Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: DSC Show [Re: BMD] #6130961 01/11/16 11:05 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
heading to SCI in February - gonna look for a mule deer hunt.

Anyone here been to Spain for Ibex? If you have any suggestions on who to book with? Thanks

You can't fix stupid
Re: DSC Show [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6131049 01/11/16 11:40 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
Had a great time there Thursday. Talked sheep hunting with some of the best in the game and booked a Yukon Dall's hunt for 2017. I can't wait. We are fortunate to have such a show in our area.

Dave, hearty congratulations on your well-deserved recognition!

adopt me up

Lol I just bit the bullet because the hunts aren't going down in price. The Dall will be my third leg of the 4 sheep species. I will have to draw a tag or win a raffle to hunt the Rocky Mountain Bigborn. Many have told me that if that happens and I do get all four, I will probably have the most economical Grand Slam of the 21st century.

IDK if that's true or not but I sure would love to draw a Rocky tag someday regardless. smile

Good luck N.P. that's an awesome goal!!! Hey do you go to the Navarro County Habitat for Humanity Skeet shoot and fund raiser every year? I go, thought we might have crossed paths there. It's held over a Strube's Upland Bird Country

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: DSC Show [Re: Buzzsaw] #6131116 01/12/16 12:15 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Had a great time there Thursday. Talked sheep hunting with some of the best in the game and booked a Yukon Dall's hunt for 2017. I can't wait. We are fortunate to have such a show in our area.

adopt me up

Lol I just bit the bullet because the hunts aren't going down in price. The Dall will be my third leg of the 4 sheep species. I will have to draw a tag or win a raffle to hunt the Rocky Mountain Bigborn. Many have told me that if that happens and I do get all four, I will probably have the most economical Grand Slam of the 21st century.

IDK if that's true or not but I sure would love to draw a Rocky tag someday regardless. smile

Good luck N.P. that's an awesome goal!!! Hey do you go to the Navarro County Habitat for Humanity Skeet shoot and fund raiser every year? I go, thought we might have crossed paths there. It's held over a Strube's Upland Bird Country

Thanks!!

No, I'm not a shotgun guy really but have heard good things about that event. Steve Stroube passed away about a year or more ago (just in case you didn't know) but nothing has changed much about the UBC operation as far as I know.

Last edited by Nogalus Prairie; 01/12/16 12:16 AM.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: DSC Show [Re: DeerTamales] #6131118 01/12/16 12:17 AM
M
Mike Honcho Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted By: DeerTamales
Any particular reason Jorge?

Its all personal opinion, and i might be wrong. in reading her comments and reactions to antis. i dont see a true steward of our environment and animal conservation. I see a self promoter that likes killing things. Im not passing judgement on killing things i enjoy it, but im also not in the media. I also recognize that if i was i wouldnt send sophomoric and bratty responses. I would either not engage idiots or use facts to support my statements. Just my opinion and its not worth a whole lot. i just think she could do a much better job of representing the industry and understand that being in the spotlight comes with greater responsibility.

Im not against it the "sexy" factory has its pluses and at times i enjoy it, but i think its really made things worse. Hey does a beautiful woman add curb appeal and promotion absolutely, but when it becomes the centerpiece. I think we forgot our roots.

Last edited by jorge; 01/12/16 12:19 AM.

“Two things that define an individual what you do when you have everything, and what you do when you have nothing."

Re: DSC Show [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6131288 01/12/16 01:37 AM
D
dawaba Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D

adopt me up

What Yukon outfitter did you choose for your Dall? Just curious as I've heard no negatives about any of the operators up there. Very exciting stuff, for sure!

Regarding your Rocky Mnt tag, be sure and apply to Idaho and New Mexico every year...they're expensive, but you're not behind all the resident hunters who have more preference points than you....everyone's application has zero preference or bonus points. And I presume you have max points in Wyoming and other states that offer them. Now that Wyoming charges $100 for every unsuccessful draw, that will serve to weed out many of the tire kickers and leave an open field for the serious sheep hunters.....at least I hope so.

I'd subscribe to The Huntin' Fool too. Just don't choose their top unit like everyone else; go with #4 or #5. Or if you have a favorite outfitter in, say, Colorado, pick a unit he considers a sleeper.

Finally, if you can make the Sheep Show this year, look up Gray Thornton (I believe you said you know him) and pick his mind for any nuggets of advice. I'm excited for you, Clay. Talk about anticipation of the hunt!

I can't close without relating this somewhat-selfish story. Like you, I needed the Rocky Mnt sheep to finish my own Grand Slam, and it took another 14 years of unsuccessful applications until I finally drew out in Wyoming's Unit 5 in 2008. And I got a nice ram on the 8th day. By this time, Dennis Campbell and GSC/OVIS had won their multi-million dollar lawsuit against FNAWS over who could use the term, "Grand Slam". I didn't think it was possible for Campbell to copy-write a term that had been part of the hunting world's vernacular for decades, but he pulled it off. It cost the Sheep Foundation millions to fight the suit, money that will never put sheep on the mountain, or educate kids about hunting and the outdoors, or fund research to study sheep diseases. Unfortunately, I have a bit of a selfish ego on occasion, so I joined GSC/OVIS, became the recipient of Grand Slam #1458, and as soon as I received my recognition and plaque, I promptly sent in my resignation (along with a nice, scathing letter). Seth Campbell, Dennis' son, phoned me for a personal plea to remain in their club. I have to give him high marks for his efforts, but about 20 minutes later the conversation sorta dried up and Seth told me I could stick it where the sun don't shine.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple.....and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Re: DSC Show [Re: BMD] #6131319 01/12/16 01:56 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Going with Tim Mervyn, Dave. Consistently high quality rams across the board year in and year out. He puts a photo of every ram taken each year in his mail out/brochure. Also his area is the area O'Connor took all of Yukon Dalls in so that symmetry was a bonus. Tim has run a fine family operation for years and we just "clicked" a few years ago when we met.

I apply for every Rocky tag available in every state and put in all the raffles I am aware of. Just shy of max points in WY but I hope to hunt Area 5 just as you did one day. (O'Connor also hunted there BTW. smile ).

For the reasons you describe I have no truck with GSC/Ovis. IMO the entire operation is the ego-booster and profit operation for one man - with little real benefit to sheep conservation.

If the Good Lord blesses me with the slam, I will not register it with GSC/O but will refer to it as a Grand Slam in every conversation where it comes up. Dennis can just sue me if it bothers him. smile

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: DSC Show [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6131427 01/12/16 02:37 AM
D
dawaba Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
A good friend of mine, Charles XXXX, rewarded his son for graduating in the top 10 of his high school class (he went on to Duke) with a Dall hunt with Mervyn. Charles went along as an observer. They had a great hunt in the White River and Kluane country that JOC so fondly wrote about. Son got a 38" ram trophy IIRC, Charles got lots of trophy photos, and father-son got a helluva trophy bonding experience.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple.....and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Re: DSC Show [Re: tlk] #6131538 01/12/16 03:34 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: tlk

Anyone here been to Spain for Ibex? If you have any suggestions on who to book with? Thanks

My buddy went last year for Ibex and Chamois. Recommends these guys. He took the wife and kids too. Looks like these guys donate a hunt to SCI each year as well. They have a booth at the Vegas show.

http://www.fernandosaizspain.net/main/

Re: DSC Show [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6132179 01/12/16 05:09 PM
Rob Lay Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Going with Tim Mervyn, Dave. Consistently high quality rams across the board year in and year out. He puts a photo of every ram taken each year in his mail out/brochure. Also his area is the area O'Connor took all of Yukon Dalls in so that symmetry was a bonus. Tim has run a fine family operation for years and we just "clicked" a few years ago when we met.

congrats, looks like great hunt! depending on quality of ram and hunt this year in Alaska I may to Yukon.

you have already done Stone? prices are high now, but at least no headache with tags and still cheaper than buying a Desert tag. smile

Re: DSC Show [Re: Rob Lay] #6132288 01/12/16 06:25 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: Rob Lay

congrats, looks like great hunt! depending on quality of ram and hunt this year in Alaska I may to Yukon.

you have already done Stone? prices are high now, but at least no headache with tags and still cheaper than buying a Desert tag. smile

Yes I did that one a decade ago before things got so crazy price-wise. Thank goodness. Will pay more for this Dall's hunt than that one. Had I known the Grand Slam deal might be a possibility I would have done the Dall a long time ago too. frown

Re: DSC Show [Re: tlk] #6132294 01/12/16 06:32 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R

If you don't mind me asking, what are you looking for?

Re: DSC Show [Re: rifleman] #6132764 01/12/16 11:11 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: rifleman

If you don't mind me asking, what are you looking for?

not sure what you are asking? I am looking to book an Ibex hunt in Spain at SCI. I am also looking for a mule deer hunt - probably in Sonora

Last edited by tlk; 01/12/16 11:11 PM.

You can't fix stupid
Re: DSC Show [Re: BMD] #6132797 01/12/16 11:25 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
What kind of muley hunt, location/terrain, time frame, etc? Sonora answers it though. I was just curious.

Re: DSC Show [Re: tlk] #6132946 01/13/16 12:52 AM
E
Erny Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E

My wife and I were talking to Alvaro with Euro hunts about a trip to Spain for a gredos ibex and roe deer in 2017. The hunt sounds fantastic but the cost of hunting in Spain is high. I too am curious about any recomendations anyone has.

Last edited by Erny; 01/13/16 12:53 AM.
Re: DSC Show [Re: rifleman] #6132957 01/13/16 12:56 AM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: rifleman
What kind of muley hunt, location/terrain, time frame, etc? Sonora answers it though. I was just curious.

looking for 200 plus - only want one of them in my lifetime so want to hunt for a trophy

You can't fix stupid
Re: DSC Show [Re: BMD] #6133215 01/13/16 02:57 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Hope you find it and knock down a stud. I have a couple buddies who go down there every year looking for that. Some years it happens, other years it doesn't.

Re: DSC Show [Re: Erny] #6133225 01/13/16 03:00 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Erny

My wife and I were talking to Alvaro with Euro hunts about a trip to Spain for a gredos ibex and roe deer in 2017. The hunt sounds fantastic but the cost of hunting in Spain is high. I too am curious about any recomendations anyone has.

Look at my post above for a rec. It is not cheap.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide