Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
South Texas Border Illegals #6924516 10/18/17 12:55 PM
B
Brian C. Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
B
Headed down that way this winter for the first time hunting the border. Just curious what experiences others have had? I've worked down south but never further than Alice to Cotulla. This will be first time stomping around the brush. I'll be west of Raymondville and way south of Ozona.

God Bless Texas!!! Godspeed our Military!
Re: South Texas Border Illegals [Re: Brian C.] #6924753 10/18/17 04:08 PM
B
bp3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
That covers from Del Rio to Brownsville

Re: South Texas Border Illegals [Re: Brian C.] #6924755 10/18/17 04:10 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Not just the illegals you got to watch for.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: South Texas Border Illegals [Re: hook_n_line] #6924908 10/18/17 05:56 PM
D
DirtNapTET Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: hook_n_line

How do you mean?

Re: South Texas Border Illegals [Re: Brian C.] #6924931 10/18/17 06:20 PM
T
TexasKC Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
I have never hunted right on the river but I did have a lease near Batesville for several years. When we got the lease the rancher told us to never leave camp without a firearm, never leave our camper or truck unlocked and if possible never confront an illegal. We never saw any illegals but they did break in to our camper and tore it up.

In the end, it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.
Re: South Texas Border Illegals [Re: DirtNapTET] #6924945 10/18/17 06:40 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted By: DirtNapTET

How do you mean?

Even the people here legally can be a problem. Had some guys (not illegals, pipeline workers) hunting at the end of the season who thought all the regulars were gone. They got caught in the stand. Apparently one was a felon in possession of a firearm. Could have gone wrong quick.

Last edited by hook_n_line; 10/18/17 06:43 PM.

Re: South Texas Border Illegals [Re: Brian C.] #6924948 10/18/17 06:43 PM
D
DPirates80 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Goodluck and be safe down there. Stick your barrel in your stand first.

Re: South Texas Border Illegals [Re: Brian C.] #6924956 10/18/17 06:56 PM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I can tell you that in our area of NE Webb County, which is very remote, we've had multiple encounters. Don't leave your house or your vehicles unlocked and ALWAYS take the keys with you. Don't leave weapons unsecured, especially in the pasture. Don't leave anything like knives, machetes, etc. laying out for easy access. We've never had a "problem" but last Saturday evening at 8:30, I had three bad hombres from the Dominican Republic come walking into camp. First group I've encountered that really had me nervous. Also, don't go anywhere without a sidearm for quick, up close encounters. Always have a phone on your person that works and in it have the number for the County Sheriff and Border Patrol. Know how to drop a GPS pin from your phone so LE can get to you more quickly.

Have the GPS coordinates for your camp area in your phone, too. Also a good idea to GPS all your stands and feeders plus other notable landmarks on the property.

Re: South Texas Border Illegals [Re: Brian C.] #6925041 10/18/17 08:38 PM
P
Phantom Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
I used to hunt close to eagle pass. One day I stopped to open a gate, heard a noise and turned around. there were 8 illegals in the back of my truck. I grabbed my sidearm and they all ran. They were gone as fast as they showed up. I have never had a really bad experience with them. I always figured most were trying to find work to feed their families, however, I never encountered a drug mule in my time there. I have been told that is a different story.

Good is the enemy of Great
Re: South Texas Border Illegals [Re: Phantom] #6925112 10/18/17 09:42 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: phantom
I used to hunt close to eagle pass. One day I stopped to open a gate, heard a noise and turned around. there were 8 illegals in the back of my truck. I grabbed my sidearm and they all ran. They were gone as fast as they showed up. I have never had a really bad experience with them. I always figured most were trying to find work to feed their families, however, I never encountered a drug mule in my time there. I have been told that is a different story.

They prolly followed directions to were a hand was picking them up to take them further north.. herd of similar pick up points like that... you just happen to fit the description lol

Last edited by Navasot; 10/18/17 09:43 PM.
Re: South Texas Border Illegals [Re: Brian C.] #6925124 10/18/17 09:55 PM
S
Stevarino Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S

Re: South Texas Border Illegals [Re: Brian C.] #6925382 10/19/17 02:15 AM
S
sbushee Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
S
Man, that’s crazy stories!

Re: South Texas Border Illegals [Re: Brian C.] #6925421 10/19/17 03:03 AM
B
Brian C. Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
B
Sound advice fouzman.

God Bless Texas!!! Godspeed our Military!
Re: South Texas Border Illegals [Re: Brian C.] #6925599 10/19/17 12:43 PM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: Brian C.
Sound advice fouzman.

Indeed. I have a good friend whose father was killed by illegals on their ranch near Laredo. He asked us to always carry a side arm while on their place, his dad didn't.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: South Texas Border Illegals [Re: Brian C.] #6925789 10/19/17 03:04 PM
E
ErnestTBass Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
I've had many encounters with illegals on our family places in southwest Texas but have been fortunate to never have a bad one. The vast majority are working/suffering to feed their families and are usually just hungry. But I guess all you need to find is one bad apple for your day to go very badly.

Re: South Texas Border Illegals [Re: Brian C.] #6925797 10/19/17 03:11 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
It's been my experience that the farther they get from the border the less aggressive they become. The guys who just crossed are normally still full of energy. Once they make it through that brush country they are a worn down and have a lot less fight. Webb county vs Edwards county for example. Guys crossing in Webb are looking to leave that country quick and will steal your car or truck. By they time they get to Edwards county (walking, crawling) they just want something to eat and drink.

Re: South Texas Border Illegals [Re: hook_n_line] #6925804 10/19/17 03:15 PM
E
ErnestTBass Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
It's been my experience that the farther they get from the border the less aggressive they become. The guys who just crossed are normally still full of energy. Once they make it through that brush country they are a worn down and have a lot less fight. Webb county vs Edwards county for example. Guys crossing in Webb are looking to leave that country quick and will steal your car or truck. By they time they get to Edwards county (walking, crawling) they just want something to eat and drink.

Ha. That's interesting. I've always encountered them in Edwards or Sutton County, so maybe that explains it. They've always been just hungry/thirsty or cold. Maybe wanting some work. When we've had break-ins, it was to get canned goods, and they'd usually leave the place as good as they found it.

Re: South Texas Border Illegals [Re: ErnestTBass] #6925810 10/19/17 03:20 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted By: ErnestTBass

Ha. That's interesting. I've always encountered them in Edwards or Sutton County, so maybe that explains it. They've always been just hungry/thirsty or cold. Maybe wanting some work. When we've had break-ins, it was to get canned goods, and they'd usually leave the place as good as they found it.

Yes sir. We used to just leave our doors unlocked with water and food in Edwards County. In Webb they have to climb over a 10' fence with razor wire to get anything.

Re: South Texas Border Illegals [Re: hook_n_line] #6925814 10/19/17 03:25 PM
E
ErnestTBass Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
Originally Posted By: ErnestTBass

Yes sir. We used to just leave our doors unlocked with water and food in Edwards County. In Webb they have to climb over a 10' fence with razor wire to get anything.

That's what we do - leave it unlocked, or just leave some food out on the porch.

Re: South Texas Border Illegals [Re: Brian C.] #6925896 10/19/17 04:34 PM
S
Southtexas36 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
I've hunted the same Webb Co ranch since 1981, and can't even try to figure out the number of encounters. In the last 10 years I've taken the approach that I leave them alone, they leave me alone, but doesn't mean I'm not prepared if one decides to take it to the next level. Camps stay unlocked when not there but I do lock everything while I'm there. I do tend to believe that anyone coming across does not want to add any extra attention to what they are doing.

Re: South Texas Border Illegals [Re: Brian C.] #6925916 10/19/17 04:47 PM
S
Son of a Blitch Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
I have a family ranch in Carrizo Springs, in Dimmit County. Can't tell you how many hundreds of backpacks we've found and how many hunts have been ruined when illegals are running through, with BP not far behind. As other have said, always have a side arm, and have it visible. Watch your 6. Have your phone on you with the local BP number already programmed in. I have three agents cell's stored in my phone.

I actually bought my two friend and I some official BP hats this year to wear while on the ranch. Overkill...probably. But after my buddy was approached by 6 bad hombres carrying square bailed backpacks demanding he give them water, while aggressively moving closer (until he pulled out his pistol), I'm doing all I can to be cautious. If my family is there with me and I go hunting in the morning, I lock up the doors on my way out. Always. I always walk with a flashlight in one hand and a pistol in the other when going to or leaving the blinds in the dark. Also, we've found quite a few illegals taking naps or an overnight siesta in our deer blinds. Be cautious when entering. Not that they would attack you, but that can be very scary for both parties early in the morning when it is dark out. Lock your vehicles and keep the keys with you.

I also tell the Border patrol station (located in Carrizo Springs) when I am going to be hunting sometimes. I have set off so many thermal or video sensors when walking around the ranch, and the BP comes hauling butt into the ranch thinking my buddies and I are "bodies," as the BP terms the illegals. many hunts have been ruined that way, unfortunately. Sometimes the agents will actually call to make sure it isn't us setting off the sensors. They have called me at 5:30am and asked if I am on a particular part of the ranch. If I say no, they know they have illegals moving through and they'll head out to find them.

I once turned down a road in the back of our ranch at 5am and saw brake lights light up and drive off quickly. I started driving towards the vehicle, nervously, to see what was going on. The truck quickly turned around and they threw on the high beams. I threw mine back on in response. That's when I got very really nervous. We both rolled up to one another and of course I had my .45 in my hand. It was an unmarked BP truck. The officer said a group of 25 were headed towards out ranch. I hunted the opposite side that morning. I was so tired that morning, but that exchange woke me up like I had just chugged a pot of coffee. Very uneasy feeling to know someone is on your ranch when you are the only one supposed to be there.

Bottom line, stay alert and stay safe. Most illegals just want to find a better life over here. Some are here to traffic drugs or people. Those folks do not want to be caught. I've heard some sad tales of people being hurt, robbed and even killed on their ranches. Most illegals will just try to hide and not approach you. But if they are desperate and tired and not thinking clearly, you need to be.

Last edited by George - w/ Map My Ranch; 10/19/17 05:38 PM.

George Blitch
george@mapmyranch.com
www.SonofaBlitch.com
www.MapMyRanch.com
www.YouTube.com/@sonofablitch
"Keep your aim as true as your word" - GB
Re: South Texas Border Illegals [Re: Brian C.] #6925922 10/19/17 04:53 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
A lot of it depends on where you are located. If you have a small deer camp out in the middle of nowhere, it's easy for them to look around and see there isn't much there for them to bother with, or have to carry, other than you leaving food/water out for them.
If your camp looks to be well stocked, and along a major travel route, then you could be looking at some pretty bold break ins. They can steal and take most of what you have, and be on the road in short order.
No reason to be afraid, just be alert!

Last edited by Jimbo; 10/19/17 05:04 PM.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: South Texas Border Illegals [Re: Brian C.] #6925952 10/19/17 05:13 PM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
That's what was weird about the three Dominicans that came into camp last Saturday, George. They weren't carrying anything. No water, no food, no nothing. But they were very aggressive about wanting one of our vehicles until they saw that I was armed. I fed them, let them bathe with the water hose, gave them some beer and some more food and water to take with them, even though I new they weren't going to be there that long since the wife was locked in the back bedroom talking to BP. I was just trying to keep them calm (and there) until BP arrived. First time I've encountered illegals who really made me uneasy. Two of the three were BIG and all three were very muscled up. I'll bet there is some dope stashed outside the gate somewhere.

Re: South Texas Border Illegals [Re: fouzman] #6925973 10/19/17 05:25 PM
S
Son of a Blitch Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: fouzman
That's what was weird about the three Dominicans that came into camp last Saturday, George. They weren't carrying anything. No water, no food, no nothing. But they were very aggressive about wanting one of our vehicles until they saw that I was armed. I fed them, let them bathe with the water hose, gave them some beer and some more food and water to take with them, even though I new they weren't going to be there that long since the wife was locked in the back bedroom talking to BP. I was just trying to keep them calm (and there) until BP arrived. First time I've encountered illegals who really made me uneasy. Two of the three were BIG and all three were very muscled up. I'll bet there is some dope stashed outside the gate somewhere.

Glad you kept a cool head and a good plan. Definitely some full bags of something nearby! Not many travel empty handed. Only times I see them empty handed is when they've changed into their second pair of clothes and ditched the backpacks to be on the route to the pick up point. 3 muscular dudes are carry weight and they would love to have a vehicle! They have a big payday ahead of them or a price on their heads if they don't deliver the goods.

Last edited by George - w/ Map My Ranch; 10/19/17 05:26 PM.

George Blitch
george@mapmyranch.com
www.SonofaBlitch.com
www.MapMyRanch.com
www.YouTube.com/@sonofablitch
"Keep your aim as true as your word" - GB
Re: South Texas Border Illegals [Re: Brian C.] #6926379 10/20/17 12:29 AM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Update. Two are in the hands of ICE awaiting a plane ride back to the eastern Caribbean. One played brush lawyer and claimed asylum under 'reasonable fear' of being returned. Probably the coyote who's in a world of trouble from whence he came. He's gonna sit in jail until his case comes up and get deported, then. BP says he has no proof of reasonable fear. Could be our guest for up to a year mad

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide