Print Thread
Buying used bows? #5998914 10/28/15 08:14 PM
J
jsplinter Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
J
So I am looking to get back into bow hunting. I havent shot a bow since I joined the military 14 years ago. I have always known the names of Hoyt and Matthews as top bows. I see a few for sale in the trading section. Any recommendations on whether I should buy used or new? brand and possibly model to look for? I am in no rush as I wont hunt with it until next year but I am wanting to start looking now.

Thanks for any inputs

Re: Buying used bows? [Re: jsplinter] #5999659 10/29/15 03:24 AM
B
Bdontexoma Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
First of all thank you for your continued service for our country!!

In my opinion, with the technology in archery and the stiff competition in bow manufactures any "name brand" bow that is within 3-4 years old is probably going to get the job done and you will be completely satisfied. I shoot a 2012 PSE Bowmadness and im very satisfied with it. That being said, I haven't shot many other bows, so im somewhat biased.

I would advise to buy a very versatile bow that will allow a full range of adjustability; meaning 40-70lbs weight range and a wide range for draw length. Some manufactures require different limbs or cams to get to a different weight or length and other simply require a screwdriver and about 15 seconds.

I will always buy a used bow. Mostly because I cant justify $900-$1200 + another $$$ on accessories.

Hope that helps. Didn't really answer your question, but its kinda like saying Ford, Chevy of Dodge. Try to shoot as many as you can and choose from there.

Re: Buying used bows? [Re: jsplinter] #5999670 10/29/15 03:34 AM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Thank you for your service flag

Nothing wrong with buying a used bow. I have only bought a couple of new bows, most have been used.

Couple of key points to look for in buying a used bow:
-have your draw length checked at a local bow shop. Buy a bow that fits you, don't try to fit the bow.
-I would shoot different bows. Many bow shops will let you pick and choose.
-Brand isn't as important to me as feel. Speed doesn't make a difference either, I shoot for consistency.
-Unless you know and trust the person you are buying from, have a bow tech inspect the bow before buying. With a newer bow, it is difficult for someone to mess one up beyond repair, but some people don't take care of their equipment
-Don't discount a bow because of looks or scratches. Just because it has been used and has a few "war wounds" doesn't mean that the hunter didn't take care of it. Chances are, the hunter is one that hunted hard and made sure his equipment was truly in hunting condition

Budget would be the driving factor for me if I was buying a bow, used versus new.

Good luck to you sir cheers

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Buying used bows? [Re: jsplinter] #5999757 10/29/15 10:10 AM
R
RangerRick Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
JSPLINTER, Here Is a good online retailer that caters specifically to Bow Hunters and sell true ready to hunt,and tuned, every thing complete bow packages(Arrows,Release,Broadheads,Bowcase,etc etc)you can pick some of the options even. they start at $359. I think if your serious it be a good place to look!They cover a lot of extra info and basics on their website also! Free Shipping also!

Hunters Friend Bow Packages

The way things should be are not often the way things are.....
Re: Buying used bows? [Re: jsplinter] #5999831 10/29/15 12:17 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
How much are you looking to spend?

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Buying used bows? [Re: jsplinter] #6000167 10/29/15 03:06 PM
J
jsplinter Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
J
Thank you all for the input. When I started out shooting for 4-H i had a cheap bow, I dont even remember the name of it, but it followed me on until I killed my first deer with it. Point being I am not necassarily stuck on brand names, I just want to get something that is going to last. I will find a shop around me and go shoot some to see what feels right and get my draw length figured out again. Thank you all for the inputs, RR I really like that site, thanks for passing it along.

BOBO, I dont really have a set budget yet. I am just looking right now. This is the worst time of the year for me with the holidays and my kids liked to be born around this time also, so birthdays are eating up my funds right now.

Re: Buying used bows? [Re: jsplinter] #6000209 10/29/15 03:32 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
I'm going to be selling my bowtech insanity this year most likely.

28" draw

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide