Forums46
Topics537,794
Posts9,729,223
Members87,042
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12
Re: Your opinion on High fence deer vs low fence deer? [Re: Rebel986] #6608929 12/31/16 03:26 AM
D6Ranch Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
I haven't read all the pages yet but has anyone asked if hunting 100acres low fence is more sporting than 5k acres high fenced? Are the animals more tame on one place vs the other?

What about a 20k acre low fence place? Are those deer tame as tame as 20k acre high fenced deer?

Re: Your opinion on High fence deer vs low fence deer? [Re: HCHunter28] #6608943 12/31/16 03:42 AM
M
MarkE Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: HCHunter28

If you're just waiting for the deer to come to you, does it really matter where the deer are?

Fish in a barrel, fish in the sea. What difference does it make.....a fish is a fish, right? I think that I'm getting it now!
This free range, fair chase thing is over rated. We have guns, feeders, and blinds anyway. Since we have such an unfair advantage, why not high fence them too. We can have total control and congratulate ourselves when we kill a deer we raised. Impressive!

Re: Your opinion on High fence deer vs low fence deer? [Re: D6Ranch] #6608951 12/31/16 03:53 AM
H
HCHunter28 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
Originally Posted By: D6Ranch
I haven't read all the pages yet but has anyone asked if hunting 100acres low fence is more sporting than 5k acres high fenced? Are the animals more tame on one place vs the other?

What about a 20k acre low fence place? Are those deer tame as tame as 20k acre high fenced deer?

High fenced or not. Deer get tame from no hunting pressure and constant positive human interaction like spreading corn from your truck. On 500 acres hf, when I have to cull 20+ deer in a season, the deer disappear. I've also been on low fence ranches when deer would walk into the road to see if we were spreading corn. It was our first year on the place and it had not been hunted other than the landowner for years. We had a mature 150 class buck that hung out on the road about 400 yards from our cabin. No one wanted to shoot him by the time the season started because he was so tame and they were looking for bigger. The landowner ended up shooting him. He was the 3rd biggest deer out of 6 trophy bucks taken.

If I drove through my place and spread corn everyday from my truck I probably could condition my deer but you can do the same thing everywhere.

Re: Your opinion on High fence deer vs low fence deer? [Re: D6Ranch] #6608973 12/31/16 04:05 AM
M
MarkE Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
M

re: sporting - lookup P&Y and B&C book qualifications.

Re: Your opinion on High fence deer vs low fence deer? [Re: MarkE] #6608990 12/31/16 04:16 AM
H
HCHunter28 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
Originally Posted By: MarkE

If you're just waiting for the deer to come to you, does it really matter where the deer are?

Fish in a barrel, fish in the sea. What difference does it make.....a fish is a fish, right? I think that I'm getting it now!
This free range, fair chase thing is over rated. We have guns, feeders, and blinds anyway. Since we have such an unfair advantage, why not high fence them too. We can have total control and congratulate ourselves when we kill a deer we raised. Impressive!

I'm sensing sarcasm. It's more like fish in a lake or fish in the sea.

High fence is a management tool just like proteining, culling or letting the population mature. B&C does not let high fence into the record books, because it usually does not represent the quality of deer in the area. It's not because they don't consider it fair chase (I'm not talking about kill pens). They excluded them so they could have a better representation of management practices as a whole in the area. B&C was started for a management tool, not purely for bragging rights.

It's true deer inside a fence are usually better quality than the ones on the outside. Why because we have a better chance of bringing all of the other management tools together.

Re: Your opinion on High fence deer vs low fence deer? [Re: Rebel986] #6608995 12/31/16 04:20 AM
E
esnow74 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
E
Dunno, hunted both and enjoyed both. The HF I hunted I picked a deer from tail cams and decided to only harvest that one deer. It took me 2 different trips in the season to find that buck but had chances on what seemed to be every other buck in the county before the last minute of several straight all day hunts in almost every stand location on two different multi day trips. The target buck this year on LF showed up like clockwork on opening weekend of bow season, also hunted 300 acres LF that you could decide the day and sit that you wanted to harvest your target buck......... sooooooooo?

Re: Your opinion on High fence deer vs low fence deer? [Re: MarkE] #6609031 12/31/16 04:49 AM
H
HCHunter28 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H

re: sporting - lookup P&Y and B&C book qualifications.

Since you brought up the record books. Have you ever noticed that some of the best elk/mule deer trophy units have ski resorts in them. When I go skiing, I love seeing all of the huge elk and mule deer. Some lucky guy drew the tag to shoot one of those tame monsters. Is it considered fair chase because you waited 20 years for a tag?

Re: Your opinion on High fence deer vs low fence deer? [Re: MarkE] #6609105 12/31/16 07:56 AM
T
Texas Tatonkas Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: wtr
What's more impressive a 200+ inch HF deer or a 160+ inch LF deer?

The "deer" on the HF place may be more impressive, but its not impressive in any way, shape, or form for the hunter to shoot the deer in the pen, period. Just my opinion.

Great point. I live to impress people. You should be like me, because my way is right. Everything you do should be directed at impressing people. Do this, then you are a real hunter.

Re: Your opinion on High fence deer vs low fence deer? [Re: esnow74] #6609170 12/31/16 01:30 PM
M
MarkE Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: esnow74
Dunno, hunted both and enjoyed both. The HF I hunted I picked a deer from tail cams and decided to only harvest that one deer. It took me 2 different trips in the season to find that buck but had chances on what seemed to be every other buck in the county before the last minute of several straight all day hunts in almost every stand location on two different multi day trips. The target buck this year on LF showed up like clockwork on opening weekend of bow season, also hunted 300 acres LF that you could decide the day and sit that you wanted to harvest your target buck......... sooooooooo?

Great point. Good thing he was in a high fence or you might have had to make a few more trips with no guarantee.

Re: Your opinion on High fence deer vs low fence deer? [Re: MarkE] #6609185 12/31/16 01:44 PM
J
JJH Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J

Mark: reading your posts:

good thing we have you to educate us on right and wrong

If you don't go after deer with with a sharp stick, wearing a loin cloth, you're a hypocrite and not a real hunter. hammer

Why do you care so much how other people spend their free time?

Re: Your opinion on High fence deer vs low fence deer? [Re: MarkE] #6609231 12/31/16 02:20 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P

I'm impressed with your ability to consistently make stupid points. hammer

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Your opinion on High fence deer vs low fence deer? [Re: Rebel986] #6609457 12/31/16 04:54 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
The height of the fence has nothing to do with how tame a deer is. It is how they are treated all 365 days of the year. If we spend a lot of time at our place all year long, the deer are not as wild acting as most places. If they see the pickup, they know we are corning the road and start lining up like cattle after we drive through to eat the corn. It's proves Pavlov's Theory.

One side of our place has no fence, it is a cotton field, the other 3 sides are 4 foot goat wire and 2 strands of barbwire. Low fence and no fence, it makes no difference as to how wild or tame the deer are.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Your opinion on High fence deer vs low fence deer? [Re: dogcatcher] #6609477 12/31/16 05:02 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Man regurgitating this topic over and over gets old - same ole stuff

Hunt how and where you want as long as it is within the game laws and makes you happy

Forum needs to add a new topic - "LF vs HF"

You can't fix stupid
Re: Your opinion on High fence deer vs low fence deer? [Re: Hunt n Fish] #6609570 12/31/16 06:05 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted By: Hunt n Fish
popcorn Well we almost made it another year!

Next will be another debate on which is best .308 or 30.06... loser8

Re: Your opinion on High fence deer vs low fence deer? [Re: SapperTitan] #6609603 12/31/16 06:43 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
Originally Posted By: Hunt n Fish
popcorn Well we almost made it another year!

Next will be another debate on which is best .308 or 30.06... loser8

When road hunting, I would prefer the 22 short, quiet enough it doesn't waken the area landowners. clap

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Your opinion on High fence deer vs low fence deer? [Re: Rebel986] #6609628 12/31/16 07:08 PM
T
Toepuncher Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
HF's matter to people who believe that a basic, fundamental, undeniable tenet of fair chase hunting is that the animals being pursued are not confined within a fence. For those of us who share this viewpoint, most of the stuff brought up by HF proponents (feeders, tameness, hunting with sharp sticks, etc.) is simply irrelevant noise.

Re: Your opinion on High fence deer vs low fence deer? [Re: Toepuncher] #6609633 12/31/16 07:24 PM
J
JJH Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Sounds like: "don't confuse me with facts, my mind's made up"

Re: Your opinion on High fence deer vs low fence deer? [Re: Toepuncher] #6609635 12/31/16 07:26 PM
H
HCHunter28 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
Originally Posted By: Toepuncher
HF's matter to people who believe that a basic, fundamental, undeniable tenet of fair chase hunting is that the animals being pursued are not confined within a fence. For those of us who share this viewpoint, most of the stuff brought up by HF proponents (feeders, tameness, hunting with sharp sticks, etc.) is simply irrelevant noise.

You're saying the only thing that matters for fair chase is that the deer could leave and be shot by your neighbor? Do you know how ridiculous that sounds. What about a high fenced ranch leased by 10 different hunters. If there is 1 trophy buck on the ranch, only one hunter gets him. I don't see how that is any different.

Re: Your opinion on High fence deer vs low fence deer? [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #6609676 12/31/16 08:17 PM
M
MarkE Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

I'm impressed with your ability to consistently make stupid points. hammer

I bet you are. With over 11,000 posts in 4 years, I can tell you must read them all. I'm impressed that you have such an exuberant amount of spare time to kill.

Re: Your opinion on High fence deer vs low fence deer? [Re: HCHunter28] #6609682 12/31/16 08:22 PM
M
MarkE Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
M

You're saying the only thing that matters for fair chase is that the deer could leave and be shot by your neighbor?

YES, fair chase means the deer can leave; it's not captive. Yes, it means you don't have 100% control.

Re: Your opinion on High fence deer vs low fence deer? [Re: MarkE] #6609703 12/31/16 08:42 PM
H
HCHunter28 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H

You're saying the only thing that matters for fair chase is that the deer could leave and be shot by your neighbor?

YES, fair chase means the deer can leave; it's not captive. Yes, it means you don't have 100% control.

Free range and fair chase are different. You are confusing them.

Re: Your opinion on High fence deer vs low fence deer? [Re: HCHunter28] #6609728 12/31/16 09:12 PM
M
MarkE Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
M

FAIR CHASE, as defined by the Boone and Crockett Club, is the ethical, sportsmanlike, and lawful pursuit and taking of any free-ranging wild, native North American big game animal in a manner that does not give the hunter an improper advantage over such animals. HUNTER ETHICS."

Re: Your opinion on High fence deer vs low fence deer? [Re: tlk] #6609768 12/31/16 09:34 PM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: tlk
Man regurgitating this topic over and over gets old - same ole stuff

Hunt how and where you want as long as it is within the game laws and makes you happy

Forum needs to ban a topic - "LF vs HF"

Fixed it. At this point, this and some of the other hot button topics serve only one purpose - to get people at each other's throats. Very counterproductive when we have so many other groups who would love nothing more than to see the pastime we love so much disappear. But, it sucks people in every time.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Your opinion on High fence deer vs low fence deer? [Re: MarkE] #6609780 12/31/16 09:40 PM
T
Texas Tatonkas Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T

FAIR CHASE, as defined by the Boone and Crockett Club, is the ethical, sportsmanlike, and lawful pursuit and taking of any free-ranging wild, native North American big game animal in a manner that does not give the hunter an improper advantage over such animals. HUNTER ETHICS."

Is hiding in an elevated blind over a pile of corn that the deer have been trained to come to on a timer fair chase? Just want to clarify, you seem to be hunter supreme on here so I want to make sure I am doing whatever it you say I should do to be a real hunter. To me a timed feeder would be an improper advantage, but again, you tell me and I'll go with it.

Re: Your opinion on High fence deer vs low fence deer? [Re: Texas Tatonkas] #6609787 12/31/16 09:46 PM
M
MarkE Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: Texas Tatonkas
[quote=HCHunter28]

Is hiding in an elevated blind over a pile of corn that the deer have been trained to come to on a timer fair chase? Just want to clarify, you seem to be hunter supreme on here so I want to make sure I am doing whatever it you say I should do to be a real hunter. To me a timed feeder would be an improper advantage, but again, you tell me and I'll go with it.

Nothing compares to captivity. That defines unfair advantage. It is what it is any which way you slice it. A huge majority agrees with this.

Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide