Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: what to do last 2 weeks July? [Re: Rob Lay] #6127272 01/09/16 08:07 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I would do hiking/fishing in the Rockies - and not where you would see a bunch of people. But I would not do anything too extreme so as to not risk injury so close to your sheep hunt.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: what to do last 2 weeks July? [Re: therancher] #6132081 01/12/16 04:17 PM
Rob Lay Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted By: therancher
Not sure where you hunted. But my ranch was on the southern border on the south side of 90.

we were just off 285 to east. unbelievable Elk hunt! I have hunted Elk Texas, Colorado, and Idaho never seeing a 300+ bull and there we saw one every morning and evening. Usually we saw a couple and one was approaching 370. Had a terrible experience with the guide, so won't use them again, but have already talked to Longfellow.

Re: what to do last 2 weeks July? [Re: Rob Lay] #6132095 01/12/16 04:28 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
If you just want to go get the crap kicked out of you by a mountain and fish some check out the Ouray area.

Re: what to do last 2 weeks July? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6132097 01/12/16 04:29 PM
Rob Lay Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
I would do hiking/fishing in the Rockies - and not where you would see a bunch of people. But I would not do anything too extreme so as to not risk injury so close to your sheep hunt.

I was thinking about injury and even climbers lung. Luckily I had no injuries in Alaska last year, no knee or ankle problems at all, just general soreness. An injury could really ruin Alaska at that point and wouldn't be able to back out.

I don't know if you have any experience with climbers lung, but I've had some weird symptoms since Alaska. Soon as I got back in September I started training for yearly half marathon in December. My mileage was good this year, but for no reason I just didn't have the same lung capacity and my pace in training runs and the actual race were 30-45 seconds off usual. I did the entire 13.1 miles without walking, but then through Christmas my lungs had such little capacity I couldn't even run 200 yards and would get winded walking around the house.

Went to the doctor several times and MRI. After we ruled out stomach hernia restricting lungs doctor just thinks some form of lung inflammation, which can have so many root causes. Could have been Alaska and then the half marathon or it could have been chlorine from swimming. Steroids cleared it up quickly though.

Re: what to do last 2 weeks July? [Re: Rob Lay] #6132108 01/12/16 04:36 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: Rob Lay
Originally Posted By: therancher
Not sure where you hunted. But my ranch was on the southern border on the south side of 90.

we were just off 285 to east. unbelievable Elk hunt! I have hunted Elk Texas, Colorado, and Idaho never seeing a 300+ bull and there we saw one every morning and evening. Usually we saw a couple and one was approaching 370. Had a terrible experience with the guide, so won't use them again, but have already talked to Longfellow.

The Stumburg is west of Sanderson and a buddy of mine who guided a mule deer hunt there said they saw awesome elk there too. That's about 16 miles west of Sanderson and 8 miles north of 90.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: what to do last 2 weeks July? [Re: Rob Lay] #6132375 01/12/16 07:15 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: Rob Lay
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

I was thinking about injury and even climbers lung. Luckily I had no injuries in Alaska last year, no knee or ankle problems at all, just general soreness. An injury could really ruin Alaska at that point and wouldn't be able to back out.

I don't know if you have any experience with climbers lung, but I've had some weird symptoms since Alaska. Soon as I got back in September I started training for yearly half marathon in December. My mileage was good this year, but for no reason I just didn't have the same lung capacity and my pace in training runs and the actual race were 30-45 seconds off usual. I did the entire 13.1 miles without walking, but then through Christmas my lungs had such little capacity I couldn't even run 200 yards and would get winded walking around the house.

Went to the doctor several times and MRI. After we ruled out stomach hernia restricting lungs doctor just thinks some form of lung inflammation, which can have so many root causes. Could have been Alaska and then the half marathon or it could have been chlorine from swimming. Steroids cleared it up quickly though.

Never had it. But you are in so much better shape than me it's not even funny. Age, hinky back, and just general laziness all conspire against me. smile

I do work out, climb/hike with pack, and walk a lot about a year out from a big trip. And I am a little skinny guy so that helps more than anything I think. Plus I am pretty mentally tough when it comes time for a pull (stubborn is probably a better word). Guides tell me I'm ahead of most they see but Cam Hanes I ain't. Think tortoise, not hare....

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide