Page 1 of 2 1 2
Best dog for me?(will be my first dog ever) #6892886 09/20/17 03:07 AM
W
Wooties Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
W
Hey folks, new to this forum but been over at the tff for quite a few years. I am wanting to get a dog for hunting primarily and just being part of our family also. I have never owned a dog in my life, I've done alot of reading lately and so on, and because I'm still not sure I'm just being biased I want to make sure I choose the right dog for me. I am looking at labs mostly because they interests me so much, I plan to mostly duck and dove hunt here in east texas so I know lots of dogs can fill that role. I also like the gsp, and the Brittany spaniel but I don't even know anyone who owns a hunting dog personally. So that's why I'm asking so far in advance I want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row before I pull the trigger and end up with the wrong dog, or training him wrong. So any and all advice I'm going to read and take to heart from rather I should try training him myself or rather I should buy a trained simi trained dog, what kinda videos books do you recommend. Anything really hoping to be ready for a dog next summer or maybe even spring. If you have any idea about places I should go look at or even talk to I'd really appreciate that too. Thanks all who reply in advance!

Re: Best dog for me?(will be my first dog ever) [Re: Wooties] #6892905 09/20/17 03:19 AM
E
Eagle 1 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
Give my son Brent a shout in Poynor. You can find his number at www.ggsportsman.com. He has GSP's and Labs and a wealth of knowledge on hunting dogs. Several on the THF have his dogs.

JMc

This message is brought to you by the Department of Redundancy Department...
Re: Best dog for me?(will be my first dog ever) [Re: Wooties] #6892980 09/20/17 06:58 AM
B
BradyBuck Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
As most of the people who visit this section of the THF know I'm a lab guy. For ducks, dove and family companion it's the route to go. It's especially a good route to go being your first dog because they are very forgiving.

The best advise I can give you and please listen is to do your research on the litter.

#1 make sure parents are health tested. Eyes, hips and elbows. DNA tests EIC, CNM, PRA minimum.

#2 buy pup out of parents with good temperaments and who are titled or at least hunted. If at all possible go see what the parents are like. For your first dog that's just going to be a hunting dog and family companion you will not want a super "hot" over the top energetic dog.

#3 Do yourself a huge favor and buy these two DVDs "Training a retriever puppy" by Bill Hillmann and "Sound Beginnings" by Jakie Mertens. Spend the money

#4 don't buy a silver

Feel free to call me at 806-786-6825 if you have any questions.

I'm hoping to have a litter on the ground late spring. FYI

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: Best dog for me?(will be my first dog ever) [Re: Eagle 1] #6893172 09/20/17 02:15 PM
W
Wooties Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
W
Originally Posted By: Eagle 1
Give my son Brent a shout in Poynor. You can find his number at www.ggsportsman.com. He has GSP's and Labs and a wealth of knowledge on hunting dogs. Several on the THF have his dogs.

I live pretty close to Poyner, I'll give him a call at the end of my work week and see what he has to say, thanks!

Re: Best dog for me?(will be my first dog ever) [Re: BradyBuck] #6893242 09/20/17 03:27 PM
W
Wooties Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
W
I am going to order these videos tonight Amazon does not carry them how ever, what does don't buy silver mean, that mean a older dog? Thanks for all the advice also. May give you a call sometime soon to ask some things.

Re: Best dog for me?(will be my first dog ever) [Re: Wooties] #6893299 09/20/17 04:19 PM
R
ronlhodges Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Labs are great dogs and mix with family very well and I agree with all above . However as suggested check out their health history . I have some kinfolks that have a black lab from a puppy and is now on up in his yrs but I feel so sorry for their dog cause they are prone to arthritis in the hip areas . They have a baby bed mattress in their home for him to lay on but so sad to see him walking in pain a lot . They have medicine he takes and sees' a vet regularly but they can't hunt him anymore but he is so friendly and they are really going to miss him when time comes for him to pass .

Myself I have had all kinds of family dogs but the one best dog I had was a Brittany Spaniel . That dog had so much energy but was also a great family dog . Never got to train him cause just over a yr old he was chasing a female Brittany in heat and well ... , she ran across a hwy and a semi caught them both . I was devastated but nothing I could do about it . However a great bird dog and family dog but very hyper . Never had his tail cropped tho and looked just like this one :

Brittany Spaniel

Re: Best dog for me?(will be my first dog ever) [Re: Wooties] #6893322 09/20/17 04:38 PM
CCBIRDDOGMAN Online Content
Bird Herder
Online Content
Bird Herder
The answer to this question is and always will be, Brittany.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Haven't had it in years but never spit any out.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I am a sucker for happy endings and strapped cowboys.
Re: Best dog for me?(will be my first dog ever) [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #6893335 09/20/17 04:45 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
Originally Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN
duel

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Best dog for me?(will be my first dog ever) [Re: Wooties] #6893417 09/20/17 05:50 PM
ETexas Hunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Get a Lab

Re: Best dog for me?(will be my first dog ever) [Re: Wooties] #6893448 09/20/17 06:20 PM
T
triggerbowtx Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Originally Posted By: Wooties
what does don't buy silver mean,

You are probably familiar with Black, Yellow and Chocolate Labrador retrievers. There are now breeders marketing "silver" labs. I won't get into the specifics, but just stick with any of the real and recognized colors, Black, Yellow or Choc.

Also, since it's your first dog ever... Be prepared. Mentally. Lab puppies are busy little creatures. They take (and deserve) a lot of time and attention to raise. If you're not up for the puppy part, definitely consider what people call a "started" dog. This is a dog that is usually young (under 2 years) and has at least some training. Everyone's opinion of "started" (how much training has the dog already had) is different, so you need to have someone with experience help make sure you find the right started dog for you and your family. If you go that route, come back here and ask questions about how to find the right started dog.

Re: Best dog for me?(will be my first dog ever) [Re: triggerbowtx] #6893459 09/20/17 06:36 PM
W
Wooties Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
W
Ok never heard of a silver lab before so thanks for the advice on that, the more I read the more I think my beat option for a 1st dog is to be a started dog. That being said what would your advice be to look at. Right now with work the way it is o can always get 30 minutes a day out with a dog no problem I work 3 days on 3 days off but still with 2 young boys it can be tough to get to far out from the house. The 6yo will go where ever, and the 1yo throws a fit when he can't.

Re: Best dog for me?(will be my first dog ever) [Re: triggerbowtx] #6893545 09/20/17 08:18 PM
B
Bass&More Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: triggerbowtx

You are probably familiar with Black, Yellow and Chocolate Labrador retrievers. There are now breeders marketing "silver" labs. I won't get into the specifics, but just stick with any of the real and recognized colors, Black, Yellow or Choc.

Also, since it's your first dog ever... Be prepared. Mentally. Lab puppies are busy little creatures. They take (and deserve) a lot of time and attention to raise. If you're not up for the puppy part, definitely consider what people call a "started" dog. This is a dog that is usually young (under 2 years) and has at least some training. Everyone's opinion of "started" (how much training has the dog already had) is different, so you need to have someone with experience help make sure you find the right started dog for you and your family. If you go that route, come back here and ask questions about how to find the right started dog.

Don't do this. Methodically it seems logical, but this is an alternate fact. bang I cringed reading it. Silver labs make great dogs same as the Black, Yellow and Chocolate genetically are the same with personalities that can be expected in all similar breeds. peep

Re: Best dog for me?(will be my first dog ever) [Re: Wooties] #6893568 09/20/17 08:39 PM
C
Cochise Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Man...get those boys a lab puppy that they can grow up with. A lot more work on the front end, but well worth it in the long run.

If you insist on getting a started dog you need to get with whoever you're purchasing the dog from before you ever take the dog and learn everything the dog knows and how to command the dog - otherwise you're going to get frustrated very quickly due to your lack of knowledge (hence why I think a puppy is better so you can both learn together - especially if you're just getting a meat dog/family pet).

Re: Best dog for me?(will be my first dog ever) [Re: Bass&More] #6893613 09/20/17 09:07 PM
R
ronlhodges Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
I also prefer puppies cause they grow to know your voice , your act how you treat them and they learn to respect you and not starters . JMHO

Re: Best dog for me?(will be my first dog ever) [Re: Bass&More] #6893614 09/20/17 09:08 PM
B
BradyBuck Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: Bass&More

Don't do this. Methodically it seems logical, but this is an alternate fact. bang I cringed reading it. Silver labs make great dogs same as the Black, Yellow and Chocolate genetically are the same with personalities that can be expected in all similar breeds. peep

Except.....

More prone to have coat and skin problems

Bred only for color

Very few are proven hunters and very few have hunt test titled

And a strong argument can be made that the dilute gene was introduced by crossing with a Weimaraner

Re: Best dog for me?(will be my first dog ever) [Re: Bass&More] #6893637 09/20/17 09:40 PM
T
triggerbowtx Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Originally Posted By: Bass&More

While I see what you did here (good one!)... your response doesn't really help much for the OP (if anything would be confusing to him). Sorry if I offended you on the other post, that was not my intent, I was just trying to help the OP in that case.

Anyway, I also never said a silver colored labrador could not be a good dog. I know a couple people that have one. I just gave the advice to stick with a black, yellow or chocolate. And for the record, silver colored labs are actually NOT genetically the same. That's the whole point (ie Dilute Gene). But that discussion is for an entirely different thread.

Re: Best dog for me?(will be my first dog ever) [Re: Wooties] #6893641 09/20/17 09:44 PM
A
adam94 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
A
Bill Hillman training a puppy retriever is a fantastic training tool. Already posted but it is amazing knowledge and worth the money. I also like Stonnie Dennis on YouTube he puts out a lot of videos and progression videos.

Re: Best dog for me?(will be my first dog ever) [Re: Wooties] #6893660 09/20/17 10:02 PM
pertnear Online Content
"Demolition Man"
Online Content
"Demolition Man"
Good first dog....

http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/6893514/Re:_Free_to_"good&#Post6893514

"Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.ā€¯ - George Orwell
Re: Best dog for me?(will be my first dog ever) [Re: Wooties] #6893669 09/20/17 10:10 PM
W
Wooties Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
W

One thing I am nervous about is kennel and house training him quickly on my own as a pup, cause atm mama is not down with the whole dog idea. I know her well enough as soon as she sees the oldest interacting with and enjoying the dog she'll be on board and happy. But crying dog and poop or pre maybe a bit of a mountain 

Last edited by Wooties; 09/20/17 10:11 PM.
Re: Best dog for me?(will be my first dog ever) [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #6893677 09/20/17 10:16 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

This.
I just put my 11 year old lab down a few weeks ago. He was a good dog but I'll never own another one. They're too big and shed ALL of the time. I like my Brittanys and my Shorthair pup isn't bad either.

Re: Best dog for me?(will be my first dog ever) [Re: BradyBuck] #6893682 09/20/17 10:18 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Originally Posted By: BradyBuck
As most of the people who visit this section of the THF know I'm a lab guy. For ducks, dove and family companion it's the route to go. It's especially a good route to go being your first dog because they are very forgiving.

The best advise I can give you and please listen is to do your research on the litter.

#1 make sure parents are health tested. Eyes, hips and elbows. DNA tests EIC, CNM, PRA minimum.

#2 buy pup out of parents with good temperaments and who are titled or at least hunted. If at all possible go see what the parents are like. For your first dog that's just going to be a hunting dog and family companion you will not want a super "hot" over the top energetic dog.

#3 Do yourself a huge favor and buy these two DVDs "Training a retriever puppy" by Bill Hillmann and "Sound Beginnings" by Jakie Mertens. Spend the money

#4 don't buy a silver

Feel free to call me at 806-786-6825 if you have any questions.

I'm hoping to have a litter on the ground late spring. FYI

I'm not a lab guy these days and will never own another one either, but for your first gun dog and family companion I second bradybuck's advice 110%. Get a Lab. Stay away from designer colors and mixed breed labs. Put #1 and #2 in importance over other color choices or size. For example the last thing you want is to have your first dog go blind from PRA when it could have been prevented with health clearances. If you cut corners on the initial cost of the dog forgoing #1 and #2, it potentially will cost you much much more in the end.

Re: Best dog for me?(will be my first dog ever) [Re: Wooties] #6893713 09/20/17 10:41 PM
W
Wooties Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
W
Part of the reason I'm waiting until spring or summer is we're moving soon, and I want time to save up the money I don't plan to cheap out I want a dog with proven background and ability and I'm willing to pay for it. I am really thankful for all the advice and opinions so far.

Re: Best dog for me?(will be my first dog ever) [Re: Wooties] #6893747 09/20/17 11:06 PM
B
BradyBuck Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
PM sent

Re: Best dog for me?(will be my first dog ever) [Re: Wooties] #6893922 09/21/17 01:31 AM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Wooties, here is my two bits. For what you want a retriever of some sort fits. Initially I was going to suggest a started dog. Then I read that you have young boys. Every boy needs atleast one puppy. Your gonna need to dog proof atleast one room cause a puppy is gonna chew on and get into everything for atleast a year and a half. The potty training is not going to happen as quick as you would like. Get your mind wrapped around that before you bring it home. It will also grow up with your boys and bond to them, then learn to hunt for them. As stated above, get all the health clearances by the breeder. It should come from hunting stock. You need to educate yourself about temperament and bidability. Different breeders breed for different things and the ones that don't talk about bidability and temperament probably don't view that as a priority. As a first time gundog owner those are two qualities that will make for a much better experience. I've had all kinds bird dogs and currently favor the versatiles, but for you a lab would be a good fit. If you are not gonna hunt geese, some of the smaller retrievers would probably work out as well, just make sure it is a breed that is strong in the water if you plan to duck hunt.
Enjoy the ride with your boys

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Best dog for me?(will be my first dog ever) [Re: Wooties] #6893978 09/21/17 02:23 AM
T
The Point Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
I am looking at labs mostly because they interests me so much, I plan to mostly duck and dove hunt here in east texas so I know lots of dogs can fill that role.

You plan on duck and dove hunting in east Texas. Lab is absolutely your best option. PERIOD.

Duck and doves are best hunted with a retriever and none of the other breeds can consistently beat a labrador RETRIEVER.

BTW, I don't own a lab. I also don't hunt dove and duck in east Texas.

After your wife gets sick of the shedding and says you can't get another lab, then your next dog can be a Pudel pointer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide