Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Precision Rimfire. A Primer. #6922886 10/17/17 12:44 AM
CharlieSierraDelta Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
In the "off season", if there is such a thing in the shooting world, I try and keep my skills crisp with rimfires. Sometimes it gets downright daunting reloading for a centerfire precision rifle. Enter the lowly, unforgiving, easy to shoot rimfire.

I say unforgiving simply because a rimfire at 50 yards using subsonic ammunition will highlight all of your shooting flaws, (at least for me that is).

A tiny bit too much pressure here, or a slight bit less bipod preload there, and your shot goes wide. It will definitely keep you on your toes, and you will find yourself begin to check off that internal marksmanship checklist.

The first part is the easiest. Picking the rifle. I have rarely come across a .22 rimfire rifle that wouldnt "shoot". Now, "shooting", is all relative really. Once you understand the capabilities of the hardware you are using, is when you strive to match its capabilities.

i.e. A classic example is the ubiquitous Ruger 10/22 carbine. This basic semi-auto rimfire has what I am going to call a base accuracy level of 2.5 MOA. So, at 50 yards, one could expect, with match ammo and good glass, and a good skillset, to shoot 5 rounds into 1.5 inches. This is not the rule however. I have seen what appears to be a box stock 10/22 with factory internals and barrel shoot 1 MOA (1/2). This I would consider the exception. These little carbines can be had for around $200. A good value given their aftermarket support.

At the other end of the spectrum we have something along the lines of a Cooper, Anschütz, Sako, Hammerli. Most of these rifles cost at least 10 fold of something like the 10/22, and their performance shows that. These rifles usually shoot AT LEAST MOA at 50 yards (1/2 inch), and most will shoot in the .2s and .1s with match grade ammunition, BUT!!!, if you DO NOT have the skillset, or glass, or gear, than you cannot reasonably expect a 2k plus dollar rifle to perform. This is true across the board including rifles/pistols/archery/slingshots/throwing knives, etc.

Ammunition is KEY!
Crap in, Crap out.
You should not expect any rifle to perform at a "match" level shooting bulk ammo with few exceptions. Yet I see people at the range shooting their nice CZ or Annie or (insert brand here) using bulk ammunition. Its not going to do the rifle, or yourself any favors other than getting a rough zero or plinking. And there is nothing wrong at all with plinking. Lapua, as well as Eley have introduced "bulk" ammo this year. When I say "bulk" ammo, I am referring to the way they are packaged, in large cardboard boxes with no dividers or trays. These "bulk" ammos are not at the same price point as what most people refer to as "bulk" ammo, and their performance proves it.

Knowledge is another factor.
How many people shun Wolf ammunition? I bet most people do not know that "Wolf Match Target" rimfire ammunition is loaded by SK and is the exact same thing as SK Standard Plus. For those of you that do know that, you might not know that SK Standard plus is the same as Lapua Club. Interesting huh?

There is a law of diminishing returns though.
While I can buy a brick (500 rds) of Wolf match target for around $60, a brick of Eley Tenex will cost you more than $200. Thats right people, about the same price as M193 5.56 for around the same amount of rounds.
Dont get me wrong, Tenex is tip top rimfire ammunition. Probably holds the most records. It is very very good ammunition that produces the least amount of flyers, but dont fool yourself and think your $150 Marlin is going to be able to make the most of it. Save your money and buy CCI Standard Velocity or something of the sort.

That leads me to this:

Rifles:

Budget 1: For the money, you cannot beat a Savage MkII series rifle. I have a 2017 model Savage FVSR represented below. It cost me $230 dollars OTD and wears a $50 simmons 3-9x40 scope. It comes from stock with a "heavy" fluted 16" THREADED barrel. The stock is free floated out of the box, and the trigger is pretty damned good (accutrigger). It will shoot with the best of them. It has a very good aftermarket. This is the rifle that, if I was on a budget, and could only afford one, this would be it.

Budget option 2:
Ruger 10/22
While out of the box, it will not be competitive. It is just built too sloppy from the factory in order to accommodate various ammo types, i.e. Stinger. The chamber is too loose albeit the barrel is in fact a very nice hammer forged item. The trigger down right sucks, but for around $60 you can get around this with a Ruger BX trigger.
In a nutshell, if you like tinkering, and playing legos with guns, this is the one. It can get expensive though. A good match grade bbl alone will run you at least $150 (Green Mountain or Feddersen) and that doesnt include all the other things like trigger, buffer, stock, bolt work, etc. Conservatively I would say, in order to have a "match grade" 10/22, you will be into it well north of $500, not including the optics.

Moderate priced:
CZ rifles
The 452 in particular. Unfortunately these are no longer made, and the NOS (new old stock) is down to the left hand variants, particularly the American version. This is what I purchased. Photos below. In my opinion, these are the best of the CZ rimfires (453s notwithstanding) and hand crafted quality. When CZ brought out the 455 it was bittersweet. Now, with the 455 series, you have the advantage of easy caliber swaps from 22lr to 17hmr in the same action and $140 barrel kits direct off their website. Where, to a purist they lost at was the handcrafted, deep gloss blued, hand fitted stocks and slick bolts. This was replaced with CNC receivers, CNC cut stocks and rougher actions. Regardless, they both are going to be probably the best bet for around $400 without having to go the lego route.

High priced/One and Done:
Anschutz 1416.
Out of the box this rifle will have a stellar trigger, fantastic barrel, and beautiful wood stock with hand fitted parts and be more capable than most shooters. With match grade ammo it will be a breeze to keep groups under 1/2" at 50. Again, 1/4" will be seen with top notch ammo.
If you have the money, skill, and glass, this is your starting point.

MY recommended "starting" rimfire ammunition on a "match" level will be either CCI Standard Velocity or Aguila Super Extra Standard velocity with the Aguila prime. I have been told, but not seen, that the Aguila has 2 different types of Super Extra. One with Aguila Prime and one with Eley Prime. I only have experience with the Eley prime, so ymmv.

CCI SV (Standard Velocity), from what I have learned is the same thing as CCI Green Tag that doesnt meet specified requirements. This at 1/4 the cost of CCI green tag. $38 a brick

Aguila Super Extra Standard Velocity. Certainly a mouth full, but seems to shoot a notch above (for me) CCI SV at around $30 a brick.

Wolf Match Target/SK Standard Plus/Lapua Club. A notch above the two above. Around $60 a brick. This stuff seems to be the fine line between "moderately priced" ammo and "super expensive" ammo. Again, the law of diminishing returns. If I were to recommend ONE ammunition to try right off the bat, it would be this.

Optics:
There is a law here, and it is, "you get what you pay for"
Now, thats not saying you cant have good results with cheap optics. Not at all. It simply means that you will have an easier time accomplishing what you set out for with good glass, tracking, reticle, zero stops, etc.
A good, thin reticle works best for me. I will outline in photos below. Most importantly, when it comes to optics, is to either, get glass with an Adjustable objective so you can get parallax free at 50 yards (where the majority of .22s are fired at), or get a "rimfire" scope with a set parallax at usually 50 or 60 yards. Parallax is extremely important at rimfire ranges.

Rest:
Do NOT depend on a "Lead Sled" or the like for any kind of precision shooting. These things are designed to mitigate the recoil of large, heavy recoiling rifles for the purpose of getting a zero. They WILL not serve you as a "benchrest". Trust me on this.
A front and rear bag, or a GOOD bipod and rear bag is what you are after.

Last thing and almost the absolute most important thing is:
DO NOT, WHATSOEVER, take the things you read on the internet as FACT. Including this post. This is just MY opinion and MY experience. Everyone has their own. 99% of the time, when people post up their groups, they are cherry picked to either make themselves feel better about their skills, or to prove some point to someone else that they are better than them. Take EVERYTHING with a grain of salt. Dont get discouraged because you cannot duplicate the same group size or same velocity as someone else. Just keep your nose to the grindstone and you will persevere. Its all about personal satisfaction. Unless you witness something with your own eyeballs, its not a FACT, just hearsay.

Today, after working 18 hours straight and with 4 hours sleep in the last 48, I decided to take the rest of the day off to go to the range. "Rimfire Day" is what I call it. No worrying about primer pocket or neck tension, bullet runout, seating depth, bullet ogive to lands, etc. Just relaxation.

I took 4 of my 7 rimfire rifles today. I brought with me Wolf match target, Aguila super extra SV, Winchester T22, Fiocchi TT sport, Federal Automatch, Federal Bulk 550, and Winchester SuperSpeed 40g.

Rifle #1 and the first groups on target is my CZ 455. It wears a Feddersen 16" Varmint bbl with a Form 1 suppressor that I built. It also has a Mueller 8-32x target scope sitting in an un-bedded Boyds At-One stock. I have added a Yo-Dave trigger spring kit to get it down to 1lb.

Rifle #2 is my old ugly 1977 10/22. It sits in a PMACA chassis with a Magpul MOE fixed carbine stock. It has a Ruger BX trigger with a "tuffer buffer" Hogue grip and Magnum Research "Ultra" Barrel and feaux Atlas Bipod. It wears a Sightron SII 6-24 AO scope with Fine duplex.

Last edited by CharlieSierraDelta; 10/17/17 12:44 AM.

[Linked Image]
Re: Precision Rimfire. A Primer. [Re: CharlieSierraDelta] #6922889 10/17/17 12:48 AM
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
Rifle #3 is my SUPER UGLY bone stock Savage MKII FVSR. It wears a $50 Simmons 8 Point 3x9 scope in Krylon camo and cheap "leupold rifleman" rings.

Rifle #4 is the surprise of the day.
BONE STOCK CZ 452 American LH with a Leupold Rimfire 2-7 scope.

Below is my non-cherry picked target from today. Anyone that lives in NE Texas knows how windy it was today.

[Linked Image]
Re: Precision Rimfire. A Primer. [Re: CharlieSierraDelta] #6922896 10/17/17 12:55 AM
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
For some reason my target pic is rotated 90 degrees.

[Linked Image]
Re: Precision Rimfire. A Primer. [Re: CharlieSierraDelta] #6922918 10/17/17 01:11 AM
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
Lets try this.

[Linked Image]
Re: Precision Rimfire. A Primer. [Re: CharlieSierraDelta] #6922940 10/17/17 01:28 AM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Greatness CSD !!! tomorrow is my "rimfire day" i'll get pics up too.

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Precision Rimfire. A Primer. [Re: Buzzsaw] #6922952 10/17/17 01:34 AM
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw

Hey bro, you dont gotta show me up with that Quad. grin

[Linked Image]
Re: Precision Rimfire. A Primer. [Re: CharlieSierraDelta] #6922955 10/17/17 01:37 AM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted By: CharlieSierraDelta

no way, but its sure fun

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Precision Rimfire. A Primer. [Re: Buzzsaw] #6922963 10/17/17 01:43 AM
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
Originally Posted By: CharlieSierraDelta

no way, but its sure fun

Agreed cheers

[Linked Image]
Re: Precision Rimfire. A Primer. [Re: CharlieSierraDelta] #6922964 10/17/17 01:45 AM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J

Would add Kidd to the one and done list.

The Kidd Lightweight is great to practice offhand and positional shooting.

Thank you for taking time for the great writeup. up

Re: Precision Rimfire. A Primer. [Re: jeffbird] #6922967 10/17/17 01:48 AM
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
Originally Posted By: jeffbird

Would add Kidd to the one and done list.

The Kidd Lightweight is great to practice offhand and positional shooting.

Thank you for taking time for the great writeup. up

Well, IMHO, just throwing a Kidd bbl on a 10/22 is not a "one and done" proposition. If your talking a complete Kidd rifle, I would almost agree, but I dont think it would keep up with ANY Anschutz dollar for dollar on any given day.

You know what I mean. Semi Vs Bolt. That whole thing.

[Linked Image]
Re: Precision Rimfire. A Primer. [Re: CharlieSierraDelta] #6922968 10/17/17 01:49 AM
kmon11 Offline
junior
junior
Good shooting and guns. up

Precision 22 shooting is fun but some of my most fun days with 22s have been when the range was just bare dirt mostly and several of us would use open sighted 22 pump actions and see who could run a golf ball to the 100 yard berm first. Now those were some fun rounds of GOLF.

Last edited by kmon1; 10/17/17 01:51 AM.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Precision Rimfire. A Primer. [Re: kmon11] #6922972 10/17/17 01:53 AM
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
Originally Posted By: kmon1
Good shooting and guns. up

Precision 22 shooting is fun but some of my most fun days with 22s have been when the range was just bare dirt mostly and several of us would use open sighted 22 pump actions and see who could run a golf ball to the 100 yard berm first. Now those were some fun rounds of GOLF.

But what to use as a driver? 45/70? Everyone knows a .22 is a putter. up

[Linked Image]
Re: Precision Rimfire. A Primer. [Re: CharlieSierraDelta] #6922978 10/17/17 01:58 AM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Talking about the Supergrade rifle in a McMillan Edge stock.

Mine will shoot 1” 10 shot groups off of a bag at 100 meters with SK Standard Plus, when the wind doesn’t eat me up.

That is with a 10x scope.

I’ll try to remember to take some pics next time the wind is not blowing.

The 22lr at 100 yards/meters is very similar to a 308 at 400 for wind corrections. So it is a great practice tool.

But it mainly is for positional practice, especially offhand, at 25m.

Re: Precision Rimfire. A Primer. [Re: jeffbird] #6922984 10/17/17 02:00 AM
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
Talking about the Supergrade rifle in a McMillan Edge stock.

Mine will shoot 1” 10 shot groups at 100 meters with SK Standard Plus, when the wind doesn’t eat me up.

That is with a 10x scope.

I’ll try to remember to take some pics next time the wind is not blowing.

The 22lr at 100 yards/meters is very similar to a 308 at 400 for wind corrections. So it is a great practice tool.

But it mainly is for positional practice, especially offhand.

Jeff, how close are you to Rockwall? I would love to shoot a supergrade sometime. Ive never seen one in person, but I have heard great things about them.

[Linked Image]
Re: Precision Rimfire. A Primer. [Re: CharlieSierraDelta] #6922996 10/17/17 02:07 AM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
I am in Austin.

You’re welcome to shoot it anytime.

Watch for a day with low wind and come on down.

What are your thoughts about a light weight higher magnification scope?

Re: Precision Rimfire. A Primer. [Re: jeffbird] #6923007 10/17/17 02:16 AM
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
I am in Austin.

You’re welcome to shoot it anytime.

Watch for a day with low wind and come on down.

What are your thoughts about a light weight higher magnification scope?

Im no expert. Just a shooter. My opinion doesnt mean anything to the next person. I just shoot what I have. I move optics around all the time. The most surprising thing was the lowly Leupold Rimfire 2-7. It was exceptional.

[Linked Image]
Re: Precision Rimfire. A Primer. [Re: CharlieSierraDelta] #6923012 10/17/17 02:22 AM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
I had a Kidd Supergrade. It shot unbelievable. I used to give the 25 yard benchresters fits

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Precision Rimfire. A Primer. [Re: Buzzsaw] #6923106 10/17/17 03:36 AM
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
I had a Kidd Supergrade. It shot unbelievable. I used to give the 25 yard benchresters fits

HAD?
Why Had?

[Linked Image]
Re: Precision Rimfire. A Primer. [Re: CharlieSierraDelta] #6923112 10/17/17 03:42 AM
Bee'z Offline
The Beedazzler
The Beedazzler
Great post Clint. You covered alot and are spot on.

[Linked Image]
Re: Precision Rimfire. A Primer. [Re: Bee'z] #6923118 10/17/17 03:46 AM
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
Originally Posted By: 2Beez
Great post Clint. You covered alot and are spot on.

Picked out the rifle you want to use yet? grin

[Linked Image]
Re: Precision Rimfire. A Primer. [Re: CharlieSierraDelta] #6923128 10/17/17 04:08 AM
Bee'z Offline
The Beedazzler
The Beedazzler
No, I will let it it be your choice grin I am just there to have fun and see where I fall. This will be a test for sure and I look forward to it. Make it interesting popcorn

[Linked Image]
Re: Precision Rimfire. A Primer. [Re: Bee'z] #6923130 10/17/17 04:10 AM
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
No, I will let it it be your choice grin I am just there to have fun and see where I fall. This will be a test for sure and I look forward to it. Make it interesting popcorn

Well, come shoot them all, pick what you want to shoot and let the chips fall. banana

[Linked Image]
Re: Precision Rimfire. A Primer. [Re: CharlieSierraDelta] #6923135 10/17/17 04:21 AM
Bee'z Offline
The Beedazzler
The Beedazzler
I like the sound of this and want the bad girl. The one who is a pain to get to behave. The one who will test me the most lol. Bring it and lets see what happens.

[Linked Image]
Re: Precision Rimfire. A Primer. [Re: Bee'z] #6923137 10/17/17 04:33 AM
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
I like the sound of this and want the bad girl. The one who is a pain to get to behave. The one who will test me the most lol. Bring it and lets see what happens.

Damn Josh, thats almost erotic.

[Linked Image]
Re: Precision Rimfire. A Primer. [Re: CharlieSierraDelta] #6923150 10/17/17 05:19 AM
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
Point being, get out there and shoot. Doesnt matter what you have. You can do it. If you need help, i will do what i can.

Im not a pro, will never be. I just shoot ok.

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide