Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Hunting on someone else's land #6914499 10/09/17 09:04 PM
A
AdanV Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
A
I'm curious to see how many of yall hunt on someone else's land?
I don't mean hunting leases, just land owners that allowed yall to hunt on their property.

I'm always passing up farms & such when driving to the public hunting grounds, which most are at least an hour and a half drive.

I was thinking of maybe writing a few letters out and see if I can just hunt small game and hogs.

Then again, I feel like I'll be getting ticked off responses.
Me and my son went to public hunting ground yesterday evening, and we ended up picking up about 20 spent shells along with trash that was used a target practice. Some people...

Last edited by AdanV; 10/09/17 09:04 PM.

God Bless Texas
texas

Arsenal:
Savage Axis II - 30-06
Stoeger P350 - 12 Gauge
Diamond Edge SB-1 - Compound Bow
Re: Hunting on someone else's land [Re: AdanV] #6914519 10/09/17 09:15 PM
T
TxBuck Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
I do but the LO has done business with my family for over 30 yrs so he kinda knows me smile. He liked how I always took care of our place, so now I do the same for him.

Re: Hunting on someone else's land [Re: AdanV] #6914525 10/09/17 09:17 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
I do but they are very good friends

Re: Hunting on someone else's land [Re: AdanV] #6914532 10/09/17 09:20 PM
D
DPirates80 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
My experience was I knew a guy through my dad, and he owned some nice size tracts of land in Northeast TX. He brought my brother, father, and me out for a few hunts, then saw how good of young men my brothers and I were as far as good hunting morals and respecting his property. He had no sons only daughters and they weren't interested in hunting out there, so he enjoyed us riding up there every hunting season and even in the summer to visit and help out on his land. Worked out great for us. Eventually he passed, and family came in and started taking over land, and we respectively obeyed their decision to not hunt there anymore. Think they sold that property now.

Re: Hunting on someone else's land [Re: AdanV] #6914572 10/09/17 09:41 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I think writing some letters is a good idea. It use to be knocking on doors, but these days that might get you shot or bit.

If you convinced me that you would leave my property better than you found it and I liked the first impression you and your son made I would probably say yes to varmits and small game........if I was a farmer or rancher, which I currently am not. Offering to help with chores or mending fences etc....would be a positive as well.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Hunting on someone else's land [Re: AdanV] #6914596 10/09/17 09:50 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
face to face is what I have always done, there are tricks to doing it this way, its real easy for l/o to disregard letters, phone calls usually will get a no right off.

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Hunting on someone else's land [Re: AdanV] #6914608 10/09/17 09:59 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I hunt private land owned by someone else about 90% of the time, and hunt public land the remaining 10%.

Rule #1 is to never extend the rights and privileges you enjoy to anyone else, including family members, unless it feels completely right between you and the landowner. I've been hunting 200 acres of private land for almost 15 years now and it has never felt right to bring along a friend. I only hunt it with only family members, and there is no one else outside the family that hunts it.

The good news is that once you develop a good relationship with one landowner, it can lead to access with other tracts owned by others. Just follow the Golden Rule, don't bring in unknowns, and you'll be fine.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Hunting on someone else's land [Re: AdanV] #6914846 10/10/17 12:54 AM
A
a74aggie Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
A
I want to see you and size you up. IMO skip the letters.

�The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.� Edmund Burke

I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person
Re: Hunting on someone else's land [Re: AdanV] #6914894 10/10/17 01:22 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I hunt hogs and coyotes on all my neighbors land, equaling thousands of acres. They've told me to deer hunt if I wanted to, but our population is so low, I have no desire to deer hunt their places.

Go meet them in person. It goes much farther. Hat in hand, look them in the eye, yes sir, no sir still goes a long ways. You bringing up that you'll not litter, you'll leave gates the way you found them, you'll not harm crops or livestock also shows you know the rules of the range.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Hunting on someone else's land [Re: a74aggie] #6914912 10/10/17 01:35 AM
D
Dennis in Ft Worth Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: a74aggie
I want to see you and size you up. IMO skip the letters.

This ^^^ and, bring your son along when you stop to ask. Don't drive up into a fellow's "yard" in a big rig, camo'd out, ready to kill something. Offer to share any game you harvest (which, of course, you have already plucked, field dressed, etc.). Let them know that you know to close a gate or leave open, as you found it. Don't litter, including spent shotshells--haul it out. Stick to established roads/trails. Some landowners don't want you shooting certain game, for example, doves OK, but don't shoot my quail. Respect that. And, like Dan said above, don't start bringing all your buddies along. Bonus points: if your wife (or you) cooks up a great cake/pie/casserole (sp?) or whatever dish, bring that and offer as a token of thanks.

[Linked Image]
Me and ol' RUGER, 74 years and still shooting.
Re: Hunting on someone else's land [Re: AdanV] #6914918 10/10/17 01:43 AM
A
a74aggie Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
A

�The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.� Edmund Burke

I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person
Re: Hunting on someone else's land [Re: AdanV] #6914931 10/10/17 01:49 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
A friend of mine, not a good friend actually my wife's friends husband just text me today and said he and 2 friends are coming to TX to visit his brother and ask if I could take them all out for a hog hunt. I told him most the places I hunt are private property and I am a guest and can't just invite friends to come out with me. He responded with whatever. Now even if I could take him out there is no chance in hell I would. When you gain someones trust and they give you access to their property that means something atlas to me it does and I'm not doing anything to ruin that.

Re: Hunting on someone else's land [Re: SapperTitan] #6914959 10/10/17 01:59 AM
D
dkershen Offline
Rev Dave
Rev Dave
D
Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
A friend of mine, not a good friend actually my wife's friends husband just text me today and said he and 2 friends are coming to TX to visit his brother and ask if I could take them all out for a hog hunt. I told him most the places I hunt are private property and I am a guest and can't just invite friends to come out with me. He responded with whatever. Now even if I could take him out there is no chance in hell I would. When you gain someones trust and they give you access to their property that means something atlas to me it does and I'm not doing anything to ruin that.

Smart on your part up

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: Hunting on someone else's land [Re: AdanV] #6915028 10/10/17 02:39 AM
L
longgunner Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
L
I teach my boy "Nobody will ever remember how many birds you shot, but they will always remember how many spent shells you left"......

Re: Hunting on someone else's land [Re: AdanV] #6915032 10/10/17 02:42 AM
F
fonzie Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
I consider myself lucky a few years ago I gained access to run dogs in a mans property. When I sold my dogs he told me I'm more then welcome to come shoot hogs. I took him up one it, that was oh three years ago. I call him every time before I head out to make sure it's ok. He tells me I don't have to ask I do anyways out of respect. I have a feeder out there along with a blind. He allows me to bring a buddy to hog hunt but I only have a hand full of buddies I take. Most the time it's me alone or with my kids. I always offer to help with any work on the place or if something isn't right while I'm there I fix it.

FREE Hog Removal
817-823-8939
Re: Hunting on someone else's land [Re: AdanV] #6915245 10/10/17 11:55 AM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
I remember reading an article either here or another place where a guy noticed a piece of property where people were using as to dump various things, he looked up the owner who lived in NY, sent her a letter with pictures and asked if he cleaned it up could he hunt it for small game and birds She gave him permission to hunt what whatever he wanted and he shot a huge buck that year up

texas flag

Re: Hunting on someone else's land [Re: Dennis in Ft Worth] #6915260 10/10/17 12:09 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Dennis in Ft Worth
Bonus points: if your wife (or you) cooks up a great cake/pie/casserole (sp?) or whatever dish, bring that and offer as a token of thanks.

The wife made up some rum cakes around Christmas time; an old newspaper recipe that my mom used to use. We took them around to the neighbors' places. They made quite the impression. That, and a case of Lone Star for the old boys goes a long ways.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Hunting on someone else's land [Re: AdanV] #6915300 10/10/17 12:33 PM
D
D Rogers Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
I hunt exclusively on someone else's property.....my wife's! All of our hunting properties were family land that got passed down to her

~Dustin

"Life's complicated, man, like a dang ol' Rubik's cube, man. Talkin' 'bout blue and red, man. Dang ol' get one side, dang ol' messed up th' other side, man."

-Boomhauer
Re: Hunting on someone else's land [Re: AdanV] #6915324 10/10/17 12:51 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
I think it depends where you are. I've been in south Texas and was allowed to hunt hogs. In east Texas the man said shoot a deer if you can find one but kill all the hogs you see. In my area in central Texas Expect to hear 'No' or 'Hell No'. These people have old land grants and don't want any one on there place unless they can get money out of it. The guy to the south of me will sometimes trade hunts for work or things he can use (cool). the guy to the west of doesn't want you to look that way(not cool). The guy north west of me will forget he said you could hunt and call the law.(can be cool) One guy lets us hog hunt but no deer.(friendly but peculiar) They can only tell you "no" but you'll never know if you don't ask. up

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Hunting on someone else's land [Re: AdanV] #6915392 10/10/17 01:36 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Had it work out one time and one time only. We were on our way home and drove past a field filled with hogs on a back road so we stopped and looked. A car came out of a driveway and asked us what was up and we said we were just looking at the hogs. He said he hated them and that was his property. We offered we had a hog trap we would set and see if we could catch them and he said go for it if you want. We never did catch a hog though.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Hunting on someone else's land [Re: AdanV] #6915451 10/10/17 02:31 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
I hunt on my buddy's places and they hunt on mine, but I wouldn't trust a stranger. And it's a shame because all of my friends' places are in the hill country and they all have plenty of deer that need to be taken.

Too many people are too lazy, selfish, slobbish, and generally lousy these days. The good apples are outnumbered by the bad apples.

Re: Hunting on someone else's land [Re: AdanV] #6915463 10/10/17 02:42 PM
O
oaktreeplanter Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
O
Making friends with landowners is the best thing that you can do. That may be easier said than done depending on where you live though.

"They will be called oaks of righteousness"
Isaiah 61:3
Re: Hunting on someone else's land [Re: AdanV] #6915523 10/10/17 03:29 PM
T
txhunter1010 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
I sent out letters to land owners a few year ago. I probably sent out 30-40 and I actually got about 15-20 replies back be it a phone call or email.. What I got out of them mostly was either " it was already leased, it is family land or some other excuses.. Everyone was nice and not rude. I did get some good news too.. One lady said the hunting was leased but I was more than welcome to come fish with my kids in the spring and summer on one of her big tanks, .. another old man that I talked to on the phone for 30 minutes said he would let me know when his current hunters left and I would have first chance at his place.. and another lady said I could come shoot all the hogs we wanted after deer season was over too.. So letters certainly cant hurt. I will do it again too..

Re: Hunting on someone else's land [Re: AdanV] #6915549 10/10/17 03:44 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
When I was young I used to hunt other people's land peep

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Hunting on someone else's land [Re: Erathkid] #6915602 10/10/17 04:45 PM
M
maximum Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: Erathkid
When I was young I used to hunt other people's land peep

some years back, I used to "sneak" onto my own property at
odd hours to see if I could catch those who were used to
trespassing at their leisure since it had been vacant before