Forums46
Topics537,925
Posts9,730,747
Members87,051
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Neighbors Hunting the Property line. [Re: Wreckem04] #6058916 12/01/15 12:00 AM
D
Dalee7892 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
I have heard that human hair will chase deer away. Don't know if true, go to the barber and get a sack full.
Not to be nasty but it could start a deer war.

Re: Neighbors Hunting the Property line. [Re: huntwest] #6058926 12/01/15 12:04 AM
D
dkershen Offline
Rev Dave
Rev Dave
D
Originally Posted By: huntwest
I pead in my cousins deer feeder once a week for almost a whole season. It never slowed the deer down.
We pranked each other for years at our ranch. Had plenty of places to hunt.
He poured 5 bottles of Brute aftershave around one of mine, the deer acted real funny around it but after a week they were back eating corn.
It might scare them for a day bit not much more.

Glad I'm not your cousin.... wink

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: Neighbors Hunting the Property line. [Re: Wreckem04] #6058932 12/01/15 12:05 AM
J
jsplinter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
Or you could just hunt and be happy you own 100 acres. I have a 1/10th of that am happy I have what o can call my own land and some deer that pass through every once in a while

Re: Neighbors Hunting the Property line. [Re: Wreckem04] #6058982 12/01/15 12:26 AM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
About the only ethical thing you can do it put up a high fence on that side, and possibly on three sides to try and keep deer from moving on their property.

But I bet you would see a decrease in your deer sightings as well!

Who is to say that 7 pt 2 yo buck wasn't bedding down on their property or killing their feeder so they felt they needed to kill it to manage "their" herd of deer?

With only 100 acres, you are not going to make significant management practices take hold unless you have all the neighbors on board (you don't) and they are doing the same things you are doing (they aren't). So, I would recommend you just enjoy hunting and come to the quick realization that this 100 acre spot isn't going to be a trophy spot but just a fun hunting spot. It will make for much less heartache and you will enjoy the spot a lot more. Having said that, making the place more interesting for deer will be fun in and of itself...

Re: Neighbors Hunting the Property line. [Re: Wreckem04] #6059168 12/01/15 01:33 AM
W
Wreckem04 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
W
Their shots are spooking our deer at one of our stands but if I was to move mine farther from them that would spook the deer at my other location.

Re: Neighbors Hunting the Property line. [Re: Wreckem04] #6059191 12/01/15 01:37 AM
W
Wreckem04 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
W
Like I said earlier it's not so much them not wanting to follow our management thoughts. I mean they have every right to kill a deer that they see fit. It's more so them being so close to us that their gun shots spook our deer away.

Re: Neighbors Hunting the Property line. [Re: ddmm] #6059333 12/01/15 02:36 AM
I
ILikeRugers2 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
I
Originally Posted By: ddmm
You're going to aggravate yourself trying to control something you can't control.
Take the time and enjoy what you have.

I agree with this. I hunt an even smaller free place. You just have to enjoy it, do the best you can on your side and let the other side go. I used to go crazy watching four wheeler races at daylight, truck hunting, shooting competitions and all other types of unimaginable behavoir during hunting season as well as mass executions of all animals in sight...all after I carefully snuck into my stand super early and fed year round. Opening weekend of any season was a joke. Had to let it go and just out hunt them.

Go every chance you get and it will pay off.

Try not to compromise your goals because of the neighbors. You won't get a deer every year but when you do it will be so much more rewarding. Hang in there and don't try to sabotage anyone.

Re: Neighbors Hunting the Property line. [Re: ILikeRugers2] #6059390 12/01/15 03:00 AM
C
ChrisB Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Learn to bow hunt and don't go during their short gun season.

Re: Neighbors Hunting the Property line. [Re: Wreckem04] #6059394 12/01/15 03:01 AM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
That's the problem right there, you think the deer on your property are your deer. They aren't. They are state property. even so, spooking deer happens everywhere. There are noises all the time in the wild, a gun shot
Is just a noise to a deer and if it doesn't hurt the deer, the deer doesn't know a gun shot from a thunder roll. They will act spooked but it no worse than a neighbor running their 4 wheeler, the oil/gas guys driving in, etc, etc....things happen and you just have to roll with it. If you aren't happy hunting there then don't hunt there. You can control that. But don't worry about things you have no control over. Makes for a very long and frustrating life
cheers

Re: Neighbors Hunting the Property line. [Re: ChrisB] #6059401 12/01/15 03:03 AM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: ChrisB
Learn to bow hunt and don't go during their short gun season.

This was my response to increasing deer pressure last year around my
Place. Unfortunately it was so hot and dry this bow season we didn't get anything, but it was still fun. There's always next year and until then we will gun hunt the best we can.

Stuff happens, just gotta roll with it!

Re: Neighbors Hunting the Property line. [Re: Wreckem04] #6059411 12/01/15 03:06 AM
Y
Yardboy Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Y
I have a few friends from Oklahoma and according to them, there's only two seasons in Oklahoma...

Salt & pepper.

Re: Neighbors Hunting the Property line. [Re: Wreckem04] #6059434 12/01/15 03:13 AM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
roflmao

Re: Neighbors Hunting the Property line. [Re: Wreckem04] #6059577 12/01/15 04:02 AM
R
Ranch Dog Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Over the last couple of years my fence pressure has increased. I do a couple of things to minimize the impact that fence hunters will have on my place.
  1. Food plots - Spring & fall. My place is a rectangle so I brought a bulldozer in and ran a 60' sendero up the middle of it lengthwise and the same across the middle of it crosswise so my place is kind of quartered now. This "cross" is always planted and never hunted. I picked up some pressure on the NW quadrant last year so I had a 20' strip cut the length of that quarter 100 yards in from the fence but parallel to it. It is now planted like the others and not hunted as well.
  2. Fence lines - My fence lines are clear and wide. I maintain them throughout the year to keep them clean. I want a deer to feel exposed if he wanders out of my place, most of the neighboring pressure is from places that have little habitat.
  3. Feeders - I don't feed from March through July because my food plots do so well but when I start, I put the wood to it. Every feeder puts out 10# a day. I also spend a lot of time in the month before deer season out on my fence lines listening to feeder and the times they go off, both morning & evening. I want to have a jump on theirs and feed more. I also will use multiple settings to feed in the predawn hours to hold deer in troubled areas.
  4. Prescribed Burns - The end of hunting season means that I get busy preparing and completing prescribed burns. I rotate blocks of habitat so that I get a complete burn of the place every six years. The benefits of this are too huge to go into here. I started with help from TPWD but do it on my own now.
  5. Stop mowing before hunting season - In that I live in hunting country I see a lot of landowner/hunters sprucing their places up and they are always out there with a tractor & shredder. My fences are clear as I described in the last point but I don't mow anything after about mid summer. I've learned it is really important to make your place as inviting as possible for the deer & unmowed roads and senderos are part of that.
  6. I do not pressure my place - I don't hunt it constantly, I hunt it quietly, and I hunt it carefully so that I don't pressure deer off my place. If I could put a muffler on my motors/spinners I would.
  7. Keep your ears open - You never know what you are going to hear and who you will hear it from. It might be a tank truck or school bus driver, well gauger, or cow guy but someone knows what really is going on across the fence. I'm not a nosey guy but had the guy with the cows on the problem place approach me at the feed store and tell me all the all that was going on next door. It was great intelligence and helped form my approach to limiting the effect of their pressure on my place.
  8. Finally - It is what it is and you can only do so much. All the above is really not a huge effort, just small stuff that adds up.
I did have a neighbor get to me this year. Placed a feeder 15' from my fence, shooting towards the fence, and all he has is an open coastal pasture with absolutely no habit. One of my good friends is a GW and shoots on my range. He saw it and told me to call if the guy shoots but I told him I didn't think it would be an issue. What I did was piss in a milk jug for two months. Every other day I would drive along the fence in my Mule and pour the collection out 150 yards on each side of the stand/feeder. At about the 40 day mark the feeder went empty and the corn was rotting underneath. We had a big windstorm and it blew over and is still laying in the mud. A couple of days later I told my wife it really feels strange to pee in a toilet and not a milk jug!

So you don't think I'm a total jerk, I have a neighbor on the other side of me. He has 9 or so acres with no habitat but the wants to hunt the land he lives on. He took a different approach by contacting me and to see what I thought about a feeder very close to my fence as there is nowhere else to put it, it is just as close as the other. I told him I appreciated him saying something about it, that he did not need my permission, and I wished him the best of luck. In this situation, I depend on my property's health to win and his hunting pressure to curtail what happens. Lucky for him, he did kill a spike. He is a good neighbor, always ready to pitch in. I trust him to always do the right thing. May be the guy on the other side is just as good but with the setup shooting directly into my place and not warning me, I already don't trust him.

All of my hunting setups are constructed so that I'm shooting towards the center of my property. So naturally my blinds are closer to the fenceline but are not on them or in sight of the them. That causes me to travel and park on the fence lines and walk into the hunting area. My lines of travel and parking areas are concentrated on the problem spots. The troubling feeder mentioned above is 15 yards from where I have parked for 10 years so you can guess where my truck was on the opening weekend of bow season and every weekend since. Just like the neighbors are using their property as they see fit, so do I and I make no apologies or adjustment on their behalf.

[Linked Image]
Re: Neighbors Hunting the Property line. [Re: Wreckem04] #6059591 12/01/15 04:10 AM
Ramsey Online Content
Pepe' Le Pew
Online Content
Pepe' Le Pew
You do have leverage if you choose to use it. Ask them to move back a bit for next season. If they do not want to. Let them know they cant come on your property if they have to track a deer.

Big Beckett!!
Re: Neighbors Hunting the Property line. [Re: Wreckem04] #6059655 12/01/15 04:42 AM
C
cattle69 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Had neighbors put up a stand and feeder right on our north fence line. So I put up this pop blind right next to it to prove a point. Hopefully they will get the picture. People who hunt fence lines are perfectly legal. There is also no law against it, just like there is no law against sneaking a peak at your neighbors wiener at the urinal. But I will tell you neither should be tolerated in my book.

Last edited by cattle69; 12/01/15 04:43 AM.

[Linked Image]
President and cofounder of magical pellet club.
Re: Neighbors Hunting the Property line. [Re: Wreckem04] #6059769 12/01/15 07:09 AM
T
TxDispatcher Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Wreckem04
Their shots are spooking our deer at one of our stands but if I was to move mine farther from them that would spook the deer at my other location.

So they should accommodate you by moving their stand? Why? If they came to you with the exact same proposition, would you do it, and mess up you "other" spot? I highly doubt it. Enjoy your 100 acres and quit worrying about what others do on their land. I hear shots every week here at the house, and I guess which deer it may be that was killed...not once have I EVER thought "I need to go tell those hunters that we decided to let that young buck grow, so they need to agree with me and do what I do" grin

Originally Posted by East...
Originally Posted by East...
I will get off in a little bit

You shouldnt have said that
Re: Neighbors Hunting the Property line. [Re: Wreckem04] #6059828 12/01/15 12:30 PM
A
Auctioneer1 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: Wreckem04
Like I said earlier it's not so much them not wanting to follow our management thoughts. I mean they have every right to kill a deer that they see fit. It's more so them being so close to us that their gun shots spook our deer away.

So if he moves a couple hundred yards away do you think it would still scare your deer? I mean how far would you like them to move on their land so your deer don't get scared? Have you thought about you shooting and scaring their deer at the feeder? Have you thought about moving your blind? Not trying to be a azz here but your never going to be happy trying to do what you want on small tracks of land. Just go hunting enjoy it and do the right thing.

Re: Neighbors Hunting the Property line. [Re: cattle69] #6060020 12/01/15 02:16 PM
R
Ranch Dog Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: cattle69
Had neighbors put up a stand and feeder right on our north fence line. So I put up this pop blind right next to it to prove a point. Hopefully they will get the picture. People who hunt fence lines are perfectly legal. There is also no law against it, just like there is no law against sneaking a peak at your neighbors wiener at the urinal. But I will tell you neither should be tolerated in my book.

Exactly! If my pee treatment wouldn't have worked, I would have moved a 15' tower blind to the fence line. Would have taken me less than 15 minutes with the front end loader and pallet forks.

[Linked Image]
Re: Neighbors Hunting the Property line. [Re: cattle69] #6060029 12/01/15 02:18 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N

Id just smile and wave at you

Re: Neighbors Hunting the Property line. [Re: Wreckem04] #6060078 12/01/15 02:33 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
I'd say your best bet is to keep your place quiet fed heavy and water available all the time. Save your shots for the buck you want, don't shoot a bunch of does or cull bucks etc. The deer will recognize your place isn't pressured and the neighbors is and reside more on your property.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Neighbors Hunting the Property line. [Re: Wreckem04] #6060115 12/01/15 02:50 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Don't fire a rifle or any shots... start bow hunting it... I do this with 40acres and see 3times the deer than anyone near me.. could be how much I feed could be how quiet it stays but that's my take on it...

Re: Neighbors Hunting the Property line. [Re: Wreckem04] #6060144 12/01/15 03:04 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
To quote my post on the "ethics" thread,

"I wouldn't confuse ethics/morality with personal choice. As long as someone is not breaking the laws, there's nothing I can do about a guy putting a blind and feeder on his property. I can only hope that he pushes deer to more stay on my property than his. If I ultimately didn't like it, I'd probably sell the property or high fence it before moaning/groaning about something I cannot control or impact."

Re: Neighbors Hunting the Property line. [Re: Wreckem04] #6060175 12/01/15 03:17 PM
B
BenBob Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I would rather have them on the fence line shooting back into their property rather than in the middle of their pasture shooting towards me for safety purpose. If you are concerned with one of them shooting across the fence, that is an entirely different worry. With it only being 100 acres, these is more fence line to worry about than there are acres to hunt.

Tired, Wired, and Uninspired
Re: Neighbors Hunting the Property line. [Re: Navasot] #6060225 12/01/15 03:42 PM
8pointdrop Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: Navasot

If it's my blind we're having a beer and trading game cam pics nav!!

Let's not put too much thought into simple stuff fellas. Hunt how you want, let the neighbor do the same, and the biggest kicker....just be a neighbor.

Re: Neighbors Hunting the Property line. [Re: 8pointdrop] #6060226 12/01/15 03:43 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: 8pointdrop
Originally Posted By: Navasot

If it's my blind we're having a beer and trading game cam pics nav!!

Let's not put too much thought into simple stuff fellas. Hunt how you want, let the neighbor do the same, and the biggest kicker....just be a neighbor.
cheers Why cant neighbors be just that

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide