Page 1 of 263 1 2 3 262 263
Longhorn Lounge. #6492926 10/12/16 11:43 PM
S
S.A. hunter Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
For Texas Longhorn fans. Post your news, opinions, pictures, and information. Please don't feed the trolls. Let's try and keep on topic.

Campbell comes out in support of Charlie Strong.
http://texas.247sports.com/Bolt/Earl-Campbell-comes-out-in-full-support-of-Charlie-Strong-48199121

Re: Longhorn Lounge. [Re: S.A. hunter] #6493176 10/13/16 02:21 AM
T
TexasOutfitters Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Heard today on radio that all of the BMDs fron Houston to Dallas are on same page and it's not good for CS.
When Mack was fired he still had support. I would rather all the $ guys be on same page.

He has to win 8 and I don't see it but I could be wrong.

Re: Longhorn Lounge. [Re: S.A. hunter] #6493313 10/13/16 03:59 AM
H
HillbillyDeluxe Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
I've said it and I'll say it again.....he deserves through next season. Main reason is they are YOUNG thanks to good recruiting and the exodus of a lot of older players. 14 FR/SO starters against OU. I think he recruits well and resonates with the players. Plus I think he deserves the rest of this season and next with some real potential at QB, something UT hasn't had in a while.

My main criticism is he has stuck with some of his coaches too long, i.e. Bedford as DC. Although the OC has done a good job this year. I think he needs to finish strong this season, make a bowl game, and contend next year for the B12 title and be a serious top 10 team throughout to keep his job. They have the talent to do just that. If that doesn't work out....and maybe it won't....then it's back to the drawing board.

Re: Longhorn Lounge. [Re: S.A. hunter] #6493318 10/13/16 04:08 AM
Bee'z Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Online Happy
The Beedazzler
I have never said anything about this subject but I think Charlie can do it. When Earl Campbell and a 5 star recruit wants to play for you Coach Strong I take notice. Boosters want wins now but turning this around that fast is not feasible. Texas recruited some very good players this last year so this is just the start. Let Charlie do what he does best and quite threatening his job because that takes his eye away from what he needs to be doing. Make Texas Strong again.

[Linked Image]
Re: Longhorn Lounge. [Re: S.A. hunter] #6493341 10/13/16 04:36 AM
S
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Samf what station? The horn?

HillbillyDeluxe, 2Beez. He hasn't made all the right moves. Especially when it comes to coaches. Like Watson and that fast paced offense he unveiled lol. Also some of his game time decisions are horrendous. With that being said those kid will fight. They may not make all the right decision but they don't lack effort. At this point that's all you can ask for.

Re: Longhorn Lounge. [Re: S.A. hunter] #6493362 10/13/16 06:09 AM
T
TexasOutfitters Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
I listen to 1300 Chip and Sean in the mornings and the Horn in pm, although Kevin and Chad talk about a little of everything.
I joined HornsDigest.com and like the info from Chip and others.

I like what CS stands for. I think the offense will be fine but there is no excuse, including youth, to have the 127th (of 128) rated pass defense.
I know Texas should have scored more against Cal and OU and won the games.

But the D is so bad, it requires the O to score every time.

Off is averaging 41 pts/game. Last yr was 24.6 pts/game. Defense is worse and it's the same DBs from last year - Haines, Hall, Elliot, Hill, Boyd and Davis

One thing I've never liked is Charlie's in-game decisions. But we'll see how it plays out. I would love to see a run and finish 8-4, 9-3

Re: Longhorn Lounge. [Re: S.A. hunter] #6493427 10/13/16 11:57 AM
M
majekman Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
M
Strong came with the rep as a defensive guru. After Cal game he announces he's getting more involved on the D side and then claims he's going to call D plays. Well, if that's the case....its a sad situation. D players are lacking basic skill sets. Their technique is unbalanced, tackling is horrible and they look like a JV HS squad with their angles.....it's so obvious these kids are simply not getting coached up. My point being, Strong flapped his gums about getting more involved on D side and since then they have gotten much worse.
UT needs to part ways with Strong. He will never come close to meeting expectations of UT or for that matter any top shelf program.... 2cents

Re: Longhorn Lounge. [Re: S.A. hunter] #6493621 10/13/16 02:20 PM
H
horndale11 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
My friend is a Red Raider and I have for years wondered how hard would it be to have to rely on your offense only to win games.
Now I know, and I hate it.

Listening to B & E this morning they made a good point. A lot of the sophomores that played great last year, have regressed.
Devante Davis, Holton Hill, John Burt, Malik Jefferson.......
A lot of their bad play is not coaching.
Maybe there is something to a Sophomore slump.

Re: Longhorn Lounge. [Re: TexasOutfitters] #6493631 10/13/16 02:23 PM
S
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: SamF
I listen to 1300 Chip and Sean in the mornings and the Horn in pm, although Kevin and Chad talk about a little of everything.
I joined HornsDigest.com and like the info from Chip and others.

I like what CS stands for. I think the offense will be fine but there is no excuse, including youth, to have the 127th (of 128) rated pass defense.
I know Texas should have scored more against Cal and OU and won the games.

But the D is so bad, it requires the O to score every time.

Off is averaging 41 pts/game. Last yr was 24.6 pts/game. Defense is worse and it's the same DBs from last year - Haines, Hall, Elliot, Hill, Boyd and Davis

One thing I've never liked is Charlie's in-game decisions. But we'll see how it plays out. I would love to see a run and finish 8-4, 9-3

What no one talks about, and I think is the biggest problem with this defense. The D line they get no pressure up the middle allowing the QB to stay in the pocket aND pick apart the defense. The only way they are generating pressure is bring it off the edge via Roach and Hager the fox ends, or the occasional safety blitz.

Paul Boyette has 1 sack, Chris Daniels has 0, Poona Ford has 0, Gerald Wilbon 0.

Last year they were able to get pressure up the middle. Ridgeway, Ford, Jackson. In the cotton bowl last year Mayfield was running scared. This year not so much. They brought in some big boys on the defensive side in recruiting last year but they are not ready to go. I think the only one that has seen the field is Giles.

Re: Longhorn Lounge. [Re: horndale11] #6493652 10/13/16 02:39 PM
S
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: horndale11
My friend is a Red Raider and I have for years wondered how hard would it be to have to rely on your offense only to win games.
Now I know, and I hate it.

Listening to B & E this morning they made a good point. A lot of the sophomores that played great last year, have regressed.
Devante Davis, Holton Hill, John Burt, Malik Jefferson.......
A lot of their bad play is not coaching.
Maybe there is something to a Sophomore slump.

My son and I text back and forth during games, and in one of them I text him "we are Tech". He replies "I know it". So sad...

Got to remember they had Peter Jenkins who was the heart of the defense. He was the linebackers leader on the field, and Duke Thomas how was the corner backs leader. Both were seniors last year. I think that coupled with no pressure up the middle is the reason for the lack of good defense.

Last edited by S.A. hunter; 10/13/16 02:41 PM.
Re: Longhorn Lounge. [Re: S.A. hunter] #6493660 10/13/16 02:44 PM
J
jrgocards Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
J
I like Charlie and would like to see him get another year. Doubt it happens, but I'd like to see it. They are frustrating to watch. Worst tackling team I've ever seen and they're usually not a good tackling team.

JR

Re: Longhorn Lounge. [Re: S.A. hunter] #6493696 10/13/16 03:01 PM
H
horndale11 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
I have mixed feeling on another year.
No doubt that Charlie Strong is good man, can recruit, and runs a clean program.

During the Oklahoma State game, I realized just how badly Charlie was struggling with managing the game and I think
that is evident in his coaching hires as well.

If he loses to Iowa State (at home) again, I think the writing is on the wall.

horndale

Re: Longhorn Lounge. [Re: S.A. hunter] #6493719 10/13/16 03:21 PM
B
BenBob Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
CS needs to put his foot down to some extent and realize he needs to run the program, not the boosters, AD, or president. It is easier said than done, but he is the one that will be fired, none of the others. And on another note, how tough would it be to be fired and the U of T still owe you $10 million. He has hung some of his coaching staff out to dry the last 2 years, so I am pretty sure they are gun-shy also. Charlie needs to run the program and realize that if it does not happen, it does not happen. You take your $10 million and live to fight again. You were hired to do it your way, so do it your way Charlie Strong.

Tired, Wired, and Uninspired
Re: Longhorn Lounge. [Re: BenBob] #6493784 10/13/16 04:03 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
This thread is soooo entertaining. Thank you!

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Longhorn Lounge. [Re: therancher] #6494019 10/13/16 06:55 PM
T
TexasOutfitters Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: therancher

You can't stand it can you? Lurking in a Longhorn thread.
An Aggie that's obsessed with the Horns.

Re: Longhorn Lounge. [Re: S.A. hunter] #6494220 10/13/16 09:40 PM
S
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
I was listening to Chad and kevin. They had Dunlop on from Orange bloods. He was talking about Malik regressing. I know they are trying to sale subscriptions, but really. He stated that he was getting outplayed by Hager and roach. Texas isn't even using Malik like they did last year. He was Hager, and Roach last year. His argument couldn't be more flawed.

Last edited by S.A. hunter; 10/13/16 09:42 PM.
Re: Longhorn Lounge. [Re: S.A. hunter] #6494225 10/13/16 09:47 PM
A
A.B. Offline
Obi-Wan Kenobi
Obi-Wan Kenobi
A
Originally Posted By: S.A. hunter
I was listening to Chad and kevin. They had Dunlop on from Orange bloods. He was talking about Malik regressing. I know they are trying to sale subscriptions, but really. He stated that he was getting outplayed by Hager and roach. Texas isn't even using Malik like they did last year. He was Hager, and Roach last year. His argument couldn't be more flawed.

To a degree I will agree with them, but I think there is more to it. Jefferson is not only getting a guard coming at him, but also H backs. OU was trying to get mismatches on him all day. All eyes are on him. He is trying to do too much. It is called a soph slump. That kid is a friggin player. He will have a great college career and play on Sundays. If y'all don't want him, there is another school in Texas that would love to have him. grin

Talent is a gift, character is a decision.
Re: Longhorn Lounge. [Re: A.B.] #6494265 10/13/16 10:21 PM
T
TEXASLEFTY Online Content
THF Whiskey Sommelier
Online Content
THF Whiskey Sommelier
T
Originally Posted By: A.B.

To a degree I will agree with them, but I think there is more to it. Jefferson is not only getting a guard coming at him, but also H backs. OU was trying to get mismatches on him all day. All eyes are on him. He is trying to do too much. It is called a soph slump. That kid is a friggin player. He will have a great college career and play on Sundays. If y'all don't want him, there is another school in Texas that would love to have him. grin

Boom!

Originally Posted by Chunky Monkey
Never been to a camping world. I prefer Dick's to be honest.
Re: Longhorn Lounge. [Re: S.A. hunter] #6494292 10/13/16 10:49 PM
T
TexasOutfitters Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T

According to those who re-watched the game, Malik blitzed 24 times and got to the QB 0 times.

Of course Buechele missed 3 TD passes where they ended up with 3 pts, so the offense didn't help out after they got the ball on tunrnovers.

I don't know the answer but Texas is 127 out of 128 in pass defense efficiency and there are no excuses for that.

Why do freshmen keep beating out upper class players? Nashon Hughes and Charles Omenihu? IDK

Re: Longhorn Lounge. [Re: A.B.] #6494294 10/13/16 10:50 PM
S
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
S

Last year they used him as a weapon. They would bring him off the edge, or up the middle. Always moving him around. This year they pretty much have him playing mlb, And letting Roach and Hager come off the edges. Total different use then last but yet still want to compare him to what he did last year. Trust me he missed so many tackles last year it wasn't funny. He could of had 5 or more sacks then what he ended up with last year if he could only tackle the QB. So I'm not a Jefferson cheerleader, but come on give the kid a fair shake. That being said I will have to say that Wheeler is out playing him so far.

Last edited by S.A. hunter; 10/13/16 10:54 PM.
Re: Longhorn Lounge. [Re: TexasOutfitters] #6494299 10/13/16 10:59 PM
S
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
S

According to those who re-watched the game, Malik blitzed 24 times and got to the QB 0 times.

Of course Buechele missed 3 TD passes where they ended up with 3 pts, so the offense didn't help out after they got the ball on tunrnovers.

I don't know the answer but Texas is 127 out of 128 in pass defense efficiency and there are no excuses for that.

Why do freshmen keep beating out upper class players? Nashon Hughes and Charles Omenihu? IDK

No one got pressure up the middle unless Oklahoma wanted them to. I was keeping an eye on that when I watched it today. Unless it was a run or screen, pressure was nonexistent.

1 sack 3 tfl. No that's not one player that's the whole team. Lol

Last edited by S.A. hunter; 10/13/16 11:05 PM.
Re: Longhorn Lounge. [Re: S.A. hunter] #6494308 10/13/16 11:11 PM
A
A.B. Offline
Obi-Wan Kenobi
Obi-Wan Kenobi
A
What? You watch film? You need a hobby brother.

Talent is a gift, character is a decision.
Re: Longhorn Lounge. [Re: TexasOutfitters] #6494314 10/13/16 11:14 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: therancher

You can't stand it can you? Lurking in a Longhorn thread.
An Aggie that's obsessed with the Horns.

Yes. Yes I am. "Obsessed" with Watching the horns twist in the wind.

And really?? There's an entity that goes by "orange bloods"??

This thread just keeps on giving! clap

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Longhorn Lounge. [Re: A.B.] #6494336 10/13/16 11:29 PM
S
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
What? You watch film? You need a hobby brother.

Lol no. I work weekends so I have to record it and watch it when I have time.

Re: Longhorn Lounge. [Re: S.A. hunter] #6496733 10/15/16 09:37 PM
S
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Let's see how this goes.

Page 1 of 263 1 2 3 262 263
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread