Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
All Purpose Hunting Dog #6866811 08/24/17 02:09 AM
C
CaterpillarMan10 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
C
I am looking for an all purpose hunting dog to retrieve dove and ducks, hunt upland birds, and blood trail as well. I have been researching a lot of different breeds and have come across Drahthaars, GSP's, English Cocker Spaniels, and Boykin Spaniels. Does anyone have experience with these breeds, or does anyone have a suggestion of what other breed would fill the needs that I have? This will be a pet as well and will be living in the house with my family and wife's wiener dog. Any help would be much appreciated.

Re: All Purpose Hunting Dog [Re: CaterpillarMan10] #6866827 08/24/17 02:24 AM
B
BradyBuck Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Labrador Retrievers do it all.

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: All Purpose Hunting Dog [Re: CaterpillarMan10] #6866883 08/24/17 03:20 AM
K
kman2017 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
K
I was planning on getting a GSP pup but stumbled upon a lab and ended up getting him. The guy I got him from said he upland hunted with him, but I think in large part he's an exception. I know GSPs can do it all, especially if you're limiting your waterfowl hunting to Texas where it doesn't get too cold, but they can certainly be high strung.

Re: All Purpose Hunting Dog [Re: CaterpillarMan10] #6866884 08/24/17 03:21 AM
B
bobcat1 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I like my cockers. Never tried a blood trail but they will run a rabbit trail to perfection. I have a friend that has a Pudelpointer he says is doing great. Lots of choices. I prefer Cockers especially for house dogs.

Bobby Barnett

Re: All Purpose Hunting Dog [Re: CaterpillarMan10] #6866989 08/24/17 12:01 PM
S
stinkbelly Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I have two DDs. I hunt everything with them. I have hunted dove, duck, quail, pheasant, prairie chicken, snipe, rabbit, squirrel, hogs, turkey, deer, (probably missed something), and tracked (blood and human) with them. I hike, camp, kayak, and fish with mine. One has been to the top of the highest mountain in Colorado. Mine are inside family pets. I have nothing bad to say about them. I really like the DD breeding system because it keeps just anyone from being a breeder and because of that there are no puppy mills. I will get another one when mine retire.

Re: All Purpose Hunting Dog [Re: CaterpillarMan10] #6867080 08/24/17 01:35 PM
D
duckbill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
OP, I think the breeds you listed are good options. I have a DD and love him. He pointed wild quail at 7-8 months old and I plan on duck hunting with him this year. You may consider adding a Vizsla to your list of options to research. Good luck.

Originally Posted By: LandPirate
Yeah, don't listen to me. I'm just an idiot.

Originally Posted By: East
Lol. Duckbill that was funny!

Originally Posted By: thecoach
The dude up top has already taken lots of bone before this deer, both mule and whitetail.
Re: All Purpose Hunting Dog [Re: CaterpillarMan10] #6867205 08/24/17 03:13 PM
T
triggerbowtx Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Originally Posted By: CaterpillarMan10
I am looking for an all purpose hunting dog to retrieve dove and ducks, hunt upland birds, and blood trail as well. I have been researching a lot of different breeds and have come across Drahthaars, GSP's, English Cocker Spaniels, and Boykin Spaniels. Does anyone have experience with these breeds, or does anyone have a suggestion of what other breed would fill the needs that I have? This will be a pet as well and will be living in the house with my family and wife's wiener dog. Any help would be much appreciated.

What type of hunting will you be doing the most with this dog? And how much hunting do you do?

There is not a perfect "all purpose" dog but if you dove and duck hunt more than anything else, I would go with a lab (but I am biased because they are just my favorite in general). I don't know why people like to try and put a square peg in a round hole when they want a duck dog. You can never go wrong with choosing a labrador for a retrieving dog and a family pet. And before I get torched by the forum, yes, I have seen really awesome dogs that can get the work done from all of the breeds you mentioned. But for ME, I would be leaning towards a lab.

Most importantly, no matter what breed you go with, buy a well bred dog with health clearances.

Re: All Purpose Hunting Dog [Re: CaterpillarMan10] #6867292 08/24/17 04:33 PM
N
NewGulf Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
We have one black Lab/GSP female from my dads litter left if you are interested. She is Free btw.

Re: All Purpose Hunting Dog [Re: CaterpillarMan10] #6867311 08/24/17 05:00 PM
houstonLBD Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Boykin.

Re: All Purpose Hunting Dog [Re: CaterpillarMan10] #6867318 08/24/17 05:05 PM
houstonLBD Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Straight from Boykin Spaniel Society Website below:

"Today this little brown retriever can be found on hunts and in homes across America. Stamina in hot weather and eagerness to please make this dog a favorite in the dove fields, but Boykins have retained their spaniel flushing abilities and readily adapt to a variety of upland game hunting including pheasant, quail and grouse. An aptitude for water retrieving combined with their compact size assures these dogs a place in the duck boats and blinds as well. Boykins have often been described as "the dog that doesn't rock the boat." They are even effective in deer driving or in tracking wounded deer. Like many of the sporting breeds, Boykin spaniels make the transition from hunting companion to family pet easily. Boykin spaniels are true dual-purpose hunting dogs."

boykinspaniel.org

Last edited by houstonLBD; 08/24/17 05:08 PM.
Re: All Purpose Hunting Dog [Re: CaterpillarMan10] #6867323 08/24/17 05:10 PM
houstonLBD Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Why the Boykin Spaniel was created as a breed, was to find a better option than a lab in the early 1900s, that didnt add extra weight to the boat.

"The Boykin Spaniel was first bred by South Carolina hunters during the 1900's to provide the ideal dog for hunting ducks and wild turkeys in the Wateree River Swamp. Hunters on South Carolina's Wateree River needed a small rugged dog compactly built for boat travel and able to retrieve on land and water. In those days wagons, wooden boats and trains afforded hunters access to the game rich corridors along the river. But boat travel limited what hunters could carry. The typical heavyweight retriever was a drawback in a craft already loaded with men, guns, provisions and other gear."

from Boykinspaniel.org

Last edited by houstonLBD; 08/24/17 05:13 PM.
Re: All Purpose Hunting Dog [Re: CaterpillarMan10] #6867332 08/24/17 05:20 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
The answer is easy. French Brittany

Re: All Purpose Hunting Dog [Re: CaterpillarMan10] #6867396 08/24/17 06:22 PM
M
MS1454 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
When you say you hunt upland, do you want a close working flushing dog or a dog with some range? Where do you upland hunt? Too little information to give a recommendation.

Originally Posted By: Fooshman
I'll take a Black Female every time.

Re: All Purpose Hunting Dog [Re: CaterpillarMan10] #6867423 08/24/17 06:54 PM
A
aggie-01 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
A
I would also suggest looking at a Brittany. I have one and do all the things you mentioned except blood tracking but I am sure she could easily do it if I worked with her on it. Great family dogs also!

Mitch
Re: All Purpose Hunting Dog [Re: CaterpillarMan10] #6867779 08/24/17 11:56 PM
B
BradyBuck Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
There is only one breed that I'm aware of that is used extensively across the country for ducks, dove, quail and pheasant. This breed is used day in and day out by guides who do this for a living. The breed is the Labrador retriever. If you go get a lab from the dude down the street with two couch potato labs then you won't be pleased but if you do your research you can find a lab that will do it all. I know a guide here around Abilene that has a field bred lab that hunts dove, ducks, geese and mostly quail. She runs with pointers and can go all day. She might weigh 40 lbs soaking wet.

If I was you that's what I'd be looking for.

I'll be doing a little quail hunting with my lab this year and after she gets her HRCH we get her Upland title as well.

If you are just dead set on another breed then I would go with the DD or Boykin.

Re: All Purpose Hunting Dog [Re: CaterpillarMan10] #6867803 08/25/17 12:31 AM
C
Cajun Raider Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
New Gulf, I picked up a puppy from your dad yesterday. Took her to my vet today who said "she is perfect in health and attitude," my compliments to your dad.

Don't talk the talk if you didn't walk the walk.
Re: All Purpose Hunting Dog [Re: CaterpillarMan10] #6867838 08/25/17 12:57 AM
M
MS1454 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
Go to a NAVHDA event, youll get to see many different breeds all at once, talk to owners, breeders, etc.

Originally Posted By: Fooshman
I'll take a Black Female every time.

Re: All Purpose Hunting Dog [Re: CaterpillarMan10] #6867951 08/25/17 02:28 AM
C
CaterpillarMan10 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
C
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. Primarily this dog will be for dove and small water duck retrieval, secondly as a blood tracking dog, and thirdly I would like to use it on released upland birds. As an upland and blood dog, I would like it to be close working and not long ranging. I understand all working dogs will have a lot of drive, but I do not want a dog with endless energy that will not be able to function as an indoor family pet as well.

Not meaning to ruffle any feathers, but I have no desire for a lab. If I was a hardcore duck guy, I would own one, but I want an all around dog that isn't the same breed that everyone else on my street owns too.

From everything I have read, I keep getting pulled back to the DD for its all around abilities, but I have never personally been around one. Thanks again for the feedback.

Re: All Purpose Hunting Dog [Re: Cajun Raider] #6868101 08/25/17 11:37 AM
W
WCS Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
Originally Posted By: Cajun Raider
New Gulf, I picked up a puppy from your dad yesterday. Took her to my vet today who said "she is perfect in health and attitude," my compliments to your dad.

That Yellow puppy you liked is my daughters.

Re: All Purpose Hunting Dog [Re: CaterpillarMan10] #6868259 08/25/17 02:31 PM
R
RayB Offline
red bone Bob
red bone Bob
R
You can tell by the responses that the dog they own is the best dog for what you want. I agree with MS1454, go to one of those competitions and watch the dogs. For Draughts you can go to www.vdd-gna.org and find a training day. Some of the friendliest folks around as are most dog owners
Good luck with your search and let us know what you decide, with pictures.

There is time, and you must take it, to lay your hand on your dog's head as you walk past him lying on the floor or on his settle, time to talk with him, to remember with him, time to please him, time you can't buy back once he's gone" GBE
Re: All Purpose Hunting Dog [Re: CaterpillarMan10] #6868568 08/25/17 06:31 PM
B
Buckshot54 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
English Cocker

Re: All Purpose Hunting Dog [Re: bobcat1] #6868896 08/26/17 12:10 AM
K
kbobbjr Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: bobcat1
I have a friend that has a Pudelpointer he says is doing great. Lots of choices.

Not many Pudelpointers around. I wonder if it's the same one I'm training. If it is, I love the dog. Very smart, good nose, obedient, good marker and loves to work. Think I'd take it over a Drathaar.

Kevin Buckley
Castile Creek Kennels South
214-491-9257
www.castilecreekkennels.com
www.facebook.com/castilecreekkennels
Re: All Purpose Hunting Dog [Re: BradyBuck] #6869158 08/26/17 03:28 AM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted By: BradyBuck
There is only one breed that I'm aware of that is used extensively across the country for ducks, dove, quail and pheasant. This breed is used day in and day out by guides who do this for a living. The breed is the Labrador retriever. If you go get a lab from the dude down the street with two couch potato labs then you won't be pleased but if you do your research you can find a lab that will do it all. I know a guide here around Abilene that has a field bred lab that hunts dove, ducks, geese and mostly quail. She runs with pointers and can go all day. She might weigh 40 lbs soaking wet.

I'll be doing a little quail hunting with my lab this year and after she gets her HRCH we get her Upland title as well.

If you are just dead set on another breed then I would go with the DD or Boykin.

As an all around dog I'd never pick a lab. I just put my lab down two weeks ago that I've had for 11 years. He was a good duck and dove retriever and the smartest dog I've ever owned. He understood everything I told him to do. They're not an all around dog and shed worse than anything you could pick. I've never seen one that could run with a pointer for 15 minutes much less all day.

I've never had a Boykin or a cocker but think they would be good if I wanted a dog that didn't point. If you're going to quail hunt you won't be satisfied with a flusher. Ive only owned pointers, shorthairs, and Brittanys, besides the lab. I've hunted behind many other pointing breeds and for an all around dog I'll still pick a Britt every time. The britts and shorthair I have now I only bird hunt with. In the past I had a Britt that I hunted everything with, from squirrels to quail and he would find wounded deer, when I was guiding.

Re: All Purpose Hunting Dog [Re: scalebuster] #6869174 08/26/17 03:55 AM
B
BradyBuck Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: scalebuster
Originally Posted By: BradyBuck

As an all around dog I'd never pick a lab. I just put my lab down two weeks ago that I've had for 11 years. He was a good duck and dove retriever and the smartest dog I've ever owned. He understood everything I told him to do. They're not an all around dog and shed worse than anything you could pick. I've never seen one that could run with a pointer for 15 minutes much less all day.

I've never had a Boykin or a cocker but think they would be good if I wanted a dog that didn't point. If you're going to quail hunt you won't be satisfied with a flusher. Ive only owned pointers, shorthairs, and Brittanys, besides the lab. I've hunted behind many other pointing breeds and for an all around dog I'll still pick a Britt every time. The britts and shorthair I have now I only bird hunt with. In the past I had a Britt that I hunted everything with, from squirrels to quail and he would find wounded deer, when I was guiding.

If he said he was mainly a quail hunter who liked to dove and duck hunt every now and then I'd say go with a different breed. A Brit would be a good choice.

There are labs out there that can do it all. There are pheasant guides that use exclusively labs. The lab I'm speaking of absolutely runs with pointers and works for a guide who mainly does dove and quail. I realize that's not typical.

The OP does not want a lab but wants a family dog to hunt dove, ducks, Upland and blood trail. I'm sorry but the best fit for that is a well bred lab. He wants something else so a Boykin would be my next choice and if you wanted a pointer a Brit would be a good choice as well as a DD or a pudelpointer.

Re: All Purpose Hunting Dog [Re: NewGulf] #6869320 08/26/17 01:11 PM
B
Bass&More Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: NewGulf
We have one black Lab/GSP female from my dads litter left if you are interested. She is Free btw.

PM sent

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide