Forums46
Topics536,994
Posts9,719,259
Members86,987
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Why the AR is good?..... Opinions don't mean much. Facts on the other hand.. #6846075 08/05/17 10:26 AM
A
aerangis Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
A
in a nut shell.....

Intresting article and typical of his writing style which I enjoy immensly.

**Disclaimer**

I first met Randy on a Pheasant hunt in the late 70's and I've had a heck of a lot of respct for the man ever sine, particular his no-nonsense approach to honesty in an industry rife with paid infomercials and "reviews" clevery disguided as a blog or magazine article. When it comes to firearms, marketing is king. There's occcaisional nuggets of gold, though too much is fools gold. There's WAY junk sold with premium branding. SBE3 is the latest on my list of "WTF was I thinking".

Randy doesn't pump sunshine..... you can take his advice to the bank. All the years I've know him, he's been spot on. And shot darn near every firearm in the huntin and clay market that I'm aware of. He aint no internet expert for damn sure. And is websire is a goldmine of information. He knws more abot shotguns and shotgun ammo than the factory reps I know from being a long time attendee of SHOT.

www.randywakeman.com

A sample...

The Attack on the Second Amendment Continues

Although the Supreme Court made clear that the 2nd Amendment is an individual right, not a privilege and not a collective right, some states (recently, Maryland) and some Federal appeals courts still cannot comprehend it. The 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled 10-4 to uphold the state's (Maryland) ban on assault weapons Tuesday, overturning the ruling of a three-judge panel that had ruled against it a year ago.

The United States Army, the largest branch of the U.S. Military, in 2015, dropped below 500,000 active soldiers for the first time in 10 years. Semi-automatic rifles are not by the United States in war. The M4 has been in service since 1994. The M4 is capable of firing in semi-automatic and three round burst modes (like the M16A2 and M16A4), while the M4A1 is capable of firing in semi-auto and fully automatic modes (like the M16A1 and M16A3). To be an assault rifle, the firearm must have selective fire: full auto or a burst mode. The Supreme Court held in McDonald v. City of Chicago that the Second Amendment applies to state and local governments in addition to the federal government.

The right does not extend to machine guns: it protects arms in common use, not phasers or photon torpedoes. In what is also obvious, the Right to Keep and Bear Arms is a right to arms that can be carried (“bear”) by an individual, not arms that require teams or squads to operate.

What is obvious to anyone that can possibly detect the obvious is that the Armalite rifle is a civilian semi-automatic rifle in common use: very, very, common as dirt use. Right now, over 5,000,000 AR-15's are owned by United States civilians.

United States citizens own over 10 times the amount of Armalite rifles today than we so much as have active soldiers in the Regular Army. They are used for hunting, target practice, and self-defense. Civilian police officers use AR-15 rifles more than any other rifle, for the defense of self and others. That's precisely how many of the 5 million Armalite rifles are used: for the lawful defense of self and others. For from being “assault rifles” or weapons of war, the opposite is true. They are anti-assault rifles owned and used almost entirely by civilians in the United States.

The Armalite semi-automatic rifle can be the ideal home defense arm, easy to use for women, senior citizens, and most everyone: with moderate recoil, and far greater accuracy than possible from a handgun. It is a far better threat deterrent than any handgun or shotgun, and is simply a better tool for the legal defense of self and others than most platforms. The persons who have the most need for 30 round magazines are those who would have great difficulty changing a magazine — such as elderly persons or persons with disabilities. Although one can change magazines, persons being attacked by criminals will typically prefer not to spend any time under immediate, inescapable threat of hearth, home, and life to do so.

In 2014, according to the FBI, 660 murders were committed unarmed, 1,567 were committed with knives and only 248 murders were known to have been committed using rifles of any type.

The role of government is to protect Constitutional Rights, not to steal them.

Copyright 2017 by Randy Wakeman. All Rights Reserved.

**** Randy is all about facts and empirical data, not hyperbole, rumor, or payoffs. Visit his website, you'll be a he11 of a lt smorter for it and you'll be glad you did****

Last edited by aerangis; 08/05/17 10:31 AM.
Re: Why the AR is good?..... Opinions don't mean much. Facts on the other hand.. [Re: aerangis] #6846123 08/05/17 12:41 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I have nothing against ARs and they clearly fall under 2nd Amendment protections. A semi-auto is a semi-auto is a semi-auto - no matter its appearance. Folks should have the right to own them for whatever reason they want to own them - just because they want one. No need to have a reason. I own one just because I like to shoot it every now and again.

That said, whether they are the best self defense weapon - better than a handgun or shotgun- is a subject for debate. A debate that is 1)not really necessary to justify why ARs should remain legal and 2)leads to what I consider to be largely unnecessary stuff like arguing "elderly people need them and 30 round magazines because they have a hard time changing magazines". That's kinda silly. In fact, it sounds a lot like the "hyperbole" Randy says others engage in (which they do, of course). No need to be on their level.

I would venture to say 99+% of the self defense weapon owners (young and old alike) don't use or feel the need to have ARs with 30 round magazines for that purpose.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Why the AR is good?..... Opinions don't mean much. Facts on the other hand.. [Re: aerangis] #6846181 08/05/17 02:00 PM
BassCat'99 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
These are both good and valid statements, need a 30rd mag..eh..I trimmed mine down to 6. Only cuz they are cerakoted to match the rifles. What I really use is the 10rd. If you can't hit it with 10 maybe you should go back to a single shot and learn. Besides the 10rd is much more compact and easy to use. Now as to the "semi-auto" what about the Rem 7600 and others? It all boils down to a political agenda buy the #^**% left. Enough rant, sorry.

22 Creedmoor
Re: Why the AR is good?..... Opinions don't mean much. Facts on the other hand.. [Re: aerangis] #6846217 08/05/17 02:31 PM
M
Marc K Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
M
Yes, of course opinions vary on the subject, and I don't engage in debates about the "best" of anything. Far too many circumstances with countless variables. Your 99+% number may be statistically correct because "most people" live in high density population areas.

Self defense is a broad term but AR's are a typical "go to" self defense weapon around here. Grabbing a standard capacity AR on the way out the door to investigate an intruder is typical in my area. Perhaps that does fall within the only 1% nationwide, but clearly not in my narrow field of view - which is the only thing that I am interested in.

What 99% of people choose, carries no weight in determining the value of a tool.

Respectfully,
Marc

Marc

A Democracy is when two wolves and a lamb vote on the dinner menu. That is why this country was specifically not designed as a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.
Re: Why the AR is good?..... Opinions don't mean much. Facts on the other hand.. [Re: aerangis] #6846228 08/05/17 02:41 PM
K
Kevin1 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
K
Not sure I'd like to fire a standard AR inside the house. A suppressed SBR would be more appealing.

Re: Why the AR is good?..... Opinions don't mean much. Facts on the other hand.. [Re: Kevin1] #6846238 08/05/17 02:54 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: Kevin1
Not sure I'd like to fire a standard AR inside the house. A suppressed SBR would be more appealing.

No worse than a 12 gage.....if I have the need to fire a firearm inside the house.....noise would be way down the list of my concerns......

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Why the AR is good?..... Opinions don't mean much. Facts on the other hand.. [Re: aerangis] #6846249 08/05/17 03:10 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
30 round mag in the AR-15 and 20 round mag in the AR-10 really only get "used" for one thing in my activities. And that is lined up on an entire sounder of hogs. I will keep shooting until they've all died or disappeared into the brush.

There's also the miniscule chance of a hoard of crazy people to "deal with". My bet is, in my life that won't happen to me, but if it does, I'm prepared.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Why the AR is good?..... Opinions don't mean much. Facts on the other hand.. [Re: SnakeWrangler] #6846263 08/05/17 03:26 PM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler

No worse than a 12 gage.....if I have the need to fire a firearm inside the house.....noise would be way down the list of my concerns......

You are absolutely correct... Just like recoil under duress. Later on you might say "WTF was I thinking" but at that moment you pull the trigger it is tunnel vision.

The Greatest Enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge.--Stephen Hawking
Re: Why the AR is good?..... Opinions don't mean much. Facts on the other hand.. [Re: aerangis] #6846264 08/05/17 03:29 PM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Does anyone make a 100 round mag for the AR-15? Go big or stay home.

Re: Why the AR is good?..... Opinions don't mean much. Facts on the other hand.. [Re: aerangis] #6846333 08/05/17 04:31 PM
P
Palehorse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
I don't own an AR personally, but I have to admit that they are fun to shoot. Just about every one of my shooting buddies own one or two so I just shoot thiers.
There is a fella that I work with who is from India. He loves to argue to anyone that will engage him that no one "needs" an AR. I tell him that no one "needs" to justify to you why they need an AR. If it is legally owned, and safely used, it's none of his damn business. If he has a problem with that, there are planes that leave every day and he's welcome to jump on one. He doesn't like that response.

Last edited by Palehorse; 08/05/17 04:32 PM.
Re: Why the AR is good?..... Opinions don't mean much. Facts on the other hand.. [Re: Palehorse] #6846396 08/05/17 05:53 PM
The Dude Abides Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: Palehorse
I don't own an AR personally, but I have to admit that they are fun to shoot. Just about every one of my shooting buddies own one or two so I just shoot thiers.
There is a fella that I work with who is from India. He loves to argue to anyone that will engage him that no one "needs" an AR. I tell him that no one "needs" to justify to you why they need an AR. If it is legally owned, and safely used, it's none of his damn business. If he has a problem with that, there are planes that leave every day and he's welcome to jump on one. He doesn't like that response.

I had a guy like that at work too...I fired him!

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: Why the AR is good?..... Opinions don't mean much. Facts on the other hand.. [Re: The Dude Abides] #6846407 08/05/17 06:01 PM
S
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: TXGUNNER308

I had a guy like that at work too...I fired him!
clap cheers

Re: Why the AR is good?..... Opinions don't mean much. Facts on the other hand.. [Re: blackcoal] #6846492 08/05/17 08:03 PM
Payne Offline
Cat Herder
Cat Herder
Originally Posted By: blackcoal

get some

http://www.surefire.com/mag5-100.html

[Linked Image]
Re: Why the AR is good?..... Opinions don't mean much. Facts on the other hand.. [Re: Payne] #6846534 08/05/17 08:57 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: Payne

get some

Oh yea, they work great but a pain to load.

I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: Why the AR is good?..... Opinions don't mean much. Facts on the other hand.. [Re: aerangis] #6846538 08/05/17 09:02 PM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
randy wakeman is a know it all who hangs out on the shotgun forum, trolls and argues with whoever doesn't kiss his azz and bow down to his self proclaimed greatness..

there is not a damn thing wrong with the SBE III

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Why the AR is good?..... Opinions don't mean much. Facts on the other hand.. [Re: The Dude Abides] #6846539 08/05/17 09:03 PM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: TXGUNNER308

get some

Thanks, sounds like what everyone should have but I'm having trouble justifying that price...

Re: Why the AR is good?..... Opinions don't mean much. Facts on the other hand.. [Re: aerangis] #6846574 08/05/17 09:35 PM
Payne Offline
Cat Herder
Cat Herder
How can you put a price on freedom?

[Linked Image]
Re: Why the AR is good?..... Opinions don't mean much. Facts on the other hand.. [Re: Payne] #6846593 08/05/17 09:44 PM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
How can you put a price on freedom?

Thinking about 30 rounders at $10-12 each and friction tape, then practicing quick flip-flops. I'm not a big money man like most of the THF members, can't afford to join clubs and lease 15,000 acre ranches. I can't afford a microwave so I am not going to buy a feeder and corn for a deer. I have to actually hunt. Maybe some day???

Re: Why the AR is good?..... Opinions don't mean much. Facts on the other hand.. [Re: aerangis] #6846636 08/05/17 10:43 PM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
You dang sure don't need more than a 30 (28) round magazine.. Brownells is having a magazine sale now, just buy a bunch of P mags,

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Why the AR is good?..... Opinions don't mean much. Facts on the other hand.. [Re: Palehorse] #6846866 08/06/17 02:12 AM
K
Kevin1 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
K

Why would anyone engage a guy from India about Ars?

Re: Why the AR is good?..... Opinions don't mean much. Facts on the other hand.. [Re: The Dude Abides] #6847018 08/06/17 07:40 AM
T
Toxarch Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted by TXGUNNER308
Originally Posted by Payne
Originally Posted by blackcoal

get some

Caldwell AR Mag Charger. $56 on Midway.

It is far more important to be able to hit the target than it is to haggle over who makes a weapon or who pulls a trigger.

� Dwight D. Eisenhower
Re: Why the AR is good?..... Opinions don't mean much. Facts on the other hand.. [Re: Toxarch] #6847089 08/06/17 01:25 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Toxarch
Originally Posted by TXGUNNER308
Originally Posted by Payne
Originally Posted by blackcoal

get some

Caldwell AR Mag Charger. $56 on Midway.

Now only if ammo came in boxes with bullet heads pointing up.

Re: Why the AR is good?..... Opinions don't mean much. Facts on the other hand.. [Re: Kevin1] #6847097 08/06/17 01:34 PM
P
poisonivie Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P

Cause 'Murica"!

Pee on Photobucket
Re: Why the AR is good?..... Opinions don't mean much. Facts on the other hand.. [Re: poisonivie] #6847987 08/07/17 12:02 PM
S
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: poisonivie

Cause 'Murica"!

Yup....don'tcha just luv it when folks from other places try to tell us what we "need" or "don't need"..... rofl

Re: Why the AR is good?..... Opinions don't mean much. Facts on the other hand.. [Re: aerangis] #6847988 08/07/17 12:03 PM
bigbob_ftw Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
"Need" should never enter into the 2nd amendment debate. Liberals love that word.

[Linked Image]

Ultra MAGA '24.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide