Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Please school me on lobsters.... #6682298 02/21/17 02:45 PM
pertnear Online Content OP
"Demolition Man"
OP Online Content
"Demolition Man"
On valentines day, instead of going out (we're an old married couple) my wife decided to cook at home a "surf 'n' turf". I grilled some NY strips & she boiled 2 small lobster tails. The tails were frozen in a package from HEB & were only a couple of ounces each. They cost 2 for $10 so you get the idea. These looked like oversized crawdad tails (LOL). Surprisingly, we both commented that the lobster tails, although small, were fantastic! We've bought some of these before & were not overly impressed before.

If I wanted to surprise her & splurge on a couple of DIY real, full sized lobster tails, how would I go about that? Some say only Maine lobsters, don't get them at HEB, they must be live to start, etc. Any advice/experiences would be most appreciated.

"Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.” - George Orwell
Re: Please school me on lobsters.... [Re: pertnear] #6682356 02/21/17 03:26 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H
When I get lobster tails, I will take them meat from the shells and give them a few icey salt water baths. Then I just grill them because well it's so easy and taste so great. Serve with garlic butter to dip in, then you sir will have a wonderful meal. You can't beat those prices on lobster tails from the HEB.

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: Please school me on lobsters.... [Re: pertnear] #6682364 02/21/17 03:30 PM
B
budward Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Be careful not to overcook them!

Re: Please school me on lobsters.... [Re: pertnear] #6685047 02/23/17 07:16 PM
T
TX_Diver Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
I've bought from these guys online before. Also been to their shop and eaten at the restaurant when I lived a few miles down the road at school.

https://www.giovannisfishmarket.com/seafood-online/lobster.aspx

If you want to do it right and have the cash get the live lobsters when they have em. CA lobster vs Maine lobster doesn't matter much in my opinion. You can get just tails also although that doesn't save you much $.

Budward is right with regards to overcooking. Boiling is easy way to cook em but grilled is better flavor although harder to cook.

My favorite way is mix of both, boil them to cook em most of the way then throw them on the grill to finish em off and get some better flavor. You could probably sous-vide them if you have the equipment. I don't and just boil then grill usually.

While you're at it place an order for some other stuff from them. They have the best scallops (get the big ones) I've found anywhere (dry pack makes a HUGE difference and is 10x better than what you'll find at HEB that has been stored in water) and some of their shark jerky and salmon candy stuff is awesome as well.

Re: Please school me on lobsters.... [Re: pertnear] #6685049 02/23/17 07:17 PM
T
TX_Diver Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Also, if you haven't cooked em much before get another round or 2 of the cheap ones from HEB to practice on. Then when you get the high dollar ones you'll be able to do them justice and have a much lower risk of over cooking them.

Re: Please school me on lobsters.... [Re: pertnear] #6685824 02/24/17 02:44 PM
D
deewayne2003 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
Just like crab legs & Shrimp, over cooking is the #1 destroyer of good lobster.

I second what TX_Diver said about practicing on a couple of cheap ones before diving into premium seafood; and actually you can practice on cheaper crabs and shrimp first. You simply need to get out of the mind frame of "It looks done now" while the food is still in the water or on the grill.

Seafood especially shell fish cooks QUICK- you drop large shrimp in a pot of boiling water and they are literally done in 2 minutes; and when you take them out of the hot water they continue to cook simply from residual heat.

Best tip I ever got was from an old fish monger - "You know you have over cooked shellfish when the meat is done but the shells are soft; you want the meat to be done and the shell to CRACK like a piece of glass when you go to break it."

Re: Please school me on lobsters.... [Re: budward] #6685855 02/24/17 03:06 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: budward
Be careful not to overcook them!

This is all I can add they get rubbery.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Please school me on lobsters.... [Re: Herbie Hancock] #6686239 02/24/17 09:57 PM
E
easton1025 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
Best tasting lobster tails are 1 to 2 lbs lobsters....After that they begin to get a tad bit tougher with each pound and a little less sweet.... I stick with cold water lobster tails, which unfortunately, because of price many restaurants are switching to warm water...There is a huge difference in taste... I try to stick with Maine or Atlantic lobsters when possible.. I only cook two ways ... Steam in the shell whole lobster and secondly cut a slit down the back..pull the meat out without completely pulling it out and broil it for a few minutes in the oven...

Re: Please school me on lobsters.... [Re: easton1025] #6686929 02/25/17 05:50 PM
T
TX_Diver Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Originally Posted By: easton1025
Best tasting lobster tails are 1 to 2 lbs lobsters....After that they begin to get a tad bit tougher with each pound and a little less sweet.... I stick with cold water lobster tails, which unfortunately, because of price many restaurants are switching to warm water...There is a huge difference in taste... I try to stick with Maine or Atlantic lobsters when possible.. I only cook two ways ... Steam in the shell whole lobster and secondly cut a slit down the back..pull the meat out without completely pulling it out and broil it for a few minutes in the oven...

Personally I'll disagree with the assertion that larger tails aren't as tasty. My belief is that larger tails are harder too cook and often the outside is overcooked before the inside is done (a large part of my preferred method of heating up in water then grilling to finish.

A buddy got this guy one night when we were diving (yes that's a standard sized dishwasher it's on top of). We cooked it up along with a variety of other sized lobsters and there was no difference. I'm not an expert but I've eaten a good amount of lobster as I used to dive for em when I lived in CA.

Re: Please school me on lobsters.... [Re: pertnear] #6687083 02/25/17 11:13 PM
G
GO REBS Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
Grilled tails with garlic butter

GO REBS
Re: Please school me on lobsters.... [Re: pertnear] #6687088 02/25/17 11:21 PM
Tbar Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Wife and I had some at a very expensive restaurant recently. It was tough as an old boot.

Make America Great Again

Re: Please school me on lobsters.... [Re: Tbar] #6692002 03/02/17 12:54 AM
W
WNPHNTR Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
W
Cut the tails in half length-wise and brush on heavily a seasoned/herbed melted butter.
Throw them on the grill or under a broiler shell side down until the meat is done which only takes a few minutes.
brush again with the butter after removing from the heat, and peel them out of the shell.
They pop out easily and have some more of the seasoned melted butter handy. yummy!

Re: Please school me on lobsters.... [Re: deewayne2003] #6692748 03/02/17 05:09 PM
A
aerangis Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: deewayne2003
Just like crab legs & Shrimp, over cooking is the #1 destroyer of good lobster.

Hit the nail on the head. I eat a lot of lobster and shrimp cooked on the grill. If it's rubbery, it's overdone.

I split and remove the shells the the tail, leaving just the fan. Brush with melted butter, put them on a hot grill and continue brushing with butter. Flip when they go from pink to white, remove when they're done, usually a couple minutes or so if the grills hot enough. They cook fast and you want them to cook fast, they'll stay tender if you do.

Hard to screw up when you cook them this way. Unless you walk off and forget they're there mad

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide