Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Books!! [Re: BrianCook_RanchSales] #6709806 03/20/17 11:21 AM
R
redhaze Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
R
What an interesting thread, am now reading T. Fehrenbach's Lone Star book now.

Re: Books!! [Re: BrianCook_RanchSales] #6710126 03/20/17 04:43 PM
S
Son of a Blitch Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
The King Ranch by Tom Lea was an incredible read, albeit a long one.
Observing and Evaluating Whitetails by Dave Richards and Al Brothers
If you arrowhead hunt, "A Field Guide to Stone Artifacts of Texas Indians"
Devil at my Heels by Louis Zamperini was a great read, but not necessarily on the topics you provided.
Dolph Briscoe: My Life in Texas Ranching and Politics
1491 by Charles Mann
any Dobie book or McMurtry book

Also...I have a publishing company: www.HaveYouThought.com that has books that are either written by, or about Native American Indians and Indigenous Elders, worldwide. I'd be happy to ship you some of them for free, if they seem interesting. We also have some audio CDs on the site as well.

George Blitch
george@mapmyranch.com
www.SonofaBlitch.com
www.MapMyRanch.com
www.YouTube.com/@sonofablitch
"Keep your aim as true as your word" - GB
Re: Books!! [Re: BrianCook_RanchSales] #6710800 03/21/17 10:09 AM
P
Preacher Ed Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P
Not being from TX, I don't know any books, but hopefully this will help you and maybe others who are not aware of this website, but if you are looking for a good deal on a certain book go to bookfinder.com . It will search multiple sites and show you the cheapest place to find a book. I have found a lot of books that I thought I would have to pay out the wazoo to get and ended up getting them rather cheaply. BTW-sounds like you are headed down the right path in your studies.

Re: Books!! [Re: Preacher Ed] #6711003 03/21/17 02:32 PM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: Preacher Ed
Not being from TX, I don't know any books, but hopefully this will help you and maybe others who are not aware of this website, but if you are looking for a good deal on a certain book go to bookfinder.com . It will search multiple sites and show you the cheapest place to find a book. I have found a lot of books that I thought I would have to pay out the wazoo to get and ended up getting them rather cheaply. BTW-sounds like you are headed down the right path in your studies.

Nice link, sir.

Re: Books!! [Re: BrianCook_RanchSales] #6712220 03/22/17 09:20 PM
M
Mr T Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
M
Dr James Kroll is a great authority, out of Stephen F. Austin. Patterning Whitetails is a great reference.

www.drdeer.com

Re: Books!! [Re: deerfeeder] #6733665 04/13/17 11:34 AM
R
Ranch Dog Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: deerfeeder
Trees, shrubs, cacti of South Texas by James H. Everitt, D. Lynn Drawe, and Robert I Lonard. A field guide to Common South Texas Shrubs by Richard B. Taylor, Jimmy Rutledge, Joe G. Herrera. Adios to the Brushlands, Keepers of the Wilderness, And, The Sand Sheet, All 3 by Arturo Longoria, all published by A&M Press.

Just finished Adios to the Brushlands, thanks, deerfeeder! I bought all three of Longoria's books. "Adios" really hit home as the Author and I are very near in age, and I too have witnessed the loss he describes in South Texas first hand.

[Linked Image]
Re: Books!! [Re: BrianCook_RanchSales] #6736138 04/16/17 03:22 AM
H
HS2 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
A Practical Guide to Edible & Useful Plants
by Delena Tull

This is the best book I've seen on edible plants, harmful plants, and plants useful for crafts & dyes.

Podcast: Reasoning Through the Bible
ReasoningThroughTheBible.com
Re: Books!! [Re: Ranch Dog] #6736150 04/16/17 03:42 AM
D
deerfeeder Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: Ranch Dog
Originally Posted By: deerfeeder
Trees, shrubs, cacti of South Texas by James H. Everitt, D. Lynn Drawe, and Robert I Lonard. A field guide to Common South Texas Shrubs by Richard B. Taylor, Jimmy Rutledge, Joe G. Herrera. Adios to the Brushlands, Keepers of the Wilderness, And, The Sand Sheet, All 3 by Arturo Longoria, all published by A&M Press.

Just finished Adios to the Brushlands, thanks, deerfeeder! I bought all three of Longoria's books. "Adios" really hit home as the Author and I are very near in age, and I too have witnessed the loss he describes in South Texas first hand.

I am mentioned in Adios to the Brushland. Me and Longoria are good buds. We text, talk and email quite often. Saw him about a month ago. We had coffee down in San Isidro.

The man knows his stuff. He has a blog. http://woodsroamer.blogspot.mx/

Re: Books!! [Re: BrianCook_RanchSales] #6736544 04/16/17 08:05 PM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Highly recommend:

Askins, Restoring North America's Birds, Lessons from Landscape Ecology.

https://www.amazon.com/Restoring-North-A...ndscape+ecology

For just great hunting and fishing stories, Bob Brister, Golden Crescent. Long out of print, a bit expensive, but worth it. Also includes wonderful art by Jack Cowan, one of the artists that truly defined art of South Texas hunting and fishing. Truly outstanding quality writing and a great gift to yourself.

Brister & Cowan

Re: Books!! [Re: BrianCook_RanchSales] #6736579 04/16/17 09:19 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

'The Son,' a Novel by Philipp Meyer - The New York Times
The New York Times › books › the-son-...
Jun 19, 2013 - The words of Edward Gibbon bookend Philipp Meyer's novel “The Son,” a luxuriantly big book that tells a very Texan story of decline and fall. Mr. Meyer opens with Gibbon's words about how the ...

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Books!! [Re: BrianCook_RanchSales] #6736601 04/16/17 10:01 PM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
If you want genuine South Texas stories and descriptions of Texas geography and wildlife read Early Settlers and Indian Fighters of Southwest Texas by Andrew Jackson Sowell. He personally interviewed many original setters in Texas and recorded their stories first hand of hunting, land, animals, Indians, etc. Some of the previous books mentioned used Sowell as a reference. I also kept seeing Life of Robert Hall used as a reference in many books when referring to hunting stories. He was a guide and hunter with great stories of hunting bears, deer, lions, and buffalo (American Bison) in South Texas.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Books!! [Re: BrianCook_RanchSales] #6746798 04/26/17 07:05 PM
P
predapex Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
Lonesome Dove

Re: Books!! [Re: BrianCook_RanchSales] #6746817 04/26/17 07:23 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Lots of excellent suggestions above.

For humor - The Deer Pasture, by Rick Bass. He's written other books that are good, but this was one of his earliest, maybe his first, before he got all holier-than-thou bowhunter, you should only hunt as I do; he moved to MT and lives in the Yaak valley. His short story collections, many about living in Houston suburbia, are a riot.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Books!! [Re: Creekrunner] #6746822 04/26/17 07:27 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: Creekrunner
Lots of excellent suggestions above.

For humor - The Deer Pasture, by Rick Bass. He's written other books that are good, but this was one of his earliest, maybe his first, before he got all holier-than-thou bowhunter, you should only hunt as I do; he moved to MT and lives in the Yaak valley. His short story collections, many about living in Houston suburbia, are a riot.

Loved The Deer Pasture.
Slogged my way through a recent book of his short stories. Wished I had that time back. Just not my cup of tea I guess - seemed if he was just riffing by jumping from one absurd scenario to another with no direction I could discern.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide