Print Thread
elk hunting boots? #5991166 10/23/15 11:12 PM
H
hookemhorns Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
H
Headed to Jackson hole next September for an elk hunt. Need recommendations for good boots. It will be walking but also some horseback. Any suggestions would help.

God is deep but he is not complicated.
Re: elk hunting boots? [Re: hookemhorns] #5991249 10/24/15 12:14 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Couple quick questions....

How into western hunting are you? As in every year or every few years?
I got the pack horses but do you ever plan on not having them?
What does your pack weight?
Bow or rifle hunts?

One time guided deal -danner high ground or even UA

Every year deal- Lowa, Zamerlain, kenetrek, scrapa, hanwag, crispi----> of those it depends on pack weight and if you need insulated.

Know this a boot that fits me great my fit terrible on you. Everyone has different shaped feet

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: elk hunting boots? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5991699 10/24/15 01:10 PM
H
hookemhorns Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
H
first time elk hunt. going with a guide

Re: elk hunting boots? [Re: hookemhorns] #5991701 10/24/15 01:12 PM
H
hookemhorns Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
H
It is the first rifle season and I dont know the pack weight

Re: elk hunting boots? [Re: hookemhorns] #5991816 10/24/15 02:48 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: hookemhorns

I prefer a stiffer sole. Non insulated but I normally only hunt archery season.

Danner high ground or UA boots will work for you, and won't be near the investment of a mountaineering type boot. You can go to Cabela's and try on the mendi western guide(mountaineering type boot) and the danner high ground. From there you can decide which stiffness you prefer. If you decide that western hunting is going to be a yearly deal I'd say invest in the mountaineering type boot like mendi, zamberlians, lowa, kennetrek, etc

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: elk hunting boots? [Re: hookemhorns] #5992093 10/24/15 06:18 PM
C
Cleric Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
Figure out your temperature range and where the same sox that you will at the time. I use my pronghorns in Colorado and they were tighter than normal because of my bigger sox

Re: elk hunting boots? [Re: hookemhorns] #5992109 10/24/15 06:33 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
I would ask your guide/outfitter what you need out of the ones BOBO listed, or what they prefer. They will know exactly what you will be getting into, amount of walking, temps ect tra. I know uncomfortable feet is probably the worst hunt killer overall.

I have Elk hunted in everything from tennis shoes to heavy insulated Soral's, being on stand, or on the move, rocky and hilly terrain, makes a huge difference in comfort, I'd get the outfitters recommendations, since they have "boots on the ground" so to speak.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: elk hunting boots? [Re: hookemhorns] #5994670 10/26/15 01:17 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I take two pairs of boots on elk hunts: one pair of regular good quality hikers (like Merrell's, etc.) and one pair of stiffer traditional mountain hunting boots (Lowa, Kenetrek, etc.).

Then I let the weather and terrain conditions dictate which ones I wear. Where I elk hunt, some days are spent in lower elevation easier terrain and some are in steeper more rocky terrain. If the weather is not nasty (snow,sleet,rain) it's hard to get me out of the lightweight hikers.

But everyone is different. Some guys swear by the ankle support the stiffer boots provide. I am willing to accept that tradeoff for the lighter weight of the hikers most of the time.

I am now thinking I have found a good "best of both worlds" compromise for me in Kenetrek Hardscrabble hikers - a stiffer hiking boot with a tough rubber rand. But lighter since it's a lower cut hiker. Pair them with gaiters in bad weather and carry on.....

Choosing the right boots is really different for everyone based on their own personal preferences. If you opt for one pair, then 1)default to a good quality stiffer boot like those mentioned above and 2)make sure they fit YOU well/comfortably using the exact sock/sock combination you will be hunting in.

I highly recommend using a thin liner sock along with a quality hunting sock to reduce blisters.

Good hunting!

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: elk hunting boots? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5994950 10/26/15 04:12 PM
S
Stickchunker Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Danner high ground or UA boots will work for you, and won't be near the investment of a mountaineering type boot. You can go to Cabela's and try on the mendi western guide(mountaineering type boot) and the danner high ground. From there you can decide which stiffness you prefer. If you decide that western hunting is going to be a yearly deal I'd say invest in the mountaineering type boot like mendi, zamberlians, lowa, kennetrek, etc

^^^^This

Don't go out and spend $400.00 on your 1st set of Mountain Boots, you could very well get up there and figure out Mountain hunting is not your thing. I have a pair of High Grounds that I've worn for 2 seasons, i'll be purchasing a quality pair of mountain boots this year, as archery elk hunting has become a yearly thing for me.

In these times , 'I'll keep my God , my freedom , my gun and my money. Anyone that supports this insanity can keep "THE CHANGE".
Re: elk hunting boots? [Re: hookemhorns] #5996352 10/27/15 01:31 PM
L
LG Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
L
Danner....

Never look a monkey in the eye
Re: elk hunting boots? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5996415 10/27/15 02:08 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Oops---Forgot about the Danner Gila. Sole Stiffness it would be between mountaineering and danner high ground.

Re: elk hunting boots? [Re: hookemhorns] #5996983 10/27/15 07:26 PM
B
Big Fitz Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
There are folks here with much more experience and advice than me and I definitely agree with back-up hiking boots but I'll add Cebela's Perfekt by Meindl. They rate 4.7 out of 5.0 with 300 reviews and I was impressed with their comfort, support and ease of break-in. I'm a big ole boy with bad ankles from years of basketball and I was impressed with their support. I use Danner Pronghorns as back-ups but they simply are not comfortable for my feet. I think you can compare Danner's reviews on Cabela's as well.

Cabelas Perfekt by Miendl

Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
I was wrong...on anything technical.

Originally Posted by Sailor
Fitz............. is right, ya know............
Re: elk hunting boots? [Re: hookemhorns] #6013929 11/06/15 05:51 AM
J
Jon B Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
Danner Pronghorns and wool socks. I prefer the Un-insulated version even for horseback hunts. They will fit in normal stirrups and unless you are going to be sitting for a long period of time they are plenty warm. Do NOT skimp on socks!

I wish stupidity was not so handsomly rewarded.
Re: elk hunting boots? [Re: hookemhorns] #6018719 11/09/15 07:06 AM
M
mustafa Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I like russels

Team Barbacoa Pro Staff.
Dallas Safari Club Life Member
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread