Page 1 of 2 1 2
fluted barrels #6128498 01/10/16 04:37 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline OP
Texas colt45
OP Offline
Texas colt45
C
first let me say, the following is just a ?, why do a lot of people like fluted? I know one of the answers is the barrel cools faster, has this been documented? reduced weight (I can see that point) why does Shilen NOT flute their barrels? I have some that are, my only reason..I like the looks.

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: fluted barrels [Re: colt45-90] #6128503 01/10/16 04:39 PM
J
jdk1985 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
I'm thinking of having one or two done for the reduced weight. I think cosmetics are often a big motivating factor.

Instagram @justinkingwoodworking
Re: fluted barrels [Re: colt45-90] #6128580 01/10/16 05:30 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I do it to cut down on weight. A barrel can easily lose a pound or more depending on contour, length, and type/ number of flutes.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: fluted barrels [Re: jdk1985] #6128581 01/10/16 05:31 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted By: jdk1985
I'm thinking of having one or two done for the reduced weight. I think cosmetics are often a big motivating factor.

this up

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: fluted barrels [Re: colt45-90] #6128634 01/10/16 06:02 PM
C
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
It's supposed to reduce weight and possibly look better - while not adversely affecting the barrels stiffness, if I understand correctly.

Retaining the bull-barrel stiffness without all of that weight.

Last edited by charlesb; 01/10/16 06:03 PM.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: fluted barrels [Re: colt45-90] #6128681 01/10/16 06:30 PM
kmon11 Offline
junior
junior
Biggest benefit is reduced weight.

Aesthetics

The flutes do provide more surface area so the barrel should cool more quickly how much is the question.

Strength, I have read lots of different things on this, including claims of fluting makes the barrel stiffer. Do not believe that. Cannot recall making anything stronger by removing material from it. Now if those claims were that a fluted barrel is stiffer than an unfluted barrel of the same weight (not diameter) I can agree with that.

Accuracy, if the flutes are not even and consistent accuracy can be adversely affected especially when the barrel starts to heat up, or so I have read many timea and do not doubt that.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: fluted barrels [Re: colt45-90] #6128686 01/10/16 06:34 PM
G
GLC Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G
I started out with a 26" Criterion barrel that weighed 6.2 pounds. Had it cut down to 22" and a heavy spiral fluting done to it and now it weighs 3.3 pounds. The kool factor is nice but it was all about weight reduction. No accuracy issues, shoots .280 best group at 100 yards.

Re: fluted barrels [Re: kmon11] #6128750 01/10/16 07:11 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
^^What kmon1 said^^

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: fluted barrels [Re: J.G.] #6130261 01/11/16 04:28 PM
M
Mickey Moose Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
^^What kmon1 said^^

I agree with FiremanJG agreeing with kmon1.

My botnet is bigger than yours.
Re: fluted barrels [Re: colt45-90] #6132229 01/12/16 05:39 PM
N
nyalubwe Offline
Tracker
Tracker
N
I have found the biggest benefit is in the cooling. we get to do a lot of high volume buck-toothed varmint shooting up here and the guns get wicked hot. A properly fluted barrel ameliorates that quite a bit....so much so I have fluted barrels on my two favorite high volume guns. That said look critically at flutes. Many from the factory are shallow and meant for aesthetics instead of function. More surface area does indeed cause something to cool faster....but many factory guns are fluted in name only, with no performance benefit. My experience with accuracy in fluted barrels has been excellent. Stiffness? Your guess is as good as mine...

Re: fluted barrels [Re: nyalubwe] #6132274 01/12/16 06:17 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: nyalubwe
I have found the biggest benefit is in the cooling. we get to do a lot of high volume buck-toothed varmint shooting up here and the guns get wicked hot. A properly fluted barrel ameliorates that quite a bit....so much so I have fluted barrels on my two favorite high volume guns. That said look critically at flutes. Many from the factory are shallow and meant for aesthetics instead of function. More surface area does indeed cause something to cool faster....but many factory guns are fluted in name only, with no performance benefit. My experience with accuracy in fluted barrels has been excellent. Stiffness? Your guess is as good as mine...

Showoff! That's a nice word.

Ameliorates - make (something bad) better.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: fluted barrels [Re: Cast] #6132301 01/12/16 06:37 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: Cast
Originally Posted By: nyalubwe

Showoff! That's a nice word.

Ameliorates - make (something bad) better.

Hey!! I am the "big word" user around here - you're horning in on my turf. smile

I have always had accuracy concerns with fluted barrels - don't know if they are justified or not.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: fluted barrels [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6132360 01/12/16 07:07 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

They are not. I've had more than one fluted barrel that shot tiny.

I'd like to see scientific evidence of equal contour barrels, one fluted, one not. And would like to see an I.R. sensor shot on the barrels after the same number of rounds in the same amount of time.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: fluted barrels [Re: J.G.] #6132362 01/12/16 07:08 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline OP
Texas colt45
OP Offline
Texas colt45
C

I'd like to see scientific evidence of equal contour barrels, one fluted, one not. And would like to see an I.R. sensor shot on the barrels after the same number of rounds in the same amount of time.
this

Re: fluted barrels [Re: colt45-90] #6132412 01/12/16 07:32 PM
M
MacDaddy21 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
X2 that would be very cool.

Re: fluted barrels [Re: J.G.] #6132451 01/12/16 07:59 PM
kmon11 Offline
junior
junior

I would like to see that as well. I bet some possibly myself included would be surprised at the results. I think the flutes do help a barrel cool quicker than an unfluted barrel if the flutes provide more surface area and are not just cosmetic. That said I also believe the fluted barrel of the same contour will heat faster than the unfluted barrel (less material to heat up).

Ever work with heatsinks for electronic equipment? They will be hotter at the heat source and cooler at the ends of the fins. I would bet the flutes also aid cooling buy having air closer to the heat source for cooling. You can shoot out a heavy barrel fluted or not in one prairie dog trip if the shooting is fast and you let the barrel get to hot and keep shooting. Good reason to take several rifles.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: fluted barrels [Re: colt45-90] #6132698 01/12/16 10:35 PM
30378 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
You asked about Shilen, this is from their web page:

What about "fluting" a barrel?
Fluting is a service we neither offer nor recommend. If you have a Shilen barrel fluted, the warranty is void. Fluting a barrel can induce unrecoverable stresses that will encourage warping when heated and can also swell the bore dimensions, causing loose spots in the bore. A solid (un-fluted) barrel is more rigid than a fluted barrel of equal diameter. A fluted barrel is more rigid than a solid barrel of equal weight. All rifle barrels flex when fired. Accuracy requires that they simply flex the same and return the same each time they are fired, hence the requirement for a pillar bedded action and free floating barrel. The unrecoverable stresses that fluting can induce will cause the barrel to flex differently or not return from the flexing without cooling down a major amount. This is usually longer than a shooter has to wait for the next shot. The claim of the flutes helping to wick heat away faster is true, but the benefit of the flutes is not recognizable in this regard until the barrel is already too hot.

NRA Benefactor Life Member - Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry a firearm.
Re: fluted barrels [Re: 30378] #6132794 01/12/16 11:24 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
bs

Seen many fluted barrels, in the hands of outstanding shooters, make some amazing shots. And it was repeated at will.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: fluted barrels [Re: 30378] #6132824 01/12/16 11:42 PM
C
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: 30378

Fluting is a service we neither offer nor recommend. If you have a Shilen barrel fluted, the warranty is void. Fluting a barrel can induce unrecoverable stresses that will encourage warping when heated and can also swell the bore dimensions, causing loose spots in the bore. A solid (un-fluted) barrel is more rigid than a fluted barrel of equal diameter. A fluted barrel is more rigid than a solid barrel of equal weight. All rifle barrels flex when fired. Accuracy requires that they simply flex the same and return the same each time they are fired, hence the requirement for a pillar bedded action and free floating barrel. The unrecoverable stresses that fluting can induce will cause the barrel to flex differently or not return from the flexing without cooling down a major amount. This is usually longer than a shooter has to wait for the next shot. The claim of the flutes helping to wick heat away faster is true, but the benefit of the flutes is not recognizable in this regard until the barrel is already too hot.

Some of the statements there made sense. Others... Not so much.

He may be referring to the effect of fluting upon barrels that have been straightened at the factory, prior to sale.

Then again, maybe not. - Kind of hard to tell.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: fluted barrels [Re: 30378] #6132826 01/12/16 11:42 PM
T
TFF Caribou Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: 30378

Sounds like they know most people are going to flute their barrels, and this saves them warranty money.

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference. -George Washington
Re: fluted barrels [Re: J.G.] #6132827 01/12/16 11:43 PM
D
dawaba Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
bs

Seen many fluted barrels, in the hands of outstanding shooters, make some amazing shots. And it was repeated at will.

When I decided to have the Kreiger barrel of my .300 WM fluted, I mentioned Shilen's position statement to Alton Britt at Dixie Precision Rifles. He said that loss of accuracy by fluting is an old wives' tale that has been refuted over and over. Furthermore, Dixie's very own position statement is that if your gun shoots worse after fluting, they will install another Krieger barrel on your action for free.

I'm no benchrest marksman, but my gun suffered no ill effects from the procedure.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple.....and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Re: fluted barrels [Re: colt45-90] #6132834 01/12/16 11:48 PM
C
chemdawg Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
what you posted about fluted barrels makes sense my father was an outstanding marksmen and and had real world experience in shooting long rang. if i remember right when i asked him about fluted battles she aid he akicd his instructor the same questions he told me that a fluted barrels would warp under heavy firing they heated quicker hence the reason army snipers dont use them they have to be able to shoot maltable times with out having to worry about shots being off ehtn the barrel heated or warping when your life depends on your gun to shoot straight it made sense to me if i remember the story correctly i dont know for sure i have never shot a fluted barrel gun i did handle the mossburge rifle that had been flooded it felt good i am thinking of buying on they make great shotgun and i have not heard much about there rifles i am sure they are not as good as other brands but who know they my shout great i cold not fined much on line about there grouping that is what i care about more then anything how small with it firer right out of the box doing nothing to them like my Axis i love it i t my be cheap but it feels comfortable and I love the skinny neck on the stock it feels like have a lot of control over the gun the only down side its i could not get it bedded it wont stick with this stock it wold just come out but it shot well enough with a trigger job

Re: fluted barrels [Re: colt45-90] #6133143 01/13/16 02:16 AM
B
Brother in-law Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Whenever the fluting debate comes up the Shilen blog is always brought up. But when you check into having a gun built I have never ever heard a top notch builder say Shilen. I usually hear their name from people that are rebuilding a savage or need a barrel super fast. I do not take their old beliefs to heart because I've seen fluted barrels work when done by somebody that has the proper knowledge and tooling.
The tikka super lights, mossbergs, and skinney barrels are a sales gimmick and for looks. They look good. When you get up into bigger contours the difference starts to help more the bigger the contour. Plain and simple.

Last edited by Brother in-law; 01/13/16 02:16 AM.
Re: fluted barrels [Re: colt45-90] #6134310 01/13/16 11:12 PM
C
Caliche Kid Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Fluting definitely reduces weight and is a big plus when carrying a lot. A fluted barrel will heat up faster because the barrel weighs less. I suppose if you are shooting a lot and fast, like prarie dog shoots, a heavy barrel is best. Whether the fluted barrel cools faster depends on the convection patterns around it during cooling. I doubt the cooling rate is much faster unless in a high wind. You can't take advantage of the extra area if the cooling air can't get to the surface. For most hunting, I'll take the fluted barrel, as long as it's stainless. I have enough trouble fighting rust without fluting on carbon steels. I rarely shoot more than once, unless I run into a sounder, and even then it's hardly enough rounds to cause a heating issue. To the point of cost, that's the tiebreaker. Don't expect a fluted barrel to cool faster on an AR when the fluted area is covered up with a handguard or free float tube either. Accuracy can go either way, but at equal weight and length, fluting is stiffer. That's how I-beams and H-beams work.

Re: fluted barrels [Re: Caliche Kid] #6134317 01/13/16 11:18 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline OP
Texas colt45
OP Offline
Texas colt45
C
Originally Posted By: Caliche Kid
Fluting definitely reduces weight and is a big plus when carrying a lot. A fluted barrel will heat up faster because the barrel weighs less. I suppose if you are shooting a lot and fast, like prarie dog shoots, a heavy barrel is best. Whether the fluted barrel cools faster depends on the convection patterns around it during cooling. I doubt the cooling rate is much faster unless in a high wind. You can't take advantage of the extra area if the cooling air can't get to the surface. For most hunting, I'll take the fluted barrel, as long as it's stainless. I have enough trouble fighting rust without fluting on carbon steels. I rarely shoot more than once, unless I run into a sounder, and even then it's hardly enough rounds to cause a heating issue. To the point of cost, that's the tiebreaker. Don't expect a fluted barrel to cool faster on an AR when the fluted area is covered up with a handguard or free float tube either. Accuracy can go either way, but at equal weight and length, fluting is stiffer. That's how I-beams and H-beams work.
comparing flutes to I beams Is apples & oranges

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide