I'd find out why.

Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: Dustnsand] #6667704 02/09/17 03:29 AM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: z71dustin
I would have no problem giving them that information.

The way this thread is going it sure looks like a few folks are guilty or planning to be.

If you've ever hunted you've been guilty.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: DoubleB20] #6667877 02/09/17 01:01 PM
H
huntwest Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
I've known Cliff for as long as he has been in Stephens county and if he did this he needed the info for some reason. I also know a lot of guys that lease in Stephens county and he hasn't asked them.

Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: JTS] #6667881 02/09/17 01:05 PM
H
huntwest Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Originally Posted By: JTS
Originally Posted By: redchevy

It did tick me off last season that the game warden drove right up to our camp in his truck, through our locked gate... turns out he has a key to the power company lock. I think that should be against the law.

Our game warden asked the guy who does my farming for the code to the gate at my place. He gave it to him because he didn't want to upset the game warden. I changed the gate code the next week. I also cut the power companies lock also since he has a key for that also.

So you broke the law by cutting the power company's lock to keep the game warden out?
I would bet your landowner will be pizzed about that when the power company calls him.

Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: therancher] #6667915 02/09/17 01:41 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted By: therancher

The way this thread is going it sure looks like a few folks are guilty or planning to be.

That is true....I always, always try to go by the rules exactly, but after re-reading the rules I saw where I have broke one before. "After a deer is killed and before the deer is field dressed or moved, the appropriate hunting license tag must be immediately filled out and dates cut out." I drug it out of the feeder pen before tagging, therefore I "moved it" and so I was in violation of the law. If any GW are reading this post, that was a hypothetical statement.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: Mr. T.] #6667943 02/09/17 02:04 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: Mr. T.

That is true....I always, always try to go by the rules exactly, but after re-reading the rules I saw where I have broke one before. "After a deer is killed and before the deer is field dressed or moved, the appropriate hunting license tag must be immediately filled out and dates cut out." I drug it out of the feeder pen before tagging, therefore I "moved it" and so I was in violation of the law. If any GW are reading this post, that was a hypothetical statement.

I'm certain most of us do. But when you have laws so complex and numerous that even veteran GW's can't keep up with them, you are certain to fall on the wrong side of one from time to time.

On my neighbors place this year one of his straightest laced "Boy Scout" leasers (who always welcomed the GW in and gave him gate codes) got cited for several turkey's in a sting because other hunters there were killing quail in dove season (dummy's got what they deserve there). Can't remember what the slight infraction was but the Boy Scout had to pay the fee and restitution. The landowner and I had quite a chuckle over the fact that "his buddy" lit him up like a Christmas tree. Our hunters know not to give gate codes out now.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: therancher] #6668005 02/09/17 02:45 PM
S
SouthWestIron Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: Mr. T.

I'm certain most of us do. But when you have laws so complex and numerous that even veteran GW's can't keep up with them, you are certain to fall on the wrong side of one from time to time.

On my neighbors place this year one of his straightest laced "Boy Scout" leasers (who always welcomed the GW in and gave him gate codes) got cited for several turkey's in a sting because other hunters there were killing quail in dove season (dummy's got what they deserve there). Can't remember what the slight infraction was but the Boy Scout had to pay the fee and restitution. The landowner and I had quite a chuckle over the fact that "his buddy" lit him up like a Christmas tree. Our hunters know not to give gate codes out now.

Was cited myself for failure to tag in the field after I carried 3 turkeys I had shot to a different blind awaiting pickup by the landowner. Pleaded my case for a bit that I was still in the field being we were a mile from the ranch house. The only reason the Game Warden was at the place is the landowners thought it best to let him know we would be hog hunting at night. Which is perfectly legal and their is absolutely no need or requirement to notify anyone. After he, "did me a favor" and only cited me for 1 of the birds he proceeded to ask to look at everyone's side arms! Don't know what he was fishing for but he definitely was. Once that was all through he followed us all up to an area where the ranch did their gut disposal. As I cleaned my turkeys he approached and demanded to see my license again! I complied of course and his reason was " I wanted to see if you had the super combo" What the heck would a super combo have to do with anything when we were not fishing? He was now clearly just harassing which by the way is breaking the law. Although I'm sure the majority of Wardens are great people their job is to enforce the laws, generate income for the state and their Department. Not to be your friend!

Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: Old Rabbit] #6668015 02/09/17 02:50 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: Duck_Hunter
I read through the response noses and thought about it some more. I can mostly see both sides, but I find myself falling on the side of those that don't understand the reason why you should or would be okay with this or with the LO or ranch manager giving it up without your permission.

My biggest qualm is, why does the warden need your address? Name and cell phone, okay, maybe he wants it on hand in case something does come up, like needing to access the property for some reason and not wanting to ruin a hunt, or because there was a theft there and might need to get in touch with guys on the lease.

But my home address, most likely in another county? That definitely makes it seem like a fishing expedition, and I'm not okay with that.

No problems with game wardens and I respect their job and how hard it can be, but that seems unnecessary and would make me uncomfortable. If he showed up at camp, introduced himself and asked ME for it, I might give him my name and number, depending on the reason, but not my home address just for him to ave on file.

That seems really odd.

if he was really fishing and really wanted your address all he needs is a vehicle LP or even just your name in most cases, 2 minutes on his computer and he would have it. IMO he was just trying to figure out who all should be on the property.

Originally Posted By: Old Rabbit
I know my local game wardens and have their phone numbers programed into my phone.
That said I would be sending a certified letter to Austin asking for the reason this happened and what they planned to do about it. I don't like people I do business with giving out my personal information.

If there actually was a need for this information then I might change my mind about it.

a certified letter? really? like someone said above, why not just call HIM and ask him why he wanted the info?

threads like this remind me every time at the amount of time and energy some people will spend just to get themselves riled up.

crimes get solved and criminals get caught every day by LEO's asking simple questions, often DUMB questions, because they have the right to do it.

Originally Posted By: cameron00
If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: DoubleB20] #6668023 02/09/17 02:54 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Just a few ideas for those who always welcome the warden around... do you set traps on your lease, either varmit or hog? Have you ever caught an unintended target? What did you do with it? Was it legal?

Have you ever discarded a front leg because it was blown to hell and back and wondered if the warden felt the same way?

Do you know what a true 1/4 is and what the game warden considers a 1/4?

Ever processed something beyond quarters at camp?

I do my darndest to be a law abiding citizen, for the most part I don't even speed. Plain and simple its private property I have an expectation of privacy.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: DoubleB20] #6668035 02/09/17 03:04 PM
B
BenBob Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Game wardens are to hunters about like DOT DPS officers are to truck drivers-----if they want to give you a ticket, they can snoop around long enough to find a violation.

Tired, Wired, and Uninspired
Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: jshouse] #6668055 02/09/17 03:16 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter

If a cop asks to search your vehicle, do you agree to let him/her? After all, you don't have anything to hide, do you?

Originally Posted By: jshouse

if he was really fishing and really wanted your address all he needs is a vehicle LP or even just your name in most cases, 2 minutes on his computer and he would have it. IMO he was just trying to figure out who all should be on the property.

Originally Posted By: huntwest
I've known Cliff for as long as he has been in Stephens county and if he did this he needed the info for some reason. I also know a lot of guys that lease in Stephens county and he hasn't asked them.

Right, the GW isn't making a list of all the names of all the people on all the properties in Stephens County to reference in case he comes across a vehicle or person on any given property. First, it would take him hundreds or thousands of hours to compile such a list in the manner he is going about it. Second, it would be monumental in size. Third, it would likely be out of date before he even completed it.

The OP's lease is being targeted. The question is, why? That the GW didn't come clean with a realistic reason would indicate that he has some suspicions already working.

I like the logic offered that he wants to know who is supposed to be there. I have hunted as a guest on numerous people's leases including Stephens County. I would not be on any list if GWs in all those counties compiled lists. So would that mean that I am "not supposed to be there?" After all, I am not on the list, LOL.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: Double Naught Spy] #6668081 02/09/17 03:29 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy

If a cop asks to search your vehicle, do you agree to let him/her? After all, you don't have anything to hide, do you?

Originally Posted By: jshouse

Right, the GW isn't making a list of all the names of all the people on all the properties in Stephens County to reference in case he comes across a vehicle or person on any given property. First, it would take him hundreds or thousands of hours to compile such a list in the manner he is going about it. Second, it would be monumental in size. Third, it would likely be out of date before he even completed it.

The OP's lease is being targeted. The question is, why? That the GW didn't come clean with a realistic reason would indicate that he has some suspicions already working.

I like the logic offered that he wants to know who is supposed to be there. I have hunted as a guest on numerous people's leases including Stephens County. I would not be on any list if GWs in all those counties compiled lists. So would that mean that I am "not supposed to be there?" After all, I am not on the list, LOL.

correct, he probably has a reason to be targeting this specific property, he doenst have to "come clean" and tell you, but all it takes is a phone call to ask.

i had a GW waiting for me at my truck after a hunt in december, a neighbor called and said they had never seen the vehicle on the road before. he checked me out, even called the LO who verfied that i was good to go, and i was on my way. i am glad he was out there, in the middle of nowhere, DOING HIS JOB. i hunt places where stands, cameras, and feeders tend to disappear, the more GW presence the better.

if you arent someone he expects to see out there, now he has a list of 10 phone numbers he can call to check you out.

If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: DoubleB20] #6668086 02/09/17 03:31 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
and it may not even be the OPs property that is being targeted, it could be that the neighboring hunters have a reputation for not knowing what a fence is and hes trying to figure out "who is suppposed to be" on the OPs place.

Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: huntwest] #6668089 02/09/17 03:32 PM
J
JTS Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J

It did tick me off last season that the game warden drove right up to our camp in his truck, through our locked gate... turns out he has a key to the power company lock. I think that should be against the law.

Our game warden asked the guy who does my farming for the code to the gate at my place. He gave it to him because he didn't want to upset the game warden. I changed the gate code the next week. I also cut the power companies lock also since he has a key for that also.

So you broke the law by cutting the power company's lock to keep the game warden out?
I would bet your landowner will be pizzed about that when the power company calls him.

Don't think I broke the law by cutting the power company's lock. They asked if they could put a lock on my gate when they ran power to my cabin and I told them yes. Now I changed my mind.
Being the land owner I won't be too pissed if the power company calls me since I'm the one who took off their lock.

Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: DoubleB20] #6668130 02/09/17 04:02 PM
H
HornSlayer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
I bet someone nearby is growing pot, cooking meth or poaching. The warden is trying to get info on the people in the area.

Last edited by HornSlayer; 02/09/17 04:02 PM.

They make ammo specifically for hunting for a reason! nidea
Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: Dustnsand] #6668139 02/09/17 04:09 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S

Why does exercising one's rights have to be an expression of guilt?

Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: Double Naught Spy] #6668143 02/09/17 04:13 PM
S
Stub Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S

Yes anytime up

Last edited by Stub; 02/09/17 04:14 PM.

texas flag

Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: Stub] #6668165 02/09/17 04:34 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: Stub

Yes anytime up

I think most would be surprised how many people say yes to this question that DO have something to hide, like things that come in kilos and LB's.

Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: Sneaky] #6668200 02/09/17 05:01 PM
B
BenBob Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: Sneaky

Well said.

Tired, Wired, and Uninspired
Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: DoubleB20] #6668204 02/09/17 05:03 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
I'd bet $1 this isn't "just for his info", as mentioned before, it isn't like he doesn't have enough to do other than collect county wide hunters info.

Could be he received a complaint from neighboring leases/LO's, or maybe suspicions from the LO himself. Also possible the LO wants the info for some reason and is using the GW as a rouge.

Calling the GW, may or may not get you anywhere, he wont tip his hand if that is the case anyway.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: BenBob] #6668218 02/09/17 05:13 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: BenBob
Originally Posted By: Sneaky

Well said.
up

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: Western] #6668235 02/09/17 05:23 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: Western
Also possible the LO wants the info for some reason and is using the GW as a rouge.

There's a thought. May not be the game warden at all.

Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: DoubleB20] #6668261 02/09/17 05:41 PM
S
snake oil Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I don't have a problem with this I guess and don't have anything to hide....Also depends on the GW. We had an azzhole in Palo Pinto county for a long time before he finally moved on and I sure wouldn't give him that info......

Last edited by snake oil; 02/09/17 05:42 PM.

"You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas".
Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: DoubleB20] #6668479 02/09/17 08:32 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Quote:
correct, he probably has a reason to be targeting this specific property, he doenst have to "come clean" and tell you, but all it takes is a phone call to ask.

Right, he doesn't have to come clean as to the real reason for asking for the information and I would add that I don't have a problem with him asking for the information in the first place. However, if he isn't being straight with me, then I would certainly be hesitant to volunteer information.

Quote:
I think most would be surprised how many people say yes to this question that DO have something to hide, like things that come in kilos and LB's.

Yep, perfectly legal to ask and perfectly legal to refuse.

BTW, law enforcement almost universally refuses to give out their private information.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Unusual game warden request [Re: JTS] #6668607 02/09/17 10:24 PM
H
huntwest Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H

Don't think I broke the law by cutting the power company's lock. They asked if they could put a lock on my gate when they ran power to my cabin and I told them yes. Now I changed my mind.
Being the land owner I won't be too pissed if the power company calls me since I'm the one who took off their lock.

How do they read their meter? I also have an electric power line across my place and have to keep a lock on the gate. It would be against the law for me to lock them out from there right of way.

Last edited by huntwest; 02/09/17 10:25 PM.
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide