Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics536,994
Posts9,719,241
Members86,987
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Texas Hunter Protein Feeder or All Seasons Protein Feeder #6004592 11/01/15 04:18 PM
wonk Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
Does anyone have any feedback on the Xtreme Texas Hunter Protein Feeder or the Pro Evo All Seasons Protein Feeder?

Some things I was wondering about is there a lot of feed that is wasted due to varmints? The All Seasons claims that it is varmint proof as to where the Texas Hunter looks more open on the tube end.

When the weather becomes humid or wet does the feed get soggy and mushy at the open port of the feed tubes on either brand? The area I hunt in usually has a lot of humidity, dew, and rain and worry about the feed inside turning soggy and mushy and having to clean it out to get it working again.

Are one of these feeders better than the other for that aspect of varmints and weather?

I don't have a high volume of deer traffic, maybe a total 5-10 which include day & night (combination of bucks & does), a few coons (which will be taken care of soon), and a pig here and there and was leaning towards the smaller gravity feeders such as the 600lb (Xtreme Texas Hunter) and the 500lb (Pro Evo All Seasons) and I'm able to fill them about every 2-3 weeks. Would these sizes be okay or would it be better to upgrade to the larger sizes?

Links posted for reference:

http://www.texashunterproducts.com/texas-hunter-600-lb-xtreme-protein-feeder/

http://www.allseasonsfeeders.com/collections/protein-feeders/products/500lb-pro-evo

Re: Texas Hunter Protein Feeder or All Seasons Protein Feeder [Re: wonk] #6005192 11/01/15 11:07 PM
T
TimOub007 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
I have an older All Seasons 1,000 pound model with the extended tubes similar to that Texas Hunter; they don't make them like this anymore I believe. It has been a good feeder as have been the four 1,000 All Seasons corn feeders with The Timer and SpinTech plates.

I bought a 2,000 pound All Seasons Evo a couple of years ago and have been pleased with it too. I have not had any issues with moisture getting the protein gummed up in those wide, rectangular tubes. I do think that the animals spill a little more feed on the ground with the rectangular tubes though. I have seen a lot of coons on camera and trapped over 100 in the last 3+ years (Dukes) but I have rarely, if ever, gotten a pic of one hanging off the tubes.

At the first of this year I bought a couple of no name protein feeders from Junction Warehouse in Junction. These hold about 1,300 pounds of pellets and only cost $500. If you are in the Austin area look up Krivoman feeders. I would like to try one of his timed protein models if I ever need another.

Tim

Last edited by TimOub007; 11/01/15 11:10 PM. Reason: SpinTech plates not Eliminator
Re: Texas Hunter Protein Feeder or All Seasons Protein Feeder [Re: wonk] #6006866 11/02/15 09:14 PM
M
msj7x57 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
I bought and used a Pro Evo 1000lb feeder this year and I'm very pleased with it. I had a camera on it all summer and it did prove to be pretty coon proof. Only got a couple of pics of a coon trying to gain a hold of the tube to get at the feed. There is some spillage when the deer feed, but it seems other deer clean it up and keep the coons away. Have had no issues with clogging. I would go with the 1,000lb, it's only a few bucks more than the 500 at mumme's where I got mine. I needed to fill my 1,000lb about once a month. The feed rate is adjustable on each feed tube.

Re: Texas Hunter Protein Feeder or All Seasons Protein Feeder [Re: wonk] #6019250 11/09/15 04:21 PM
J
jgc Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
J
I recently got a Kirvoman timed protean feeder. Have not set it up yet - but REALLY like the concept. It has a timed gate - you set when the gate opens and closes. You can feed at will, daytime only.

Re: Texas Hunter Protein Feeder or All Seasons Protein Feeder [Re: wonk] #6023357 11/11/15 05:21 PM
wonk Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
Thanks for the responses! I was hoping to get some feedback on the Texas Hunter protein feeder, but didn't receive any and tried researching reviews on them, but came up empty. After speaking to several manufactures that build protein feeders I settled on the All Seasons Pro Evo protein feeder. In doing my research I also came across a system called "The Hammer". This timing system gives you the option of making your protein feeder a gravity feeder or giving you the option to set designated times to go off and release feed into the chutes so it's the best of both worlds in my opinion. Also, if you order the Hammer be sure to get extended legs on the feeder, because the system will lower the chutes about a foot. I would like to leave it as a gravity feeder in the offseason and once hunting season starts setting the times on when I'm most likely in the stand during daylight hours. Hopefully this will some folks out if you are looking at a protein feeder and want the option of having both a gravity feeder and timed feeder.

Last edited by wonk; 11/11/15 05:24 PM.
Re: Texas Hunter Protein Feeder or All Seasons Protein Feeder [Re: wonk] #6024788 11/12/15 11:53 AM
R
Ramball36 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
If you're looking for a hammer feeder wonk I've got a brand new one in the shop. We sell them

Re: Texas Hunter Protein Feeder or All Seasons Protein Feeder [Re: Ramball36] #6025426 11/12/15 04:36 PM
wonk Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
Originally Posted By: Ramball36
If you're looking for a hammer feeder wonk I've got a brand new one in the shop. We sell them

I appreciate the offer, but when I got the feeder I also got the hammer. I'll see how it works on this first one and will probably be ordering 1 or 2 more if things go well with it.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide