Page 1 of 2 1 2
Been obsessed with scales lately #6890143 09/17/17 10:43 PM
S
Sigmund Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
I've had a Lyman 1200 DPS power scale/dispenser since i started reloading. At the time i was primarily reloading handgun ammunition, and it worked well enough for that. However, over the last year and a half I've been spending more time trying to work up accurate rifle ammunition for longer range shooting. I've managed to isolate and fix a couple of other problems in my reloading setup, and the next suspect is the scale.

In order to diagnose what was going on, i decided to conduct an experiment. I had the Lyman 1200 DPS and an old RCBS balance beam, and a friend of mine had a RCBS charge master lite that he let me borrow for the experiment.

the experiment:
1 - dispence a charge of propellant with the Lyman, record final weight
2 - weigh dispensed charge on RCBS charge master, record weight
3 - weigh dispensed charge on the balance beam, record weight
4 - repeat for 20 charges.

5 - repeat steps 1-4 using RCBS to dispense propellant (step 1), and using Lyman as first weight check (step 2)
6 - repeat for 5 different propellants i typically use.

In total, 200 charges were dispensed, weighed, and re-weighed, and compiled into a spreadsheet. A lot of time went into it, so i thought i would share my findings. The weight recorded by the balance beam was used as the "gold standard" scale for all measurements.

Summary is below:

Results indicate that the RCBS performed a fair bit better than the Lyman. While some of the min-max variations were close, the RCBS consistently had a lower standard deviation in charge weight.

So my question is, has anyone here used an electronic balance like the Ohaus STX123, and will it offer the same level of accuracy/consistency as a mechanical balance? My understanding is that this is not a typical strain gauge type of scale, so it may not be prone to the same issues?

Re: Been obsessed with scales lately [Re: Sigmund] #6890229 09/18/17 12:03 AM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
This does not answer your question but it is my best advice. For long range precision: throw charges light. Use a trickler to trickle charges up that are dead nuts on the beam. In that capacity your Lyman will work fine.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Been obsessed with scales lately [Re: Sigmund] #6890235 09/18/17 12:06 AM
C
Cleric Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
I dkd something similar with the gem pro

Re: Been obsessed with scales lately [Re: Sigmund] #6890866 09/18/17 03:48 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
The simple powder dispensers that RCBS and others make are a low end scale that will have about a .1 +/- grain variance on their accuracy. I see this daily. For what they are, they work great. I use the RCBS CM to throw my initial charges and transfer the powder to a high end Sartorious digital scale with an Auto Trickler for the final powder charge.

If you plan to step up to a more accurate scale, you need to get one that has the right kind of mechanics on how it weighs. For example, the RCBS and other similar scales are a load cell scale, IIRC. It's a simple and low cost type scale. It will vary accuracy of the charges. If you throw 45 grains of powder and let it sit for a few hours, the scale will read a different weight later on. Also, if the scale is powered by batteries, the weight can vary depending on the battery level (new vs. old battery). Some other type scales in the $200-$500 range are a strain gauge. These type scales will read out to .02 grains, but will wonder around some due to warming up, florescent light interference, cell phones, and other items. I used an Accu Lab 123 for a while, and it worked. But you have to let them warm up and keep the lights and cell phones away. You have to calibrate it often to ensure correct weights. I finally stepped up to a Sartorious model that is a magnetic weighing scale, and it extremely accurate and consistent. When you turn it on and zero it, it's on and stays on. I don't get any wondering or shifts in the reading. It is easily accurate to +/- .02 grains. These type scales will be the best for consistency, but are also the most expensive.

If you want to stay within .1 +/- grain, for basic shooting, it will work fine. A .1 grain increase or decrease is equal to about 10 fps in velocity. If you are shooting inside of 500-600 yards, this variation is fine and you will not see it on the target. If you are trying to shoot 1000 yards or out to 1 mile (where we will shoot often), I want as accurate a powder throw as I possibly can get. I want the precision to .02 grains for myself and for my customers. It's worth it for me.

The most important thing I look at in a scale is what is the mechanics on how it weighs (and how reliable that method is), and how fast the settle time is (how fast it reads the weight). The Sartorious I use has a less than 1 second settle time. So, when a kernel of powder drops onto the scale, it reads the kernel in less than 1 second. Some scales have 2+ seconds of settle time, which slow you down when throwing powder charges.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Been obsessed with scales lately [Re: Sigmund] #6890900 09/18/17 04:11 PM
kmon11 Offline
junior
junior
For a lot of the loading I will stick with the Chargemaster with the inserts, like Chad said it is accurate enough for inside 500 or so yards. When loading for more consistency throw the charge a little light, transfer it to my beam scale and trickle up until edge of lines meat as exactly as my eyes can see it (this often gets me single digit extreme spreads).

I still think the old balance beam scales are tough to beat for accuracy, sure the markings on the scale are 1/10 gr increments but can match edge of line to edge of line for great consistency. Sure it is slow but worth it. Added advantage electronics do not interfere with them at all

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Been obsessed with scales lately [Re: Sigmund] #6890938 09/18/17 04:48 PM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
you get past 500 you will need to worry about more stuff than your scale but you are definitely on the right road

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Been obsessed with scales lately [Re: Sigmund] #6891674 09/19/17 03:26 AM
S
Sigmund Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Thank you everyone for your feedback and suggestions.

I called the ohaus support number this afternoon to ask them what type of mechanics the STX123 had. While the representative was able to answer the question (it's a strain guage), he was otherwise less than helpful in being able to tell me which of their scales were MFR (magnetic force restoration) or strain guage. The best guidance he offered to tell the difference is by price sometimes, with no guidance as to where the price threshold might be. Or that a MFR will measure 0.001 gram where a strain guage will only measure 0.010 gram, until I pointed out that the STX123 is a 0.001 gram scale. After the call, I wouldn't consider buying a scale from them anyway.

So after doing some more internet searching this evening, I found this to be kind of interesting:
http://scaleman.com/ammo-reloading-scale-fx-200i.html
The FX200i appears to be some sort of hybrid, but it's price seems close enough to the Sartorius Entris 323-1S to just go full MFR with the Sartorius.

The article article also had some helpful information. After doing some looking around, it looks like the Sartorius Entris 323-1S or the Entris 64-1S are the only MFR type balances that are under $1000.

I was hoping to find a MFR balance in the $500 range and possibly build my own version of automatic dispenser with a raspberry pi or arduino or something. I thought I may have been onto something with the ohaus, but after hearing some feedback here, and talking to ohaus, I guess it's not what I'm looking for.

So, it's looking like I may just get a new mechanical balance & trickler to use in conjunction with the Lyman for now. I'll keep looking for a MFR type electronic balance and hope to find a fire sale or a used one somewhere.

For mechanical balances, I've been looking at the Redding #2 I like that it has a vernier at the end of the beam.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/658771/redding-2-master-magnetic-powder-scale-505-grain-capacity
Anyone have any complaints, concerns, or bad experiences with this scale?

Most of my shooting is ~100y for hunting, and 500-1000y at a steel gong at the lease just for fun. Mostly, I just want to fix this scale issue in a permenant way. but ~$1000 for a scale is a bit more than I can invest at this time...

Re: Been obsessed with scales lately [Re: Sigmund] #6891687 09/19/17 04:04 AM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
^^^ Yes, you are on the right track. I had to do my research on the various scales and what type of mechanics they had. I spoke to a very knowledgeable tech at one of the scale companies, and he got me lined out on what I needed. The Sartorius Entris 323-1S I think is the exact scale I use. I know it's the 323 model, and not sure on the exact model of 323 scale. It does very well, and is very consistent, but it is more expensive. A strain gauge scale in the $250-$300 range will work for you, but just work with the scale and make sure it's reading accurately. Turn it on 30 minutes to 1 hour ahead of time, and keep it away from lights and cell phones, or any electrical interference. (If the AC kicked on or something on the same daisy chain of electrical line, it could vary the reading.) You just have to work with it more, but it will certainly give you the .02 reading you want. A simple balance beam and trickler will get you to the kernel accuracy, it's just a little slower. An RCBS CM will also do it, if you check the weight on it multiple times to make sure it's not varying that .1 grain. .1 grain accuracy is fine, and is beyond the capability of most rifles and shooters, honestly.

[Linked Image]
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Been obsessed with scales lately [Re: Sigmund] #6891849 09/19/17 12:29 PM
T
TackDriver Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
I like using the Chargemaster to drop kernels to about 3 grains less than desired weight, then drop it on a FX-120 and trickle it off with a AutoTrickler to the kernel to my desired weight. Pretty much accurate to the kernel, love it. Sometimes I need to add just one kernel when Autotrickler stops short of .02 grains, but barely over throws. Sometimes overthrows once out of a batch.

Re: Been obsessed with scales lately [Re: Sigmund] #6892887 09/20/17 03:07 AM
S
Sigmund Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
The Lyman certainly has all for the standard baggage that comes with a strain gauge/load cell type scale, it frequently complains about wanting to be recalibrated/zeroed, drifts, etc. and I leave it powered on 24/7. it can be extremely frustrating at times.

The chargemaster light was a far superior machine by comparison. Not only by more consistent weighing, it also threw only one over-charge in 100 throws, automatically threw another charge when the pan was placed on the scale, and did it all in just over 1/2 the time as the Lyman. If anyone is considering one, I would recommend the light version of the chargemaster.

I'm still trying to figure out what I'm going to do, but so far I'm thinking:
- Replace Lyman with charge master light, much faster, accurate enough alone for handgun & short range ammo.
- Get a mechanical balance and trickler/auto trickler for anything to be used for longer range or new load development.
- determine if I still have a problem, or if MFR balance is warranted.

The balance I have is an old RCBS, I think it's a model 5-0-5. It was my dads when he used to reload, and it still seems to work quite well. But the wire that runs from the hanger on the beam to the bottom of the pan is broken at the bottom of the pan holder, right where the screw goes through it. The parts stay together, but it's a little loose. At this point, I think I would rather use it to decorate the wall in the reloading room than to repair it and continue to use it as a scale.

Re: Been obsessed with scales lately [Re: Sigmund] #6893001 09/20/17 10:33 AM
R
RiverRider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Call RCBS about the broken part. I'll bet they'll have you fixed up within a week.

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: Been obsessed with scales lately [Re: Sigmund] #6893403 09/20/17 05:37 PM
S
spg Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Is the GEM PRO better than the RCBS that comes with the chargemaster?

Re: Been obsessed with scales lately [Re: Sigmund] #6893422 09/20/17 05:53 PM
C
Cleric Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
The gempro operates in a funky space imo. Better is a subjective term...

The gem pro is more precise but it is slower. I would say the gem pro is great for spot measurement but not workflow. The one odd thing about the gem pro is all measurements are even, which leads me to believe it is not quite as precise as advertised but still better then chargemaster

I would get a charge master if your less then 500-600 yards as it's good enough. I would get one of the higher end Scales with throwers if you go father. Or you can blow your money on a Prometheus

Re: Been obsessed with scales lately [Re: Sigmund] #6894002 09/21/17 02:39 AM
S
Sigmund Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
I called RCBS support this afternoon. Described the part that was broken, and they are sending me a replacement, FOR FREE! The guy I was talking to also seemed to know what he was talking about, it was a stark contrast from my call to ohaus. This was my second call to RCBS, their support has been outstanding on both occasions.

Did more searching today and found this. Something like this is what I was considering building myself using the hornady lock-n-load quick trickle and a MFR balance. I think I like this guy's setup a little better with the thrower + trickler combo.
http://www.autotrickler.com/auto-trickler.html

It's been a while since I've looked for an auto trickler, but the last time I did, I recall only finding the dandy products one.

I also looked at the Prometheus scales. $5,000+ for a scale seems crazy to me. Once you have a scale that can reliably measure a single kernel, additional precision or accuracy seems wasted. Wouldn't the contraption linked above on a Sartorius Entris 64-1S balance do just as well for ~$1500 all in? Unless there is something I'm overlooking here?

Re: Been obsessed with scales lately [Re: Sigmund] #6894046 09/21/17 03:51 AM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
The Auto Trickler is what I run attached to my Sartorious scale. I run 2 RCBS CM scales next to the Sartorious, and transfer the CM powder throw to the Sartorious to trickle up. If you set about .3 to .5 grains short, the Auto Trickler will finish the trickle in about 6-8 seconds, accurate to .02 grains. With the 2 CM scales and the Auto Trickler set up, the slowest part is seating a bullet. Powder charges are waiting on you. I can't seat a bullet fast enough to wait on the powder charge. It's fast.

[Linked Image]
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Been obsessed with scales lately [Re: Sigmund] #6894297 09/21/17 02:30 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
^^^^^ what Chad said...except I've purchased the whole system from Adam @ autotrickler. There is an update coming so the thrower will not clog with the bigger stick powders (think H4831sc, H1000, Retumbo) and mine should be here tomorrow. It is awesome and I'm not going back to a chargemaster, I sold it recently. Instead of the Sartorious scale Chad runs I have the A&D 201...you can buy the entire system from Cambridge Environmental in Canada (pay attention to exchange rates because their prices are Canadian and sometimes you can catch it where it is advantageous to the US buyer).

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Been obsessed with scales lately [Re: Judd] #6894674 09/21/17 08:00 PM
T
TackDriver Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Judd
^^^^^ what Chad said...except I've purchased the whole system from Adam @ autotrickler. There is an update coming so the thrower will not clog with the bigger stick powders (think H4831sc, H1000, Retumbo) and mine should be here tomorrow. It is awesome and I'm not going back to a chargemaster, I sold it recently. Instead of the Sartorious scale Chad runs I have the A&D 201...you can buy the entire system from Cambridge Environmental in Canada (pay attention to exchange rates because their prices are Canadian and sometimes you can catch it where it is advantageous to the US buyer).

Correct on the Canadian prices, I bought my FX-120 for around 500 bucks. May I ask what updates you meant and from where? I also have the AutoTrickler from Adam.

Re: Been obsessed with scales lately [Re: Sigmund] #6894830 09/21/17 10:15 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
The hole in the bottom was expanded to 8mm he said. This is the link to the fix: http://www.autotrickler.com/auto-trickler.html

It's $15 on his site.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Been obsessed with scales lately [Re: Judd] #6894851 09/21/17 10:39 PM
T
TackDriver Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Judd
The hole in the bottom was expanded to 8mm he said. This is the link to the fix: http://www.autotrickler.com/auto-trickler.html

It's $15 on his site.

Thanks, I'll contact Adam about it.

Re: Been obsessed with scales lately [Re: Sigmund] #6895469 09/22/17 04:13 PM
Y
yotehater Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Y
Whichever one you have, check it through the range with check weight standards. One might be more consistent than another at a certain charge. If it's not linear send it in for recalibration.

One shot is all it should take.
Re: Been obsessed with scales lately [Re: Sigmund] #6896381 09/23/17 03:49 PM
S
Sigmund Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Judd/TackDriver, have either of you guys seen any drift or any of the other typical issues that come with a strain gauge or load cell type scale. The only info I can find on the A&D FX mechanics is that they are "super hybrid sensor", I don't know what this means, but if It means that it doesn't drift, etc. I think I would be happy with it at about half the price of the Sartorious. I think either would be plenty accurate for my needs.

Also, when it comes to check/calibration weights, how critical is its accuracy? Is everyone using an ASTM class 1 (or better) calibration weight? Or is it just more important that the same weight is always used as a reference?

Last edited by Sigmund; 09/23/17 03:50 PM.
Re: Been obsessed with scales lately [Re: Sigmund] #6896391 09/23/17 04:23 PM
T
TackDriver Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Sigmund
Judd/TackDriver, have either of you guys seen any drift or any of the other typical issues that come with a strain gauge or load cell type scale. The only info I can find on the A&D FX mechanics is that they are "super hybrid sensor", I don't know what this means, but if It means that it doesn't drift, etc. I think I would be happy with it at about half the price of the Sartorious. I think either would be plenty accurate for my needs.

Also, when it comes to check/calibration weights, how critical is its accuracy? Is everyone using an ASTM class 1 (or better) calibration weight? Or is it just more important that the same weight is always used as a reference?

I do my weighing in my office where its cool, before I use the scales, I warm the scale and my CM up for 30 minutes and then I turn off all cellphones, printer, computer, etc so I get no frequencies in the office that may affect the scale, but have not seen any affect. I turn off my A /C so i get no draft because its so sensitive. When I use my calibration weight, its spot on each time I use it. When I use the Auto trickler, i weigh a charge that I want to use and put it aside to check calibration halfway or every 20 rounds to make sure its still spot on. I always get consistent charges of .02 grains or by the kernel. The plug for the Auto Trickler has a slow / fast speed lever which plugs in the back of the FX 120 to adjust the Auto Trickler's thrower spinning speed and it works for me and happy with it. It measure one kernel of Varget as .02 grains. Money wise, its money well spent for me.

Last edited by TackDriver; 09/23/17 04:26 PM.
Re: Been obsessed with scales lately [Re: Sigmund] #6896462 09/23/17 06:28 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C

The A&D scales are a higher end scale, and they work very well. I was looking at the A&D and Sartorious scales when I was buying.

[Linked Image]
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Been obsessed with scales lately [Re: Sigmund] #6896616 09/23/17 09:53 PM
S
Sigmund Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Chad/TackDriver, thank you for the feedback. I did a couple quick experiments in the reloading room today, I think there just may be something wrong with the Lyman scale that's had me so frustrated...

I still have the chargemaster light on loan, i calibrated it ~3 weeks ago, and it's been powered on 24/7 since then. It comes with qty 2 50 gram calibration weights. I switched the unit to grams (so I wouldn't have to do any conversions) and put the first calibration weight on. It read 50.00 grams. I added the second, and it was 100.00 grams.

I then took the 20 gram calibration weight from the Lyman on the RCBS scale, and it read 20.00 grams.

So I did the same test on the Lyman, it was calibrated the same time as the RCBS, and has been powered on as long. When I put the 20 gram calibration weight on it, it read 19.940. 60mg (0.926 grains) off! That's a lot of drift, so I recalibrated the Lyman, and even immediately after calibrating, it still weighs the calibration weight a little light (~19.990). This seems like a problem to me.

Then I started messing around with the RCBS mechanical balance. I'm still waiting on the replacement pan hanger for it, but I'm wondering if the following will be an issue. The indicator will land slightly high if the beam comes down toward zero vs. if the beam is coming up to zero. Is this something that needs to be addressed, or is this typical of mechanical scales due to friction on the knives/agates. I've already done a fairly thorough cleaning here, and knives seem sharp. The difference is about 0.05 grains depending on which direction the beam goes toward zero.

Re: Been obsessed with scales lately [Re: Sigmund] #6896737 09/24/17 12:35 AM
S
Sigmund Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Then I started messing around with the RCBS mechanical balance. I'm still waiting on the replacement pan hanger for it, but I'm wondering if the following will be an issue. The indicator will land slightly high if the beam comes down toward zero vs. if the beam is coming up to zero. Is this something that needs to be addressed, or is this typical of mechanical scales due to friction on the knives/agates. I've already done a fairly thorough cleaning here, and knives seem sharp. The difference is about 0.05 grains depending on which direction the beam goes toward zero.

Ignore this, I needed a bit more light to see the knife edge... a little sharpening was required. It's reading good now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide