Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Gun stores to start closing #6856953 08/15/17 12:51 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
B
This just my opinion which is worth what its worth.

I see gun sales dropping like crazy. Everyone who wants one, pretty much has what the need. The political climate has calmed down, at least the second amendment argument.

I have been in several "Mom and Pop stores lately, they are pretty much empty and what they do have is way over priced. The BIG guys like Buds, Whittaker's, Europtics, etc. are talking this over as there is usually free shipping and no tax.

Look for some GREAT deals ahead

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Gun stores to start closing [Re: Buzzsaw] #6857007 08/15/17 01:43 PM
T
TFF Caribou Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
A mom and pop store with great prices would be super busy still today. The problem is, the ones I go into are often 10-20% higher than academy or even cabelas. I'll spend 1-2% more on some items to support local business, but not 20%

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference. -George Washington
Re: Gun stores to start closing [Re: Buzzsaw] #6857018 08/15/17 01:51 PM
A
aggiehunter03 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
A
Me too. I will support local but not at a 20% higher cost. Buzz, do you know where I can find a smoking deal on a SBE2?

Re: Gun stores to start closing [Re: Buzzsaw] #6857039 08/15/17 02:02 PM
S
spg Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
The Academy's and other big name stores get a way better deal than us small business mom&pop shops. Obviously I can't risk buying hundreds of thousands of guns or other merchandise. Therefore the big stores get them much cheaper than me and at the end of the day I have to make a profit which is less than what the big stores are profiting . If you don't mind having some college kid that knows nothing about what your buying help you make a choice on what to buy, go to Academy or some other big store. If you want to buy a gun and have it set up properly, learn the functionality of it, or get it fixed and cleaned properly go to your local mom and pop shop.

Re: Gun stores to start closing [Re: spg] #6857047 08/15/17 02:04 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
And lots of people use that shop for that very thing, everyrhing except for the purchase of the actual firearm. Go to the shop, get some advice, leave, go to a big store to buy it (or order it online) come back for help with it.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Gun stores to start closing [Re: Buzzsaw] #6857052 08/15/17 02:07 PM
J
jhenderson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Just think about all the mom and pop joints that have shown up in the last 4-5 years. They can't rely on that to stay afloat in these times. If they are good and competitive or give some sort of a reason to do business there that's one thing but most don't. They are super over priced. My brother went to a gun show Sunday and one of "these" guys was selling stripper Anderson lowers for $150 each and spikes Jack lower for $400. His excuse was they are hard to get. I bet I could go buy 50 lowers today if I wanted to without much issue.

Re: Gun stores to start closing [Re: Buzzsaw] #6857053 08/15/17 02:09 PM
J
jhenderson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Even academy has gone up it seems. Still cheapest box store but hard to spend an extra 50-100 sometimes if I can wait a week or two to ship in.

Re: Gun stores to start closing [Re: spg] #6857068 08/15/17 02:18 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: spg
The Academy's and other big name stores get a way better deal than us small business mom&pop shops. Obviously I can't risk buying hundreds of thousands of guns or other merchandise. Therefore the big stores get them much cheaper than me and at the end of the day I have to make a profit which is less than what the big stores are profiting . If you don't mind having some college kid that knows nothing about what your buying help you make a choice on what to buy, go to Academy or some other big store. If you want to buy a gun and have it set up properly, learn the functionality of it, or get it fixed and cleaned properly go to your local mom and pop shop.

^^^ This. And often times the smaller stores can provide a better "service" than Academy's and such. You can often times find more specialized products at the smaller stores.

I'm an FFL, and I have seen some firearms selling for less than my FFL dealer pricing. It's part of the volume business. But there are many people who need the small service touch and assistance.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Gun stores to start closing [Re: aggiehunter03] #6857079 08/15/17 02:23 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted By: aggiehunter03
Me too. I will support local but not at a 20% higher cost. Buzz, do you know where I can find a smoking deal on a SBE2?

bang

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Gun stores to start closing [Re: Buzzsaw] #6857108 08/15/17 02:46 PM
D
Dien Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Too often mom and pop stores will have a punk kid or a know nothing salesman also. Lots won't do anything to really help you. Go to manufacturer for warranty.

I do have my favorite ones and will overpay once in a while. But shape up or close down.

Also, in any industry people say oh the big names get better deals. Not so in my last one. If it's that big of a problem then band together. And I've gotten excellent pricing on guns from small FFLs. Better then online.

Re: Gun stores to start closing [Re: spg] #6857132 08/15/17 03:01 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q

That's kind of rich. I went to the largest LGS here a while back to look at weapons, and they pretty much had college kids and people I wouldn't trust with a rubber-band gun running the gun counters. I got swept by the guy that was helping me twice, and he swept several other patrons as well. On top of that the owner smokes, and you walk into a cloud of cigarette smoke any time you go there. I looked at a nice USED RRA, and they offered to discount it from the price marked to only $200 more than I could buy a new one from at many other places.

I won't begrudge any man a profit and I fully understand the service aspect, the bulk argument, and the hard-to-find side. I once paid $66 for a $30 part because I needed it-I was only mad at myself for getting into a bind.

I wish there was an LGS that I felt good about supporting here, but they're all operated by Bubbas. I know that's not the case at all places, but I've been to a lot of LGS and been helped by Bubbas, high-school and college kids, and people that don't know the difference between .22 LR and .22 WMRF.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Gun stores to start closing [Re: spg] #6857149 08/15/17 03:13 PM
T
TFF Caribou Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T

On average, I've gotten better service and knowledge from people at academy than a LGS. But I do my research before I go shopping.

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference. -George Washington
Re: Gun stores to start closing [Re: Buzzsaw] #6857195 08/15/17 04:05 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
I wish I had time to sit around and look at all the negative going on in this world. Buzz....you need to go back to work.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Gun stores to start closing [Re: TFF Caribou] #6857223 08/15/17 04:29 PM
A
aggiehunter03 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: Tff caribou

On average, I've gotten better service and knowledge from people at academy than a LGS. But I do my research before I go shopping.

I think you are in the minority on that. I was once recommended a 17 HMR for deer hunting. I don't even ask them for anything other than please hand me that one right there.

Re: Gun stores to start closing [Re: Buzzsaw] #6857238 08/15/17 04:40 PM
G
garyrapp55 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
It's been my experience that the LGS guy has far more knowledge that the guy at Big Box Store. My problem with LGS guys is often trying to take advantage of me if I'm unsure of something. Seems he doesn't want me to leave without making a purchase of some kind. The guy at Big Box doesn't care if I spend money or not that day or the future. I hate to be pressured. Of course, I'm sure not all places are that way.

Re: Gun stores to start closing [Re: Buzzsaw] #6857242 08/15/17 04:44 PM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
If you're expecting expert gun advice from a gun store employee then you're expectations are off base, that's what the internet is for. I do all my research online and only go into the store to actually touch and look at the item.

Re: Gun stores to start closing [Re: aggiehunter03] #6857245 08/15/17 04:45 PM
G
garyrapp55 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: aggiehunter03
I was once recommended a 17 HMR for deer hunting.

You mean I shouldn't shoot at deer with a bullet the size of a grain of rice?

Re: Gun stores to start closing [Re: garyrapp55] #6857280 08/15/17 05:05 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted By: garyrapp55
It's been my experience that the LGS guy has far more knowledge that the guy at Big Box Store. My problem with LGS guys is often trying to take advantage of me if I'm unsure of something. Seems he doesn't want me to leave without making a purchase of some kind. The guy at Big Box doesn't care if I spend money or not that day or the future. I hate to be pressured. Of course, I'm sure not all places are that way.

I can somewhat understand that, though. The likelihood a non-purchaser returns and buys is about 10-15%-they've got to sell you something when you're there or it won't happen. I'm not talking about browsers who frequently come through, though. I'm talking about genuinely interested buyers that don't pull the trigger.

As posted above, many people leave because they're headed to Academy to save 20%.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Gun stores to start closing [Re: garyrapp55] #6857282 08/15/17 05:06 PM
D
DallasShootingSupplies Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Gun stores are already folding left and right.

As others have said academy will often post sales that are under dealer price.

Volume gets you the discounts needed to compete with them.

Unless you have a niche (custom work etc), or have a good transfer business, or a manufacturer I see most stocking brick and mortar shops starving/going under for years to come. The list of shops already going out of business is staggering.

www.class3machining.com
Barrel Threading
50k+ barrels done. Zero Baffle Strikes
www.facebook.com/barrelthreading
www.instagram.com/class_3_machining/
Recommended by Silencerco, Capitol Armory, Hansohn Brothers, Gemtech, Ally Outfitters, The Firearm Blog etc
Re: Gun stores to start closing [Re: Buzzsaw] #6857525 08/15/17 08:21 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
B
Even at most LGS, the workers are SO OPINIONATED, if you don't agree with their suggestions they will treat you like an idiot. Most will tell you of their many competition wins or they are a member of Seal Team Six. Yada, Yada, Yada.

I'm a member of The Frisco Gun Club. I have stood for many minutes at one of the gun counters, have had countless employees walk by and NEVER say a word much less, "can I help you?" They are more worried about making sure EVERYONE can see they are open carrying a GUN !!!!

When I went there to pick up my Barrett transfer, there was a cute young girl at the main desk, she did the paperwork for me. I had known her from many visits. She was working at the coffee shop counter studying for school. I talked with her, didn't have a clue.

NOW she's running the front counter with a cute little glock, tucked into an appendix carry holster !!!!!! OMG, I about chit myself. Every worker there has the same "I'm a Badazz, attitude" with their open carry gun showing. I just shoot and get the he77 out of there

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Gun stores to start closing [Re: Buzzsaw] #6857573 08/15/17 08:52 PM
O
okstatefan Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
O
I hate to say it, but I have had very few good experiences at LGS. Most of the reasons have already been stated above.

Re: Gun stores to start closing [Re: Buzzsaw] #6857631 08/15/17 09:36 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
B
Props to the young kid at Rifle Gear in Plano, he is a first class young man.

I do have to say, If I were working at a gun store and have to listen to all the know it all, expert customers. I would go nuts.

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Gun stores to start closing [Re: Buzzsaw] #6857635 08/15/17 09:38 PM
O
Old Stony Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
O
I don't know how most of the people at the gun shows ever sell anything anymore. I guess they prey on the folks that don't know how much something should cost.

Re: Gun stores to start closing [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #6857757 08/15/17 11:13 PM
H
huntwest Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

That's kind of rich. I went to the largest LGS here a while back to look at weapons, and they pretty much had college kids and people I wouldn't trust with a rubber-band gun running the gun counters. I got swept by the guy that was helping me twice, and he swept several other patrons as well. On top of that the owner smokes, and you walk into a cloud of cigarette smoke any time you go there. I looked at a nice USED RRA, and they offered to discount it from the price marked to only $200 more than I could buy a new one from at many other places.

I won't begrudge any man a profit and I fully understand the service aspect, the bulk argument, and the hard-to-find side. I once paid $66 for a $30 part because I needed it-I was only mad at myself for getting into a bind.

I wish there was an LGS that I felt good about supporting here, but they're all operated by Bubbas. I know that's not the case at all places, but I've been to a lot of LGS and been helped by Bubbas, high-school and college kids, and people that don't know the difference between .22 LR and .22 WMRF.

Sharpshooters is a pretty good store. And the owner doesn't smoke or anyone else.
I can't think of another big store in Lubbock.

Re: Gun stores to start closing [Re: Buzzsaw] #6857795 08/15/17 11:45 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
local store opened up a couple years ago here, it was when the market was really hot, very small shop size wise, did really well, went out and bought a huge commercial building (bank loan) went from 3-4 employees to 1

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide