J
Judd Offline
#1 Creedmoor Fan
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Originally Posted By: scalebuster
Originally Posted By: longgunner
two follow ups:

NAK: We were once scolded by a federal game warden for cleaning birds in a pile. He said that they could not discriminate who's birds were who's. We were accused of allowing some hunters to shoot over their limits to offset others who had not. "Kinda odd that all of ya'll got your limit and finished at the same time!"

Regarding the "where are you hunting tonight" question: Lots of folks limit out in the AM and then hunt somewhere else in the evening. This is illegal. If you have reached your limit or are close to reaching your limit but will be hunting again that night, expect a second visit by the game wardens.

There is no law against cleaning birds in a pile. He can scold all he wants to. But can't write you a ticket for anything.

How do you handle the who's birds are who's question?

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Game warden lessons learned [Re: longgunner] #6863216 08/21/17 03:05 AM
L
longgunner Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
L
Judd,

Years ago, we were approached by a Federal and State Game Warden while cleaning birds. They told us they could cite us for cleaning birds in a big pile. They would cite for over limits and let us go "explain it to the judge".

I don't know what the letter of the law states, but I recommend you clean them separately if you are hunting with an outfitter or an area known for Game Wardens dropping by.

The place we were at was right next to I-10 in West Texas. We hunted there two years, and were checked on both times.

Re: Game warden lessons learned [Re: Herbie Hancock] #6863319 08/21/17 08:58 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Herbie Hancock
I don't understand why they want you to have your hunters ed card on you when the number is listed on your license.

They don't. If the HE is on there, you are fine. Been checked over 5 times and no issue ever.

Anyone reading this, just don't mix birds. Same story every year. Outfitters that do that are very stupid if they show up. It ain't Argentina, it's Texas. Every outfitter I have hunted with says the same thing. They know the law.

Re: Game warden lessons learned [Re: longgunner] #6863356 08/21/17 11:26 AM
B
BigAL33 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I save my grocery bags from Bucees (which are stronger than bags from HEB). We clean our birds separately and the breasts of each man's birds go in separate bag and then in the cooler for the ride home.

Re: Game warden lessons learned [Re: longgunner] #6863462 08/21/17 01:17 PM
J
Jaydub Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
If you put all of your birds in a pile and the total number exceeds the limit for the number of hunters by a couple, who's going to get the ticket? Probably everybody. Like somebody said, let the Judge figure it out. That's why you're not supposed to mingle birds.

I got checked one morning around 10am, had 6 or so birds no problem. I got checked that afternoon around 3 or 4 and when I told him I only had 8 or 9, he commented "You had 6 this morning, things must have slowed down". That was on a corporate hunt with about 100 hunters in 3 or 4 fields. The fact he recalled that was shocking.

Re: Game warden lessons learned [Re: longgunner] #6863498 08/21/17 01:45 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Number one rule, be nice and don't make your group or yourself a target. The GW will visit you every time he sees your truck. One of our hunting party , had no plug, no hunter ed, and no HIP. Made for a long weekend. We got checked on every hunt and even had 2 trucks block the driveway at the house and check even our guests that weren't hunting. That's a lesson learned for sure. Know your hunters and don't just trust they are completely legal.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Game warden lessons learned [Re: Judd] #6866459 08/23/17 08:57 PM
N
Nitro27 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
N
Originally Posted By: Judd
Originally Posted By: scalebuster
Originally Posted By: longgunner
two follow ups:

NAK: We were once scolded by a federal game warden for cleaning birds in a pile. He said that they could not discriminate who's birds were who's. We were accused of allowing some hunters to shoot over their limits to offset others who had not. "Kinda odd that all of ya'll got your limit and finished at the same time!"

Regarding the "where are you hunting tonight" question: Lots of folks limit out in the AM and then hunt somewhere else in the evening. This is illegal. If you have reached your limit or are close to reaching your limit but will be hunting again that night, expect a second visit by the game wardens.

There is no law against cleaning birds in a pile. He can scold all he wants to. But can't write you a ticket for anything.

How do you handle the who's birds are who's question?

easy all my birds were head shots

Re: Game warden lessons learned [Re: longgunner] #6866488 08/23/17 09:27 PM
W
Wacm Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
I got pulled over one Sunday late afternoon driving home from West TX. In between Colman and Brady. Trooper came to my window and told me he was pulling me over for driving in a passing lane but it's just a slap on the wrist.....sit tight while I ran your DL.
Mind you I'm pulling a UTV with a feeder strapped down to the bed on it.

Out of the passenger side on the troopers car out steps a game warden. He asks me how my hunt went and how many birds I shot..,lots of questions about the feeder. He wanted to see the birds I shot. I had all the breasts neatly placed in ziplocks and frozen.
He really liked that and thanked me for it. He counted the breasts in twos and sent me on my way.

They defiantly profiled me and pulled me over really just to check me. He was going to check my guns but when he saw the breasts stored so clean he just stopped asking questions and sent me along.

I think if you make it easy on them to check you and stay calm and easy it goes much better.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide