Print Thread
And usually it's a gun that was given to them #6623647 01/09/17 02:57 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
How many times has someone handed you a rusted gun and asked you to clean it up for them? Every time I have seen this happen, it was a gun that was given to them and left in the back of a closet or some other out-of-the-way place for years on end. For those who appreciate the value of any firearm, it's like handing them a starving dog and asking them to feed it and make it healthy again. Why on earth do these people not take care of their own firearm in a respectful manner?

Rant over.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: And usually it's a gun that was given to them [Re: Texas Dan] #6623653 01/09/17 03:02 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
People have no buy-in on free stuff. Reason #1 not to give your kid a brand-new vehicle for his 16th Bday.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: And usually it's a gun that was given to them [Re: Texas Dan] #6623679 01/09/17 03:20 PM
C
changedmyname Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
I've never had anyone hand me a rifle to clean.

Re: And usually it's a gun that was given to them [Re: Texas Dan] #6623688 01/09/17 03:29 PM
R
RiverRider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
I've never had anyone hand me a rifle too clean.
grin

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: And usually it's a gun that was given to them [Re: Texas Dan] #6623699 01/09/17 03:34 PM
K
Korean Redneck Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Dan, I have a few times in my life. You think you're doing a friend a simple favor and then all the sudden it turns into an epic chore. More than once was a gun described to me as "a little neglected" and it turned out to be rusted everywhere.
I've even had one of my own returned to me with rust. Needless to say this fried. Has never even touched one of guns again. He said, "I didn't do anything but use it." I told him that if all he did was touch it and it started to rust then he must have magical anti-Midas touch therefore can never touch my guns again.

I'm a dude who likes long barrels!
Re: And usually it's a gun that was given to them [Re: Korean Redneck] #6623848 01/09/17 05:01 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Korean Redneck
I've even had one of my own returned to me with rust. Needless to say this fried. Has never even touched one of guns again. He said, "I didn't do anything but use it." I told him that if all he did was touch it and it started to rust then he must have magical anti-Midas touch therefore can never touch my guns again.

The last gun I loaned to someone was an old Ted Williams .22 that I let a co-worker borrow to teach his son to shoot. Another co-worker later confided in me that his son traded the gun for dope. I never asked the guy who borrowed it again about what happened to it after learning that. I was just thankful it wasn't my kid.

Of course I was soon reminded of the incident after a friend handed me an old Ted Williams 30-30 that another friend of our's had asked him to clean up for him. The rust had already eaten well into the metal in numerous places.

Re: And usually it's a gun that was given to them [Re: Texas Dan] #6623852 01/09/17 05:02 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Ive never met anyone with a rusted gun.

Re: And usually it's a gun that was given to them [Re: Texas Dan] #6623857 01/09/17 05:05 PM
7six2 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
One of my friends at work once asked me to clean a gun. He offered to pay me but I declined. Then my supervisor got wind and asked me to clean one of his. He offered to pay too but I declined. Then...my same supervisor brings me ALL of his guns to clean ( multiple occasions); I only refrain from complaining because I get to do it on the clock. Once, he even brought me his friends guns to clean (on the clock at least). THEN....another coworker wanted HIS guns cleaned to; at least he insisted on paying me. THEN...it gets worse...word gets around that I know how to maintain firearms (LOL!) and others have asked me to clean and even repair guns. Henceforth I've been declining. No mas!

Re: And usually it's a gun that was given to them [Re: 7six2] #6623864 01/09/17 05:09 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: 7six2
One of my friends at work once asked me to clean a gun. He offered to pay me but I declined. Then my supervisor got wind and asked me to clean one of his. He offered to pay too but I declined. Then...my same supervisor brings me ALL of his guns to clean ( multiple occasions); I only refrain from complaining because I get to do it on the clock. Once, he even brought me his friends guns to clean (on the clock at least). THEN....another coworker wanted HIS guns cleaned to; at least he insisted on paying me. THEN...it gets worse...word gets around that I know how to maintain firearms (LOL!) and others have asked me to clean and even repair guns. Henceforth I've been declining. No mas!

There must be something in a person's DNA that makes them obsessed with either taking extreme care or totally neglecting a firearm.

Re: And usually it's a gun that was given to them [Re: Texas Dan] #6623865 01/09/17 05:10 PM
D
Dalee7892 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
I've got a 1903 single shot 22, I still take it out of safe and oil it down.

Re: And usually it's a gun that was given to them [Re: Texas Dan] #6624341 01/09/17 09:46 PM
T
Toxarch Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
My uncle had maybe a dozen guns that I know of, maybe more. He had 3 daughters, none of whom ever shot any of the guns. A year or so after he passed, I told my aunt I would come over and clean and oil the guns so they would be good if anyone wanted them in the future. She said no. Asked my cousins to talk to her and she told them no. More time passed and I offered to show my cousin how I cleaned my guns and she can clean her dad's guns and I could help if she wanted. She never took me up on the offer. A few years later my aunt moved. I offered to put the guns in my safe and not shoot them, just clean them. I figured maybe a grandchild would take up hunting and want their grandfather's rifles. The answer was no. Well, the girls married and 20 years later, one of the husbands suddenly wanted one or more of the old rifles. He said he would be around for the holidays and asked if I would look at a couple of of them. He brought over the "best" looking ones (i.e. the least rust). Three rifles and they were covered in rust. My aunt had taken the rifles and stuck them in the attic in North Texas. Never oiled them in 20 years. I said the best thing was to take them to a gun smith and get a professional opinion. They were way past surface rust.

It is far more important to be able to hit the target than it is to haggle over who makes a weapon or who pulls a trigger.

� Dwight D. Eisenhower
Re: And usually it's a gun that was given to them [Re: Texas Dan] #6624362 01/09/17 09:58 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
I had a neighbor that had a Marlin 336D in .35. It was the Texan model with beautiful wood. He wasn't a big hunter, but had been invited to go on a pig hunt the next weekend. He was showing me the gun, asking if it would be sufficient for hunting pigs. When he handed it to me, I cycled the action to verify it was empty, and OMG! Gritty, grimey, and would barely move it had so much crud. It had probably never been cleaned properly. As one would guess, it had been given to him. I took it home overnight, disassembled, cleaned and polished. It looked and cycled like a brand new gun at that point. He was very appreciative. I think when people neglect guns it is more a product of ignorance than anything. They were not taught correctly. I told him that in the future, he should learn how to take the bolt out and clean, or take to a gunsmith periodically for a good cleaning.

Re: And usually it's a gun that was given to them [Re: Texas Dan] #6624385 01/09/17 10:16 PM
C
chital_shikari Offline
Minor in training
Minor in training
C
I have an old bolt action .410 that's rustier than a NErn car's chasis roflmao

Forgot who gave it to us though.

Re: And usually it's a gun that was given to them [Re: Texas Dan] #6624481 01/09/17 11:20 PM
P
P & Y Offline
Tracker
Tracker
P
Not sure why everyone makes such a big deal about cleaning guns. I treat mine like the tools they are. I use them and put them away, seldom clean any of them. My rifles get as much respect as my Milwaukee drills get

Last edited by P & Y; 01/09/17 11:22 PM.

Re: And usually it's a gun that was given to them [Re: P & Y] #6624824 01/10/17 02:18 AM
K
Korean Redneck Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: P & Y
Not sure why everyone makes such a big deal about cleaning guns. I treat mine like the tools they are. I use them and put them away, seldom clean any of them. My rifles get as much respect as my Milwaukee drills get

Because some of us who live in certain places, like houston, that makes guns susceptible to rust if you just flat out ignore them. Whilst I don't have the fanciest of guns, I certainly don't have cheap crap either.

I'm a dude who likes long barrels!
Re: And usually it's a gun that was given to them [Re: P & Y] #6624877 01/10/17 02:37 AM
R
RiverRider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Originally Posted By: P & Y

So...got any rifles in the Classifieds?
scared

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: And usually it's a gun that was given to them [Re: Texas Dan] #6624904 01/10/17 02:49 AM
P
P & Y Offline
Tracker
Tracker
P
Yes sir! LNIB grin

Re: And usually it's a gun that was given to them [Re: Toxarch] #6624932 01/10/17 02:58 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Toxarch
My uncle had maybe a dozen guns that I know of, maybe more. He had 3 daughters, none of whom ever shot any of the guns. A year or so after he passed, I told my aunt I would come over and clean and oil the guns so they would be good if anyone wanted them in the future. She said no. Asked my cousins to talk to her and she told them no. More time passed and I offered to show my cousin how I cleaned my guns and she can clean her dad's guns and I could help if she wanted. She never took me up on the offer. A few years later my aunt moved. I offered to put the guns in my safe and not shoot them, just clean them. I figured maybe a grandchild would take up hunting and want their grandfather's rifles. The answer was no. Well, the girls married and 20 years later, one of the husbands suddenly wanted one or more of the old rifles. He said he would be around for the holidays and asked if I would look at a couple of of them. He brought over the "best" looking ones (i.e. the least rust). Three rifles and they were covered in rust. My aunt had taken the rifles and stuck them in the attic in North Texas. Never oiled them in 20 years. I said the best thing was to take them to a gun smith and get a professional opinion. They were way past surface rust.

Your aunt sounds very much like one of those who cares more about keeping things away from other family members, especially when they feel other family members value or want them. I know a guy who took his dad's Honda ATV and left it sitting in his back yard for years just so his brothers wouldn't have it. His dad's estate was never probated so he couldn't legally sell it. But he made sure his siblings never got to use it.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide