Forums45
Topics436,046
Posts6,328,421
Members65,641
Most Online16,728
Mar 25th, 2012
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Pension Problems an epidemic. Not just Dallas [Re: Roll-Tide] #6586531 12/14/16 04:58 PM
K
Kahuna Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
K
SS would be self sufficient if LBJ and every president and congress since had kept their hands out of the till!

Re: Pension Problems an epidemic. Not just Dallas [Re: Hancock] #6586905 12/14/16 09:52 PM
N
ndhunter Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
N
Originally Posted By: Hancock
Texas teachers have a great retirement compared to a similar contributions going to SS. Not quite as good as state but it beats SS on all counts.

If Social Security is what you are comparing it to then yeah..teachers are rolling in the cash when they retire. That is why everyone wants to be a teacher.

Re: Pension Problems an epidemic. Not just Dallas [Re: Kahuna] #6586981 12/14/16 10:44 PM
C
Chris42 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: Kahuna
SS would be self sufficient if LBJ and every president and congress since had kept their hands out of the till!

Not trying to hijack this thread, but that is a lie. SS was set up as a ponzi scheme, put into poor investments, and the Baby Boomers decided to have very few children,

That is the reason why social security is insolvement. Nothing more sinister than that. There is a big lie going around that the fund has been pillaged, because it makes people who draw on SS, think they have a right to SS feel better. The truth is that SS is no different than welfare, and a burden on working people. In the future, payments will be reduced. People who depend on SS are SOL.

Re: Pension Problems an epidemic. Not just Dallas [Re: ndhunter] #6586990 12/14/16 10:51 PM
H
Hancock Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted By: ndhunter
Texas teachers have a great retirement compared to a similar contributions going to SS. Not quite as good as state but it beats SS on all counts.

If Social Security is what you are comparing it to then yeah..teachers are rolling in the cash when they retire. That is why everyone wants to be a teacher.

Math teachers have it figured out.

Re: Pension Problems an epidemic. Not just Dallas [Re: Chris42] #6587056 12/14/16 11:27 PM
K
Kahuna Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: Chris42
Originally Posted By: Kahuna

Not trying to hijack this thread, but that is a lie. SS was set up as a ponzi scheme, put into poor investments, and the Baby Boomers decided to have very few children,

That is the reason why social security is insolvement. Nothing more sinister than that. There is a big lie going around that the fund has been pillaged, because it makes people who draw on SS, think they have a right to SS feel better. The truth is that SS is no different than welfare, and a burden on working people. In the future, payments will be reduced. People who depend on SS are SOL.
you sir are full of prunes! It was stand alone til Lyndon tapped it for VN war. And it's been tapped ever since. I collect from it, but never depended on it.

Re: Pension Problems an epidemic. Not just Dallas [Re: Roll-Tide] #6587078 12/14/16 11:38 PM
G
General Guts Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G
SS money goes into the General Fund pot...

Re: Pension Problems an epidemic. Not just Dallas [Re: General Guts] #6587119 12/15/16 12:03 AM
K
Kahuna Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: General Guts
SS money goes into the General Fund pot...
^^^^this^^^^

Re: Pension Problems an epidemic. Not just Dallas [Re: Roll-Tide] #6587713 12/15/16 12:37 PM
D
Dave Davidson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
You are right Kahuna. I'm old enough to remember LBJ hitting the SS "TRUST" fund. He needed $ to fight the Vietnam war and couldn't raise taxes. So, he/they grabbed the cash and made it a general obligation of the US Government. Of course, a lot of guv armament suppliers were pushing for it. Anytime $ is available, somebody is going after it.

Corporate pensions were once funded by the employer. I recall sitting in a college finance class when the Prof said that all corporate pension funds should be invested(self supporting) instead of the company having to make payments to it. I asked what would happen if the investments were unwise or the stock/bond market tanked. His reply was that they needed to assure that good financial management would keep that from happening. Yeah, RIGHT! That didn't happen.

The next step was that employees should contribute to their own retirement and the company would outsource management of the fund to the appropriate financial advisors. In some cases that has worked and in others it hasn't. But I don't recall anyone ever going to jail over "changes in the market".

Last edited by Dave Davidson; 12/15/16 12:59 PM.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Pension Problems an epidemic. Not just Dallas [Re: Roll-Tide] #6587790 12/15/16 01:33 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
The vast majority of folks wouldn't have a dime if they had complete control over their retirement. Because they would "raid" it just like the government has with SS. Or mismanage it just like so many pension boards do.

Seen it with my own eyes with our own employees. Had to change plans because of it to take away their "control".

Originally Posted By: Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Pension Problems an epidemic. Not just Dallas [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6587970 12/15/16 03:35 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
The vast majority of folks wouldn't have a dime if they had complete control over their retirement. Because they would "raid" it just like the government has with SS. Or mismanage it just like so many pension boards do.

Seen it with my own eyes with our own employees. Had to change plans because of it to take away their "control".

What's wrong with people "raiding" their benefits??

Why do you think someone like you or I or some govt entity ought to be "in charge" of peoples benefits?

What's wrong with teaching people personal fiscal responsibility by letting them see examples of total failures???

Local Churches and charities ought to be responsible for bare bone necessities for people too stupid to prepare for retirement. And they ought to educate the public with those examples.

I don't want to be your nanny and I don't want you being mine.

Galveston county got it right. Opted out of social security and put the money in a third party's hands to prevent robbing.

Oh, and just in case you or Sniper think I'm picking on you alone, make no mistake, I know that "republicans" are just as sorry as democrats in stealing money from us in taxes and then stealing it again by robbing SS.

http://www.easystreetinvesting.com/galveston-vs-social-security-53736

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Pension Problems an epidemic. Not just Dallas [Re: therancher] #6588085 12/15/16 04:41 PM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: therancher

Why do you think someone like you or I or some govt entity ought to be "in charge" of peoples benefits?

What's wrong with teaching people personal fiscal responsibility by letting them see examples of total failures???

Local Churches and charities ought to be responsible for bare bone necessities for people too stupid to prepare for retirement. And they ought to educate the public with those examples.

Galveston county got it right. Opted out of social security and put the money in a third party's hands to prevent robbing.

Oh, and just in case you or Sniper think I'm picking on you alone, make no mistake, I know that "republicans" are just as sorry as democrats in stealing money from us in taxes and then stealing it again by robbing SS.

Rusty don't ever use my name in the same sentence with HIM ever rofl

I will get in a Truck and drive to you and beat you with a Hover Board till you pee Blood for a Month rofl roflmao

EVER USE MY NAME along with him...we have NOTHING in Common barf barf barf

Re: Pension Problems an epidemic. Not just Dallas [Re: SniperRAB] #6588095 12/15/16 04:43 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: SniperRAB

I will get in a Truck and drive to you and beat you with a Hover Board till you pee Blood for a Month rofl roflmao

Just how biga boy are you?

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Pension Problems an epidemic. Not just Dallas [Re: therancher] #6588096 12/15/16 04:44 PM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S

That's the "I am Superior" attitude and the Elitist Mentality roflmao

Re: Pension Problems an epidemic. Not just Dallas [Re: Roll-Tide] #6588153 12/15/16 05:06 PM
B
BigPig Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
popcorn

Re: Pension Problems an epidemic. Not just Dallas [Re: therancher] #6588182 12/15/16 05:21 PM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: SniperRAB

Just how biga boy are you?

Keep in mind your Son will not wear socks with Dress Shoes rofl

Re: Pension Problems an epidemic. Not just Dallas [Re: SniperRAB] #6589375 12/16/16 01:12 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
My son has California blood in his veins. And it ain't from my side.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Pension Problems an epidemic. Not just Dallas [Re: therancher] #6589427 12/16/16 01:49 PM
N
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N

If someone works for me, from 8 to 5 I am their "nanny". Like it or not. If they don't like it, they can go find another "nanny" or be their own "nanny". Their choice.

As employer, I get to decide their compensation and retirement plan options. If they aren't satisfied, see above sentence.

Retirement plans are set up for their retirement (kinda makes sense, don't it?). They were taking the money and buying cars and going on vacations with it. Taking it out of their control until a certain time is doing them a favor. Again, as employer, that's my option. It's my money first, so I have control over how it's paid out. I'm completely "in charge" of everything related to their employment - including compensation. If they are unhappy, see sentence #1 again.

Our turnover is virtually zero. They must think I'm a pretty darn good "nanny".

So, how about this? You run your chit, and I'll run mine.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Pension Problems an epidemic. Not just Dallas [Re: Roll-Tide] #6589447 12/16/16 01:57 PM
J
Jkd106 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
The fact is the City knew this was coming years ago, if they didn't, they were idiots. The fire fighters did, they knew about 10 years ago that a high percentage of the firefighters would be eligible for retirement around the same time. I am sure police also. No way they could take that large of a hit at once on a self sustained plan. My department as well as majority of state is TMRS, they never guaranteed we will retire as millionaires, but we will have a pension.

Re: Pension Problems an epidemic. Not just Dallas [Re: Jkd106] #6589482 12/16/16 02:15 PM
N
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: Jkd106
The fact is the City knew this was coming years ago, if they didn't, they were idiots. The fire fighters did, they knew about 10 years ago that a high percentage of the firefighters would be eligible for retirement around the same time. I am sure police also. No way they could take that large of a hit at once on a self sustained plan. My department as well as majority of state is TMRS, they never guaranteed we will retire as millionaires, but we will have a pension.

They either did, or should have. Same for the state. Same for the independent local pension board. Same for the employees who elected the members of the board that ran it into the ground.

As said before, lots of blame to go around.

All of which is water under the bridge at this point, except in the arguments to come about whether it will be Dallas and/or Texas taxpayers that will get the bill. My guess is some combination of both.

Re: Pension Problems an epidemic. Not just Dallas [Re: Roll-Tide] #6589511 12/16/16 02:31 PM
J
Jkd106 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
I hope it is not a combination, as where state contributes. Don't get me wrong, I want them to get a good pension, I have friends who work there, but as a municipality and it's employs they voted to opt out of TMRS. They had ideas of better returns and larger pensions, in which they accomplished for years. But now they shouldn't come back and say you guys with your smaller safe pensions need to help us out of this mess we voted for.

Re: Pension Problems an epidemic. Not just Dallas [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6590657 12/17/16 04:12 AM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

If someone works for me, from 8 to 5 I am their "nanny". Like it or not. If they don't like it, they can go find another "nanny" or be their own "nanny". Their choice.

As employer, I get to decide their compensation and retirement plan options. If they aren't satisfied, see above sentence.

Retirement plans are set up for their retirement (kinda makes sense, don't it?). They were taking the money and buying cars and going on vacations with it. Taking it out of their control until a certain time is doing them a favor. Again, as employer, that's my option. It's my money first, so I have control over how it's paid out. I'm completely "in charge" of everything related to their employment - including compensation. If they are unhappy, see sentence #1 again.

Our turnover is virtually zero. They must think I'm a pretty darn good "nanny".

So, how about this? You run your chit, and I'll run mine.

God bless this country. People as ignorant as you can employ people. You as an employer aren't a "nanny" to your employees. They work for you for money, and you pay them. End of story.

The fed in the case of SS has absolutely nothing to do with you or your employees. You wanting the fed to force fiscal responsibility on idiots is when you become a nanny.

Local govts. administering a retirement program that is light years ahead of fed disasters disturbs you. No surprise.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Pension Problems an epidemic. Not just Dallas [Re: Roll-Tide] #6590732 12/17/16 05:50 AM
H
Hancock Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Democrat mentality on full display there.

Re: Pension Problems an epidemic. Not just Dallas [Re: Hancock] #6590742 12/17/16 06:09 AM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Democrat mentality on full display there.

Thankfully he is banned and we get a couple weeks reprieve from his drivel

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2019 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide