Print Thread
What bows for just target practice ? #6885164 09/12/17 05:52 PM
R
ronlhodges Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
R
If you just wanted to do some target practicing what bows are good for that ? Compound or recurve , draw lbs and name brands . I've been interested along time , love watching archery contest and competitions but never got into archery . Just wanting something good for practice for someone in their lower 60s' . Would love to hunt but I doubt I would ever be able to go .

Re: What bows for just target practice ? [Re: ronlhodges] #6885874 09/13/17 04:23 AM
kmon11 Offline
junior
junior
If planning on going hunting compounds are easier to master in hunting weights for big game than recurves or longbows. If just having fun target shooting and enjoying the sport of archery I like traditional longbow or recurve. I also hunt with a recurve. To me there is something very fun about no releases, drop away rests or sights traditional is you the bow and arrow.

Just fun weights in Recurves 30 to 40lb bows are lots of fun but would not hunt anything bigger than a rabbit with one.

There are lots of recurves from Vista sold under various names that are very similar for fun and learning that are 129 to $200 and shoot quite well. Samic Sage is one of the most popular of these bows and is available in 5lb increments from like 25-55lbs. On the cheapest end of those is the PSE Razorback which is available in lighter weights for 99.99.

Compounds are more expensive but much easier to get pretty good with.
Front sight, peep sight, accurate captive style arrow rest, trigger release all add up to more accurate shooting for most. There are bows out there such as the Bear Cruzer, Diamond Infinite Edge Pro, Edge SB-1 Mission Craze, Bow tech Fury, PSE Stinger that all have a very wide range of draw length and weight adjustment along with 75-80% let off so you are only holding back 20 to 25 percent of peak weight while at full draw. For instance a 40lb compound with 75% letoff at full draw you are holding 10 lbs.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: What bows for just target practice ? [Re: ronlhodges] #6885914 09/13/17 10:44 AM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
You can get hooked on archery no matter what your age. The bow has been part of man from the very beginning, and that is what draws us to the sport. Just something natural!
As mentioned if your goal would be hunting, then a compound would be your best choice, although a crossbow would more than fill that need and allow you be deadly accurate with very little practice time.
If you are just wanting to learn the fundamentals of archery I'd suggest a recurve or longbow which takes some dedication and a lot of practice to master, but it's the cleanest, and can be the most rewarding in the sport of archery.
When I was a teen, (I'm now 70) I built a hand made bow from a cedar limb and it worked well until I finally broke it, but that is what got me started.
I wish there had been Youtube back then, and there are numerous videos on how to build a "self bow" where you are shown step by step how to build a bow using very few tools, and all by hand.
Check them out if you would want to consider building and shooting your own, made by your own hands.

Last edited by Jimbo; 09/13/17 10:50 AM.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: What bows for just target practice ? [Re: Jimbo] #6886285 09/13/17 04:54 PM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: Jimbo

When I was a teen, (I'm now 70) I built a hand made bow from a cedar limb and it worked well until I finally broke it, but that is what got me started.
I wish there had been Youtube back then, and there are numerous videos on how to build a "self bow" where you are shown step by step how to build a bow using very few tools, and all by hand.

Not trying to hijack thread but been thinking lately and we are the same age. If there had been youtube back when we were kids we would have seriously hurt or killed ourselves or others. Watermelon PVC guns or poison dart blowguns using PVC and compressed air or hog traps with guillotine trap doors which we would have tested on younger siblings and no limits on exploding targets. Just my neighborhood buddies alone kept the ER supplied with new X-ray equipment.
cheers back

The Greatest Enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge.--Stephen Hawking
Re: What bows for just target practice ? [Re: ronlhodges] #6886936 09/14/17 11:37 AM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Yep, but it brings back to mind the old saying......"Only the strong survive!" cheers

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide