Print Thread
Surgically Inseminating a Dog #6894234 09/21/17 01:29 PM
G
gary roberson Online Content OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
G
This week on CARNIVORE may be the most educational show that we have ever done. While we will be coon hunting, we will also run a female down to Dr. James Bell at Castroville, TX so that we can inseminate her to a dog that has been dead for several years. I had never seen this procedure performed and I can say that it was most successful as she raised 7 healthy pups.
This is a "must see" for those of you wanting to find a way to keep a certain bloodline going long after the dogs are gone. I hope that you will tune in.
Adios,
Gary

Re: Surgically Inseminating a Dog [Re: gary roberson] #6895292 09/22/17 01:27 PM
E
EddieWalker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
My newest puppy is almost 8 months old, and was fathered by 18 year old semen. His father was an amazing Akita with traits that we just haven't been able to find in any living dogs today. There is also another deceased Akita that the owner saved his semen that we are strongly considering using for our female when she is ready to breed. In the world of Akita's, breeders have taken the breed in a direction that we do not care for and we are part of a small group that are focusing on the older dogs of years ago. It's expensive, and risky, but the results have been extremely impressive so far.

Congrats on your breeding, I'll keep my eye open for the show. How old was the male when his semen was taken? Collecting at the right age seems to be the biggest factor in how successful it is when used. Too many people wait until their dog is past his prime to collect, and from what we've heard, the results are not consistent.

Re: Surgically Inseminating a Dog [Re: gary roberson] #6898035 09/25/17 01:30 PM
G
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
G
I think that the male was 7-8 years old when collected in 2008. I looked at the semen under a microscope and it was about 80% live. If success rate is the best way to judge the vet, I would say that James Bell is possibly the best at what he does. I have corresponded with other houndsmen across the country and no one I have heard of has his record for success.
Adios,
Gary

Re: Surgically Inseminating a Dog [Re: gary roberson] #6898070 09/25/17 02:10 PM
E
EddieWalker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
This is who we are going to use. I can't comment on who is the best, or who is better, but just wanted to add to your thread with another option for anybody that is looking for somebody closer to DFW and East Texas.

http://www.animalfertilityclinic.net/html/au.html

Re: Surgically Inseminating a Dog [Re: gary roberson] #6899291 09/26/17 01:54 PM
G
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
G
Yes, I am sure that there are other clinics/vets across the state that do the same procedure with great success and Castroville is a long way from the Dallas area. Good luck with your female and I hope that you get a healthy litter.
Adios,
Gary

Re: Surgically Inseminating a Dog [Re: gary roberson] #6899313 09/26/17 02:15 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
very interesting. I have an old dog I want to take in to see what they can get from him. I'd like to be able have his genes passed on.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Surgically Inseminating a Dog [Re: gary roberson] #6900482 09/27/17 12:57 PM
E
EddieWalker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
How old? You'll lose a certain percentage of sperm with every year, and only the vet will be able to tell you what percentage you have that is viable. If you are doing this for your own use, it's not very expensive. The big money is in paying the owner for it. Especially if it was a winning dog with a good reputation for breeding. Having it transported across the country will also add to the expense.

Re: Surgically Inseminating a Dog [Re: gary roberson] #6901686 09/28/17 03:12 AM
R
Ronnie Oneal Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
I think I read somewhere you breed her to Diamond Jim...I remember hunting with him in the Texas state hunt probably 13-15 years ago if my memory serves me right...I want to say Jimmy Don Presley either owned or handled him...

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCQa5cwBGes6Kp0cGQOj2Brw

NIGHT CREW TV on YouTube ☝️☝️☝️

https://m.facebook.com/nightcrewfans/

NIGHT CREW TV Facebook☝️☝️☝️
Re: Surgically Inseminating a Dog [Re: gary roberson] #6901689 09/28/17 03:14 AM
R
Ronnie Oneal Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Gary do you know Wesley Martin or Jim Ballard? They are both blue tick men where I live...

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCQa5cwBGes6Kp0cGQOj2Brw

NIGHT CREW TV on YouTube ☝️☝️☝️

https://m.facebook.com/nightcrewfans/

NIGHT CREW TV Facebook☝️☝️☝️
Re: Surgically Inseminating a Dog [Re: gary roberson] #6903135 09/29/17 01:32 PM
G
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
G
Ronnie,
I have talked to them on several occasions but I am not sure that I have ever met them. I bred to this same dog when Jim Smalling owned him in Idabell, OK. He was a nice hound that had a really good mama.
Adios,
Gary

Re: Surgically Inseminating a Dog [Re: EddieWalker] #6903576 09/29/17 08:30 PM
S
SouthWestIron Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: EddieWalker
My newest puppy is almost 8 months old, and was fathered by 18 year old semen. His father was an amazing Akita with traits that we just haven't been able to find in any living dogs today. There is also another deceased Akita that the owner saved his semen that we are strongly considering using for our female when she is ready to breed. In the world of Akita's, breeders have taken the breed in a direction that we do not care for and we are part of a small group that are focusing on the older dogs of years ago. It's expensive, and risky, but the results have been extremely impressive so far.

Congrats on your breeding, I'll keep my eye open for the show. How old was the male when his semen was taken? Collecting at the right age seems to be the biggest factor in how successful it is when used. Too many people wait until their dog is past his prime to collect, and from what we've heard, the results are not consistent.

Hachik, the most revered Akita of all time, helped push the Akita into the international dog world. Hachiko was born in 1923 and owned by Professor Hidesabur; Ueno of Tokyo. Professor Ueno lived near the Shibuya Train Station in a suburb of the city and commuted to work every day on the train.Hachik; accompanied his master to and from the station each day. On May 25, 1925, when the dog was 18 months old, he waited for his master's arrival on the four o'clock train, but Professor Ueno had suffered a fatal brain hemorrhage at work. Hachik; continued to wait for his master's return. He traveled to and from the station each day for the next nine years. He allowed the professor's relatives to care for him, but he never gave up the vigil at the station for his master. His vigil became world-renowned when, in 1934, shortly before his death, a bronze statue was erected at the Shibuya train station in his honor. This statue was melted down for munitions during the war, but a new one was commissioned after the war. Each year on April 8 since 1936, Hachik's devotion has been honored with a solemn ceremony of remembrance at Tokyo's Shibuya railroad station. Eventually, Hachik;'s legendary faithfulness became a national symbol of loyalty, particularly to the person and institution of the Emperor.

NOW THAT'S A DOG!!!!

Last edited by blazin; 09/29/17 08:31 PM.
Re: Surgically Inseminating a Dog [Re: gary roberson] #6904095 09/30/17 03:12 PM
E
EddieWalker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
Hachiko is probably the most famous Akita, but what most people don't realize about the breed is that they almost went extinct during WWII. After the war, only a few where survived and to save the species, they where bred to German Shepard's. AKC didn't accept them as a breed until the 70's and the breed standards where based on the dogs from before WWII. The challenge has been to breed out the Shepard characteristics, and get them back to where they used to be.

Artificial Insemination has played a big part in doing this. There are very few males out there that exemplify that old world breed standard. Local breeders tend to stay local, so you get a lot of dogs that all look the same in each area of the country. AI is the best way to break the mold and raise the standard.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide