Kansas Anybody? #5999601 10/29/15 02:52 AM
S
sqiggy Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
S
Who all is going to Kansas this year?
I always try to get up there the second weekend of Nov and hunt that whole week.
This year, I'm changing tactics. Going the week of Thanksgiving. Seems like the last 3 or 4 years, I get caught in the "lock down" phase. Hoping to see more bucks this time with them cruising looking for those last few does.
Plus, my guy said the biggest buck was killed last year the Monday before Thanksgiving.

Re: Kansas Anybody? [Re: sqiggy] #5999614 10/29/15 02:57 AM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
I will be up there off and on, as time allows, from next week through the weekend before Thanksgiving. I actually like early November and have had some luck in the past.

Good luck up

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Kansas Anybody? [Re: sqiggy] #5999618 10/29/15 03:00 AM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
I was going to say TREX, but see he answered already, he goes up there to sleep, which is hard for some of us to understand confused2

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Kansas Anybody? [Re: Western] #5999626 10/29/15 03:03 AM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: Western
I was going to say TREX, but see he answered already, he goes up there to sleep, which is hard for some of us to understand confused2

No sleep for the weary!!! Your just mad that you didn't get your updates rofl

Re: Kansas Anybody? [Re: txshntr] #5999636 10/29/15 03:09 AM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: txshntr

OK, you're just playing semantics....If I could remember if it was a "live" thread, I'd have a comeback bang If it was "live", that would have been "false advertising" rofl STX and I wasted 50# of popcorn on that deal....

Dennis

Re: Kansas Anybody? [Re: Western] #5999650 10/29/15 03:18 AM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms

OK, you're just playing semantics....If I could remember if it was a "live" thread, I'd have a comeback bang If it was "live", that would have been "false advertising" rofl STX and I wasted 50# of popcorn on that deal....

Over the years, you should both know by know that popcorn is wasted on me....I either don't shoot or I shoot on the first hunt grin

Re: Kansas Anybody? [Re: txshntr] #5999662 10/29/15 03:28 AM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W

Over the years, you should both know by know that popcorn is wasted on me....I either don't shoot or I shoot on the first hunt grin

Well, this time was "difernt", you sounded serious this time. We got up extra early (heck STX even put on a old HS cheerleaders outfit I heard), so we could cheer you on and you slept in...... SMDH

Good thing we can count on your dad, but kinda blows the "falling far from the tree" thing out of the water rofl

Dennis

Re: Kansas Anybody? [Re: sqiggy] #5999664 10/29/15 03:28 AM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Ramsey got it done too iirc???

Dennis

Re: Kansas Anybody? [Re: Western] #5999672 10/29/15 03:37 AM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms

Well, this time was "difernt", you sounded serious this time. We got up extra early (heck STX even put on a old HS cheerleaders outfit I heard), so we could cheer you on and you slept in...... SMDH

Good thing we can count on your dad, but kinda blows the "falling far from the tree" thing out of the water rofl

I have never slept-in in Kansas. My alarm clock was my updating tool and it didn't have the battery life to make it to the stand with me rofl

Ramsey got it done too iirc???

He did!!! Was by himself and sent the absolutely worst pictures you have ever seen. I sat by my phone waiting on updates and pictures. When I got the pictures, it was all blur and grass with some kind of body in the middle of it. Couldn't even make out the antlers bang

He is up there right now

Re: Kansas Anybody? [Re: sqiggy] #5999684 10/29/15 03:48 AM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Who's photo did he post? Must have taken better ones for the forum, nice buck iirc. Hell, I could be getting confused with the buck your dad took bang sucks getting old and tired

Dennis

Re: Kansas Anybody? [Re: Western] #5999695 10/29/15 04:02 AM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Who's photo did he post? Must have taken better ones for the forum, nice buck iirc. Hell, I could be getting confused with the buck your dad took bang sucks getting old and tired

He finally was able to get a clear one. Was a nice buck too.

Re: Kansas Anybody? [Re: sqiggy] #5999771 10/29/15 10:45 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I went for 8 days in late Sept this year. Harvest on dryland corn for silage and low moisture corn was being cut already. I will try to go back in rifle season again this year.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Kansas Anybody? [Re: sqiggy] #5999796 10/29/15 11:33 AM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
Probably won't get much time to do Kansas this year. crying I got 15 days home from the Stan in late November and my 10 year old girl is dying to shoot her first deer so we'll be at our panhandle place.

[Linked Image]
Re: Kansas Anybody? [Re: sqiggy] #5999951 10/29/15 01:36 PM
F
FoxTrot Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Im headed up next Wed for 12 days.

Originally Posted By: Chief Joe
I avoid Dick's and hope they fold.
Re: Kansas Anybody? [Re: sqiggy] #6000108 10/29/15 02:36 PM
T
Triplesnake Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
T
I might get to go for part of rifle season if my schedules align. Right now I think I've got about a 50% chance. frown

Re: Kansas Anybody? [Re: stxranchman] #6000115 10/29/15 02:38 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
I went for 8 days in late Sept this year. Harvest on dryland corn for silage and low moisture corn was being cut already. I will try to go back in rifle season again this year.

You just bow hunt it, or the full monty? Just curious how the tag deal works

I have a couple friend =s that have a lease upo there now, but they started off hunting rifle on public land. After seeing most bucks with broke off antler, they started strickly bow hunting. The lease they are on now, I believe they do both, but not 100% sure, I do know they rifle hunt it though.

Dennis

Re: Kansas Anybody? [Re: Western] #6000125 10/29/15 02:43 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

You just bow hunt it, or the full monty? Just curious how the tag deal works

I have a couple friend =s that have a lease upo there now, but they started off hunting rifle on public land. After seeing most bucks with broke off antler, they started strickly bow hunting. The lease they are on now, I believe they do both, but not 100% sure, I do know they rifle hunt it though.

I apply for the Muzzleloader 14 day season the last part of Sept. If I am unsuccessful I can then go back for the rifle season but have to use the ML. I (or I think)can hunt with a bow or crossbow during the ML season also, just have to read the regs to verify it. I see a few bucks with broken antlers in Sept when I hunt each year.

Re: Kansas Anybody? [Re: sqiggy] #6000131 10/29/15 02:50 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Hmm, that would seem to make applying for a ML tag senseless if you can use one during rifle anyway, unless I misunderstand what you meant. I do recall the bow season being very generous.

Stupid me had a chance one time to hunt a guys family land and never pursued it much, I was worried about "strings" attached since they where a working relationship with me, fact they still owe me money from 8 years ago, so I probably did the right thing LOL, still, they had 2 farms ranches with over 8k acres bang

Dennis

Re: Kansas Anybody? [Re: sqiggy] #6000151 10/29/15 02:58 PM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Didn't know you could archery hunt with a ML tag scratch but never looked to see if that is true.

Western, in Kansas, as an out of stater, you have to pick your weapon when getting a permit. ML is allowed in early ML season and December rifle season. Archery season is very long and the only weapon allowed during rut.

Re: Kansas Anybody? [Re: sqiggy] #6000157 10/29/15 03:00 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
As a non-res you have to apply for a permit for the weapon and season you want to hunt. You could use one in rifle season but you have to apply for and draw a permit for the rifle season. Apply for a ML permit only is for Sept or if you are unsuccessful then you can use it later on again in rifle season. Rifle season permit is rifle season time period only, no other season. You specify the weapon when you apply for the permit.

Re: Kansas Anybody? [Re: sqiggy] #6000161 10/29/15 03:03 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Thanks TREX, that sounds familiar. is/are LO tags also available? or is it still the same rules?

From what I read when I was looking into it, draw was a PITA as usual, but a LO could get them easier, may have been outfitters I was reading though, been a while. Would be neat to hunt there a few times, my buddy did it fairly cheap for a few years (public land) but said there was a lot of poaching in the area he started.

Dennis

Re: Kansas Anybody? [Re: Western] #6000170 10/29/15 03:07 PM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Thanks TREX, that sounds familiar. is/are LO tags also available? or is it still the same rules?

From what I read when I was looking into it, draw was a PITA as usual, but a LO could get them easier, may have been outfitters I was reading though, been a while. Would be neat to hunt there a few times, my buddy did it fairly cheap for a few years (public land) but said there was a lot of poaching in the area he started.

I am not aware of LO tags, but again, never looked into them. The draw isn't terribly difficult, you just need to know what area you will be hunting in April so you can list the Unit on your tag.

Poaching is an issue in many parts of the state. The laws are relatively relaxed and trespassing (LO rights) aren't as stringent as they are in Texas. Also, locals could give two bits for the deer. They just assume you kill them all.

Re: Kansas Anybody? [Re: Western] #6000177 10/29/15 03:13 PM
S
sqiggy Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
S

Kansas did away with LO tags years ago, thus making drawing a tag easier for NR's. And yes, NR has to apply for the weapon of choice for that season. So, if you apply for archery season, you can only use a bow or crossbow. You can bow hunt during rifle season but must wear orange during that time. Also, when applying, you must list the 2 units you want to hunt and those units must adjoin each other.

Re: Kansas Anybody? [Re: Western] #6000181 10/29/15 03:16 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

Years ago the LO could get tags/permits then assign/sell one to you. Now you have to apply for a permit by the weapon and season you want. Some areas/units have lots of permits and others not so many. Non-resident Mule Deer permits are few and far between. IIRC the two units I apply for have 80 or less for non-res for all weapons/seasons combined.

Re: Kansas Anybody? [Re: sqiggy] #6000275 10/29/15 04:09 PM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
Just got the email today that tag prices are going up as of 1 Jan 16. Looks like the NR tag (one any sex and one antlerless) will be $415. The NR license has gone up as well. bang

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide