Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Hog doggers strike again #6777843 05/29/17 07:15 PM
W
webb1974 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
W
I always said I wouldn't lump everyone in one group but as far as I'm concerned there are no good once left. I thought I was done with this problem.
History behind this is I had to refund a group of hunters because of hog doggers and the guy actually told me he would go anywhere his dogs did and didn't care that I had to refund money his dogs were worth more than that. Anyways that old news no problem for a couple years.
Fast forward until this morning when I was informed by a group that they can legally enter my property as long as they try to contact me first and that if I don't answer they can enter my property and if I do answer I can't deny them access.
Bad part is I was always one to allow it outside of deer season but I'm done with all of them.

Re: Hog doggers strike again [Re: webb1974] #6777848 05/29/17 07:23 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
If you had to refund money based on the dogs, you have demonstrable damages. Sue them.

Re: Hog doggers strike again [Re: webb1974] #6777858 05/29/17 07:34 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
And honestly. Until someone enforces the law on them, they'll keep doing it. You need to be ready to get the Sherriff's office out next time. Don't shoot the dogs, don't argue with them, corral the dogs and hold them until LE gets there. "I had to follow my dog" is absolutely not a free pass to trespass, but you have to take the next step, and don't be careless in doing so.

Re: Hog doggers strike again [Re: webb1974] #6777862 05/29/17 07:36 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
These days most people simply don't respect others properly.... They feel they have every right to trample all over your rights....sad!

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Hog doggers strike again [Re: webb1974] #6777880 05/29/17 08:03 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I have had my fill of them. I hate to "lump" too - but "lumping" is justified with the vast majority of hog doggers.

They pretty much live by the saying that they'd rather ask forgiveness than permission. Sounds like yours won't even do that.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Hog doggers strike again [Re: cameron00] #6777882 05/29/17 08:07 PM
W
webb1974 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
W
Yep. I didn't even argue with him because he new he was right. Unfortunately I found out after he had already done it but the call was just a courteous call and he was gonna go anyways. I will prosecute to the fullest if caught

Re: Hog doggers strike again [Re: webb1974] #6777901 05/29/17 08:33 PM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
I'm going to ask knowing the answer but what part of the state is this?

Re: Hog doggers strike again [Re: webb1974] #6777909 05/29/17 08:48 PM
W
webb1974 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
W
Palo pinto county

Re: Hog doggers strike again [Re: webb1974] #6777934 05/29/17 09:17 PM
B
bigjoe8565 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Not sure I understand why he can enter your property (I'm assuming you own) without your permission. Help me understand how the guy can do this, and it not be considered trespassing.

Re: Hog doggers strike again [Re: webb1974] #6777953 05/29/17 09:32 PM
W
webb1974 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
W
He can't legally but "they" seem to think the law allows them to to retrieve their dogs. Some of the guys just don't care but some really think the law is on their side and they can enter the property. This has happened on property that I own and slso property that I lease the landowner of the property that I lease gave the guys my number and said to contact me. They were very respectful and apologetic and I helped them get their dogs. There's just way more of the bad guys.

Re: Hog doggers strike again [Re: webb1974] #6777962 05/29/17 09:40 PM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
I've had experiences with that type unfortunately.

So I won't even start on Hog Doggers. NONE are welcome on my property anymore.

I know that ALL of them are not that way, but MOST of them (where I live) ARE!

Their mindset is absolutely crazy.

http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/6470814/1

Last edited by flintknapper; 05/30/17 04:34 AM.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Hog doggers strike again [Re: webb1974] #6777995 05/29/17 10:21 PM
O
Old Stony Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
O
I was sitting in a stand waiting for hogs one night, and had a hog dog come in under the feeder. No doubt what he was doing as he had a protective collar covering his neck. It was friendly and I got it by the collar. I saw some lights back in the woods, and hollered at the guys that I had their dog, but couldn't get them to come out. I finally let the dog go as I couldn't exactly blame it.

Re: Hog doggers strike again [Re: webb1974] #6778127 05/30/17 01:08 AM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Do hog doggers really think it is a defense to prosecution if they are getting their dogs? That's ridiculous. The trespass law is a pretty easy read.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Hog doggers strike again [Re: webb1974] #6778136 05/30/17 01:19 AM
S
spg Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Boy Boy, I had the same problem years back when I hunted in Mississippi.....done with those people and the state. Just no respect or ethics. Thank God for Texas.

Re: Hog doggers strike again [Re: webb1974] #6778663 05/30/17 04:51 PM
T
TexOddball Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
Is there some law, or legal precedent that I've missed? An unwelcome dog running loose is a dead dog. I'm puzzled by the notion that this simple practice is suddenly invalid.

Re: Hog doggers strike again [Re: webb1974] #6778713 05/30/17 05:55 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
The practice isn't suddenly invalid. It is illegal to shoot stray dogs without owner consent...

Quote:
Shooting “stray” Dogs and Cats (Penal Code 42.09 Animal Cruelty). Any person who shoots a non-livestock animal, which includes any stray or feral cat or dog, and a wild living creature previously captured, can be charged with a felony offense. Penal Code 42.092 of the State of Texas law states that a person must have the owner’s consent to kill the animal (exceptions to prosecution are provided in Section 42.092(e)(1)). It is clear that a “stray” dog or cat either has no owner or that the person who shoots the animal did not get the owner’s consent.

Just to hammer home the point, this can be a FELONY offense.

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; 05/30/17 05:56 PM.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Hog doggers strike again [Re: webb1974] #6778724 05/30/17 06:04 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I don't like dog killing threads.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: Hog doggers strike again [Re: webb1974] #6778752 05/30/17 06:32 PM
D
der Teufel Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
D
Regulations vary from area to area, and county to county, but where I hunt the county has posted signs that read "Fine for Dogs Running Loose $500".

Not that I plan to shoot anyone's dogs, but I'll admit I've been tempted on occasion.

Haven't had problems in past couple of years, but most of the neighboring properties now have "No Trespassing" signs because the guys running dogs kept coming through. They've cut fences (and repaired them) and taken gates off of hinges. They replaced some of the hinges upside down to make it easier to get back through, which reminds me I need to bring some tools out so I can turn the hinges around to prevent cattle from knocking the gates off.

I have two unwritten rules:
Re: Hog doggers strike again [Re: Double Naught Spy] #6778756 05/30/17 06:36 PM
D
der Teufel Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
The practice isn't suddenly invalid. It is illegal to shoot stray dogs without owner consent...

Quote:
Shooting “stray” Dogs and Cats (Penal Code 42.09 Animal Cruelty). Any person who shoots a non-livestock animal, which includes any stray or feral cat or dog, and a wild living creature previously captured, can be charged with a felony offense. Penal Code 42.092 of the State of Texas law states that a person must have the owner’s consent to kill the animal (exceptions to prosecution are provided in Section 42.092(e)(1)). It is clear that a “stray” dog or cat either has no owner or that the person who shoots the animal did not get the owner’s consent.

OTOH, the property I hunt is changing its' tax status from Agriculture to Wildlife Management. Part of the paperwork we had to submit list Feral Cats as a species to be controlled. We talked about this specifically with the wildlife biologist and were advised to shoot feral cats on sight.

Not an expert by any means, but if a feral animal is on your property, might you be considered the owner? I think that's how it works with feral hogs. The state does not claim them.

I have two unwritten rules:
Re: Hog doggers strike again [Re: Cast] #6778821 05/30/17 07:34 PM
W
webb1974 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
W
Originally Posted By: Cast
I don't like dog killing threads.

This was definitely not intended to be about the dog but about the ignorant.

Re: Hog doggers strike again [Re: der Teufel] #6778829 05/30/17 07:48 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: der Teufel

Quote:

OTOH, the property I hunt is changing its' tax status from Agriculture to Wildlife Management. Part of the paperwork we had to submit list Feral Cats as a species to be controlled. We talked about this specifically with the wildlife biologist and were advised to shoot feral cats on sight.

Not an expert by any means, but if a feral animal is on your property, might you be considered the owner? I think that's how it works with feral hogs. The state does not claim them.

Your wildlife biologist may have have told you to do something that is expressly against the law. He won't face possible charges if you do the shooting. You will. Consider consulting your attorney before engaging in such acts.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Hog doggers strike again [Re: Double Naught Spy] #6778852 05/30/17 08:10 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
The animal cruelty law has some subjectivity in the defense to prosecution in the subsection related to wildlife management, killing of livestock and depredation control. The trespass law is clear. No defense mentioned for retrieving a dog. Simply put, I'd rather explain to a game warden why I shot a cat than what I'm doing on someone else's property without permission.

Quote:

Your wildlife biologist may have have told you to do something that is expressly against the law. He won't face possible charges if you do the shooting. You will. Consider consulting your attorney before engaging in such acts.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Hog doggers strike again [Re: der Teufel] #6778855 05/30/17 08:13 PM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F

Quote:

'Feral' has nothing to do with it. Feral Hogs were reclassified as 'Exotic Livestock' some years back. By doing so...they belong (are owned) by the land owner on who's property they exist (with certain provisions). This absolves the State of any responsibility or ownership.

Feral Dogs, Cats...etc must be dispatched under the various depredation or health laws.

Re: Hog doggers strike again [Re: Double Naught Spy] #6778856 05/30/17 08:17 PM
T
TexOddball Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
I can copy/paste too;

"(e) It is a defense to prosecution under Subsection (b)(2) or (6) that:
1) the animal was discovered on the person's property in the act of or after injuring or killing the person's livestock animals or damaging the person's crops and that the person killed or injured the animal at the time of this discovery; "

"(f) It is an exception to the application of this section that the conduct engaged in by the actor is a generally accepted and otherwise lawful:
(B) wildlife management, wildlife or depredation control, or shooting preserve practices as regulated by state and federal law"

You have a defense to prosecution if the dog was injuring livestock or harassing wildlife.

Re: Hog doggers strike again [Re: TexOddball] #6778884 05/30/17 08:50 PM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted By: TexOddball
I can copy/paste too;

You have a defense to prosecution if the dog was injuring livestock or harassing wildlife.

Yes, it has already been stated at least twice in previous posts.

The subject however is the indiscriminate killing of dogs that are simply on the property. The law is clear about that and 'case law' exists to support it. I don't recommend it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide