Guest Policy on Your Lease #6921272 10/15/17 07:03 PM
J
jadkins Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
J
All,

In your experience what is the guest policy on your lease / leases you've heard of? Deer harvested included in your allotment or pay extra by deer?

Thanks.

JA

Re: Guest Policy on Your Lease [Re: jadkins] #6921276 10/15/17 07:10 PM
B
BayouGuy Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
B
On our 10 man 900 acre pine plantation lease, the club limit is three deer per member - 2 bucks, 1 doe. Guests are allowed with no fee. Both guest and hunter must occupy the same stand with one gun. Any deer killed go against the member's three deer limit. Generally speaking, guests are youth relatives of the member.

If you can't laugh at yourself, give me a call. I'll gladly laugh at you.

"I keep trying to see Nancy Pelosi's and Chuck Schumer's point of view,
but I can't seem to get my head that far up my [censored]." Senator John Kennedy, Louisiana
Re: Guest Policy on Your Lease [Re: jadkins] #6921277 10/15/17 07:14 PM
W
Walkabout Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
W
Our LO was very generous and we had an abundance of deer. One deer doe or buck on the guest tag. I asked my guest before hand take doe and hogs only. We had a great time grilling and playing cards. We never had anybody's day get upset.

Re: Guest Policy on Your Lease [Re: jadkins] #6921278 10/15/17 07:16 PM
Roll-Tide Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Our policy.

No guests before Thanksgiving. Only 1 guest during deer season, any harvest is off lessee allotment,
We don't have a huge deer population.

Outside of deer season a member can bring guests for hog. But for a max of five times for each guest. We figure if they come more than that, they can pay.

Re: Guest Policy on Your Lease [Re: jadkins] #6921344 10/15/17 08:28 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Current lease of over 20 years. No hunting guests allowed. There was an understood unspoken unquestioned youth privilege not to be abused, but we are down to only two members and our kids are grown, so not needed now.

I was on a second lease for a few years. Guests allowed after Thanksgiving. Shoot from the paying hunters bag limit. Also only after thanksgiving anyone's stand on the lease could be hunted by anyone as long as the person who owned the stand was not on the lease or using it. Only problem is if I was not staying on the lease the night before, I would sometimes show up to my stand to find someone hunting my stand before thanksgiving. Also it seemed like after half the members stopped filling their feeders after thanksgiving, but hunted other's stands that did.

I was on a large lease before with several members. Three different groups that did not know each other very well, but hunting together. There was detailed written rules from the landowner with youth allowed a doe/turkey, guests could take bucks does and pay a kill fee. You were only allowed to hunt your area or stands all season without permission from a member to hunt his/her stand. Widely abused by many including the lease manager and no one paid. Most did not even know the written rules existed I think.

While hunting as a guest on a friend's lease one weekend another member confided in me that they got on that lease because it had a liberal guest policy of one guest allowed anytime and no limit on what guest could kill. The two guys split the cost of the single lease spot, but both hunted on the lease every weekend as paying member and guest. It was almost as if the guy was recruiting me. This was a huge lease with several spots sold to different individuals and groups by the landowner. Unknown to the landowner I suspect this was done in the same way by others on that lease. Technically I suppose it was not against the rules as written by the landowner. I sat with my friend in his stand that weekend because there was no other place left on the lease without someone hunting it.

That second lease I was on for a few years I think the landowner originally handled the family close friend guest issue by splitting a lease spot into a "half spot" paying member. Half the cost of a full lease spot and could only take half a bag limit for that county. Otherwise the half spot was a member like anyone else including signing a contract and release. But I know the landowner was doing away with the half spots by attrition. I was the last half spot on that lease when a local group of hunters offered the landowner more money for the lease than our group could afford to match.

Re: Guest Policy on Your Lease [Re: jadkins] #6921355 10/15/17 08:39 PM
J
Jimbo1 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Kids/spouse can hunt anytime, deer taken off your allotment. Guests only allowed after Thanksgiving, deer taken off your allotment. No problems so far.

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Guest Policy on Your Lease [Re: jadkins] #6921468 10/15/17 10:51 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Totally depends on the type of lease you have. If it is a low key, not heavily managed lease then guest policy can be more liberal. If it is a well managed trophy lease then that is a different story.

In my 50 plus years of being on a variety of Texas leases, I would summarize that the guest policy is the number one issue that can make or break a lease. If guest are unlimited and can shoot what they want then there will be on going issues for sure.

We are on 9000 acres south texas trophy lease LF - we allow direct family OR one guest max. This is up to Dec 15th at which time we restrict to only direct family (this is due to the rut and naturally more hunters in camp during that time of the season)

Any and all guest must sit with the paid hunter and can only shoot what the paid member OK's. We are MLD so does and culls are fine

Good luck

You can't fix stupid
Re: Guest Policy on Your Lease [Re: tlk] #6921551 10/16/17 12:05 AM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: tlk
In my 50 plus years of being on a variety of Texas leases, I would summarize that the guest policy is the number one issue that can make or break a lease. If guest are unlimited and can shoot what they want then there will be on going issues for sure.

And it gets worse when a guest results in a deer being unrecovered, which is likely when guests are inexperienced hunters who seldom shoulder a firearm. The same is true for members who use the "everyone misses" defense to justify unrecovered deer not counting against their harvest limits.

Both are enough to drive some leases to adopt a no guests policy.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Guest Policy on Your Lease [Re: jadkins] #6921555 10/16/17 12:09 AM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
None allowed, other than spouse or children who hunt off members limit.

Guests are trouble. Leases are expensive and a lot of work. Why risk it?

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Guest Policy on Your Lease [Re: jadkins] #6921574 10/16/17 12:30 AM
M
Merican Duck Hunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Two buck lease/county, one "trophy", one cull. Any deer taken by a guest comes off the allotment of the paying member. Taking from the members allotment helps keep everyone in check imo. Basically you're responsible for any deer your buddy takes. If he messes up and shoots a "trophy", you miss out on your trophy that year, and maybe don't invite that guy back. But also if you have a nice buck that you want to give to your kid, dad, whoever, you have the option. Does are free game.

Arise.Kill.Eat -Acts 10:13
Originally Posted by Nathan Nelson
I have read a bunch of stuff on the internet about Star Wars but that does not mean I can skin a deer with a light saber.
Re: Guest Policy on Your Lease [Re: jadkins] #6921821 10/16/17 03:35 AM
C
CRAnderson52 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
We allow guests any time but they hunt with whoever they've come with, off of their hosts tag and they're there to shoot pigs and does only. Bucks are off limits unless it's a kiddo.

You can run but you can't hide...
Re: Guest Policy on Your Lease [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #6921860 10/16/17 04:40 AM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Originally Posted By: onlysmith&wesson
None allowed, other than spouse or children who hunt off members limit.

Guests are trouble. Leases are expensive and a lot of work. Why risk it?

I have been on other leases than the ones I posted about. I second, Guests are trouble. A common denominator was that every lease I was on that allowed guests in some form that also limited what they could kill, some of the lease members would ultimately talk about or accuse other members of allowing their guest to take game that was not declared. Like when hunting during the week when no one else was there or after they drove by camp from stand to town without stopping as examples. While walking into camp I have even been shot at by someones guest hunter when he thought I was a coyote. I personally feel safer on public land than I do on leases with unknown inexperienced guests hunting.

Re: Guest Policy on Your Lease [Re: jadkins] #6921982 10/16/17 12:13 PM
R
REALKILLER Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Take a friend or family member huntin. Good memories that last a lifetime.

Recently got a gym membership, strange folks! I like to show up the roid zombies with my full motion curls with the 55lb. bells. Not their cheater short stroked light weights. It's holarious.
Re: Guest Policy on Your Lease [Re: jadkins] #6922240 10/16/17 03:29 PM
D
Dien Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
One guest during deer season and must stay with you. Use your tag.

Use of other stands and feeders up to members but we're all understanding and share as needed.

I have never seen the lease manager on lease. Kinda disappears until payment time comes.

Re: Guest Policy on Your Lease [Re: jadkins] #6922244 10/16/17 03:34 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
10 paid spots, 5 members. Guests/family shoot off your allotment (10 trophy WT, 10 cull WT total).

In my experience, members' kids can either be a tremendous asset to have around (workers), or way worse than any non-family guest.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Guest Policy on Your Lease [Re: jadkins] #6922263 10/16/17 03:51 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Best guest policy I ever had, very trouble free. No guests hunting. If you brought a guest to the lease at all it had to be your wife/girlfriend or your kid and they were not allowed to hunt.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Guest Policy on Your Lease [Re: jadkins] #6922303 10/16/17 04:23 PM
T
TexasKC Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
I prefer a "no guests allowed" policy. I won't go as a guest unless it's a big corporate lease. Even then I rarely accept invitations. I don't like hunting with people I don't know.

In the end, it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.
Re: Guest Policy on Your Lease [Re: redchevy] #6922374 10/16/17 05:23 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: redchevy
Best guest policy I ever had, very trouble free. No guests hunting. If you brought a guest to the lease at all it had to be your wife/girlfriend or your kid and they were not allowed to hunt.

You may have hit upon a point worthy of discussion.

Perhaps kids should not be allowed to hunt deer and other big game until they are old enough to hold a member position on the lease. If a member parent wants their child to harvest deer, they should take responsibility for teaching them what they need to know in order to be capable and safe doing it. Until that time comes, by all means they should be encomuraged to join their parents in hunting lesser game and other lease activities, giving them the opportunity to learn and grow in knowledge and skill.

Of course I'm sure those who want to see their five-year-old take a 160-class buck will want no part of this.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Guest Policy on Your Lease [Re: jadkins] #6922655 10/16/17 09:02 PM
C
chalet Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
C
Guests and kids on paid members tag while hunting with member only. Gets a little fuzzy at times because we are mostly family. Figured out a while back that I value family more than trophy deer. I do fill a little like the Little Red Hen at times, but whatever, I can't complain. I get a more deer than I can eat, plenty of pigs, and lots of good campfire stories...

Shoot. Eat. Repeat.
Re: Guest Policy on Your Lease [Re: jadkins] #6922934 10/17/17 01:22 AM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
My earlier post about no guests other than spouse or children sounds a little cold hearted. But, our lease is great, we love it and we're really serious about killing great deer and protecting the longevity of our lease agreement. As members we get along great, appreciate each other and have fun. I party, a lot. Just not at lease when I'm hunting. It's all about what different hunters want out of their experience. My experience with guests has been negative for most of the reasons mentioned in earlier posts.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Guest Policy on Your Lease [Re: jadkins] #6922985 10/17/17 02:00 AM
H
HillbillyDeluxe Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Had different rules on different leases, some dictated by the landowner of course. Generally, we allow immediate family (wife/kids) only to hunt off of your tag as long as you are there accompanying. Sometimes on MLD, that helps because of extra does to kill. When allowed by landowner, we used to allow nonfamily guests during deer season (1 per trip per member), but stopped because it was being abused by members bringing too many business clients, etc. Any guests outside of deer season (dove hunting, camping, etc.) is fine.

Only issue we had with the family deal was one member wanted his son to be able to go down and hunt on his own off of dad's tag. He was 21 and in college and we said no. He wasn't on the list and the landowner was adamant about guests only being there with a member. He didn't like it, but had to explain to him the difference and that we would lose the lease no questions asked if he was found to be there alone.

Re: Guest Policy on Your Lease [Re: jadkins] #6923029 10/17/17 02:36 AM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
One guest at a time, if they shoot a trophy it counts as paying members. Have to hunt in the stand with a paying member. All the does and culls they can shoot. Never had an issue with a guest that I can remember in 24 years.

As far as kids, bring em. More the merrier. Chances are one of the other hunters has a buck coming in that they would love for the kid to shoot as long as they get to be there for the experience. I don't know how many text of pictures I get from members with the caption "this deer would be great for one of the kids to take."

Last edited by txshntr; 10/17/17 02:36 AM.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Guest Policy on Your Lease [Re: jadkins] #6923319 10/17/17 12:59 PM
B
BenBob Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
What guests?

Tired, Wired, and Uninspired
Re: Guest Policy on Your Lease [Re: jadkins] #6923348 10/17/17 01:24 PM
T
tShawnB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
3 guys on 1800 acres with no pressure and surrounded by large non hunting neighbors so immediate family and friends helps us manage our deer population. No trophies for guest, but we have plenty of shooters that don't fit the trophy category and always need to thin out the does. It works in this situation, but I have seen it abused and not feasible on other leases.

Last edited by tShawnB; 10/17/17 01:24 PM.

How come everybody I meet is a deer hunting expert?
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide