Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Beretta Original Xtrema Gun Issue #6643666 01/22/17 06:42 PM
thomas_z71 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Gents, my beloved original Xtrema started acting sick yesterday. It should be known this gun gets shot only a few times a year since I haven't been out much the last 3 or so years. It was slightly difficult to put a shell in the chamber, but I didn't think anything of it. I shot a handful of times and packed up(no birds). When I got home I wiped down like normal and then thought about the shell issue. So now when I tried to put a shell in, it's dam near impossible. I also remembered back when I got to the truck I emptied the last two shells out of the magazine by chambering and then ejecting, and the last shell got hung up like the magazine spring wasn't pushing it out like it should? Anyone have this exact issue before? This gun has been nothing but perfect ever since I bought on this forum many many years ago. I've only broken it down completely once via some youtube help. I just want to see if anyone could maybe pinpoint a possibl issue before I do that again. Thanks a ton!

Re: Beretta Original Xtrema Gun Issue [Re: thomas_z71] #6643690 01/22/17 07:19 PM
R
Roc Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
Have you tried another box or brand shell. Ones you have could be bad loads. Just a thought. I have the same gun for 8 years and never a issue. When you say it won't chamber I assume you mean the shell won't go into the barrel? You also mention the spring which doesn't affect clambering just cycling the next shell. When you clean do you fully take it apart with removing the trigger assembly, bolt, and barrel? I clean it all once a year. Only oil the bolt slides and bolt. Worst case take it to Dallas beretta. Just seems if it's not clambering it's shell issue.

Re: Beretta Original Xtrema Gun Issue [Re: thomas_z71] #6643722 01/22/17 07:44 PM
thomas_z71 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Thank you for the input. I shot it about 6 times yesterday, zero issues firing. However, when I tried to empty my gun, I chamber the load, then pull on the bolt to eject it. When I tried to chamber(so this is without shooting, it would hang up half way out of the magazine. I eventually got it out, but now when I try to load it, it's like the magazine is locked shut and it's dam near impossible to jam a shell in there. So it's not a shell specific issue, it feels like it's something springy that's not working right. I've only taken it fully apart one time about 5 years ago. Other than that just a quick spray with oil and back in safe.

Re: Beretta Original Xtrema Gun Issue [Re: thomas_z71] #6643730 01/22/17 07:54 PM
thomas_z71 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
I guess simply put when you hit the little button under the trigger that put the magazined shell into the space to be chambered, it only comes out about halfway at best. Once I free it out of the magazine it will chamber just fine.

Re: Beretta Original Xtrema Gun Issue [Re: thomas_z71] #6643824 01/22/17 09:26 PM
Dave Speer Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
I had that issue a couple years ago-- different gun but same symptoms, the magazine was failing to feed. Took my magazine apart and found that the follower was gunked up. The piece I'm talking about is the metal or plastic piece that you see when your mag is empty. It's a little cap shaped thing that sits between your shells and your magazine spring. For example, mine is safety orange plastic. There was just enough powder gunk on that plastic that it was catching in the mag tube from time to time.

Mostly I had your problem, but once, I loaded the gun up, took a shot, second shell fed just find and chambered, lifted the gun and I heard the noise of something sliding. The follower had jammed down and I had a shell floating in my mag tube because it didn't spring up and push the shell all the way to the "ready to feed" position.

Anyway, I hit mine with some hoppes but it was stubborn so I ended up lightly scraping all the edges of the follower, cleaning good, and I've been good to go ever since. If you have problems filling the magazine or feeding from it, it's almost certainly a problem with the follower, the spring, or dirt inside the mag tube.

Re: Beretta Original Xtrema Gun Issue [Re: thomas_z71] #6643922 01/22/17 10:38 PM
R
Roc Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
Pm sent

Re: Beretta Original Xtrema Gun Issue [Re: Dave Speer] #6644081 01/23/17 12:22 AM
G
Greekangler Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: Dave Speer
I had that issue a couple years ago-- different gun but same symptoms, the magazine was failing to feed. Took my magazine apart and found that the follower was gunked up. The piece I'm talking about is the metal or plastic piece that you see when your mag is empty. It's a little cap shaped thing that sits between your shells and your magazine spring. For example, mine is safety orange plastic. There was just enough powder gunk on that plastic that it was catching in the mag tube from time to time.

Mostly I had your problem, but once, I loaded the gun up, took a shot, second shell fed just find and chambered, lifted the gun and I heard the noise of something sliding. The follower had jammed down and I had a shell floating in my mag tube because it didn't spring up and push the shell all the way to the "ready to feed" position.

Anyway, I hit mine with some hoppes but it was stubborn so I ended up lightly scraping all the edges of the follower, cleaning good, and I've been good to go ever since. If you have problems filling the magazine or feeding from it, it's almost certainly a problem with the follower, the spring, or dirt inside the mag tube.

Great advice. If your shells get a bit muddy from time to time- they will gunk up the follower

[Linked Image]
Take a kid Huntin
Re: Beretta Original Xtrema Gun Issue [Re: thomas_z71] #6644170 01/23/17 01:08 AM
thomas_z71 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
And that's exactly what it was! Finally got that dam follower out the tube(thanks to ROC) and cleaned it up. It's a lugnut looking metal piece that was covered in black crud. Got it cleaned up, replaced, and boom, shells go in and out with ease and it chambers flawlessly. I really appreciate all the info! I knew I could get better info here versus the rest of the interweb.

Re: Beretta Original Xtrema Gun Issue [Re: thomas_z71] #6644256 01/23/17 01:56 AM
B
beaversnipe Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Go to adm gunsmith in south lake
Best gunsmith in

Thank me later yingyang flag

www.TexasPondPoppers.com
Originally Posted by bill oxner
Loved my 4 inches. Well needed.

Originally Posted by bill oxner