Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Deer hunting topography questions. #6920361 10/14/17 06:27 PM
Roll-Tide Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
I hunt east texas, have a section that is flat with mix of woods. I prefer the other section that it pretty think with hills.

Basically there is a ravine with a creek in the middle and on each side it goes up approximately 100 to 200 feet. Do the deer prefer to stay low by the creek, or up top?

Does cold or rainy weather make a difference in y'all's opinion. I found some fresh rubs , in a line yesterday up top and put a camera on them, which I usually don't do. But they are not hitting the corn at all.

Last edited by Roll-Tide; 10/14/17 06:28 PM.
Re: Deer hunting topography questions. [Re: Roll-Tide] #6920437 10/14/17 08:02 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
C
If I hunt a ravine like that, typically deer will move about 1/3 the way up from the bottom. They don't generally run the bottom, but just up from it. But it really depends on the layout. They can also walk the top ridge. Deer will also like to bed down in these ravine type places. If it is a bedding area, plan for that. Just scout it and see where the movement is.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Deer hunting topography questions. [Re: ChadTRG42] #6920832 10/15/17 02:15 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
If I hunt a ravine like that, typically deer will move about 1/3 the way up from the bottom. They don't generally run the bottom, but just up from it. But it really depends on the layout. They can also walk the top ridge. Deer will also like to bed down in these ravine type places. If it is a bedding area, plan for that. Just scout it and see where the movement is.

I agree with all of this except for the comment that deer will walk along the top of ridges. Being prey animals, their survival depends on avoiding the eyes of predators when possible. Walking along the top of ridges makes their outline more visible. For that reason, they prefer to walk some distance down from the peak so their outline has the hillside behind them. Also, scout for low points or saddles in the hills along the creek where deer can make it over them easier.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Deer hunting topography questions. [Re: Texas Dan] #6920834 10/15/17 02:16 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan

I agree with all of this except for the comment that deer will walk along the top of ridges. Being prey animals, their survival depends on avoiding the eyes of predators when possible. Walking along the top of ridges makes their outline more visible. For that reason, they prefer to walk some distance down from the peak so their outline has the hillside behind them. Look for low points or saddles in the hills along the creek where deer can make it over them easier.
I've seen many a mule deer silhouette their selves on ridges in west Texas

Re: Deer hunting topography questions. [Re: SapperTitan] #6920836 10/15/17 02:20 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan

I agree with all of this except for the comment that deer will walk along the top of ridges. Being prey animals, their survival depends on avoiding the eyes of predators when possible. Walking along the top of ridges makes their outline more visible. For that reason, they prefer to walk some distance down from the peak so their outline has the hillside behind them. Look for low points or saddles in the hills along the creek where deer can make it over them easier.
I've seen many a mule deer silhouette their selves on ridges in west Texas

Perhaps evidence of why mule deer are often considered easier to kill that whitetails.

My experience has always been that deer will use even the slightest of cover when choosing travel routes. It can be nothing more than a scattering of small trees that form a broken line across an open pasture.

Perhaps the best approach is to keep in mind that deer only move for a reason and will otherwise stay bedded for safety. And when they are driven to move, they have reasons for choosing specific routes. Even when being chased by a predator, I believe deer run along specific paths or routes that are most familiar to them. Putting together a strategy involves combining your knowledge of deer behavior with the sign you're able to locate to choose the right setup. For example, let's say you find a few rubs. Most likely, they form a rub line that indicates the deer was traveling in a general direction. You'll likely find the rubs were all made on the same side of small bushes or trees. This indicates the direction of travel. Next, take into account if the direction of travel points to a nearby bedding area or a feeding area. If it appears the buck was moving towards a nearby feeding area, it makes a good setup for an evening stand since deer usually begin feeding in the early evening. If it appears the buck was moving towards a nearby bedding area, best to hunt it in the morning when deer are looking to bed down for the day.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide