Forums46
Topics537,785
Posts9,729,136
Members87,042
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Rather bird hunt than deer hunt? [Re: Slimpickin] #6440189 09/06/16 02:10 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
I love being able to get my brothers, their families, my family and friends all out to my place. I'll mow strips around the place find a nice shady spot back the beer truck up under the shade turn on the radio put out some mojos watch the ladies talk about how "their guys are nothing but big kids" during dove season. Dad is working the grill and Mom is sitting in her chair next to him saying "look at your boys". Lol... This is my favorite time of year! grill

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Rather bird hunt than deer hunt? [Re: dune2218] #6440194 09/06/16 02:12 PM
oldoak2000 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: dune2218
let's seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee sit in a stand for 16 days x 5 hrs per day ==80 hrs,,, and mabe pull the trigger one time.
or fire a box of shells, get your limit,,, hide it in the truck and do it again in 20 min. . I know which one I"d take.

I see the problem - you need a bigger truck.
I can hide 6 or 7 deer in mine before it gets 'full' !!! nuts

Re: Rather bird hunt than deer hunt? [Re: Slimpickin] #6440202 09/06/16 02:16 PM
W
woodduckhunter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
W
bird hunting of any kind by far. I still deer hut periodically in the afternoons, more or less duck scouting with a rifle with me just in case. I just can't get fired up about todays deer hunting in texas.(mulies out west or out of state is a different animal) You might as well go shoot a brangus yearlin at a creep feeder, same level of difficulty, cheaper, more meat, and it tastes better.

Re: Rather bird hunt than deer hunt? [Re: Slimpickin] #6440242 09/06/16 02:40 PM
T
Tex68w Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
I'm gad I'm not the only one who thinks venison is low on the desirability table.

Re: Rather bird hunt than deer hunt? [Re: hook_n_line] #6442020 09/07/16 04:44 PM
Duck_Hunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: hook_n_line
I love being able to get my brothers, their families, my family and friends all out to my place. I'll mow strips around the place find a nice shady spot back the beer truck up under the shade turn on the radio put out some mojos watch the ladies talk about how "their guys are nothing but big kids" during dove season. Dad is working the grill and Mom is sitting in her chair next to him saying "look at your boys". Lol... This is my favorite time of year! grill

Sounds awesome.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Re: Rather bird hunt than deer hunt? [Re: Duck_Hunter] #6442212 09/07/16 06:35 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted By: Duck_Hunter
Originally Posted By: hook_n_line

Sounds awesome.

It is really awesome because my parents have hit their 70's and still come out for the dove hunts.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Rather bird hunt than deer hunt? [Re: Fishuhalik] #6443178 09/08/16 04:12 AM
bermise Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted By: Fishuhalik
Originally Posted By: BDB
Deer hunting is actually hunting. Dove "hunting" is just skeet shooting, but you can eat your target. For me, I shoot dove cuz they're delicious and a good warm-up for duck season. Thats about it

I have found sense moving to tx in 89 that very few deer hunters "hunt" for deer. I'm not knocking it cause I do it to but lets call it what it is. I have a very average 8 pt I shot in 96 in N.E. Tx with my selfbow in a "tree stand" (sitting on limbs) in a natural funnel with no feeder anywhere to be found. Its my most special trophy. That deer died about 150 yards from the spot I cut the tree down to make the bow I took back and ended his life with. I have P/Y animals, caribou, elk etc. That 8 pointer is my trophy.

Agree 100%. I haven't hunted deer since I moved here in '14 from Minnesota. There's no challenge. You have to feed to have deer on your property, and I have no desire to stand over a pile of corn and kill a deer while it's eating supper. To each their own, but if I'm gonna deer hunt, it's gonna be fair chase. With that said, I might shoot a doe or two this year off a buds property, but just cuz it's cheap meat to fill my freezer.

Yanks hunt a cornfield full of corn and then bash Texans for hunting feeders. What's the difference? The cornfield is not natural, it is man made & maintained just like a feeder pen.

Re: Rather bird hunt than deer hunt? [Re: Ramball36] #6443273 09/08/16 11:39 AM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: Ramball36
Everybody I know thinks I'm crazy bc I don't have a stand and feeder on my place, we've seen some good deer out back but I just don't care enough to try em. I will however wake up at 1:30 to drive 2 hrs for 6 ducks

Hey ole buddy ole pal.

Re: Rather bird hunt than deer hunt? [Re: ducknbass] #6443354 09/08/16 01:13 PM
R
Ramball36 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: ducknbass
Everybody I know thinks I'm crazy bc I don't have a stand and feeder on my place, we've seen some good deer out back but I just don't care enough to try em. I will however wake up at 1:30 to drive 2 hrs for 6 ducks

Hey ole buddy ole pal.

Season lease for $200/acre

Re: Rather bird hunt than deer hunt? [Re: Ramball36] #6443357 09/08/16 01:18 PM
garrett Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: ducknbass

Hey ole buddy ole pal.

Season lease for $200/acre

lodging?

Attention rickym, this is not a troll post, just a good hearted fun type of post
Re: Rather bird hunt than deer hunt? [Re: Ramball36] #6443365 09/08/16 01:28 PM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
That's about the rate for collin county!
My stand and feeder only take up about 100 square feet. I'll do the math, checks on the way! roflmao

Last edited by ducknbass; 09/08/16 01:29 PM.
Re: Rather bird hunt than deer hunt? [Re: Tex68w] #6443913 09/08/16 07:38 PM
M
MS1454 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: Grandpa Lee
I enjoy bird hunting over hunting with a rifle by far. I enjoy watching the dogs work and the stalk and lack of a guarantee.

Originally Posted By: Fooshman
I'll take a Black Female every time.

Re: Rather bird hunt than deer hunt? [Re: MS1454] #6443954 09/08/16 08:08 PM
R
RLoving1 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Each has it's own niches to differnt folks. I enjoy hunting, the chance of lots of shots at dove to the solitude and peace while deer hunting. It's being afield and the seasons changing and type game changing with weather changes is what gets me going.Wouldn't pick one over the other since bother mean something special to me for it's own reasons.

Brayden (Lazy L's Southern Comfort) you will be missed! You were more than a pet you were my reason to rise and return for many days! You were my rock!
12/26/03-10/25/13
Re: Rather bird hunt than deer hunt? [Re: Slimpickin] #6445427 09/09/16 08:22 PM
A
Alan S. Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
Dove season use to always kick me into gear for the season and remind me that the heat of summer Would actually end at some point.
Few dove hunts, Some teal and then I'm out looking for something mo' bigger.
Lots of shooting, BS'ing, Way easier to get into for the money. Good Stuff !

Actually I would rather hunt both. . .

Re: Rather bird hunt than deer hunt? [Re: Slimpickin] #6445977 09/10/16 02:46 AM
S
scubaarchery Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
I was in the army stationed at Fort Knox Kentucky and used to hunt deer exclusively. I would spend months scouting and hunting. With all tags I could and did kill 6 deer a year, some were does because there were doe tags only. I enjoyed blackstrap fried in Tony's and flour and also made tons of summer sausage. Hunting was easy because there was plenty of food, red oaks, white oaks, corn and soybeans. I hunted with a friend but basically that means we drove to the woods together.

I got into wild turkey hunting there which is still my passion. I usually hunt with a buddy and we work together to call in a tom. It's social, exiting because you call in the bird and pretty exciting when they are gobbling.

Duck hunting is my next favorite. I like the ability to call in or decoy the birds, it is very social, we get plenty of shots and I get to work the dog.

I do not deer hunt anymore primarily because it takes away from duck and the land is too expensive. If it was more convenient, I might reconsider but I will stick to ducks and turkey for now.

Catch more hybrids, sand-bass and striper with the Thump’emup Thumper!
www.thumpemupfishing.com
Re: Rather bird hunt than deer hunt? [Re: Slimpickin] #6446264 09/10/16 03:10 PM
L
LarryCopper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
I love it all for very different reasons!

Dove, lots of action and fun to have a few beers and BS with family and friends. It kicks off the new season.

Duck, I get a big kick out of the strategy involved. Being out on the water at sunrise, watching them cup up over the dekes, and watching the dogs. I hunt duck the most cuz that is what I can do locally.

Deer hunting is like a vacation. It's the only thing where I routinely leave home for several days at at time. Me, my brother, and my son... all the boys without the mom or daughter filter. It's where I've always treated my son like an adult, where he first drove a truck and had a sip of beer (not at the same time). It's also different because to me all the "hunting" fun is in the prep work. Don't get me wrong, when a shooter walks out I get amped up, but pulling the trigger isn't the challenge. I also prefer venison to duck meat... process them myself and end up eating deer at least a few times a week all year round.

Spring turkey is one of my favorite things to do. Duck season has been over a while, kind of gettin' the itch to be in the woods. Working a gobbler in with the call is really rewarding. There's nothing like having one gobbling away as he gets closer... so loud you can feel it.

Quail... what is that? If they were still around in good numbers anywhere close to me I would spend a lot of time doing it. I have a very well trained Brittany, but she only gets on birds once or twice a year. I love watching her work, it's like a switch goes off in her head when she hits the field. It's what she lives for.

Hogs are good for something to do in the off season. Every lease I've been on has had a ton of them. I have two rules: (1) I'm not cleaning a nasty arsed hog if it's over 75 degrees outside and (2) anything big is just getting the backstraps taken out. They're a PITA to clean.

Predator hunting is something I admit I'm not good at. I've got calls and lights but it never seems to work out for me. Maybe I shouldn't drink as much beer, but it does happen at night while I'm at the lease so prolly not gonna happen.

Re: Rather bird hunt than deer hunt? [Re: bermise] #6448362 09/12/16 08:22 AM
F
Fishuhalik Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
F
Originally Posted By: bermise
Originally Posted By: BDB
Deer hunting is actually hunting. Dove "hunting" is just skeet shooting, but you can eat your target. For me, I shoot dove cuz they're delicious and a good warm-up for duck season. Thats about it

I have found sense moving to tx in 89 that very few deer hunters "hunt" for deer. I'm not knocking it cause I do it to but lets call it what it is. I have a very average 8 pt I shot in 96 in N.E. Tx with my selfbow in a "tree stand" (sitting on limbs) in a natural funnel with no feeder anywhere to be found. Its my most special trophy. That deer died about 150 yards from the spot I cut the tree down to make the bow I took back and ended his life with. I have P/Y animals, caribou, elk etc. That 8 pointer is my trophy.

Agree 100%. I haven't hunted deer since I moved here in '14 from Minnesota. There's no challenge. You have to feed to have deer on your property, and I have no desire to stand over a pile of corn and kill a deer while it's eating supper. To each their own, but if I'm gonna deer hunt, it's gonna be fair chase. With that said, I might shoot a doe or two this year off a buds property, but just cuz it's cheap meat to fill my freezer.

Yanks hunt a cornfield full of corn and then bash Texans for hunting feeders. What's the difference? The cornfield is not natural, it is man made & maintained just like a feeder pen.

1. All I've ever hunted for deer is big woods, so your argument is invalid.
2. You've obviously never hunted Midwestern farmland. When every piece of property within 200 miles of every direction is planted crops, you aren't hunting cornfields. You're hunting their resting areas and traffic lanes
3. I never bashed anyone for hunting feeders. It's a necessary evil in this state. If you don't feed, you won't have deer. There's really no way to have deer on your property without it

Cigarettes are like hamsters. Perfectly harmless til you put it in your mouth & light it on fire
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide