Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Stanfield Outfitters [Re: Jeff Elder] #6144175 01/20/16 02:47 AM
L
Limit Extender Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
Douche's guide service does have a ring to it.

Re: Stanfield Outfitters [Re: Ty Webb] #6144186 01/20/16 02:52 AM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
I am leaning to the beaver on this one.

Re: Stanfield Outfitters [Re: beaversnipe] #6144192 01/20/16 02:55 AM
Jeff Elder Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: beaversnipe
im not burning him, nor did i started this thread.
Sometimes a mild burn is good for you, helps you readjust and reset your priorities.
Like i said, 8 hunters ended up pissed off and were chocked the entire trip was cancelled at 9 am while the weather was just fine and the birds were there. Some guys made 1 phonecall to another local outfitter who took them out on sunday and they shot a limit within minutes. Thousands of hungry birds.
You not making the extra effort, im going somewhere else with my cash, Its that simple.

I also like to hunt with the owner of the guiding service who is as passionate as myself about Bird hunting.
It usually works better that way and is usually possible if you book long in advance.

Just like in the restaurant business, the service is usually better when the owner is there every day.
Too many out fitters are just in there for the money nowadays. Follow your passion and the money will follow.
Follow the money and things like this will happen frequently.

yawn

North central TX duck and dove hunts
www.silvercreekguideservice.com

Cell 817-597-0781
Re: Stanfield Outfitters [Re: Ty Webb] #6144197 01/20/16 02:56 AM
T
Ty Webb Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
T
Instead of starting this thread to help other hunters avoid what we went through over this past weekend, I really should've re-taken that class I skipped at school a ways back. I would've been much better equipped to deal with elder and garrett today. Oh well, you live and you learn.

Re: Stanfield Outfitters [Re: Ty Webb] #6144199 01/20/16 02:58 AM
Jeff Elder Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Oh so we are trolls because we want to hear the other side of the story..... Ok

Cell 817-597-0781
Re: Stanfield Outfitters [Re: Ty Webb] #6144201 01/20/16 02:59 AM
Jeff Elder Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I remember Ivan saying how great Jeff was and now he sucks.. Ok

Cell 817-597-0781
Re: Stanfield Outfitters [Re: Ty Webb] #6144216 01/20/16 03:06 AM
B
beaversnipe Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Never said he sucked. You reading in between the lines again.

Yes, i said good things about him in the past and sent many hunters his way. Most were happy, some not.

After 3 consecutive bad hunts (3 days each) in knox over the years, the outfitter urged me to book in oklahoma and that our group was gonna be on the top of his list.

Not.

Sometimes in life you have to forget and move along.

Trust me Jeff, if you were there with us, you would have understood. We are pretty tolerant people, but nough is nough.

Last edited by beaversnipe; 01/20/16 03:10 AM.

www.TexasPondPoppers.com
Originally Posted by bill oxner
Loved my 4 inches. Well needed.

Hate Russians. Love happy endings. I saw snot fly. cheers

Re: Stanfield Outfitters [Re: Ty Webb] #6144227 01/20/16 03:13 AM
A
Arbor Guy Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
A
That's a tough situation. I always seem to have bad luck when hiring guides(both fishing and hunting). I always seem to get my expectations too high and something goes awry in the plans about 40% of the time (Foul weather, flooding, bite stops, etc) usually through no fault of the guide.

It happens and you can't get too upset b/c there are no guarantees...but when the guides quit efforting or when I find out that I'm more interested in the trip than the guide I get irked.

Re: Stanfield Outfitters [Re: Ty Webb] #6144228 01/20/16 03:14 AM
Jeff Elder Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Ok Ivan I believe you. For once you made a decent post

Cell 817-597-0781
Re: Stanfield Outfitters [Re: Ty Webb] #6144259 01/20/16 03:31 AM
garrett Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I'm impressed by "well spoken beaver", he needs to post more

Attention rickym, this is not a troll post, just a good hearted fun type of post
Re: Stanfield Outfitters [Re: Ty Webb] #6144283 01/20/16 03:41 AM
garrett Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Your well spoken posts make post like that more tolerable clap

Last edited by garrett; 01/20/16 03:42 AM.

Attention rickym, this is not a troll post, just a good hearted fun type of post
Re: Stanfield Outfitters [Re: Ty Webb] #6144339 01/20/16 04:26 AM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Ive had more less than desirable experiences with outfitters than good. It is one of many reasons I don't pay people to do what i can do myself. I used to drink too many free beers at banquets and end up in pissing contest.

Re: Stanfield Outfitters [Re: Jeff Elder] #6144354 01/20/16 04:37 AM
B
beaversnipe Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by Jeff Elder
Ok Ivan I believe you. For once you made a decent post

www.TexasPondPoppers.com

Re: Stanfield Outfitters [Re: Jeff Elder] #6144419 01/20/16 07:26 AM
L
Lost Hound Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
L
Originally Posted By: Jeff Elder
Why do fishing trips never get comped when the fishing is slow, but people expect a comped hunt when the birds don't fly?

Usually because the fishing guide doesn't say we are covered in 1000s of fish, or promising a great day. I have never asked for a comped hunt, I am smart enough to know when someone is blowing smoke and someone is honestly trying.

I hunted with Stanfield once in 2004, I have never recommended him or his outfit when asked or even considered using him since. He had the chance to make it right and didn't, his loss.

The guide is only as good as his marketing, if he has to do it, I am not interested, but if his clients are doing it for him with positive reviews, I am interested.

Re: Stanfield Outfitters [Re: Ty Webb] #6144549 01/20/16 01:58 PM
B
BarneyWho Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
I drove by Stanfield's operation once! Dude was outside and didn't wave at me. I'll NEVER hunt with that guy. realmad

Re: Stanfield Outfitters [Re: Ty Webb] #6144557 01/20/16 02:00 PM
G
GravyWheels Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
Man this got stupid fast. Point is, the outfitters employee compromised a hunt, and the actual outfitter cancelled two days worth of hunting. Options should have been to roll remaining money over to next year, or refund. Period. End of story. If the outfitter cancels hunts, he should refund that money. If you have bad hunts due to lack of weather or birds, just how it goes sometimes I guess.

Re: Stanfield Outfitters [Re: Jeff Elder] #6144583 01/20/16 02:18 PM
C
Creek2Creek Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
Originally Posted By: Ty Webb
Why do fishing trips never get comped when the fishing is slow, but people expect a comped hunt when the birds don't fly?

A comped hunt?
That's your take on the facts I listed earlier?
We didn't hunt in ideal conditions for 2 days due to the incompetence of the outfitter.
bolt

So your an expert on goose hunting and driving on rural muddy roads? Why do you even need a guide then?

I would have to add to this comment.... There are three sides to every story. Truth is always somewhere in the middle. This is why it is called hunting though. It happens and getting free go at it again is all that a guide can do. Trust me, none of us like it. Every trip cost us time and money, therefore, it is a bigger loss to us guides when we have to do it again for free. I have no problem doing it, but it does leave a bitter taste in my mouth halfway through the morning when I realize they aren't enjoying themselves as they imagined and the next one will not cover fuel and maintenance costs. This year especially, I think something broke every trip I went on. Suck it up is what I tell the OP and quit being a Diva about it.

I'm not taking up for Jeff, I'm just saying as a guide also I know every story has two sides

Re: Stanfield Outfitters [Re: Ty Webb] #6144586 01/20/16 02:21 PM
R
Ramball36 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Would you comp it if you got your sweet Argo stuck halfway to the blind and didn't take your guys anywhere else that morning? There's a big difference between birds not showing up and your guide not getting you to the hunt. Add in cancelling the remaining hunts when you're already there and I'd say that's grounds for a full refund on at LEAST the hints they never got to. But like I said that's only IF that's how it went down. Sure would like to hear the outfitters version of it...

Last edited by Ramball36; 01/20/16 02:23 PM.
Re: Stanfield Outfitters [Re: Ty Webb] #6144595 01/20/16 02:25 PM
E
Elpatoloco Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
E
I don't use guides or outfitters. I spend much time scouting, knocking on doors etc. Would probably be cheaper in the end to just pay for the experience.

I consider myself to be pretty good at what I do. Stuff goes wrong constantly. Birds disappear overnight, stuff breaks, some days the barrel of my gun seems bent. It's hunting. If a man wants a 100% sure fire shoot, they should take up tower shooting pheasants or hunting planted birds.

I cannot phathom being an outfitter for a living. Work your arse off and sometimes it just doesnt happen. Then dealing with all the "EXPERT" sports.

As Ramball stated, IF guide cancels he should make it good. Otherwise, shiz happens

Last edited by Elpatoloco; 01/20/16 02:27 PM.
Re: Stanfield Outfitters [Re: Ty Webb] #6144609 01/20/16 02:34 PM
B
beaversnipe Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Thats how it went. We were half a mile from the hunting grounds. Told the guide we are not opposed to grab a few duck decoys, layouts and walk there since we knew the birds will be flying after the snow at 9 am anyway. It was only 5:40 am when he got stuck. We had PLENTY of time to proceed to plan b. I would have left the trailer and make two runs to the field. 800 yards is not that far. He was more worried about trying to get his trailer out. They had birds everywhere in a low cieling clowd cover. It would have been a great hunt with a cool story. It just went south real quick. The cancellation of the remainder of all 3 other hunts was bizarre. Like i said, we made phonecalls to 2 other outfitters that day and they had NO problems whatsoever. They were giggling.

www.TexasPondPoppers.com

Re: Stanfield Outfitters [Re: Elpatoloco] #6144617 01/20/16 02:35 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
The purpose of a deposit is if the client cancels, outfitter gets compensated appropriately, not if guide cancels hunt because he cannot deliver.

Re: Stanfield Outfitters [Re: Ramball36] #6144618 01/20/16 02:36 PM
C
Creek2Creek Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
Originally Posted By: Ramball36
Would you comp it if you got your sweet Argo stuck halfway to the blind and didn't take your guys anywhere else that morning? There's a big difference between birds not showing up and your guide not getting you to the hunt. Add in cancelling the remaining hunts when you're already there and I'd say that's grounds for a full refund on at LEAST the hints they never got to. But like I said that's only IF that's how it went down. Sure would like to hear the outfitters version of it...

Happened last weekend on some guys that came from Chorpus Christi. Not only did I stick the argo, but the steering broke and I hit a concrete culvert sending one of the guys over the front of the machine. We were a mile from the truck and two miles from the blind. The other argo took two guys to the blind to finish the hunt. Two guys stated that it is fine and agreed to sit on a levee and watch and take pictures because they did not want to get to blind after LST and ruin for other people. This trip cost me around $800 with parts arriving tomorrow. I offered to give them their money back as I do not require a deposit, especially a year in advance. I'm gonna hunt regardless, so if you show up and don't pay first, you don't go.

These were standup guys though. Told me to keep the money and they understood that it is hunting and it was something out of my control. I'm taking them after some geese in march and they are hunting opening weekend next year free of charge. Hunting ethics and a little understanding goes a long way. The man got stuck, he can't help that. Yes, I would of taken them somewhere else the next day, but maybe he didn't have that option. No one likes taking money like that.

Re: Stanfield Outfitters [Re: Ty Webb] #6144624 01/20/16 02:38 PM
R
Ramball36 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Apparently ole stanfield doesn't mind it?

I'm a little concerned that some of you think this is okay

Re: Stanfield Outfitters [Re: Creek2Creek] #6144641 01/20/16 02:52 PM
B
beaversnipe Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted By: Creek2Creek
Originally Posted By: Ramball36

Happened last weekend on some guys that came from Chorpus Christi. Not only did I stick the argo, but the steering broke and I hit a concrete culvert sending one of the guys over the front of the machine. We were a mile from the truck and two miles from the blind. The other argo took two guys to the blind to finish the hunt. Two guys stated that it is fine and agreed to sit on a levee and watch and take pictures because they did not want to get to blind after LST and ruin for other people. This trip cost me around $800 with parts arriving tomorrow. I offered to give them their money back as I do not require a deposit, especially a year in advance. I'm gonna hunt regardless, so if you show up and don't pay first, you don't go.

These were standup guys though. Told me to keep the money and they understood that it is hunting and it was something out of my control. I'm taking them after some geese in march and they are hunting opening weekend next year free of charge. Hunting ethics and a little understanding goes a long way. The man got stuck, he can't help that. Yes, I would of taken them somewhere else the next day, but maybe he didn't have that option. No one likes taking money like that.

He did not have an option? Yes the trailer got stuck till 4:30 pm with all his gear. He was only 100 yards into the bad stuff. All it took was a local farmer with a tractor to pull him out between 6 am and 4:30 pm thats plenty of time. If i were to be the outfitter i would go like: no hunts today, we fokked up, but tomorrow or even this afternoon i ll make it up. We would have been more than ok with it. When we pulled over in town at 7 am to grab some breakfast we talked to 4 local farmers there having coffee at the gasstation offering for help, but thats not my call. Im not the outfitter. You could have hunted saturday all day since it was low cieling, windy, birds everywhere and hungry. But thats ok, im already over it and will not fight for the refund and will certainly not go back there. Third time is a charm. Some of us still had a great hunt sat afternoon and sunday elsewhere anyway.

Last edited by beaversnipe; 01/20/16 03:01 PM.

www.TexasPondPoppers.com

Re: Stanfield Outfitters [Re: Ty Webb] #6144652 01/20/16 03:01 PM
C
Creek2Creek Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
I'm not saying it is ok if this is exactly how it went down. I was in this exact situation though literally less than 5 days ago. Didn't turn out this negative. A crap day turned into repeat customers, one of which got a little bruised up. We aren't hearing both sides of the story. If the guy was truly a jerk, sure, don't go back.

No reason to be concerned though. I have taken guys that only cared about killing ducks. I put them on the ducks and have turned them down for hunts afterwards. Guys that hunt for the now are the ones that get upset when it doesn't pan out. Guys that truly enjoy seeing birds, listening to a good call, watching a dog work, and laughing with a complete stranger are the ones that make the hunt enjoyable.

It is a horrible feeling not making it to a hunt and to be honest, it is a little embarrassing. My gut tells me that the guy was at a low point and heard complaining. Not a good mixture. Just my opinion.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide