Print Thread
capsule feeder #6741857 04/21/17 03:08 PM
K
KingwoodCat Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
K
Took delivery of my new 250 lb capacity capsule feeder a couple of days ago. I love the feeder because it sets in a truck tire for a base and is ground loadable.
Check out capsulefeeders.com
The feeder itself is great, but the Quality Control at the manufacturer leaves something to be desired.
The principle behind the feeder is that an auger feeds the corn from the capsule bottom up into the spinner for distribution via auger. The problem I had was that the hole in the dome was a full 1/8th inch too small for the auger tube to fit in the hole. Had to ream the hole to get the tube which the auger fits in, that much. I called the manufacturer who said ( I talked to the President of the company) that the feeder was assembled at the manufacturer and that should not happen. I had to call BS on that because the tube did not and would not fit. He said to ream the hole with a drill bit. Did that and finally got the tube in. The tube is PVC pipe with a larger PVC collar glued to the top with a rubber sleeve over it to provide a water tight seal. Got the tube installed and everything put together only to find the spinner would not spin to distribute the corn. Called the manufacturer again. They were going to trouble shoot in the factory and call me back. As of yet they still have not called. Disassembled everything and trouble shot myself. Realized the collar needed to fit further into the dome. Noticed there was a slight imperfection in the seam of the collar where a little PVC tit had been deposited during the molding process. Trimmed the excess with an exacto knife and the collar fit perfectly. Reassembled everything and tested the feeder works like a charm! Still P.O.d at the manufacturer. Had they assembled the feeder at the factory like they said they did, they would have discovered everything I discovered. That said, I ordered the feeder on Friday Afternoon, they shipped it on Monday, and I got it Wednesday afternoon. I love the feeder itself. Having retired last year after working 40 years in he Quality Profession, I was extremely duisapponted in the Quality Control applied or rather not applied, and the company's customer service for failing to contact me about the second problem.

The Federal Government cannot give anything to anyone, that it has not first taken from someone else.
Re: capsule feeder [Re: KingwoodCat] #6741890 04/21/17 03:41 PM
R
rickym Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
While I have no idea of the price point, I can only imagine its a pretty penny to spend to have to rework/rebuild the feeder for them. Also with all of the plastic/poly, hopefully you dont have condensation issues, and end up with a clogged feeder. Will be interested in your one year report.

Re: capsule feeder [Re: rickym] #6742313 04/21/17 10:42 PM
K
KingwoodCat Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
K
Originally Posted By: rickym
While I have no idea of the price point, I can only imagine its a pretty penny to spend to have to rework/rebuild the feeder for them. Also with all of the plastic/poly, hopefully you dont have condensation issues, and end up with a clogged feeder. Will be interested in your one year report.

The owner of the company did call me back this morning. We discussed the quality issues and he said he was going to look into it. The reviews on the net indicate customers are overwhelmingly satisfied. Time will tell. But like most products you order on line, some assembly is required. This is a much better product than the one it's replacing.

The Federal Government cannot give anything to anyone, that it has not first taken from someone else.
Re: capsule feeder [Re: KingwoodCat] #6743492 04/23/17 09:30 AM
B
bphillips Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
If you have pigs stake it down they will flip them and can still open them or at least mine can. Haven't had condensation issue but rodents and pigs do chew them a bit

[Linked Image]
Re: capsule feeder [Re: KingwoodCat] #6744092 04/24/17 01:16 AM
D
DUKFVR Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
D
Had an issue with one of mine when I bought it & the former owner was great on getting it fixed. I believe they sold the company,so can't comment on new owners,but I know customer service was great when I needed it.

Re: capsule feeder [Re: rickym] #6745169 04/25/17 11:14 AM
TX_LT230FH Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter

I can give you a 4-year report on mine. I bought the 1000 pound version. It's been almost completely trouble-free the entire time, with the exception of a couple of small issues. One, the snap pins that hold the auger shaft to the motor unit can fail over time. I found a heavier gauge snap ring and use 2 instead of one and solved that problem. Two, the pvc tube that encases the auger extends down into a hole in the base of the unit as it comes from the factory. Corn dust would build up in the hole and pack off the pipe to where it wouldn't lift anymore. After talking to the factory rep a couple of years ago, that problem was solved by removing the pipe and cutting off about an inch and a half so that the pipe end rests slightly above the recessed hole. I also built a screen funnel out of hardware cloth and screen wire and pour the corn in through the screen, this really helped eliminate dust.
They are pricy but the feeder is the most waste-free I've ever owned. As someone said, the squirrels will occasionally try and chew on the lid and I had to replace the spinner unit with a metal one also. But I have zero regrets about spending the money on it as it saves an incredible amount of corn from varmints and waste.

[Linked Image]
Re: capsule feeder [Re: KingwoodCat] #6745188 04/25/17 11:42 AM
shotgunag Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
You should look at the Cannon Feeder. NO SPINNER.....The Cannon Feeder is a 650 lb pneumatic game and aquatic feeder. You fill it from the ground and it is hog and coon proof. The Cannon Feeder pricing starts at $1,699 and goes down with volume purchases. Customers are buying the Cannon Feeder because you can fill it up the first week of Sept when you go to dove hunt. Shoot 2 lbs in the morning and 2 lbs in the afternoon and go check your feeder in mid February. In mid February you fill the Cannon Feeder back up and feed once a day durning the offseason and your Cannon Feeder will feed until Sept.... I fill my Cannon Feeder 2 times per year. Never have to shoot around your feeder... no mud hole under your feeder... Hours of travel time and a great deal of money saved each year running out to fill up your spinner feeder... Look at the youtube vide that is attached and contact me if you have any questions. We are adding an extension as an option that will make the Cannon Feeder a 1,200 lb feeder for a very minimal price..

www.cannonfeeder.com luke@cannonfeeder.com (214) 789-9900 Thank you...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3A2oCPKpqc

Re: capsule feeder [Re: KingwoodCat] #6746374 04/26/17 01:34 PM
W
WTN Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W

Re: capsule feeder [Re: KingwoodCat] #6749974 04/30/17 01:26 AM
K
KingwoodCat Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
K
It's been working like a charm ever since I got it up and running a couple of weeks ago. Now if I can just get mamma to understand just because the corn is all being eaten, does not mean we have to put more corn out.

Re: capsule feeder [Re: bphillips] #6749978 04/30/17 01:30 AM
K
KingwoodCat Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
K
Originally Posted By: bphillips
If you have pigs stake it down they will flip them and can still open them or at least mine can. Haven't had condensation issue but rodents and pigs do chew them a bit

It's mounted in a 24" 18 Wheeler tire, screwed into the sidewall. Fully loaded with 200+ lbs of corn, I would think it takes a Hogzilla to flip it.

Re: capsule feeder [Re: TX_LT230FH] #6751188 05/01/17 04:26 PM
4Weight Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: TX_LT230FH

I can give you a 4-year report on mine. I bought the 1000 pound version. It's been almost completely trouble-free the entire time, with the exception of a couple of small issues. One, the snap pins that hold the auger shaft to the motor unit can fail over time. I found a heavier gauge snap ring and use 2 instead of one and solved that problem. Two, the pvc tube that encases the auger extends down into a hole in the base of the unit as it comes from the factory. Corn dust would build up in the hole and pack off the pipe to where it wouldn't lift anymore. After talking to the factory rep a couple of years ago, that problem was solved by removing the pipe and cutting off about an inch and a half so that the pipe end rests slightly above the recessed hole. I also built a screen funnel out of hardware cloth and screen wire and pour the corn in through the screen, this really helped eliminate dust.
They are pricy but the feeder is the most waste-free I've ever owned. As someone said, the squirrels will occasionally try and chew on the lid and I had to replace the spinner unit with a metal one also. But I have zero regrets about spending the money on it as it saves an incredible amount of corn from varmints and waste.

I have 3 of them and my 500 pounders are now having the same issue with the dust build up. Going to cut the PVC like you did. Can you post a pic of that funnel please? That would be great. I can't picture what you did.

Thanks,

4W

Re: capsule feeder [Re: KingwoodCat] #6751405 05/01/17 08:40 PM
TX_LT230FH Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
OK when I get there this weekend I'll post a pic of it in action.

[Linked Image]
Re: capsule feeder [Re: TX_LT230FH] #6751488 05/01/17 09:47 PM
4Weight Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker

Awesome thank you !

Re: capsule feeder [Re: 4Weight] #6757385 05/08/17 11:22 AM
TX_LT230FH Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: 4Weight

Awesome thank you !

The metal spinner plate was added after the squirrels annihilated the plastic one. They would crawl inside the cage and chew on it.

Made the funnel to see if I could limit the dust going in.

It's just finer hardware cloth mesh inside 1" square hardware cloth.

[Linked Image]
Re: capsule feeder [Re: TX_LT230FH] #6757388 05/08/17 11:27 AM
TX_LT230FH Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Continued-
The 1" cloth catches on the internal protrusions to help hold the funnel in place while pouring the corn in.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

What falls out. Since I've started using the funnel, no clogs.
[Linked Image]

Action shot.

[Linked Image]
Re: capsule feeder [Re: KingwoodCat] #6757789 05/08/17 06:35 PM
4Weight Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Thanks for posting my friend !!

Re: capsule feeder [Re: KingwoodCat] #7227640 07/18/18 12:59 AM
M
mow Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
hmmm not 200$ anymore!

Re: capsule feeder [Re: KingwoodCat] #7228940 07/19/18 02:02 AM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I bought a stand and fill from Ramball. Other than a bad The Timer, no problems and hogs haven't bothered it yet.

LETS GO BRANDON
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide