Re: chambered or unchambered? [Re: cyphertext] #6063890 12/03/15 03:57 AM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: cyphertext
Originally Posted By: Bigfoot

Wrong!!! I dont think I am that good I think I am that bad!! The guy with the knife is probably going to get me whether I am chambered or unchambered.

Then why carry at all?

Exactly. Have you ever seen True Grit?

Last edited by Tactical Cowboy; 12/03/15 03:58 AM.

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Re: chambered or unchambered? [Re: Bigfoot] #6064675 12/03/15 06:34 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
As mentioned before I carry chambered with no safety. I usually either do appendix carry or middle of my lower back IWB . Where do you guys prefer to carry?

Re: chambered or unchambered? [Re: Bigfoot] #6065127 12/03/15 10:53 PM
P
Pig_Popper Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
Chambered when I'm out solo

Unchambered WITH an acute awareness of my surrounding when I'm with my kids and family

NEVER open carry

P.S. - guns are useless if you aren't aware of your surroundings or if you over compensate by placing yourself in a risky situation because your locked and cocked. All the call outs on people who carry unchambered are ridiculous on a surface level.

This space is For Sale - inquire within ...
Re: chambered or unchambered? [Re: Pig_Popper] #6065146 12/03/15 11:08 PM
C
cyphertext Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: Pig_Popper

Unchambered WITH an acute awareness of my surrounding when I'm with my kids and family

NEVER open carry

P.S. - guns are useless if you aren't aware of your surroundings or if you over compensate by placing yourself in a risky situation because your locked and cocked. All the call outs on people who carry unchambered are ridiculous on a surface level.

Why different methods when alone vs. with family?

Re: chambered or unchambered? [Re: Bigfoot] #6065237 12/04/15 12:04 AM
L
Luke27 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
L
Well said Pig Popper. My sentiments exactly

Re: chambered or unchambered? [Re: cyphertext] #6065239 12/04/15 12:05 AM
T
TFF Caribou Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T

NEVER open carry

That's a good question. Your kids should be well aware of the risks of messing with firearms.

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference. -George Washington
Re: chambered or unchambered? [Re: Bigfoot] #6065244 12/04/15 12:12 AM
M
mightyp Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
chambered

It's still "we the people", right?

"If it bleeds, we can kill it."

Re: chambered or unchambered? [Re: Bigfoot] #6065287 12/04/15 12:50 AM
KRoyal Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
One in chamber G27 so no safety ready to rock and roll. I couldn't imagine being in a stressful situation and pulling my gun and hearing the firing pin fall on a empty chamber. Appendix carry is only way I carry now.

[Linked Image]

Re: chambered or unchambered? [Re: SapperTitan] #6065410 12/04/15 01:35 AM
janie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
As mentioned before I carry chambered with no safety. I usually either do appendix carry or middle of my lower back IWB . Where do you guys prefer to carry?

11 o'clock IWB. Big proponent of having a back up, so a Colt Mustang usually rides along in an ankle holster. One other thing that was mentioned earlier, and something to think about.

Not being able to rack the slide without the use of both hands.

Ever tried using the outer part of your thigh? Preferrably with jean's on. smile

Boot heel?

He is your friend defender your dog. Be worthy of such devotion

[Linked Image]
Re: chambered or unchambered? [Re: Bigfoot] #6065494 12/04/15 02:07 AM
M
Marc K Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
Soooo, sooooo much depends upon your state of mind, training, muscle memory and individual reaction to a shooting situation. (Did I mention training?)

I know people who train to draw, rack and fire in the blink of an eye under stress. It is impressive for sure, but I am not capable, nor willing to train to that level. That is a very personal decision.

If a person has not experienced a really massive adrenaline dump into your bloodstream, they will be shocked at the autonomic response. How many times have we seen videos of multiple, trained police officers dumping 15-19 rounds at close range --- and missing their target?

I'm a .357/.44 mag guy, so I suppose that "chambered" is my answer. But the 9mm and AR that live in my truck have full mags with empty chambers.

I'm 62 years old, grew up on a ranch and have lived most my adult life away from big cities. My perspective will be different than a person who lives/works/breathes in a suburb or city.

Marc

Last edited by Marc Kurth; 12/04/15 02:08 AM.

A Democracy is when two wolves and a lamb vote on the dinner menu. That is why this country was specifically not designed as a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.
Re: chambered or unchambered? [Re: Luke27] #6065969 12/04/15 11:46 AM
bigbob_ftw Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Originally Posted By: Luke27
Well said Pig Popper. My sentiments exactly

+1

[Linked Image]

Ultra MAGA '24.
Re: chambered or unchambered? [Re: Bigfoot] #6066476 12/04/15 04:28 PM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover
If worn in a holster, on my body, chambered. If stored near me in home or vehicle, then unchambered.

Good situational awareness should keep me safe enough to have time to avoid the situation or charge the weapon, unless I am afoot and walk into it.

Remember that leaving a readily dischargeable firearm where a child or other non-adult can find it is a crime, as well as stupid.

Re: chambered or unchambered? [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #6066690 12/04/15 05:56 PM
T
TexasEd Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)
If worn in a holster, on my body, chambered. If stored near me in home or vehicle, then unchambered.

Good situational awareness should keep me safe enough to have time to avoid the situation or charge the weapon, unless I am afoot and walk into it.

Remember that leaving a readily dischargeable firearm where a child or other non-adult can find it is a crime, as well as stupid.

Yes, and the law is pretty specific on what that means but losing a loved one due to negligence will probably do more to the person responsible for the gun than the law would.

Re: chambered or unchambered? [Re: TFF Caribou] #6066968 12/04/15 09:12 PM
P
Pig_Popper Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
Originally Posted By: Tff caribou

NEVER open carry

That's a good question. Your kids should be well aware of the risks of messing with firearms.

My kids are well aware of gun safety and aren't afraid of putting holes in paper and tins cans.

This thread speaks to chambered or unchambered for carry in the public domain which to me represents a whole different arena when it comes to situations and shooter's discretion.

Example: let's say I'm out with the family and I'm going into a establishment that is 30.06 covered. So I leave the gun in the truck with the family and I'll only be a minute, on the way back to the truck I get into a discussion with a fella and it turns South. In theory the wife will come to my defense leaving the children in the truck but what if my child decides to assist if at this point I'm on the ground.

NOT a decision I want my child to make with a chambered gun!!!

Again in theory in this example it comes to be that the fella is kin who has a mental problem and the adults in the family are well aware of his problem but the kids aren't.

So new question(s) for readers:

1) for those who carry chambered all the time given the above example do you unchambered and stow or just stow?

2) who here trusts a 12 - 14 year old child to make a sound decision in the event a chambered gun comes into their possession in the midst of a volatile situation?

This space is For Sale - inquire within ...
Re: chambered or unchambered? [Re: Bigfoot] #6066995 12/04/15 09:26 PM
R
RangerRick Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
Well in Semi-auto chambered and with revolver....well of course its chambered.....5- 6 times, so to speak!

The way things should be are not often the way things are.....
Re: chambered or unchambered? [Re: Bigfoot] #6067125 12/04/15 10:42 PM
G
glb1955 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
The average decent shooter whom practices drawing and shooting, from a stimulus, will get the first shot off in about 1.25 seconds, when ready for the stimulus. Some are slower. It will take the normal person about 1.5 to 1.75 seconds to see a threat and begin to take action. A person shooting a semi-auto can shoot at a rate of one round per .15 seconds. If it takes around 1.5 to just react and start to respond, then add more time to that for the actual draw, and beginning to engage (if a round is chambered). The bad guy can get 6 to 10 rounds off before even being engaged, and that is being somewhat ready. If you are not chambered, then you do the math.

Excuse me for being ridiculous but it is my job to keep people alive and to make sure that officers are ready to react so that they can go home. It is your choice to carry and I have not one problem with it. If you are able (mentally and physically) to react and engage with another whom is trying to kill you, your family, or others, I want you to survive the encounter so that you can go home.

Regarding how my weapon is at home - well, I have taken care of that.

g

Re: chambered or unchambered? [Re: Pig_Popper] #6067223 12/04/15 11:53 PM
C
cyphertext Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: Tff caribou

NEVER open carry

My kids are well aware of gun safety and aren't afraid of putting holes in paper and tins cans.

This thread speaks to chambered or unchambered for carry in the public domain which to me represents a whole different arena when it comes to situations and shooter's discretion.

Example: let's say I'm out with the family and I'm going into a establishment that is 30.06 covered. So I leave the gun in the truck with the family and I'll only be a minute, on the way back to the truck I get into a discussion with a fella and it turns South. In theory the wife will come to my defense leaving the children in the truck but what if my child decides to assist if at this point I'm on the ground.

NOT a decision I want my child to make with a chambered gun!!!

Again in theory in this example it comes to be that the fella is kin who has a mental problem and the adults in the family are well aware of his problem but the kids aren't.

So new question(s) for readers:

1) for those who carry chambered all the time given the above example do you unchambered and stow or just stow?

2) who here trusts a 12 - 14 year old child to make a sound decision in the event a chambered gun comes into their possession in the midst of a volatile situation?

This scenario seems very far fetched, especially when you make the assailant your "mentally disabled kin"...

At 12 years old, I trusted my son around firearms. But by that age, my child had been hunting and shooting for several years. My son is more familiar with firearms than my wife is. At 16, he consistently outshoots me on the skeet field and dove field, and has for a couple of years. Many stories in the news where young teens have defended themselves and their families from robberies with dad's gun. It comes down to your individual child.

Given your example above, I simply stow the gun away in the holster. The less handling of the firearm, the less chance of negligent discharge.

Re: chambered or unchambered? [Re: Bigfoot] #6068648 12/06/15 01:35 AM
G
gusick Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
I've never heard of anyone carrying their handgun without ammo in the chamber. Is it a habit from carying the old revolvers?

Re: chambered or unchambered? [Re: Bigfoot] #6068695 12/06/15 01:59 AM
R
Regular Guy Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
Chambered when you are carrying. Chambered in the home. Chambered all the time, everywhere, as long as it is the gun your life depends on.

If you have children in the home, unless it is on your body it needs to be locked up. In which case ideally it is still chambered, in a biometric safe. If you don't have one, then it still needs to be locked up if you have small children. But having to open the safe at night, in the dark, without making noise is hard enough. Gun still needs to have one in the pipe ready to go.

Re: chambered or unchambered? [Re: TexFlip] #6068875 12/06/15 03:46 AM
O
okstatefan Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
O
Originally Posted By: TexFlip
1911 Condition 1. Always.

Absolutely.

Re: chambered or unchambered? [Re: Bigfoot] #6070033 12/07/15 01:52 AM
Superduty Online Content
"The Regulator"
Online Content
"The Regulator"
Iwb 5 o'clock. G36 always chambered. No external safety.

I mean if I had a gun, thats how I would do it.

'It's Only Treason if You Lose."
Re: chambered or unchambered? [Re: Bigfoot] #6070204 12/07/15 03:39 AM
B
Brandon82 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Chambered

Re: chambered or unchambered? [Re: Bigfoot] #6070214 12/07/15 03:49 AM
E
Elpatoloco Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
E
Cocked and Locked

Re: chambered or unchambered? [Re: Bigfoot] #6072393 12/08/15 09:35 AM
D
DH3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Condition one!

Old age and treachery beats youth and stupid every time!
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide