Print Thread
RF/Bino-Yes I know this is the Reloading Forum #6053513 11/28/15 12:52 AM
B
bobsumner Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
B
Title explains it. The knowledge for LR shooting seems very knowledgeable here. Thinking about a combo RF/Bino, specifically the Leica HD Geovids, instead of a dedicated LRF. Any pros/cons to this approach for ranging targets specifically for LR shooting? Trying to combine two needs because of cost.

Re: RF/Bino-Yes I know this is the Reloading Forum [Re: bobsumner] #6053523 11/28/15 12:57 AM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
So why not put it in the Optics section? confused2

I've read good reports about the Leicas.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: RF/Bino-Yes I know this is the Reloading Forum [Re: bobsumner] #6053701 11/28/15 02:42 AM
D
DStroud Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
I have used the Leica HD-B with the built in ballistic program. As far as the rangefinder it's really a good RF and of course the Glass is nice. The Ballistic portion of the bino is not up to others such as The G7.
If you need bino's not a bad way to go.
If I were focused on both LR target and LR hunting I think I would wait on the new Bushnell ConX that will Bluetooth to the brand new Kestrel 5700 and or the Sportsman version.The Sportsman Kestrel will come packaged with the ConX next spring .... So they say.

"Anyone taking up handloading necessarily plays with unknown factors and takes chances. But so does anyone who drives a car,goes to a cocktail party,eats in a restaurant,or gets married."

Jack O'Connor 1963
Re: RF/Bino-Yes I know this is the Reloading Forum [Re: bobsumner] #6053835 11/28/15 04:05 AM
Ritter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
For the price of the Leica you are buying a great pair of binoculars with a very good laser rangefinder built into them. What you are not getting is a true ballistic computer. If you use one of the preloaded ballistic curves it will probably be close enough to get on target at 500 yards or maybe even to 600 yards. The better route is to program a custom ballistic curve using their website, download it to a micro SD card and then load that curve into the Leica.

I have used Leicas before and was impressed with the image and accuracy of the rangefinder. Not so much by the ballistic solutions. It still works better than Zeiss or Swarovski for getting your shot onto target at short to midrange.

You won't find a rangefinder that will match the optical performance of the Leica, Swarovski or Zeiss. You will also find that these Bino/LRF combos won't match ballistic accuracy of the G7 or the range finding accuracy of Vectronix LRFs. They also perform as rangefinders better than the current offerings from Leupold, Vortex, Bushnell or Nikon.

It's difficult to find a product that will excel in all three functions. If optical performance is your primary need they are great. If an accurate, long range LRF is the primary duty they are great. They are a compromise as a ballistic rangefinder. Since they do determine shot inclination, temperature and station pressure, you can use them with a good program like Shooter or Applied Ballistic or even a Kestrel with AB or Horus and overcome their only real shortfall.

I personally went with the G7 so I didn't have to depend on using a phone/app/kestrel for the ballistic solution and carry a pair of Swarovski SLC's for glassing duty.

Re: RF/Bino-Yes I know this is the Reloading Forum [Re: Ritter] #6054026 11/28/15 11:25 AM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I don't see where he mentioned wanting a ballistic program built in.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: RF/Bino-Yes I know this is the Reloading Forum [Re: J.G.] #6054125 11/28/15 02:04 PM
B
bobsumner Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
B
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
I don't see where he mentioned wanting a ballistic program built in.

I did not, but as always good information.

Re: RF/Bino-Yes I know this is the Reloading Forum [Re: bobsumner] #6054130 11/28/15 02:07 PM
R
rrflyer Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
I had a pair of the 12x bushnells arcs for a long time. They worked great and I was ranging targets out to 1800+ yards.

The cons are that they're big and bulky. I ended up with a Bushnell range finder that's a lot more compact.

Re: RF/Bino-Yes I know this is the Reloading Forum [Re: Ritter] #6054173 11/28/15 02:34 PM
B
bobsumner Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
B
Originally Posted By: Ritter
For the price of the Leica you are buying a great pair of binoculars with a very good laser rangefinder built into them. What you are not getting is a true ballistic computer. If you use one of the preloaded ballistic curves it will probably be close enough to get on target at 500 yards or maybe even to 600 yards. The better route is to program a custom ballistic curve using their website, download it to a micro SD card and then load that curve into the Leica.

I have used Leicas before and was impressed with the image and accuracy of the rangefinder. Not so much by the ballistic solutions. It still works better than Zeiss or Swarovski for getting your shot onto target at short to midrange.

You won't find a rangefinder that will match the optical performance of the Leica, Swarovski or Zeiss. You will also find that these Bino/LRF combos won't match ballistic accuracy of the G7 or the range finding accuracy of Vectronix LRFs. They also perform as rangefinders better than the current offerings from Leupold, Vortex, Bushnell or Nikon.

It's difficult to find a product that will excel in all three functions. If optical performance is your primary need they are great. If an accurate, long range LRF is the primary duty they are great. They are a compromise as a ballistic rangefinder. Since they do determine shot inclination, temperature and station pressure, you can use them with a good program like Shooter or Applied Ballistic or even a Kestrel with AB or Horus and overcome their only real shortfall.

I personally went with the G7 so I didn't have to depend on using a phone/app/kestrel for the ballistic solution and carry a pair of Swarovski SLC's for glassing duty.

This was my original thought and may be coming back full circle to this.

Re: RF/Bino-Yes I know this is the Reloading Forum [Re: bobsumner] #6054180 11/28/15 02:37 PM
H
huntwest Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
The new Leica HD- R has the ballistic program built in and can be customized.

Last edited by huntwest; 11/28/15 02:37 PM.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide