Print Thread
Solving a problem #6917655 10/12/17 11:58 AM
A
aerangis Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
A
The issue with choosing a DVR and optic for most folks is their head is not thinking outside the box for what ever reason. If that box is located between your Gluteus Maximus, no sense reading any further. If you like to tinker with gadgets, wrench on cars, read on......

I enjoy hunting hogs and have been hunting for quite some time with a certain crew that rolls with high dollar custom 308 AR's, 20 round mags, thermal/ /NV Monoculars, optics, of various shapes and sizes, typically the bigger-the-better, bipods, lasers, torches, quad rails, BUIS, etc. plus other assorted eye candy. Their rifles are without question accurate, reliable, and, most importantly to them, looks cool to TWAT Magazine fanboys and anyone else that's never burned dump trucks of brass on uncle sugars nickel.

Our hunts are all night affairs usually from last light to sunup., occasionally hunting in blinds but more often than not, hoofing it to make the rounds at the feeders and holing up in a hide if there's hogs. Hunting hogs is a an absolute blast when you're on the trigger. But more often than not, it a waiting game. And the sitting, scouting, walking, waiting, the tension and anticipation, it's a lot of work. 5-6 hours into the hunt, their heavy rifles wears their middle aged azzez out.

Thinking outside the box..... if we could scout our spots in the comfort of a Lazy Boy ,our hunts would be. perfect. No wasted effort, more hogs in the freezer, and less chance one of us will drop dead from a heart attack. Our crew being primarily IT security geeks, .gov spooks, and lazy by nature, we chewed on the problem.

The solution...

Wireless cameras at each feeder, on game trails, and the spots we hunt.

Cameras were modded to increase IR sensitivity and include a built in 5.8 gigahertz transmitter. Runs 3 days on a couple of 3.7v 18650 LIon cells. Each camera is programmed to send a txt alert when it detects the motion of an object that meets certain parameters of size & shape. Range is 4 miles. The entire package would easily fit in a cigarette pack. Cost = $30 each.

Receivers are the size of a box of matches. Run time on a single 3.7v 18650 cell is 2 days. Video is outputted to a reapeater that aggregates the video feeds to an open source app the aggregates the camera alerts to a monitor accessible to our cell phones via an access point. Cost= $22 each

Repeater....homebrewed.....old linksys AP with a YAGI directional ant running a DDWRT distro Cost = $0

Supplemental IR light at each cam = $6 each

A micro DVR could be added to each cam for $18 plus the SD card and the time to wire it to the cam.

I prefer a 600w transmmitter but 200mW works well for shorter ranges. We've gotten up to 1.5-2 miles LOS at 5v with this product.
https://www.amazon.com/Wolfwhoop-600TVL-...transmitter+5.8

A cheap and tiny 600w transmitter thats the size of a small matchbox. 2x 18650's 3800mah will run it 2 days.
https://www.amazon.com/AKK-TS5828L-600MW...transmitter+5.8

$18 will get this bad boy. Cam and transmitter, low current draw, it'll run a lot longer than you can stay awake to hunt.

https://www.amazon.com/GOQOTOMO-GT02-5-8...transmitter+5.8

Last edited by aerangis; 10/13/17 05:50 AM.
Re: DVR dementia [Re: aerangis] #6918614 10/13/17 01:20 AM
R
RiverRider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Ya might wanna edit this.

rofl

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: DVR dementia [Re: aerangis] #6919177 10/13/17 03:47 PM
P
Pig_Popper Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
Why would he need to edit ?

I've been waiting along time for this info - I get the equipment aspect but what would be greatly appreciated and needed for non-IT folks is a setup tutorial.

It doesn't have to be a A++ production, a picture slide show would be good...

I'm assuming you need power and a computer to process the camera to your phone without cellular coverage?

This is an excellent means to watching 3 feeders from camp without your scent being in the air and/or unable to travel easily (roam) between locations...

Have you found a waterproof case for the circuit and camera.

Where can I subscribe to that magazine by the way.....

This space is For Sale - inquire within ...
Re: DVR dementia [Re: Pig_Popper] #6919829 10/14/17 02:29 AM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: Pig_Popper
Why would he need to edit?

There's 5 hours in between the original post and edit. I read it last night as well and went huh? There's been significant modification.

IMHO, this is an interesting bill of materials in terms of putting down a list of parts to do what one hoped to do, I'm not convinced in practice it would work as expected.

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Re: DVR dementia [Re: CharlieCTx] #6919986 10/14/17 08:28 AM
A
aerangis Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: CharlieCTx
Originally Posted By: Pig_Popper
Why would he need to edit?

There's 5 hours in between the original post and edit. I read it last night as well and went huh? There's been significant modification.

IMHO, this is an interesting bill of materials in terms of putting down a list of parts to do what one hoped to do, I'm not convinced in practice it would work as expected.

Didnt change much, mostly added content.

1. Added links and references to the list of equipment.

2. minor changes in grammar

3. corrected mispelled word from "yogi" antenna to "Yagi" antenna (is "yogi" antenna really that funny? seriously?

Re: DVR dementia [Re: aerangis] #6920149 10/14/17 02:28 PM
R
RiverRider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
No. TWAT magazine is funny. Thought it was a typo, but I guess it fits the sarcastic tone.

[Linked Image]

-Augustus McRae
Re: DVR dementia [Re: aerangis] #6920150 10/14/17 02:29 PM
R
RiverRider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
"Yogi antenna" is kinda funny, though.

[Linked Image]