Print Thread
Christensen Ridgeline or ELR? #6927677 10/21/17 11:02 AM
F
fast88 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
F
So I am going to take the plunge into a Christensen arms rifle and I don't want this to be a discussion of why I should buy a proof or another brand of rifle.

What I do want to know is do you think the ELR is worth 470$ more than the ridgeline. The Elr has a more ergonomic stock but weight is about 1.6 lbs more than the ridgeline. Both come with a 1moa or better guarantee. I have never handled the Elr but the Ridgeline felt very good and well balanced. I have had a few custom rifles with a vertical grip and shot them very well so I wouldn’t think the ELR stock would feel odd in the field to me.

I hunt Elk and Mule deer almost exclusively in the West Texas Desert. My shots range from 100-900 yards with some quick shots needed when Stalking. I stalk and hunt feeders on the side of a mountain probably 50/50.

What do you think?

Re: Christensen Ridgeline or ELR? [Re: fast88] #6927698 10/21/17 11:50 AM
A
aggiehunter03 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
A
You should buy a Sako instead......just kidding.

I've owned neither but I like the lighter weight of the ridge line for a stalking rifle. I also like looks and the calibers they offer it in better. It's also cheaper. That ELR is ugly to me.

Re: Christensen Ridgeline or ELR? [Re: fast88] #6927748 10/21/17 01:10 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I looked at the list, all had a sub-MOA guarantee. Then the bottom rifle has a 1/2 MOA guarantee. My bet is they used a better chambering method on the 1/2 MOA rifle, and charge way more for the rifle.

The same performance can be had, for less money, and shoot 1/2 MOA by several local gunsmiths.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Christensen Ridgeline or ELR? [Re: J.G.] #6927772 10/21/17 01:41 PM
F
fast88 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
F
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
I looked at the list, all had a sub-MOA guarantee. Then the bottom rifle has a 1/2 MOA guarantee. My bet is they used a better chambering method on the 1/2 MOA rifle, and charge way more for the rifle.

The same performance can be had, for less money, and shoot 1/2 MOA by several local gunsmiths.

I fully understand all my options and have had many custom rifles made on factory and custom actions, by local and national gunsmith. I wasn’t asking if there was a better option by another Smith or company. Can we please keep it to the question asked?

Both chambers are match chambers. The difference is the titanium actions and bolt face truing.

Re: Christensen Ridgeline or ELR? [Re: fast88] #6927777 10/21/17 01:43 PM
P
patriot07 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
If you’re buying it to carry while hunting, the Ridgeline. For range use or if you’re hunting from a fixed location, the ELR.

Both are nice looking guns IMHO

Re: Christensen Ridgeline or ELR? [Re: fast88] #6927808 10/21/17 02:22 PM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Europtics is having a big sale on Christensen. The guys just got back from Utah seeing some new Christensen models coming out. If it was me, I would save a bit and get the Summit

Personally, I think Christensen builds great rifles. They got beat up pretty bad for a while, had some bad press but are back building great rifles,

what cal you looking at?

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Christensen Ridgeline or ELR? [Re: fast88] #6927821 10/21/17 02:52 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: fast88
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

I fully understand all my options and have had many custom rifles made on factory and custom actions, by local and national gunsmith. I wasn’t asking if there was a better option by another Smith or company. Can we please keep it to the question asked?

Both chambers are match chambers. The difference is the titanium actions and bolt face truing.

Ok.

I just remember Chad, repeatedly reporting problems with their rifles. Sorry to bring it up.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Christensen Ridgeline or ELR? [Re: fast88] #6927909 10/21/17 05:10 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C

I'm reading this on their site about the action for both rifles: "Christensen Arms 416 Stainless Steel Billet
Receiver", which tells me it is a stainless action, not titanium. If it were titanium, I would not expect the most consistent groups/accuracy. Titanium actions will flex more than stainless, making them less consistent. They are great for light weight, but not the best for accuracy.

And what specifically does a "match chamber" mean in the world of Christensen arms description?

The ELR has more of a target rifle set up. If you were planning for longer ranges, I would lean more towards the ELR.

I have spoken to Christensen in length about their "sub MOA" guarantee, and it's a 3 shot less than 1" at 100 yards, with as many 3 shot groups as it takes to get those 3 shots less than 1 inch. With the last $8000+ rifle in 338 Lapua I tested that they built, it took over 20 rounds of ammo before they were able to send the rifle back to me and "confirm" that it met their accuracy guarantee.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Christensen Ridgeline or ELR? [Re: ChadTRG42] #6927943 10/21/17 05:49 PM
F
fast88 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
F
Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42

I'm reading this on their site about the action for both rifles: "Christensen Arms 416 Stainless Steel Billet
Receiver", which tells me it is a stainless action, not titanium. If it were titanium, I would not expect the most consistent groups/accuracy. Titanium actions will flex more than stainless, making them less consistent. They are great for light weight, but not the best for accuracy.

And what specifically does a "match chamber" mean in the world of Christensen arms description?

The ELR has more of a target rifle set up. If you were planning for longer ranges, I would lean more towards the ELR.

I have spoken to Christensen in length about their "sub MOA" guarantee, and it's a 3 shot less than 1" at 100 yards, with as many 3 shot groups as it takes to get those 3 shots less than 1 inch. With the last $8000+ rifle in 338 Lapua I tested that they built, it took over 20 rounds of ammo before they were able to send the rifle back to me and "confirm" that it met their accuracy guarantee.

Fireman was referring to a model that guarantees 1/2 moa. One of these models has a Titanium action and big have the “trued receiver face”.

I have read your post about CA arms in the past and respect your opinion on the subject. I have had a few customs including two from an active gunsmith on this forum that wouldn’t shoot the guaranteed groups at 100 yards with factory ammo. Doesn’t mean the gun won’t shoot. You load for a living and do custom load work up as well. You know, more times than not, any gun will shoot with one of the many combos available. Christensen Arms have now started building all items, including barrels, in-house and are able to quality control much better. That’s the reason I am willing to take the risk.

Re: Christensen Ridgeline or ELR? [Re: fast88] #6927950 10/21/17 05:57 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
One of these models has a Titanium action and big have the “trued receiver face”.

Which one? Both the Ridgeline and ELR are listed as stainless. The muzzle brake on the ELR is the only thing listed as titanium on either rifle.

Ridgeline: Christensen Arms 416 Stainless Steel Billet Receiver with Enlarged Ejection Port
https://christensenarms.com/ridgeline/

ELR: Christensen Arms 416 Stainless Steel Billet Receiver, Full Integral Picatiny Rail
https://christensenarms.com/elr/

They are both stainless.

The ELR has the rail built into the top of the action, which will make it much more stiff than a standard action. This would be a huge plus. I would go ELR, no question, between these two options.

On the "accuracy guarantee", yes, they should shoot. But my point is that if you have a problem with the accuracy with any and ALL ammo tried and tested, and you send the rifle back, they pick and choose which round to test, and can shoot multiple 3 shot groups to get the 1 moa guarantee. It's not a guarantee
for me. It's reading into the fine print, and understanding what it takes to achieve consistency. The barrels they make are cut down stainless steel, and spun with carbon fibers, and after it heats up it can stress the metal to "bend" it when shooting, causing bad accuracy. I have read many articles about the issue, spoken to barrel mfg (including Christensen about it). The carbon fiber barrels are freakin' awesome when they work. But it is more challenging to get them to work well. I have spoken to Proof about there barrels and the details of the process, and they do a different process than Christensen. Because of this, their barrels remain more consistent. I have shot multiple rifles and barrels from each company. By far, the Proof barrels have much more consistent. Some were VERY impressive.

But like you stated, if you are willing for the risk, go for it. Christensen has built some very good rifles and barrels.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Christensen Ridgeline or ELR? [Re: fast88] #6927954 10/21/17 06:01 PM
K
Kevin1 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
K
I would get the ridgline. You won’t be shooting more than 3 rounds at a time and don’t need the heavier barrel profile of the ELR.

Re: Christensen Ridgeline or ELR? [Re: ChadTRG42] #6927959 10/21/17 06:03 PM
F
fast88 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
F
Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
One of these models has a Titanium action and big have the “trued receiver face”.

Which one? Both the Ridgeline and ELR are listed as stainless. The muzzle brake on the ELR is the only thing listed as titanium on either rifle.

Ridgeline: Christensen Arms 416 Stainless Steel Billet Receiver with Enlarged Ejection Port
https://christensenarms.com/ridgeline/

ELR: Christensen Arms 416 Stainless Steel Billet Receiver, Full Integral Picatiny Rail
https://christensenarms.com/elr/

They are both stainless.

The ELR has the rail built into the top of the action, which will make it much more stiff than a standard action. This would be a huge plus. I would go ELR, no question, between these two options.

Neither one of the models I am looking at have the Titanium action. I was saying Fireman mentioned the two rifles they offer that have a 1/2 moa guarantee. One of those, the summit TI, has a titanium action.

Thanks for your opinion Chad. I didn't think about the added rigidity of the build in 20 moa rail.

Re: Christensen Ridgeline or ELR? [Re: fast88] #6927995 10/21/17 07:00 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
The point I was making, is there's many well known rifle builders that do things the fast way, so that can male more of a profit. End result is, a rifle that shoots well, and the customer is happy. Then they chamber rifles the right way, which is slower, and they charge more for it. Or they reserve the right way for Sniper rifles, and/or competitors wearing that rifle builders logo. Personally I will stick with a builder that does it the right way for ALL rifles they build.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Christensen Ridgeline or ELR? [Re: fast88] #6929139 10/22/17 10:50 PM
T
thorn4570 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
I have the ridgeline 300 wm and the BA in 338 lapua. Both are great shooters and I really like both. If I were gonna walk around with one it would be the ridgline. But the BA ain’t bad cause you can move the sling to different positions.

Now my buddy has the Classis or rogue in 338 lapua. I wished I would have gotten it. It is light and the stock is great. If you reload for them send me a pm cause I have some info

You will love whatever you chose. They are great rifles and are worth every penny. Every penny.

I once drank muddy water out of a hoof print and was dang glad to get it.
Re: Christensen Ridgeline or ELR? [Re: thorn4570] #6929184 10/22/17 11:30 PM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: thorn4570
I have the ridgeline 300 wm and the BA in 338 lapua. Both are great shooters and I really like both. If I were gonna walk around with one it would be the ridgline. But the BA ain’t bad cause you can move the sling to different positions.

Now my buddy has the Classis or rogue in 338 lapua. I wished I would have gotten it. It is light and the stock is great. If you reload for them send me a pm cause I have some info

You will love whatever you chose. They are great rifles and are worth every penny. Every penny.

Sorry but your post can not be considered because you actually own two of the rifles and have first hand experience.
rifle

The Greatest Enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge.--Stephen Hawking
Re: Christensen Ridgeline or ELR? [Re: blackcoal] #6929301 10/23/17 12:54 AM
F
fast88 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
F
Originally Posted By: blackcoal
Originally Posted By: thorn4570

Sorry but your post can not be considered because you actually own two of the rifles and have first hand experience.
rifle

Lol!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide