Oil Trucks Disrupting Deer Hunting #5999925 10/29/15 01:23 PM
H
Hog Slayer Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
H
Hello,

Was wondering if anyone has any experience with oil trucks picking up oil during deer hunting season and disrupting hunting.

I have heard some people have had luck contacting the oil company and scheduling the pickups, but just wondering if anyone has had any problems with this.

Re: Oil Trucks Disrupting Deer Hunting [Re: Hog Slayer] #5999993 10/29/15 01:53 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
For a while at first, then it becomes routine and deer are not bothered by it.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Oil Trucks Disrupting Deer Hunting [Re: Hog Slayer] #6000003 10/29/15 01:57 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I hunted several years on a place in west Texas with "lots" of oil trucks coming and going all the time. Even 2am. It never seemed to bother the deer at all. They were use to it and it was a normal way of life for them.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Oil Trucks Disrupting Deer Hunting [Re: Hog Slayer] #6000017 10/29/15 02:01 PM
Curtis Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter

Agree with the routine. It shouldn't be much different than when being next to a highway I would think. I think I would be more concerned if one of the workers was trying to hunt or poach while out there. Then I could see a bigger issue.

Double Arrow Bow Hunting
www.doublearrowbowhunting.com
Bow hunters welcome!
Whitetail-Axis-Blackbuck-Fallow-Barasingha-Scimitar Oryx
Located in Gonzales County.
Visit our Facebook page for current updates!

Re: Oil Trucks Disrupting Deer Hunting [Re: Hog Slayer] #6000018 10/29/15 02:04 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
What bothers deer the most is changes from normal day to day activity. As a lease hunter you will not get the truck routine changed, the LO might or might not have a bit more luck (depending on big his mailbox money check is).

Re: Oil Trucks Disrupting Deer Hunting [Re: stxranchman] #6000034 10/29/15 02:10 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Oil Trucks Disrupting Deer Hunting [Re: Hog Slayer] #6000075 10/29/15 02:24 PM
H
HS2 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
I almost hesitate to admit this, but for a while I had a chance to hunt a big oil lease in Wyoming. The mule deer were so accustomed to the oil traffic that they would just sit and look at you. We would drive around until we saw one we liked, then get out and shoot it while the deer were standing there looking at us. It wasn't really true hunting, but it sure was fun. The place where we were didn't get much hunting pressure, so it was like hunting in the wild game park. As someone else said, anything that happens regularly the deer get used to. Where we were, the trucks drove through there every day and the animals thought it was normal.

One target range near me sometimes has deer come and feed near the targets. One year I was sighting in my rifle about three days before opening day, and deer were feeding behind the targets while we were shooting. They got so used to the gunshots that they didn't pay any attention. We were joking about saying "oops, I missed the target and hit a deer. What a shame. Guess I'll have to take it home."

Last edited by HS2; 10/29/15 02:25 PM.

Podcast: Reasoning Through the Bible
ReasoningThroughTheBible.com
Re: Oil Trucks Disrupting Deer Hunting [Re: HS2] #6000088 10/29/15 02:29 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: HS2
I almost hesitate to admit this, but for a while I had a chance to hunt a big oil lease in Wyoming. The mule deer were so accustomed to the oil traffic that they would just sit and look at you. We would drive around until we saw one we liked, then get out and shoot it while the deer were standing there looking at us. It wasn't really true hunting, but it sure was fun. The place where we were didn't get much hunting pressure, so it was like hunting in the wild game park. As someone else said, anything that happens regularly the deer get used to. Where we were, the trucks drove through there every day and the animals thought it was normal.

One target range near me sometimes has deer come and feed near the targets. One year I was sighting in my rifle about three days before opening day, and deer were feeding behind the targets while we were shooting. They got so used to the gunshots that they didn't pay any attention. We were joking about saying "oops, I missed the target and hit a deer. What a shame. Guess I'll have to take it home."

We hunt Mule Deer in West Texas on a low traffic pretty large ranch. Only traffic is the cattle guy in his white ranch truck checking cattle and water daily. If you have a white truck the deer will not pay attention to you, if it is any other color they start to ease off if you stop.

Re: Oil Trucks Disrupting Deer Hunting [Re: Hog Slayer] #6000094 10/29/15 02:30 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
I hunted a large lease West of Sterling city with a lot of O&G traffic along with ranch traffic, didnt bother the deer one bit, get out and walk, you'd get the normal deer reaction.

2 summers ago around here, they started putting in wells, deer moved big time. All the new traffic, tall drilling rigs and 24 hr operation was totally new and the deer moved to areas with less activity, now, this are back to normal and I frequently see deer around the new pad/holding sites.

I wouldn't hesitate hunting a O&G lease.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Oil Trucks Disrupting Deer Hunting [Re: Hog Slayer] #6000337 10/29/15 04:47 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
They get used to it. I've seen them not even stop eating corn as the truck drives by.

I wouldn't fret over it because oil is gonna get priority over hunting with land owners.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Oil Trucks Disrupting Deer Hunting [Re: stxranchman] #6000352 10/29/15 05:01 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Oil Trucks Disrupting Deer Hunting [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #6000355 10/29/15 05:02 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
They get used to it. I've seen them not even stop eating corn as the truck drives by.

I wouldn't fret over it because oil is gonna get priority over hunting with land owners.

aint doin so good right now though

Re: Oil Trucks Disrupting Deer Hunting [Re: Hog Slayer] #6000376 10/29/15 05:19 PM
B
BenBob Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
It doesn't bother the deer and I also think that the oil company will laugh at you big time it you try to reschedule the trucks.

Tired, Wired, and Uninspired
Re: Oil Trucks Disrupting Deer Hunting [Re: Hog Slayer] #6000517 10/29/15 06:47 PM
B
bp3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Hunted on a lease along Palo Duro canyon and would drive the inside of 400 acre wheat field and the mule deer ( does and small bucks ) would be bedded in the field about 150-200 yards from road and some would stand up and watch you drive by. Continue down the road 500 yards to gate. When you stopped to open gate they would leave the field for the canyon. Like Stx said they were used to rancher using the road on a regular basis. rifle

Re: Oil Trucks Disrupting Deer Hunting [Re: Hog Slayer] #6000553 10/29/15 07:10 PM
N
ndhunter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
I have been told that low flying helicopters don't bother them, I doubt oil trucks would be any different

They were putting wells all around my lease last few years, I think there was more disturbance from workers hauling [censored] up and down the county roads. That is over for now.

Re: Oil Trucks Disrupting Deer Hunting [Re: Navasot] #6000784 10/29/15 10:08 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: Navasot

Still beats a sharp poke in the eye cheers

Re: Oil Trucks Disrupting Deer Hunting [Re: Navasot] #6001369 10/30/15 10:35 AM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Navasot

Yep but them tanks still get full and oil and water have to be hauled.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Oil Trucks Disrupting Deer Hunting [Re: Hog Slayer] #6003830 10/31/15 11:08 PM
H
Hog Slayer Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
H

Yeah, I know they supposedly get used to it, but the thing that really gets me is last year, I had a huge whitetail trotting towards me, it could have been a 16 pointer for all I know as it had the biggest rack I had ever seen , I ranged it at 550 yds so was waiting for a closer shot when an oil truck came on the property and drove right between me and the deer. By time the oil truck got out of the way, the deer was running as fast as it could in the opposite direction. I still can't get over that. It was about 8 o'clock in the morning.

The land is ours, so the oil wells have a bright side to them as well as my Dad owns the land and mineral rights, but my Dad does not hunt, so my priorities don't always match his in respect to the oil trucks, etc.

A bigger gripe that I have than the oil trucks is how the oil and pipeline companies have cut in roads criss-crossing in all directions. They cut a road through the fence, install a cattle guard and call it good. Works good for cows, but not poachers. I used to have the property posted at all entrances, but now I can't hardly keep up with it with so many roads going through it.

I gave my Dad maps at all the places I would like the oil companies to install gates, but being so close to opening day, I'm sure nothing will be done in time for this season. I'm thinking about blocking the main entrance with my truck this time with a sign saying Please respect Texas deer hunters and to pick up the oil between 12 and 3 pm during deer hunting season. Not sure what that would do, if anything.

If they would install gates at all the oil and pipeline roads where they come in, that would be a huge help, but they design those roads so they can go fast from one property to the next, don't think they would be willing to stop and open up gates.

Re: Oil Trucks Disrupting Deer Hunting [Re: Hog Slayer] #6004023 11/01/15 01:49 AM
T
Txhillbilly Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
I drive an oil field truck. Most companies will bend over backwards for the landowners,and almost any driver will help you out also. Just ask.
One ranch I use to service the wells on was on the Brazos river near Granbury,Tx. The deer and hogs got so accustomed to seeing our trucks,they wouldn't pay any attention to us driving around.

Two bucks fought one day when I was training a new guy. The buck that lost was pretty beat up,he walked/limped across the well pad within 10 yards of us standing at the back of the trailer loading the truck.
The guy I was training asked me if the deer were tame,I said Nope,that deer just had his butt kicked and didn't care about us.

Re: Oil Trucks Disrupting Deer Hunting [Re: Hog Slayer] #6010313 11/04/15 03:06 PM
H
Hog Slayer Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
H
That is pretty cool to have seen the deer fighting. Yeah, all of the oil field folks have been real nice. I talked to my Dad and he talked to an oil guy and he said they already pick up oil at night, but need to haul water during the day as well. I gave him the days I was planning on going hunting and times because the oil guy indicated would be easier to schedule mid-day water runs. Will have to see how that goes.

Re: Oil Trucks Disrupting Deer Hunting [Re: Txhillbilly] #6011074 11/04/15 10:35 PM
A
Armalite260 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: Txhillbilly
I drive an oil field truck. Most companies will bend over backwards for the landowners,and almost any driver will help you out also. Just ask.
One ranch I use to service the wells on was on the Brazos river near Granbury,Tx. The deer and hogs got so accustomed to seeing our trucks,they wouldn't pay any attention to us driving around.

Two bucks fought one day when I was training a new guy. The buck that lost was pretty beat up,he walked/limped across the well pad within 10 yards of us standing at the back of the trailer loading the truck.
The guy I was training asked me if the deer were tame,I said Nope,that deer just had his butt kicked and didn't care about us.

I was on a lease for 6 years in Reagan county, and had oil trucks all the time on it. The first yr man it irritated me when they'd come by first thing in the morning.. So I stopped one of the drivers and asked if he could come out later and why. He just laughed at me and said the deer didn't pay any attention to him I rolled my eyes and walked off. That evening same driver came back right at 5:00 drove by waived, and the deer at my feeder didn't flinch. Later that yr I got his cell, and he'd text me when he'd see a good deer on my place and where. He helped me kill my biggest buck off that place the next yr by doing that. I bought him many cases of cold beer and we're still good friends and speak weekly to this day. Fun times.

Re: Oil Trucks Disrupting Deer Hunting [Re: Hog Slayer] #6011356 11/05/15 12:45 AM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
The oil and vacuum truck drivers really have no control over when they can come in they don't work for the oil company they contract. Pumpers are a different story and will usually work with you and change their route. Try and work with the hands and they'll work with you especially the pumpers their in there daily. Get cross with them or give them a hard time and things can get miserable or worse. Had a guy in Westbrook giving one of my pumpers a hard time so I cut the production back to a 3 days operation and after the next check went out the owner called wanting to know why the check was so low. When I told him why he straightened the hunters out and didn't lease to them the next year.

Re: Oil Trucks Disrupting Deer Hunting [Re: Hog Slayer] #6011464 11/05/15 01:39 AM
T
Theringworm Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
I currently hunt on a lease with heavy oil field traffic, 24/7. I hate it to no end but can do nothing about it. Deer along the roads will scatter without question however, the deer at the feeders simply look in the direction of the sound and continue to feed. So, unless you are hunting right next to where roads are its a non issue. The benefit, as others have mentioned is that hey do get use to the traffic and most of the time pay no attention to you. The mule deer for sure could care less. Plus, all the noise they make makes it very easy for me to close the distance without ever being heard. There are pluses and minuses.

Re: Oil Trucks Disrupting Deer Hunting [Re: Theringworm] #6011474 11/05/15 01:44 AM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Another plus is they get used to a variety of smells, I've been know to rub my boots in crude oil as a cover scent.

Re: Oil Trucks Disrupting Deer Hunting [Re: Hog Slayer] #6012196 11/05/15 02:46 PM
H
Hog Slayer Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
H
Good advice on getting along with the oil folks, don't thanink I've made any enemies, last thing I would want to do is anything that would reduce the oil money coming in.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide