10/27/17 02:31 AM
S
Sigmund Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Thank you everyone for your feedback.

If my diopter weren’t so far from normal, I think that would be an easy enough thing to do. But when I take my glasses off, it’s pretty bad. I’m sure I could get used to this at the range, but when hunting I like being able to just look up and see more than just large patches of brown and green, and a blue spot where my feeder is. What I’m hearing here is that I either need to get lasik, or wear contact lenses when shooting with optics.

I’ve always felt I could shoot better, or it was easier to shoot better when I was wearing contacts, but I always assumed that was just in my head. Wouldn’t have guessed that my glasses were actually playing havoc with the scope... I’m surprised that it’s taken me this long to notice this issue.

Re: Interesting parallax observation, wearing corrective lenses (glasses) [Re: Sigmund] #6935496 10/27/17 10:20 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I shoot with contact lenses. It was one of several reasons I went from glasses to contact lenses.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide