Forums46
Topics537,992
Posts9,731,478
Members87,053
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Checking oil wells on opening morning? [Re: RedRaider13] #6016531 11/07/15 07:00 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: RedRaider13
I prefer to be civil like you say. I'm letting the land owner handle it, he has called the owner (it's a small local company). If I see the pumper next weekend, I'll offer to take him to town and get breakfast. When you can't hunt, you might as well eat.

That's the way to do!

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Checking oil wells on opening morning? [Re: RedRaider13] #6016574 11/07/15 07:34 PM
Homer Jay Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
loco

"Like a slice of fried gold!"
Re: Checking oil wells on opening morning? [Re: RedRaider13] #6018799 11/09/15 12:45 PM
H
Hogflyer Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
Remember he has a job to do, so the attitude you bring to the table will last longer than his
at the moment. Hopefully you can come to terms with his sked, if not offer someo of your wifes,
cookies or fresh bake cake or bread! usually would work with me!

Food is a good alternative bribe! and again, the deer ignore those trucks after a while,
they are there....

good luck.....

"Buy more ammo, save it for a rainy day."
Re: Checking oil wells on opening morning? [Re: RedRaider13] #6018911 11/09/15 02:01 PM
D
Dry Fire Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Years ago on another lease, the driller started Exploratory Well #1 on the ranch, the weekend before opening day. That year we killed more beer than deer.

coffee spelled backwards is eeffoc. I don't give eeffoc until I have my morning coffee.
Re: Checking oil wells on opening morning? [Re: Dry Fire] #6019103 11/09/15 03:27 PM
S
sqiggy Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
They check our wells every day. Even though he may be in there once a week, I'm willing to bet he knows more about the deer than you do. What I would do is befriend him and pick his brain a little. The pumpers on our place will tell us what they are seeing and where they see them at. Good info can go a long ways.
Just Sayin!!

Re: Checking oil wells on opening morning? [Re: RedRaider13] #6019554 11/09/15 06:42 PM
D
djs303 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Those guys are good to get acquainted with. Years ago I made friends with the guager on our place and he called me up and let me know he observed a large buck rutting a doe on the property. Changed my plans and went hunting and was able to take a nice 11 pointer that afternoon.

Re: Checking oil wells on opening morning? [Re: RedRaider13] #6019568 11/09/15 06:51 PM
N
noland Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
N
Hope u can figure something out, but I wouldn't let it bother you to much. I hunt on and around a dairy and they are constantly in and out of fields doing work on tractors and spraying manure with big trucks and the deer are so used to it that they barely even look up. We have a stand that is so close u can hear the workers hollering and whistling at the cows and we see plenty of deer. I wouldn't stress over it

Re: Checking oil wells on opening morning? [Re: sqiggy] #6019609 11/09/15 07:15 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: sqiggy
They check our wells every day. Even though he may be in there once a week, I'm willing to bet he knows more about the deer than you do. What I would do is befriend him and pick his brain a little. The pumpers on our place will tell us what they are seeing and where they see them at. Good info can go a long ways.
Just Sayin!!

yep, same goes with ranch hand/cowboys on larger ranches. I have stopped by and introduced myself to several of the NG guys on the place outside of Ozona, exchanged phone numbers, invited them by my makeshift camp for coffee/bite to eat. They are there every day and know a lot more about the game than I could ever do only going out every other month during the off season. They watch out for my stuff (feeders, stands, camp, etc.) in case something were to happen due to weather and I watch out for something gone wrong with one of the well sites, pipes, etc. easy to make friends if they know who you are. Likewise, the game gets used to the vehicles that pass thru the ranch, especially those there all the time, usually anyway.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Checking oil wells on opening morning? [Re: RedRaider13] #6019715 11/09/15 08:19 PM
B
Bengoin Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
The deer should be used to the daily oil field traffic. It's "normal" activity in their living room!! I guess all the oil field activity came to that area after you put in your set? Or did you knowingly put a set in next to oil field activity. To me unless you were there before the oil activity, you don't really have a gripe.

Re: Checking oil wells on opening morning? [Re: RedRaider13] #6021774 11/10/15 09:32 PM
R
RedRaider13 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
R
I am not set up next to the oil well, the guy just happens to drive past my stand and feeder on the way to check it. It's one old well that is checked once a week. It barely produces enough to justify it being there. Until this year, it was always checked early in the week (Monday or Tuesday). It has not been a problem the last 10 years. The landowner contacted the oil company, and said it should be resolved, the guy will go back to checking them on Mondays. Landowner also said that if the guy comes through again on a weekend he would start parking a tractor in front of the gate on Friday nights. I told him that wasn't necessary, I understand the guy is just doing his job. I will say it's nice when a land owner (who owns all the mineral rights) has your back. It's the difference in just a hunting lease and a hunter/ landowner friendship.

Re: Checking oil wells on opening morning? [Re: RedRaider13] #6022110 11/11/15 12:38 AM
R
RovingTexan Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
We have a condensing station (or something like that) on our land and they come a couple of times a day. The deer get used to them and they generally don't make much noise. I've talked to most of the guys and they are really nice guys. When I talk to them they always ask how I'm doing and about the activity. The only thing that perplexes me, and maybe some of you pipeline guys can help, is on my neighbors property every few weeks there is something that sounds like it's letting off pressure. Every few minutes it will let off a sound like a pressure cooker letting off steam. This will go on for a couple of hours and then stop. Not sure what that is and I'm sure it messes up the deer, but I just ride it out.

We've also had a rough time getting them to maintain the dam crossing the creek, but we aren't pushing too hard because we understand prices are down and they are just trying to stay afloat right now. So we have been doing most of the maintenance ourselves until times are a little less lean for them. Like most people said, if you treat them with respect and are courteous, they will almost always do the same.

So what's that damn "PSHHHHHHH" sound?

Re: Checking oil wells on opening morning? [Re: RedRaider13] #6022216 11/11/15 01:36 AM
T
TX Hitman Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Like most have said, they get used to it.

I drive around my place year round on the ranger. I have pics of deer literally minutes before I show up and after I leave. Drove up on a buck at the feeder this weekend.

My buddies place hardly gets driven around. We have a harder time hunting there because it's so quiet all of time. The deer and pigs know when we get there. realmad

Re: Checking oil wells on opening morning? [Re: RovingTexan] #6022299 11/11/15 02:12 AM
T
TravisP Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Originally Posted By: RovingTexan
We have a condensing station (or something like that) on our land and they come a couple of times a day. The deer get used to them and they generally don't make much noise. I've talked to most of the guys and they are really nice guys. When I talk to them they always ask how I'm doing and about the activity. The only thing that perplexes me, and maybe some of you pipeline guys can help, is on my neighbors property every few weeks there is something that sounds like it's letting off pressure. Every few minutes it will let off a sound like a pressure cooker letting off steam. This will go on for a couple of hours and then stop. Not sure what that is and I'm sure it messes up the deer, but I just ride it out.

We've also had a rough time getting them to maintain the dam crossing the creek, but we aren't pushing too hard because we understand prices are down and they are just trying to stay afloat right now. So we have been doing most of the maintenance ourselves until times are a little less lean for them. Like most people said, if you treat them with respect and are courteous, they will almost always do the same.

So what's that damn "PSHHHHHHH" sound?

Moonshine distillery haha

Hunting in magnolia would be better in a gated community.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide